Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westnet settings for router

Options
  • 23-12-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,

I didn't find anything on a search so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone know what settings I would need to use on a Linksys router (WRT54G) to get it to connect to the internet? I've tried multiple times before using similar settings to those on my laptop but for some reason it never managed to connect via Wifi to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Should work on default but You'll prob have to change the ip address of it as the Linksys will be 192.168.1.1 and the Westnet receiver will more than likely be 192.168.1.100 and they'll confilct, lan and wan cant be in the same subnet, which is why it won't work for You.

First of all disable/turn off Your wireless and connect to the Linksys with the ethernet cable. Login to the Linksys on 192.168.1.1, on the first Basic Setup tab change the Local IP Address to 192.168.111.1 and apply. This will kick Your pc as it won't be in the same range to allow You to connect to the Linksys anymore when You change it, simplest thing is to just reboot the pc to get a new ip lease in the new range. Should work then, leave the Internet Connection Type on Automatic Configuration DHCP. Click on Wireless and rename the Wireless network SSID to whatever You want to call the network, apply and then click on Wireless Security and set a password.

You can now turn back on the wireless and connect wirelessly to the network using the password

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Aside from a snag with the DNS (Had to set it manually) it works perfectly, thanks! :)

Shouldn't have to, automatic DHCP should get it from the receiver, but You could have just used the receiver ip 192.168.1.100 as dns and it would have got you out. At least its running, hope You secured it, most people don't

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fquigley

Hi I read the above details and I was wondering could the same actions be applied to a Netopia 2247NWG ( previously applied to Eircom) I just moved to Mayo and the house has Westnet but no router. Am not working at the moment so would like to avoid having to buy something (Not cheap - just broke!). Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards

No, the Netopia is a modem router, it hasn't got an rj45 wan port, instead has rj11 dsl port which connects to a phone socket.

You can probably get it going by stopping it routing and turning it into an access point, login and disable dhcp and stop using the dsl port (can't use it anyway). There may be problems this way though, Your best bet is to get a proper one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fquigley

Thanks PMT for the confirmation. I figured this would be the case and I suspect that if i spent the time energy and screaming frustration I probably could get it to work! Thankfully I can now justify buying one to the missus cause the 'guy' on the boards told me to!
    Cheers for that.

Incidentally any recommendations? (cheapish easy use good distance?)

fquigley wrote: »
    Incidentally any recommendations? (cheapish easy use good distance?)

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

Linksys is a good brand that don't usually give trouble, much better than the Belkin shíte Pc World and Harvey Norman will tell You is the dogs gonads. Two antennae will give good coverage throughout Your house. Elara are an Irish store and take laser which is a bonus, You'd have it in a few days.

Keep in mind You may need to change the default ip of the Linksys from 192.168.1.1 if it conflicts with the Westnet reciever, if this happens give it 192.168.2.1

Advertisement