Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What players will have a big year in 2010

Options
  • 23-12-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So just two brackets big name pro's & local Irish players.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

I like this idea. I'll be first.

I think 2010 will see alot of the same faces doing well in Irish poker, nicnic, wally, doke. The online guys will continue to lead the way online, reesy, dagunman, smoothcall and o'd.

however I also think 2010 will see
    I think Big McG will have an even bigger year this year. He'd be my one to watch. Also have a feeling that Dermot Blaine could bink another big score, hes a great player and now with the roll to play fearlessly in the bigger tournaments I think he will do very well.

Few other guys who may have a big year, Marc Mcdonnell, jason thomkins and derek muarry.

Dont care too much for 2 major pros to look out for worldwide. Too many to choose from and i havent played enough or with enough of them to make an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

I nominate Rory Brown under both categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I don't know about next year but looking at the IPR award best player thing and I'm at a loss how Dermot, Reesy, and Silky aren't nominated.

I think theres probably about 30ish very good players in the country that play loads live and it really comes down to who heaters.

two young guys that caught my eye this year that seldom get a mention in these sorta threads are TAG and TJ.

I predict an Irish bracelet in the summer from one of the new guard, I'm hoping it'll be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭j10spades

TAG and Mark McKeever 2 quality player's if you give them chip's, they both have solid game's and think about the game on a different level imo, oh yeah and that luckbox Graham Masters

can't pick a pro as i've only ever sat with them for short session's..i'll go for Roy the boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I did pick Padraig a couple of weeks ago to have a great 2010 in a boyles interview but I'm worried now he may of peaked to early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Some guys that havn't being mentioned, I think oldjude from 2+2, hes a young Irish lad from Meath will be one of the top Irish online winners next year, don't think he ever gets much of a mention on here as he doesnt post or people don't know him. From his PTR pages he appears to have made 400k+ this year which would rival any other Irish player online I would imagine?
    Suilen from here should also have a very good year. Also also expect insyder19 (German/Russian, appeared in one of the 2m2m episodes as a student) to be beating the 25/50+ games on FTP and Euro sites, was playing stakes 100 times smaller 18 months ago and has progressed into a top class online cash player in both 6max and HU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭HeeHawsCantona

digiman wrote: »
    Some guys that havn't being mentioned, I think oldjude from 2+2, hes a young Irish lad from Meath will be one of the top Irish online winners next year, don't think he ever gets much of a mention on here as he doesnt post or people don't know him. From his PTR pages he appears to have made 400k+ this year which would rival any other Irish player online I would imagine?
    QUOTE]
    Is that the kid who ran up the sideevent at the deepstack last year? I played with him in this and also in some cash games at the Macau festival the year before if it is him. He was pretty good and much better than most of the guys who get mentioned on here. From my limited exposure to him he has a pretty good image at the table also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

^^ thats him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ShipIt

As far as donkaments go I have no clue and as NicNic stated it will obv be one of the select few that play all the major events that heater...

Cash I expect Jude to boom next year if he continues to try and move up as he has ran god awful the latter of this year...
    There is one mid twentys irish lad that I know well that has won a bunch playing hu this year and if he lets me ill edit copy his ptr which is sick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Wow - hard to call really (obv); I mean, do you say who you think will make it as they're set up now? Or if things fall their way? There's a cadge of talented players out there who can't afford some of the buyin costs needed to really really have a breakout year...

That said.

Global: Kara Scott should see a monster year ahead of her. I know she's done well, but 2010 could well see her lay waste before her. Add in the fact that she'll be the new LNP hostess and maybe some of that nosebleed talent/bravado will rub off on her.
    I'd like to rub off on her too.

Irish: Two names come to mind - both Cork based. Our own Suilen from here. I;ve seen him running deep on several MTT's over the past month, and we all know what a natural talent he is when it comes to the green felt. As we'd say ourselves, *he knows!!*

And Martin Noonan, a player from the macau in Corcaigh. I get the impression that MN could care less about all the hype and hoohah surrounding going super-pro (continental/america) but he has a wonderful sense of when he's ahead or behind. I;ve seen him make some exceptional laydowns, and some equally astute calls. He's always final tabling which is a further testament IMO.

And sure why not tip myself? When I'm not letting the boredom get the better of me I'm a damn fine MTT player, and I've certainly logged some solid 4 figure cashes in Yamaha over the years - the trick is to not lose 4 figures the day after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boba_fett3099

nicnicnic wrote: »
    two young guys that caught my eye this year that seldom get a mention in these sorta threads are TAG and TJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭LTL

digiman wrote: »

Not trying to derail this thread but I don't know how this guy isn't mentioned more, his blog is very interesting. Just an example, playing 25/50 against isildur1 on i-poker and by the looks of it from some hands posted, seriously outplaying him.
    For anyone interested:

http://www.leggopoker.com/blogs/oldjude/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Suilen...he's an an amazing run atm.
    Tbh, I'm not too well up on the online cash players of Ireland, personally, through railling I'm not too confident of the usual suspects, I thing several might be on a downswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭reilly110

cookier ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is this the Jude everyone's talking about?

DSCF2598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is this the Jude everyone's talking about?

DSCF2598.jpg

Dario?

Played with that Jude in Waterford last year and was one of the most impressive Irish players I've ever played with. Murdered us all on the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Hang on Il get the crystal ball out . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

The-Rigger wrote: »

Anyone want to start a campaig or facebook page to make him the most viewed poker player on the database?

IIRC there was a prop bet on here a few years back to get one of the boardsies onto the top of the list.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 oldjude

Hey guys. Don't spend much time on here, but thanks for all the support. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

oldjude wrote: »
    Hey guys. Don't spend much time on here, but thanks for all the support. =)

Googling your name every day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

Cat O'Neill and Rob Taylor
    they had a great 2009 and things should even get better than that
    there's my hot ti[. though its a bit obv really, they are just a bit good
    Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

who knows.

The live guys who impressed me this year and who i've learned lots from actual table time with have been

Smoothcall, Pete murphy, Donal o'connor, albert kenny, eoin olin, big mick, doke, rob taylor, jay "wham bam" renehen, hawkeye, michael o'sullivan and jason thomkins

all for different reasons.

I agree that tag tj and that crew are improving nicely. Have discussed hands with tag and he seems real hungry which is great. Met sullen down in Galway and was very impressed with his attitude to the game.

That all said i think there is a group of about 40 that are all capable of having great years.

All of this speculation will be insignificant when me and brown chop the IO heads up.
    And we will pay for dinner afer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

coillcam wrote: »
    Anyone want to start a campaig or facebook page to make him the most viewed poker player on the database?

IIRC there was a prop bet on here a few years back to get one of the boardsies onto the top of the list.....

They'd probably shut him down then.
    I'm impressed he is so high without any campaign. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

ha i think jude was the only person i ever mentioned/complimented in my old blog ages ago. sick read imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

I think the guy who wins the WSOP Main event this year will have a big year.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

someone from portlaoise, im just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Only about 100 irish players making a genuine profit at the moment very few post on boards though i'm 1 of them and i'll be the best player of 2010. NO Doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr check raise

brady23 wrote: »
    Only about 100 irish players making a genuine profit at the moment very few post on boards though i'm 1 of them and i'll be the best player of 2010. NO Doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm.. posting at half 1 on christmas morning, methinks a few beers have been had...

Advertisement