Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EGR Valves in Opels

• 23-12-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have to replace an EGR valve in my Opel Zafira and I am wondering how easy it is to do it. I recently got the particular filter replaced which was expensive and don;t want to spend more money if I don't have to. Where is the valve normally located in the Zafira, only arrived today so haven't had a proper look for it yet and how easy is it to fit? Any help or tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hi Hootie,

Assuming its a similar set up or indeed the same as the 1.6 16 valve XEL engine in my old Vectra its not by any means a difficult job.

First remove the oil cap. Then the engine cover. If you look at the bolts in the engine cover you should know if you have the bit or not, Not full sure but I think they are called hexi head - I might be wrong on that though. I borrowed the bit of a friend the time I changed mine but they would be got cheaply enough in Halfords I'd imagine which you would attach to the end of a socket driver. EGR valve is located slightly to the right hand side of centre of engine bay as you look into it.

As far as I recall and fairly certain that the two bolts holding it on are the exact same size as engine cover. They are certainly the same style of hexi head anyway. First remove the electrical wire attached to EGR valve and then remove the two afore mentioned bolts. Remover EGR valve and gasket underneath it. Fit new EGR valve and gasket, remember to re-attach wire into new EGR valve and reattach everything else in the reverse order. Not difficult by any stretch but would be easier job the smaller your hands perhaps!

You do know that they can be sometimes cleaned out with carb cleaner but think the carb cleaner will only do so much for you. If there is a serious amount of soot in it you will probably end up replacing it soon enough one way or another.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Assuming its a similar set up or indeed the same as the 1.6 16 valve XEL engine in my old Vectra its not by any means a difficult job.
    Since the OP got the "particular filter" replaced (i.e. particle filter), I'd assume it's a diesel.

OP, how do you know the EGR valve needs to be replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Is it a torx bit you're trying to describe johndaman? The bolt would have a round head with starshape in it? OP, these bits come in standard sizes, eg T40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Thanks for the replies, will have a proper look after christmas when madness calms down.

Yes its a diesel car as only diesels have a particle filter, that was news to me. The mechanic found the particle filter was fully blocked so he replaced it, then he hooked up the diagnostic and found the egr valve was giving error messages. That was a few weeks ago and I only ordered the part last friday and got in the post yesterday. I already have the tools, bought ages when working on another car.

If anybody is interested i found a site called vauxcentre in England that delivers here and are well worth getting parts off for any opel. Opel wanted 1500 euro for particle filter, got delivered from england for 450 euro, also opel wanted 250euro for egr valve and got delivered for 100euro.

langdang wrote: »
    Is it a torx bit you're trying to describe johndaman? The bolt would have a round head with starshape in it? OP, these bits come in standard sizes, eg T40

Your spot on come to think of it langdang. Picked up the other incorrect name from a friend. Thanks for clearing it up.

Hootie wrote: »
    If anybody is interested i found a site called vauxcentre in England that delivers here and are well worth getting parts off for any opel. Opel wanted 1500 euro for particle filter, got delivered from england for 450 euro, also opel wanted 250euro for egr valve and got delivered for 100euro.

250euro seems like extortion to me. Guess these guys still don't get it and think its still the good times! I bought mine of ebay, delivered to my door for less than 100euro but mine was a petrol so we not be comparing like with like. You do right to buy your parts in from abroad when dealers are charging too much Hootie. Below is a link to a site you may find useful. Granted its for Vectra owners but as the engines would be the same for the most part in both models as far as I'm aware: -

http://www.vvoc.com/

• Advertisement

I'm just sick and tired of paying over the top prices, if i can get parts cheaper from anywhere abroad or not and do the work myself, than I'm happy, OPel wanted 2500 euro for the particle filter and fitting and i got the job done for 700euro. There is so much money to be saved by shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JHMEG wrote: »
    Since the OP got the "particular filter" replaced (i.e. particle filter), I'd assume it's a diesel.
    Isn't it a particulate filter?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Isn't it a particulate filter?

Just to add to the confusion I thought it was pronounced particle filter:)

Just to add to the confusion even further people where calling it both particle and particulate filter when I was sourcing it.

Anyway, finally replaced the valve today, awkward but not difficult to replace. Turned on the engine and the emission light was gone out, good sign. My question is, is there anything else I need to do or is it just a simple replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

There is new software for the ecu. This is for egr valves and to stop the dpf stuffing up.
    Can only be done at Opel dealer.
    New software should be done before any egr replaced!!!

• Advertisement

The diesel mechanic that replaced the particle filter wasn't an opel mechanic and he was just going to replace the valve, he has a diagnostic laptop, should I bring back to test?????? He never mentioned anything about software update

Advertisement