Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a very sad morning

• 23-12-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

it was a very sad morning for this old boy and the old girl, we had to park our beloved w201, due to the cuts in my invilidity pension, and the carbon tax on fuel, it was no longer viable to keep it on the road, i worked in south carolina u.s.a. during the 60s, a popular bumper sticker at the time used to read< we will never forget>, a reference to the american civil war, to the f. failures and their cohorts the snots, may i say we will never forget.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

:mad: Things may pick up and you may be able to get her back on the road. Buy a lotto ticket for Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I love the 190e. shame to have to stop driving it :( You have my sympathies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say we'll see alot more of this unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Hey Old Boy, please do post some pictures of your Benz... what year is she and what engine does she have? I have to admit I'm an Italian lover but this particular German lady is (was) a very appealing one... rare yet very tasty. :) Sorry to ask but is she an AMG out of interest?

I really do hope you will be able to keep her & preserver her. It’s always tough to leave an ‘old and loved one’ go due to financial reasons…not a nice feeling... L

Again, please do post pictures if you can… would love to see her…

Best regards,
    CarMuppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

old boy wrote: »
    it was a very sad morning for this old boy and the old girl, we had to park our beloved w201, due to the cuts in my invilidity pension, and the carbon tax on fuel, .

The cuts were not that severe were they ?? or did I miss something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

w201s don't die, they bide their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...OP sorry for your woes.

I have to say, this govt and all it's cohorts have completely failed everyone, on so many fronts, that I don't know where to begin.....that someone in the OP's circumstances simple requirement for transport, should be sacrificed on the altar of some Green (Lunatic) Party false agenda is just disgusting.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....that someone in the OP's circumstances simple requirement for transport, should be sacrificed on the altar of some Green (Lunatic) Party false agenda is just disgusting.
    How much was the carbon tax on fuel, 5c/litre?

Anan1 wrote: »
    How much was the carbon tax on fuel, 5c/litre?

Plus the €9 per week deduction in weekly income..
    Hardly justifies locking up a car :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

isn't the car manual ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

just below 5c, but as he said, they also cut his invilidity pension, so i'd say it's a combination of things.

Being between '82 and '93, it might not be old enough for classic insurance, if it's one of the newer ones, otherwise that might have saved a few bop.

Try preserve the car and when your insurance, tax etc. go down due to being a classic, you might just have the gap again, to drive her again.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

vectra wrote: »
    Could be on a tight enough budget as is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

The cuts were not that severe were they ?? or did I miss something? :confused:

hi vetra, when you have only a little, any cut is deep, as there is nothing there to save you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

hi vetra, when you have only a little, any cut is deep, as there is nothing there to save you.
    Hi Old Boy,
    Sad story really. I could never understand the motor tax (car ownership tax I call it) stupidity in this country and the way it is calculated.
    By the way, are you going to keep the Baby-Benz or you wish to sell it to a good home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the car is a 190e 1.8 auto, petrol, 128,000 on the clock, genuine milage,
    while we have had it it has never required a repair, just the serviceing + tyres,
    one has to decide what has to go, with most things pared to the bone, the 201 was a luxury that we could not afford,
    we are trying to see if we can keep it, only time will tell, as i have an amount of medical bills looming it looks difficult, but a my mother used to say
    we never died of winter yet or begged a warm summer,
    to those of you who have sympathy with our plight our heartfelt thanks, to those of you who wonder how such a small (to them) amount of money can make such a difference, i hope you never end up as we have,
    a happy christmas to each and every contributer to this thread, and may the next year be better than this one for each and every one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wishing you all the best, old boy. Sorry you were forced to take your pride and joy off the road :(

Every cloud has a silver lining though. You can't currently afford to run your car. Selling it would be madness though, as you would only get pennies for it. So you are forced to keep it, maybe run the engine every week or two and drive it on your driveway to prevent the brakes ceasing and tyre damage. Better times will come and you can look forward to one day getting your car back on the road again. Keep up your spirits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Sounds like a beaut of a car, my fav merc next to the 123...

Its just a car and you have your health and your experience!

I know only too well
    I too am in an invalidity pension and have to fork out for my car repayments every week along with running it.
    This is why I said that the 9 euro per week cut is not the end of the world
    I also got a cut in my wifes allowance in the budget and to top it off I lost my child benefit as my son is 18 and as such gets nil .. Even though he is doing his leaving cert at present.
    Dont park it up bud.
    ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Sad state of affairs when normal folk like you are feeling the severity of the governemnts cuts like this. This is not meant to happen in a just society.

Driving a mercedes is indeed a pleasure to be savoured. maybe you could trade it for a classic. Huge saving in the tax alone, and no major nct bills to deal with, low insurance. And you,d still enjoy driving a car that was made to last.

Its like putting a finger up to the government. Now that cant be bad.:)

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

i miss the old 190s

my da had a 2 liter deep blue one. one of the most solid cars he ever had.

the last of the over-engineered mercs. they were built to last :rolleyes:

please dont let it die, if you have to sell it, pass it on to a merc enthusiast who will look after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My sympathies OP.

It's a bit ridiculous that cars like this are being put off the road by 'green' policies. Build one great car that'll do a million miles, or five beacons of eco-mediocrity. Which is better for the polar bears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Could be on a tight enough budget as is

rent your sofa to couch surfers.

that'll keep the cash comin in :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pdfile wrote: »
    rent your sofa to couch surfers.

that'll keep the cash comin in :cool:

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that OP, a great car. Could you change to a pre-1980 Merc and avoid the motor tax that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Well the Green Scum Party (the reason the FFer's are in power) supported giving a cut to the blind pension never mind the extortionate and joke "carbon tax"

When folks like the op are on a limited income remember perhaps their choice was paying the increased rate for home heating oil or petrol.

This country needs an election to wipe the current anti car Gov out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

its a shame but , nothing to be crying about
    low income peeople cant afford to run gas guzzling luxergy cars
    surprized no ,i think thats normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ddarraghh wrote: »
    its a shame but , nothing to be crying about
    low income peeople cant afford to run gas guzzling luxergy cars
    surprized no ,i think thats normal
    First of all , here in Europe we call it petrol.

Second, please define a 'luxergy' car. To me, luxury implies unnecessary expense. 190s can be had for less than a grand. Should 'low income people' be restricted to cars that are rubbish as well as cheap?

Finally, yes there is something to 'cry about' here. There would be no problem at all with 'low income people' driving nice older cars except that they are taxed into oblivion, because the government is hooked on the income it derives from people buying new cars.

Think of how much better off we would all be in real terms if public policy encouraged people to buy good cars and look after them, rather than paying the perpetual car loan to own the latest and greatest ****ebox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Here's wishing you all the best old_boy, i do love the 190e, great looking car.

Question to OP
    Seeing as you are on an invalidity pension.
    Were you awarded a primary medical cert for your condition? :confused:
    just curious

Good luck OP, hope your financial situation gets better early in the new year nad you'll get the Merc back on the road.

Off topic: I can't believe there is no special/nil rate of motor tax for handicapped persons, or is there?

And the best way to keep the car in tiptop shape in the meantime is to add fuel stabiliser in the tank, change the engine oil and filter (quality is not important really here), run the engine until it's nice and toasty, remove the plugs and dump in a small splash of new oil in the cylinders, refit the plugs. Leave the leads disconnected and give it a short crank. Replace the leads and disconnect the battery. Then just from time to time (every couple of months) rotate the engine by hand for a few full turns using a wrench.

Remove the front mats (I take they are removable the same ways as in W124) and open the doors of the car every time it's nice and sunny and dry day. When the weather gets better give it a nice wash/wax from time to time. If you have a garage leave at two windows slightly open.

That should keep it in nice shape until you can use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Wishing you and yours a very happy Christmas anyway.

Advertisement