Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Oil Leak

• 23-12-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi can anyone offer advice on a domestic oil leak? :( Quite a lot of oil has leaked out of my boiler (the boiler is right outside the back wall) and into stones on the yard. My house really stinks of oil and I've no idea how to get rid of it. Will it eventually just go away, or will I need to dig up the affected area? Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As much oil you think leaked has not leaked... it looks worse than it is - tends to be the case with oil. Throw down some sand on it .. leave for a day and brush it up.

As for the leak, it from the fuel line, probably a loose connection on the flexi hose into the burner. If you can post a pic tomorrow of the boiler when you remove the front panel i can show you. It needs to be solved as you may draw air into the oil line and then get airlocked , which in turn will stop the boiler working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

really really really important to get this cleared up asap.water will seperate the molocules in the oil and it will disperse into the cement and can cause major problems.get it checked.company in dublin alpha enviromental may be able to help you out.may be an insurance claim.dont ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the long post, I'm clueless when it comes to anything to do with heating, oil tanks etc

I'm not sure how much oil has leaked, as it disappeared into the stones around the house. I used up €200 of oil in one month, even though the heat is really only on in the evenings and mornings. Anyway, I ran out of oil, and a friend had a look and said that an ill-fitting nut was allowing oil to drip out. Anyway to cut a long (not to mention boring!) story short, a new delivery of oil came whilst I went to get a new nut (taking the old one with me). Unfortunately my friend forgot to turn off the oil at the tank and by the time I got home and realized what was happening (about two hours later), the oil was trickling out of the boiler. The boiler is back working again, but the smell in the house is unbearable. Its really giving me a headache and making me feel sick. Do you think it will go away in a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fragglefur wrote: »
    Unfortunately my friend forgot to turn off the oil at the tank and by the time I got home and realized what was happening (about two hours later),

Oh dear. Id say you lost about 25 - 40 litres
    Do you think it will go away in a few days?

Not a chance sorry. I hope your well if you have one isnt near by, we have a house that we bought years ago, a faulty tank leaked oil, and ruined the well for near on 5 years..

. Anyway, I ran out of oil, and a friend had a look and said that an ill-fitting nut was allowing oil to drip out.

Has that solved the leak?

this needs to be addressed asap.contact your insurance company.this spill needs to be contained quickly.try someone tomorrow.really

• Advertisement

Oh dear, I'm scared now :eek:. It's worse than I thought. I didn't end up with a new nut (couldn't get one), but, the guy in the shop wrapped white tape around it and it seems to have worked. My water is on the mains supply, so no well to contaminate, thankfully.

I really hope I don't have to dig up the whole yard and then go down the insurance route :(

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them. Though I'm seriously panicking now...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try for a local boiler repair service person. they should be able to point you in the right direction. Don't worry yourself too much, but do something tomorrow.

Thanks, I will. Hopefully I can get someone on Christmas Eve.

Sorry.not trying to worry you. Just don't leave untreated. Keep us posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It really depends on the amount of oil that spilled. It would seem that it just hasn't gone into the stones in the yard, but also under the foundations - probably where the pipes go into the house. If you can open this area up a bit it may help to get rid of the smell. If it is kerosene it will probably evaporate in time - the time will depend on the amount.
    Running the heating will make it smell more, but also will help to evaporate the oil. It is unlikely that you will get anyone to do anything before Christmas. If it persists, then you will need to get the experts in to lift floors etc. to determine how far the leak has travelled.
    I heard a story recently of a company recomended by the local council who sent a report saying that they had dug 20 holes and that the whole garden would need to be dug out. I could see no sign of oil damage, and the owner said that they did not even dig 6 holes. So be careful who you get out.
    Jim.

And get the leak properly fixed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

The white tape will solve the leak until the nut needs to be opened again.
    its prob the bleed screw that got damaged.
    i pm you with details of a good boiler man.

CC

Hi,

thanks to everyone for your replies, I was so stressed yesterday. Things seem a bit better now, I think. I couldn't get anyone out today, but my brother had a look. He found a tiny hole in the wall were the oil managed to get into the bathroom (had a dodgy builder, but that's another story!) and he filled it with silicone. The leak seems to have completely stopped now and the smell is really only in two rooms at the moment.

Thanks again for your help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

A tip to help reduce/absorb the smell of kerosene.......... chop up some onions on a dinner plate and sit it in the room, somehow onions help, don't know how but they do.

I'll try the onions! They'll all think I've gone mad
    thanks!

Advertisement