Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Quiz question driving me mad

• 23-12-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

So, I was asked a quiz question today. I did not get it and still do not know the answer so I will throw it to the crowd.

Who scored the first goal in the premiership with a yellow ball?

Answers on a postcard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

They we're introduced in the 04/05 season, from the beginning of November onwards right?

Get the games for the first gameweek in November, and find the first scorer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League#Match_balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Oh I know how to work it out, was it snowing in the first week in November in 04-05 though :)

Looks like a cross reference of the teams who played on the first day that a match was played on a snowy/foggy da, then get the kick off times and work it from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Is the answers on the postcard bit ment to be a hint?

Nope, I have no idea, otherwise I would not be begging for an answer.

Before the internet was so big people used to say that on quizzes on tv, we never used to have all of that email stuff and phonecalls were expensive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Isn't the hi viz ball used throughout the winter months regardless of weather?

From what I can find, the change over occurs the weekend that British Summer Time ends, in 2004 that was the weekend of 30/31st October.

Andrew Johnson scored the only goal in Crystal Palace's 1-0 win over Birmingham in the early kick off on the Saturday.

• Advertisement

Yeah, was just about to say it. The new ball is kicked in regardless of the weather - I though it was the first Gameweek in November, though it could be the last week in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

This was bugging me now. I found this article:
    A yellow ball will be introduced in the Barclays Premiership for the first time tomorrow when every game in the top flight uses Nike’s new high-visibility Total 90 Aerow.

The Football League has been using yellow footballs during winter months for a number of years and from tomorrow (Saturday, November 6) until February 2005, the Premiership will do the same.

The ball is a new version of Nike’s regular Total 90 Aerow currently used in matches, but is yellow with blue stripes, designed to help players see it in low-light conditions.

Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs said: “Obviously in the Premiership we haven’t played with a yellow ball yet, so it’s something you just have to get used to.

“They’ve been using it in the First Division for a couple of seasons now but a ball’s a ball – you just have to get used to it. It’s like any other thing.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/whole-new-ball-game-for-premiership-174579.html#ixzz0aYOFofTs

These were apparently the results for the that day..

Assuming all those games started at the same time (by no means a given), the answer would be Bartlett, whose first name I can't remember.

I think.

Shaun Bartlett

shaun_bartlett.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Shaun Bartlett

shaun_bartlett.jpg

If you want to be particularly mean as a quizmaster, you could add the caveat of "who was first to score with a yellow ball AND play out the full 90 mins..." ;)

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If you want to be particularly mean as a quizmaster, you could add the caveat of "who was first to score with a yellow ball AND play out the full 90 mins..." ;)
    That indeed is a good one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Villa won the 12:45 kick-off 3-0 that weekend with Peter Whittingham scoring first.

And he played the 90...;)

Advertisement