Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia 2247nwg ethernet input

Options
  • 23-12-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi guys, hope some people can help me out there. I have an Eircom Netopia 2247nwg. On the back it has 4 ethernet outputs and one dsl input.

What I want to know is there some way I can make it take an ethernet input and use that connection to broadcast a wireless signal.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Probably. Check the settings on the 2246 for DHCP, you want the IP's it assigns to clients to be compatible with the IP of the device you plug it into (e.g. cable modem/whatever[I'll call that provider]).Say provider had IP of 192.168.100.254 (as in the case of a UPC cable modem), you'd want to use a DHCP range 192.168.100.x and a SM of 255.255.255.0
    Make sure the client pc's use provider as their gateway

Good luck, but I don't guarantee to see any replies to this thread, I'm just popping in !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Probably. Check the settings on the 2246 for DHCP, you want the IP's it assigns to clients to be compatible with the IP of the device you plug it into (e.g. cable modem/whatever[I'll call that provider]).Say provider had IP of 192.168.100.254 (as in the case of a UPC cable modem), you'd want to use a DHCP range 192.168.100.x and a SM of 255.255.255.0
    Make sure the client pc's use provider as their gateway

Good luck, but I don't guarantee to see any replies to this thread, I'm just popping in !

Don't heed this, this is completely wrong. Having dhcp enabled on the Netopia would never work as it would assign an ip lease with the gateway being the dsl port.

Not sure what You're trying to do but You could use the Netopia as an access point only, to do this You must disable dhcp, but You'll need it plugged in directly to the lan port of a router which handles the routing and dhcp

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Thanks for the replies guys,

Some more info on what im tryin to do:

I'm going to college in ul. In our house we all have network access points in our rooms. What I want to do is turn that ethernet access point into a wireless access point using the netopia router.

Any help would be brilliant!

Yeah, what I described above should work but You must disable dhcp so the connection in the wall handles dhcp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Myceliman

Hello everyone. Thank you for your input in advance :)

So the story is... practically the same!

I live in a huge complex, with internet being provided by an ISP for the whole building. It is provided by just one ethernet port in my apartment. nothing else.

i have to connect PPPoE with username and password every time i want go online.

I want to take this signal, and make it wireless. how do i do that?

and further more, i have a netopia 2247nwg router to assist me in this task. ```do i need another router now?

• Advertisement

Myceliman wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Thank you for your input in advance :)

So the story is... practically the same!

I live in a huge complex, with internet being provided by an ISP for the whole building. It is provided by just one ethernet port in my apartment. nothing else.

i have to connect PPPoE with username and password every time i want go online.

I want to take this signal, and make it wireless. how do i do that?

and further more, i have a netopia 2247nwg router to assist me in this task. ```do i need another router now?

You need an Ethernet wireless router, the Netopia is of no use to you. You add the PPPoE to the router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Please don't revive four year old threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement