Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to view/manage mysql database?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 9:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a good few websites; a few Wordpress Blogs, a Joomla site, and some PHPBB forums - some are active and others are not. I want to try to get at some of the data within them but I haven't got a clue about databases whatsoever. I went into my PhpMyAdmin and exported the databases so I can have a look around and try to find some data - but its pretty messy in excel and annoying to view.

I'm guessing there must be some sort of tools that shows you the database and extract certian data. I'm looking mainly for the details of people who registered for the sites etc

Any suggestions? Please bear in mind that this is totally new to me so as simple as possible would be great

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Install phpmyadmin on your home PC and just do local sql queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

phpmyadmin is probably the easiest

There are quite a few desktop tools available as well, but they all assume that you know what is in each table (more or less)

If you use the search function in PhpMyadmin for something you know exists eg. a unique username or email address, you should be able to work out which table holds what data

I like HeidiSQL and was recently impressed by Toad. They tend to have a few more features, look nicer, and be more responsive than phpmyadmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

I used to use a tool called MySQL Control Center (MySQLCC) back in the day when I worked with MySQL, seem to recall it was pretty decent. Probably been superseded by better stuff nowadays though.

Edit; yeah, looks like MySQLCC is a gonner. I've been looking into that Toad tool that SBS mentioned above, for SQL Server, gather they do a MySQL freeware one too;
    http://www.toadsoft.com/toadmysql/Overview.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Zascar wrote: »
    I have a good few websites; a few Wordpress Blogs, a Joomla site, and some PHPBB forums - some are active and others are not. I want to try to get at some of the data within them but I haven't got a clue about databases whatsoever. I went into my PhpMyAdmin and exported the databases so I can have a look around and try to find some data - but its pretty messy in excel and annoying to view.

I'm guessing there must be some sort of tools that shows you the database and extract certian data. I'm looking mainly for the details of people who registered for the sites etc

Any suggestions? Please bear in mind that this is totally new to me so as simple as possible would be great

Cheers
    Just log back into phpMyAdmin on each of your servers, and instead of exporting the database just browse the data from there. You need to access the tables in the database to do this. You can find the tables in the left column. If you are after user accounts then just look for any table with the words account or user in it etc etc.. Click on the table you want to inspect. The right column will load the table structure and data. You want data, so click the Browse tab at the top and woila!

Some sites split user accounts into two or more tables which makes it difficult to browse without some sort of knowledge of how databases work.

You can also export a table instead of the entire database. To do this, just click the Export tab while viewing a table.

Keep in mind data protection laws when using this data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys I'll give that a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

I quite like the MYsql Query Browser http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

If you're used to windows applications, you'll probably find it easier to get into than PHPMyAdmin.

Advertisement