Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Yeah I have one of them. The hospital said they give an indication but not to rely on their accuracy mainly because of where they check the blood pressure (usually at the wrist). That said, if it gives a high/low reading regularly I was told not to ignore it, but if it was just one or two over a few hours and then it's back normal not to worry.

Funnily enough, my head is thumping the last two days and I just don't feel 'right'. According to the monitor my bp is fine. Debating whether I should take a trip to the hospital? The problem is, if I feel unwell here I will feel worse in the hospital just because I won't have any comfort. Think I'll give it another hour or two and if still feel crappy I'll just have to bite the bullet and go in and hope that they just check me out and send me home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yeah I have one of them. The hospital said they give an indication but not to rely on their accuracy mainly because of where they check the blood pressure (usually at the wrist). That said, if it gives a high/low reading regularly I was told not to ignore it, but if it was just one or two over a few hours and then it's back normal not to worry.

Funnily enough, my head is thumping the last two days and I just don't feel 'right'. According to the monitor my bp is fine. Debating whether I should take a trip to the hospital? The problem is, if I feel unwell here I will feel worse in the hospital just because I won't have any comfort. Think I'll give it another hour or two and if still feel crappy I'll just have to bite the bullet and go in and hope that they just check me out and send me home.

How are you feeling now? Hope you managed to get checked out?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    How are you feeling now? Hope you managed to get checked out?

Still feeling a bit meh. But just can't face going to the hospital. Blood pressure is apparently ok so don't think it's anything too serious to worry about. But if I still feel rotten in the morning I will definitely head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

moan for the day is im not due until this coming thursday, which is fine, but people are already saying so any stir yet? how are things? seriously GO AWAY!!! yeh sure i had the baby there yesterday and decided not to tell anyone and the fairy is at home minding my 22 month old!!! come on like. just cos my first was a week early does not mean this one will be. its gona be a long 2 weeks if i am overdue!!!

Still feeling a bit meh. But just can't face going to the hospital. Blood pressure is apparently ok so don't think it's anything too serious to worry about. But if I still feel rotten in the morning I will definitely head in.

Yea do. Hope you're feeling better tho. Get a good sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Stupid spd. Went up town to get lo new trainers and shoes and you would think i have run a marathon. In bed with hot water bottle .
    Stupid people in towns would nearly walk on top of you when your walking slow. Then i was nearly rammed with a trolley at 1 point. Grrr. and still came home without the trainers.

And now i CANT GET COMFY.
    And as OH pointed out still have 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I feel your pain.
    Iv been feeling it somethin rotten this week so I'm thinkin it's gonna be a long pregnancy

Suucee wrote: »
    Stupid spd. Went up town to get lo new trainers and shoes and you would think i have run a marathon. In bed with hot water bottle .
    Stupid people in towns would nearly walk on top of you when your walking slow. Then i was nearly rammed with a trolley at 1 point. Grrr. and still came home without the trainers.

And now i CANT GET COMFY.
    And as OH pointed out still have 4 months.

I dont have spd but like ye I am soooo bloody uncomfortable this week! Next 4 months gonna be torture! Just not feeling myself and still getting horrible headaches (usually during the night while im trying to sleep/first thing when I wake).

My stomach has literally ballooned this past week! I mean it's mawhoosive! I've put on a good bit of weight but was fairly thin originally so it's not a big deal... But my stomach was nice a tidy a few weeks ago. But now, omg... I look about 8 months gone. Was staying with my mum this weekend and was walking round in track suit bottoms and a bra and mum just looks at me and says "jaysus... This ones gonna be a big one!" lol. Just can't get comfortable at all.

braxton hicks at night making me think labour is starting is just mean!!:mad: and the next day ppl asking is there anything happening is getting to me.:mad: think i should stay inside with my daughter who is 22 months and is a great distraction and makes me laugh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Still have 9 weeks to go and i feel so uncomfortable. Have pains in my tummy today but i doubt if i wasnt pregnant i wouldnt even think twice about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cramps, and cramps and cramps and cramps.
    Cramps when my bladder is full (but I can't feel that its full because of the bloomin' cramps)
    Cramps when I've eaten something that aggrivates my now apparent IBS (which is literally everything I eat AND drink except for cheese).
    Cramps when I need to pass wind but can't because I'm constipated.
    Cramps for absolutely no reason when I lie down in bed at night.

They were quite frightening at first, but doctor seems to think that they sound totally normal since I'm not spotting and all other symptoms are progressing as normal. I seem to think that there are at least 7 babies growing in there and they all think it's funny when I lie in bed with a red face and squished eyes, "pushing" to figure out if I need to fart, poop or pee :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Voice is gone and the internet is saying that Lemsip isn't allowed in pregnancy - gah!!

Voice is gone and the internet is saying that Lemsip isn't allowed in pregnancy - gah!!

Hi princess. The max strength cold and flu lemsip is ok during pregnancy (as far as I know). I've taken it through both my pregnancies when I had a cold as advised by pharmacist. It is specifically the max strength cold and flu that is ok. Ring up a pharmacy and double check... I rang a few who said I was ok but I don't want to be giving wrong information here either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Lemsip is basically paracetamol - you can take paracetamol; have a lemon barley drink made with hot water & it'll feel the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi princess. The max strength cold and flu lemsip is ok during pregnancy (as far as I know). .

Hmm, wouldn't be sure on that one. Lemsip has both paracetemol (which is fine for pregnancy), but also phenylephrine hydrochloride (not ok for rpegnancy).

nikpmup wrote: »
    Lemsip is basically paracetamol - you can take paracetamol; have a lemon barley drink made with hot water & it'll feel the same :)

Lemsip also has phenylephrine hydrochloride, which wouldn't be great for pregnancy. so yes, a paracetemol and lemon drink would be better than lemsip.

pwurple wrote: »
    Hmm, wouldn't be sure on that one. Lemsip has both paracetemol (which is fine for pregnancy), but also phenylephrine hydrochloride (not ok for rpegnancy).

Really??!! Agh I'm actually raging!!!! Pharmacist specifically told me I could take the max strength lemsip along with the vitamin c strepsils during pregnancy when I had my cold last time. I told my consultant I had been taking lemsip and she didnt tell me not too. Sooo annoyed now! Coz im usually quite careful about what i take! Gonna say it to my doctor next time I see her! And give out about stupid pharmacist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I don't rightly know what I'm moaning about because I'm not puking, I'm achey and sore but not bad, I'm tired but I've been worse. I just feel icky and totally off form. I do have tremors in my hands that are irritating the crap out of me but that's not first or last time that will happen. Stupid thyroid.

So ya I should probably shut up moaning when nothing particularly wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Really??!! Agh I'm actually raging!!!! Pharmacist specifically told me I could take the max strength lemsip along with the vitamin c strepsils during pregnancy when I had my cold last time. I told my consultant I had been taking lemsip and she didnt tell me not too. Sooo annoyed now! Coz im usually quite careful about what i take! Gonna say it to my doctor next time I see her! And give out about stupid pharmacist.

I've been to three different pharmacies today in desperation with a sore throat... could have sworn I was allowed Strepsils first time and second time around but this time every single one has told me I'm only allowed paracetemol and nothing else.

I'd trust a pharmacist more than a consultant when it comes to actual medication, they'd know a lot more about the ingredients of specific drugs but some can still get it wrong

January wrote: »
    I've been to three different pharmacies today in desperation with a sore throat... could have sworn I was allowed Strepsils first time and second time around but this time every single one has told me I'm only allowed paracetemol and nothing else.

I'd trust a pharmacist more than a consultant when it comes to actual medication, they'd know a lot more about the ingredients of specific drugs but some can still get it wrong

Yea i agree january, that's why I asked the pharmacist and they told me the max strength was ok. Just annoyed coz if pwurple is right then I've been misinformed :(. I have to say tho, pharmacists are very careful what they advise when you tell them you are pregnant. A lot of them have actually said to me to ask my doctor... Even for pretty standard questions... But the few I asked about the lemsip said the max strength was grand.

Pwurple, I'm just looking at the leaflet here and it's listed ingredients. R u sure the max strength cold and flu contains phenylephrine?

The list here says: 1000mg paracetamol, sucrose, citric acid, lemon flavour, saccharin sodium, aspartame, sodium citrate, ascorbic acid and curcumin.

Perhaps the phenylephrine is in the other varieties like the cough and cold lemsip etc?

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Lemsip also has phenylephrine hydrochloride, which wouldn't be great for pregnancy. so yes, a paracetemol and lemon drink would be better than lemsip.

Just had a wee browse there on net and it says it does contain phenylephrine which is ok during pregnancy but they are not sure if it can be passed onto infant through breast milk so if nursing an infant should be avoided....

So much contradictory information out there......:confused:

Pwurple, I'm just looking at the leaflet here and it's listed ingredients. R u sure the max strength cold and flu contains phenylephrine?

The list here says: 1000mg paracetamol, sucrose, citric acid, lemon flavour, saccharin sodium, aspartame, sodium citrate, ascorbic acid and curcumin.

Perhaps the phenylephrine is in the other varieties like the cough and cold lemsip etc?

Might be various versions of it, if the API is only paracetemol then that's different alright.

I checked Lemsip Max Blackcurrant and Lemsip Max Lemon.
    It's listed here on the manufacturer website:
    http://www.lemsip.co.uk/remedies/lemsip-max-tablets.php

Actives:
    Paracetamol 500mg
    Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 6.1mg

Phenylephrine Hydrochloride acts on blood vessels, it makes them contract a little, so your nose feel less stuffed up.

I guess the thing about colds is you are never really treating the cold, your immune system does that. All you are doing is treating the symptoms and making yourself feel a bit better while it takes its course. So if you can stick it out, it does go away on its own.

edit to add:
    Patient info leaflet in pdf is here for lemsip from the IPHA:
    http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/14950/PIL/Lemsip+Max+Sinus+%26+Flu+Hot+Lemon/

It lists Pseudophedrine Hydrochloride 60mg, and Paracetamol 100mg.
    And then under pregnancy section:
    This product should not be used in pregnancy.

i asked the pharmacist and my consultant a while back what i could take and they both said the normal lemsip as it only has paracetamol!!! and i took it!!

AFAIK all lemsip contains pseudoephedrine which is not recommended in pregnancy as it can cross the placenta and increase babies heartbeat to a dangerous rate. When I had a cold I was told by my GP, consultant and pharmacist not to take any of the decongestant remedies and instead make my own hot drink with honey and lemon and dissolvable paracetamol. Wasn't as good as lemsip but it did help a bit.

AFAIK all lemsip contains pseudoephedrine which is not recommended in pregnancy as it can cross the placenta and increase babies heartbeat to a dangerous rate. When I had a cold I was told by my GP, consultant and pharmacist not to take any of the decongestant remedies and instead make my own hot drink with honey and lemon and dissolvable paracetamol. Wasn't as good as lemsip but it did help a bit.

God I didn't know lemsip contained pseudoephedrine! Coz I've stayed away from anything that had that in it... Like sudofed etc.... Feck sake.... I took a good few sachets when I was sick aswell.... I couldn't find pseudoephedrine on the ingredients list on my pack... I'm so annoyed...

Edit: Just seen that pseudoephedrine isn't used in lemsips. Phenylephrine is used which is a substitute for pseudoephedrine. It's a similar but different decongestant I think with less side effects...

I don't know for certain, only going by what my GP told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Was told no for Lemsip but was okayed for vitamin C strepsils by our local pharmacist who seemed very cautious about double checking every medication during pregnancy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've never liked the lemsips anyway as they made me feel queasy so I make a homemade lemon, ginger and honey drink with fresh ingredients and its lovely.

Edit: Just seen that pseudoephedrine isn't used in lemsips. Phenylephrine is used which is a substitute for pseudoephedrine. It's a similar but different decongestant I think with less side effects...
    I wouldn't chance it seeing as they are very similar at their base level. As I said all three, GP, consultant and pharmacist told me to avoid it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't chance it seeing as they are very similar at their base level. As I said all three, GP, consultant and pharmacist told me to avoid it.

Advertisement