Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old shopping centre

Options
  • 23-12-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Was over in the marshes today and said to myself " i havent been in the old shopping centre in ages i must go over". I was shocked when i went over theres hardly a place open in there but even more surprising the place was busy as hell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

louthguy25 wrote: »
    Was over in the marshes today and said to myself " i havent been in the old shopping centre in ages i must go over". I was shocked when i went over theres hardly a place open in there but even more surprising the place was busy as hell

To a lot of locals, it is still THE shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

But theres damn all in the place apart from tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

It's due for a major renovation & upgrade next year, so maybe the owners/managers of the centre are emptying the centre for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

gipi wrote: »
    It's due for a major renovation & upgrade next year, so maybe the owners/managers of the centre are emptying the centre for it?

They`ll let anyone in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    They`ll let anyone in here :D

Ain't that the truth!! :D

/offtopic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

gipi wrote: »

They've been talking about that major renovation for 15 years.
    The plans that were pictured in The Argus and Democrat (and put up here) aren't the first ones I've seen.
    I'm sure they won't be the last.
    The current owners have definitely been trying to empty the place since they bought it.
    The previous owners were trying to empty it 10 years ago.
    I won't believe that any renovation's gonna happen until I see the bulldozers go in to knock it down until I see the new building actually going up!

ps. BTW, the current owners are Tesco. But they don't really publicise that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

I for one would hate to let the truth get in the way of a good rumour :)

But...according to a reliable source, the only thing holding the whole redevelopment up is one of the butchers who actually own the shop premises as opposed to renting it, and they are holding out for a big payday from tesco to allow them to knock the place,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

there's a planning permission notice gone up on the doors, surely they couldn't apply for permission if they didn't own the entire building? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

well obviously they've reached an agreement of some sort.

If not there is nothing to prevent them from applying for planning permission anyway, its up then to anyone opposing it to lodge their complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I for one would hate to let the truth get in the way of a good rumour :)

But...according to a reliable source, the only thing holding the whole redevelopment up is one of the butchers who actually own the shop premises as opposed to renting it, and they are holding out for a big payday from tesco to allow them to knock the place,

Traynors butchers and Peter Marks have 99 year leases with the owners so in effect they still have 65 years left on them.so make up your own mind on this.This time next year the new development will be well on belive me I am in the Know/;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

belive me I am in the Know/;)

Lucky you. :confused:

Advertisement