Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

copyright queston

• 23-12-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question on copyright for ye.
    Whats the law in relation to animal photography. For example if I took a picture of someone cat, dog, horse or other animal I own the copyright yes?

Now can I sell these pictures without the need for permission as long as the pictures were takn on public property?

I would appreciate any links to Irish copyright law if people know them off hand! I've read the rights on photographers rights on digital Ireland and I require further elaboration.

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Unless the dog has a good grasp of the English language, and has a suitable legal team, you should be alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Thanks Fajitas! :D

So I don't need the owners permision either then?

It was on or shot from public property, yeah?

I'd risk it for a biscuit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Unless the dog has a good grasp of the English language, and has a suitable legal team, you should be alright :)

But what about his owner?

OP, I keep/race a few greyhounds, all the races are videoed for use on CC TV in the stadium, the video operator also sells DVD's to anyone who wants to buy, and claims copyright.

But what about his owner?
    It was in a public place. I do wonder what the finest of fine prints says about animals and copyright/rights of privacy though.
    OP, I keep/race a few greyhounds, all the races are videoed for use on CC TV in the stadium, the video operator also sells DVD's to anyone who wants to buy, and claims copyright.
    That's all set in place from the track itself - They hand over permission, and by you entering the premises, you're agreeing with the T&C.

Off topic, my first photographic job was taking the photofinish at a greyhound stadium when I was 14/15 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

That's all set in place from the track itself - They hand over permission, and by you entering the premises, you're agreeing with the T&C.

Well as usual in this country it all happened sort of by default, I don't think owners were ever worried about photographic copyright.:D

Fr Denis Faul once said that if lady Godiva rode down the track in Dundalk the punters would be shouting at her to get out of the way.

There's a big row going on now, IGB have taken to putting the videos on their website and the video operators are screaming about loss of sales, IGB say the nightly fee covers them...
    Off topic, my first photographic job was taking the photofinish at a greyhound stadium when I was 14/15 years old.

Think I knew your dad so. We managed to make it down to Waterford track once or twice, gave it up when the cops pulled me for speeding two weekends in a row coming out of Mullinavat on a nice straight road, sneaky buggers were hiding behind a pub.

nilhg wrote: »
    There's a big row going on now, IGB have taken to putting the videos on their website and the video operators are screaming about loss of sales, IGB say the nightly fee covers them...
    Really? That's a bit of a PITA for the lads on the cameras.

Think I knew your dad so. We managed to make it down to Waterford track once or twice, gave it up when the cops pulled me for speeding two weekends in a row coming out of Mullinavat on a nice straight road, sneaky buggers were hiding behind a pub.

Aye, I'd say you would have bumped into him once or twice alright - He got around ;)

And they weren't just hiding behind the pub, there's an electrical/telephone pole about 9 inches out from the wall, they'd lie in there and put the camera through the gap, you'd never spot'em :)

Advertisement