Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Dear neighbours

Please shut your dog up. 2 hours of barking isnt funny.

Thanks

My moan is ms is back and im killed with sciatica and heartburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Sorry, a few moans here:

My boobs feel like they weigh a tonne and have leaked a little (I'm 21 weeks)

I don't have a craving for a cigarette (I gave up as soon as I found out I was pregnant) but miss it as something to do when I'm bored in work.

I thought the tiredness would ease in second trimester but would this humidity ever go away.

Aaarrrrggghhhh.

Sorry x

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I woke up this morning with a dead leg, pain on the right side of my body and a goosed shoulder...

So very tired, 2 days off is the best thing ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

My moan is my upper back is killing me ! The doc gave me week off and work is now annoyed that Ill be out grrrr havent slept properly in 3 days ! I am only 9 weeks im dreading the next 7 ish months !

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Yesterday I was admitted due to high bp.
    It's 4.30am:
    In my semi-private room is a woman who has a fone and is making phone calls right now and when she texts she has a fone that has the keypad turned up to the last.

Opposite her,is a woman who has recently given birth(to a beautiful baby!) and is now snoring to beat the band.

When I was admitted, I asked in admissions about getting a private room and was told I'm not entitled as I am only semi-private.......
    I thought I was if there was a room available?? Can anyone advise re the semi-private and private rooms, please(and grant me a little more patience:-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

It's 4.30am:
    In my semi-private room is a woman who has a fone and is making phone calls right now and when she texts she has a fone that has the keypad turned up to the last.

Opposite her,is a woman who has recently given birth(to a beautiful baby!) and is now snoring to beat the band.

When I was admitted, I asked in admissions about getting a private room and was told I'm not entitled as I am only semi-private.......
    I thought I was if there was a room available?? Can anyone advise re the semi-private and private rooms, please(and grant me a little more patience:-))

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

beltzar wrote: »
    It's 4.30am:

I dunno about the private room, but could you not ask her to stop phoning or to put the phone on silent? Or get a nurse to stop her?

Hope you'll catch some sleep sooon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Have hit new levels of miserable, my entire face feels like its been run over by a lorry, pain mostly on right side but it seems to be worsening, sinuses are killing me and my ear seems to be getting in on the act. Had this for a few days last week but not as bad as this; it's waking me up at night and actually crying with the pain. I may as well be taking jelly beans for pain killers :(

Really don't want to go to work today (headset will not make the ear thing any better), but can't ring in sick because we get penalised for illnesses/time off and I'm being assessed for the end of my probation this week :/

That sucks about the room, I agree, get a nurse on her to shut up the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Have hit new levels of miserable, my entire face feels like its been run over by a lorry, pain mostly on right side but it seems to be worsening, sinuses are killing me and my ear seems to be getting in on the act. Had this for a few days last week but not as bad as this; it's waking me up at night and actually crying with the pain. I may as well be taking jelly beans for pain killers :(

Really don't want to go to work today (headset will not make the ear thing any better), but can't ring in sick because we get penalised for illnesses/time off and I'm being assessed for the end of my probation this week :/

That sucks about the room, I agree, get a nurse on her to shut up the phone!

You might be at the stage where you need antibiotics. A trip to the doc is definitely in order for something that's making you that sick and miserable. My own nose and ear are giving me a bit of trouble this morning. Typical that it would happen the day I head back to work :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

leakage or somethin. thats my moan but its only a moan cos i dont know what it is. a month or so ago i got it checked out and it wasnt fluid. but its wrecking my head cos it can be so watery and clear it worries me but then i might not get it for a few days. its prob just the usual extra stuff but its so nerve wracking. ill be back to hosp for appt tue so i wil say it then. ill have a list!!!

Red fraggle, make an appointment and ask your doctor to take a swab. I too was having fluid leakage, it was clear and watery. So when I mentioned it they of course wanted to check it wasn't amniotic fliud (which TG it wasn't) but then they did a quick internal and swab. Turned out it is thrush but very high up, close to the cervix. Because it is so high up it was kind of 'melting' (sorry! :o) so appeared to be watery rather than the normal thrush discharge. Got a dose of the canesten pessaries and everything is much better. So my advice is insist that they thoroughly check you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Red fraggle, make an appointment and ask your doctor to take a swab. I too was having fluid leakage, it was clear and watery. So when I mentioned it they of course wanted to check it wasn't amniotic fliud (which TG it wasn't) but then they did a quick internal and swab. Turned out it is thrush but very high up, close to the cervix. Because it is so high up it was kind of 'melting' (sorry! :o) so appeared to be watery rather than the normal thrush discharge. Got a dose of the canesten pessaries and everything is much better. So my advice is insist that they thoroughly check you out.

I didn't know you could use canestan pessaries in pregnancy! I've been killed with thrush the whole way through, I've been using the cream sparingly when it gets bad. I'm going to ask my doc about it later, it'd be brilliant to just get rid of it altogether!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just a quick question. My OH is 10 weeks gone and is constantly gagging when she is in work, she isnt vomiting though, just constant gagging. Does anyone here have any remedies to help? Digestive biscuits and peppermint tea have been suggested by MIL but havent been tried out yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

nikpmup wrote: »
    I didn't know you could use canestan pessaries in pregnancy! I've been killed with thrush the whole way through, I've been using the cream sparingly when it gets bad. I'm going to ask my doc about it later, it'd be brilliant to just get rid of it altogether!

My top tip is natural yogurt.

I used it last pregnancy for the first time (tiny little bit inside twice a day) and it worked so well I'll never use canesten or anything like it again. It worked miles and miles better than antifungals.

Give it a try.

The doctor might be wary about the pessaries as they're hard and your cervix is probably softening now, but an alternative is the insertable cream. The pharmacy won't give it to you unless you have a prescription from the doctor though.
    Just a quick question. My OH is 10 weeks gone and is constantly gagging when she is in work, she isnt vomiting though, just constant gagging. Does anyone here have any remedies to help? Digestive biscuits and peppermint tea have been suggested by MIL but havent been tried out yet.

The poor thing. Unfortunately I found nothing helped. People say ginger, dry crackers etc but nothing worked for me. Actually, rennie antacid did work a small little bit. Hopefully it'll pass in the next couple of weeks. It was hands-down the worst part of both my pregnancies.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My top tip is natural yogurt.

I used it last pregnancy for the first time (tiny little bit inside twice a day) and it worked so well I'll never use canesten or anything like it again. It worked miles and miles better than antifungals.

Give it a try.

The doctor might be wary about the pessaries as they're hard and your cervix is probably softening now, but an alternative is the insertable cream. The pharmacy won't give it to you unless you have a prescription from the doctor though.

I must try that - I read online that bread soda baths help, and I have to say they really do - it takes the stingy soreness away.

Das Kitty wrote: »

The hospital doctor gave me a prescription for the pessaries no problem. Told me to take the 500mg dose (highest one) just once at night to clear it up. I honestly don't think the applicator is big enough to send the pessary right up to the neck of the cervix, so I don't think its much to worry about.

I went to the chemist with my prescription and they ignored the script and just said 'oh thats an over the counter medication' and handed me back the script.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The hospital doctor gave me a prescription for the pessaries no problem. Told me to take the 500mg dose (highest one) just once at night to clear it up. I honestly don't think the applicator is big enough to send the pessary right up to the neck of the cervix, so I don't think its much to worry about.

I went to the chemist with my prescription and they ignored the script and just said 'oh thats an over the counter medication' and handed me back the script.

Depends on the length of your vagina. Mine's short enough to reach my cervix with a finger.

I'm not saying it's dangerous, just that certain docs can be antsy about stuff like that.

I wonder if its different the further along you are, I've only 9 weeks left - ill say it to the doc today either way. Failing that I'll deffo try the natural yogurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

nikpmup wrote: »
    I wonder if its different the further along you are, I've only 9 weeks left - ill say it to the doc today either way. Failing that I'll deffo try the natural yogurt.

I just asked about this at my clinic on Monday and was told by the consultant to treat with the pessary - I'm due on the 10th of Sept.

She said that the cream wont do anything really and that you need to use the pessary to clear the infection. I've been like a walking fungus this pregnancy (including athletes foot - yeuch), and have had to use the pessaries a couple of times - both advised by the hospital.

They also advised that I take yakult after I brush my teeth at nighttime, to try to restore the gut flora. Rennies, gaviscon etc don't help in that department either.

And don't forget if you are in a relationship to get your OH to treat aswell!! Otherwise they will just keep reinfecting you ;)

My moan for today is Carpel tunnel syndrome and sciatica. I have inflammatory arthritis from before I was pregnant, and in general my symptoms are much less than before and some symptoms totally gone. However, in the last week I have had severe stiffness and pain in my hands - very similar to my arthritis pains, although my joints aren't very affected, other than the wrists. But my thumb and all around there on the left hand is so so sore - like I had injured it. Can't move my thumb or lift anything heavy or awkward. So I mentioned it to my midwife and she said its carpel tunnel syndrome which is common in pregnancy and probably worse in my case due to my previous arthritis. Now its starting on the right hand :(

I also have had a few sciatica flare ups - I don't think it's actually due to the weight, but more to do with how I am moving and lying in bed. And I can't do any of the normal exercises I normally do to allieviate the pain.

The midwife has referred me to the physio, so just waiting on my appointments.

Oh, and my feet are still as big as balloons! Can hardly find a pair of shoes to fit me at the moment!

Moany moan moan!!!

On the plus side, my 20 week scan went great and the babies are fabulous, so I just keep reminding myself of that when I feel miserable and self indulgent! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

My moan for today is Carpel tunnel syndrome and sciatica. I have inflammatory arthritis from before I was pregnant, and in general my symptoms are much less than before and some symptoms totally gone. However, in the last week I have had severe stiffness and pain in my hands - very similar to my arthritis pains, although my joints aren't very affected, other than the wrists. But my thumb and all around there on the left hand is so so sore - like I had injured it. Can't move my thumb or lift anything heavy or awkward. So I mentioned it to my midwife and she said its carpel tunnel syndrome which is common in pregnancy and probably worse in my case due to my previous arthritis. Now its starting on the right hand :(
    :)

I've arthrits is my feet, I got the carpel tunnel symtoms a few weeks ago and had read it was normal during pregnancy but luckly it seems to have gone away. My feet have been flaring up more than usual but I knida think that might have something to do with my crap diet of late and a lot less exercise.

My moan for today is that along with the MS, now indegestion seems to be kicking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Hey. Discovered this thread last night. great to see some people in same boat as myself. Im almost 17 weeks gone and somedays i feel so ****. I work 6 days a week which i find so tiresome but cant afford to cut back at the moment as need to get finances in order etc.. but had last week off, first week off since last xmas - left a list of things to be done in my absence that needed to be done last week, come in this morn and find that not one thing has been ticked off the list. I am so mad. I have other things i could complain about too but this I am so annoyed about. Not that I havent told them at work that I am constantly tired etc. drive ya nuts...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

20 weeks today and still nauseous and throwing up several times a week -does this ever stop!? Hope it doesn't affect the baby! :(

Ciarabear wrote: »
    20 weeks today and still nauseous and throwing up several times a week -does this ever stop!? Hope it doesn't affect the baby! :(

I was throwing up every meal until 21 weeks and nauseous until about 24 weeks - bubs is grand, kicking away like billy-o :) It feels like you'll never want food again, hang on in there

yeah me too - still regularly nauseous at almost 22 weeks, still occasionally vomiting. Anything that smells strong, or if its too stuffy makes me heave and vom. I am eating smaller meals since my bump has now overtaken ALL my internal organs! I found out yesterday that at 28 weeks I will look like a 40 week single pregnancy mum! I had a little cry at that point :'(

I'm coming up on 24 weeks and dare I say it but the vomiting appears to be easing. Had a really bad week last week with the ms but the last few days I seem to be just nauseous. I'm not getting to excited for fear of it coming back but I am really enjoying the respite.

I don't believe it affects the baby but I have been taken pregncare vitamins as I know I'm not getting good nutrients on my limited diet.

The one thing I would say it to visit the dentist at some point, I'm afraid my teeth will fall out of head with all the vomiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    The one thing I would say it to visit the dentist at some point, I'm afraid my teeth will fall out of head with all the vomiting

Gosh the sickness alone is bad enough, there's no need to be sadistic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yep 22 weeks and still plenty of vomiting! Was thinking the same about the dentist, no point though as I'd probably just puke as soon as he put anything in my mouth! :o

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Gosh the sickness alone is bad enough, there's no need to be sadistic! :)

Ha! Yeah it's prob the last thing on most people's minds, I'm always a bit paranoid about my teeth. No fillings as of yet but I seem to have this irrational fear of them falling out :o no idea where that came from.

I've just realized that I've actually put on two stone since getting pregnant, I thought it was only one, my GP does it in kg but I'm still stuck in stone/lbs and maths does not appear to be my friend at the moment. I knew a carb heavy diet was bad but didn't realize it was that bad, can't believe I've put in that much with the fact that I've struggled to keep things down the past few months. Have to knock the toast on the head.

A friend of mine was told by her dentist to only swish her mouth out with water initially after vomiting, and to wait a while before brushing - the reasoning being that the stomach acid weakens the tooth enamel; if you brush immediately you are removing enamel, doing this over and over can wear away the enamel to the point where your teeth collapse! Gross, but there you go!

I put on most of the weight I'm carrying in the first 4 months, it kind of levelled off in the second trimester and I barely put on any weight then. It's starting to go on again now, I've 8 weeks to go. I've put on about 2 and a half stone. The midwives haven't mentioned my weight gain so I'm assuming its okay!

• Advertisement

It is recommended that pregnant women get a check up at the dentist as pregnancy can affect your gums and any decay etc speeds up apparently.
    I went when I was about 14 weeks pregnant and just kept gagging the whole way through! lol But I managed to hold my breakfast down long enough to let him have a quick exam of my teeth and nothing to worry about TG. Because brushing my teeth makes me vomit, he recommended brushing more often but for shorter periods than you normally would and using a good mouth wash to help prevent plaque etc.

And a check up is free if you have enough PRSI contributions (its just the clean and polish you pay for so if you don't want it make sure they know or you will end up being charged if they do it).

Advertisement