Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I wouldn't chance it seeing as they are very similar at their base level. As I said all three, GP, consultant and pharmacist told me to avoid it.

Yep I'm just gonna stay away from it altogether from now. Seems there's too much mixed information out there. I'd say a home made lemon and honey would be nearly as good... Taste nicer aswell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I hate lemsip anyway - the saccharine they add is awful, can't stand the artificial taste. Normally we use something called tylol hot which is a hot lemon drink but tastes much nicer. We get it when we're in Turkey visiting my sister, don't think you can get it here

Went shopping in Tesco last night. Only did a little shop for the basics, my sister was with me to push the trolley and load the bags. But my god even still I am paying for it since! The tops of my legs, under my bump, my back...janey mack the pain! Didn't sleep a wink. So feeling a bit grumpy today as a result :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

The Manuka Honey with lemon works wonder and it tastes much better then Lemsip

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Siipina wrote: »
    The Manuka Honey with lemon works wonder and it tastes much better then Lemsip

Thats what I use and its lovely. And grate fresh ginger into it too gives it a nice kick and soothes a sore throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Sligo1 wrote: »
    God I didn't know lemsip contained pseudoephedrine! Coz I've stayed away from anything that had that in it... Like sudofed etc.... Feck sake.... I took a good few sachets when I was sick aswell.... I couldn't find pseudoephedrine on the ingredients list on my pack... I'm so annoyed...

Edit: Just seen that pseudoephedrine isn't used in lemsips. Phenylephrine is used which is a substitute for pseudoephedrine. It's a similar but different decongestant I think with less side effects...

Not all Lemsips contain a decongestant........there must be at least half a dozen varieties at this stage. Please be careful with stating facts if you aren't qualified. The plain versions with just paracetamol would be fine. The Lemsip Max Strength Cold & Flu that had the ingredients listed earlier is fine.........the PIL someone attached was for Lemsip Max *Sinus*, a different product entirely.

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Not all Lemsips contain a decongestant........there must be at least half a dozen varieties at this stage. Please be careful with stating facts if you aren't qualified. The plain versions with just paracetamol would be fine. The Lemsip Max Strength that had the ingredients listed earlier is fine.........the PIL someone attached was for Lemsip Max *Sinus*, a different product entirely.

Have you read the last couple pages of this thread? It wasn't me that said it had a decongestant... I initially didn't think it did!... Which I stated earlier. Which is why I was taking it, as advised by my pharmacist!.....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Really need a moan this evening. I'm 32 weeks, back to feeling sick all day (had horrible cramps today as well) and I'm shattered. I was with the doctor for a check up and I really wanted to ask her for a cert for a few days but felt too guilty. I don't know why, but I suppose I keep thinking I'm not ill, just pregnant and I should be able to suck it up. Now I'm kicking myself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Not all Lemsips contain a decongestant........there must be at least half a dozen varieties at this stage. Please be careful with stating facts if you aren't qualified. The plain versions with just paracetamol would be fine. The Lemsip Max Strength Cold & Flu that had the ingredients listed earlier is fine.........the PIL someone attached was for Lemsip Max *Sinus*, a different product entirely.

I think we'll stick to not recommending anything at all, if you need medication speak to your GP/Consultant or a pharmacist and take their advice.

Bagheera wrote: »
    Really need a moan this evening. I'm 32 weeks, back to feeling sick all day (had horrible cramps today as well) and I'm shattered. I was with the doctor for a check up and I really wanted to ask her for a cert for a few days but felt too guilty. I don't know why, but I suppose I keep thinking I'm not ill, just pregnant and I should be able to suck it up. Now I'm kicking myself!!!
    You're not ill but you still need to listen to your body. You are doing a very important job growing a new human being. It can take a lot out of you at times and if your body is telling you it needs a bit of a rest them listen to it. Pushing yourself too much could result in you ending up run down and properly sick with a cold or a virus or sending your blood pressure whacky or something. Better a day or two under the duvet than a week of feeling sick or just stressed out because it just feels too much this week. Don't be so hard on yourself.

And what harm to pull a sickie when you're pregnant? Guaranteed you won't get that luxury again for a loooong time!! No sick days when you're a Mammy!!

Bagheera wrote: »
    You're not ill but you still need to listen to your body. You are doing a very important job growing list new human being. It can take a lot out of you at times and if your body is telling you it needs a bit of a rest them listen to it. Pushing yourself too much could result in you ending up run down and properly sick with a cold or a virus or sending your blood pressure whacky or something. Better a day or two under the duvet than a week of feeling sick or just stressed out because it just feels too much this week. Don't be so hard on yourself.

And what harm to pull a sickie when you're pregnant? Guaranteed you won't get that luxury again for a loooong time!! No sick days when you're a Mammy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Spd. Tooth ache. And OH snoring his head off. Even louder than normal due to manflu.
    Contemplating smoothering him and blaming hormones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I feel you on the spd pain!

For me on top of it iv some kind of infection I had thought kidney but apparently not according to the midoc crowd. However I have blood in my urine and glucose and protein. So been sent to my gp this mornin but not feeling to optimistic that he'll do anything I was there two weeks ago and nothing done didn't even check my urine just said it's thrush which it's not iv had it lots before from medication I get for kidney infection. Now I'm tender on the bottom of my tummy kinda like where the cervix is so between that and spd I'm so uncomfortable. Need a new gp which I'll be doing today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I have this burning pain at the top and middle of my bump since last night - rolled onto my stomach and got firmly kicked until I moved, but its been really sore ever since - anyone experienced this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I feel you on the spd pain!

For me on top of it iv some kind of infection I had thought kidney but apparently not according to the midoc crowd. However I have blood in my urine and glucose and protein. So been sent to my gp this mornin but not feeling to optimistic that he'll do anything I was there two weeks ago and nothing done didn't even check my urine just said it's thrush which it's not iv had it lots before from medication I get for kidney infection. Now I'm tender on the bottom of my tummy kinda like where the cervix is so between that and spd I'm so uncomfortable. Need a new gp which I'll be doing today

Bypass the GP and go into your maternity hospital - a kidney infection can be nasty and a high temp isn't good for baba

Off to the dentist. Hoping uts a filling. Pregnancy really messes with my teeth. This is my 3rd filling. Had to get 1 on my last pregnancy too.
    Dreading trying to sit in dentist chair . Please please please let it be a filling and not extraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Feel the need (very guiltily) to whinge about the fact that almost all of my "symptoms" have disappeared. The only thing I am having now is cramping, which has drastically lessened in severity from when I started getting them, frequency and duration is also much lower.

Aside from that, boobs feel fine, no sickness, no constipation, no fatigue, no adversions to food, no cravings outside of cheese and milk, which I've always craved on occassion, no mood swings and no heartburn.

I do have a rather unsightly splatter of adult cystic acne (which I was actually put on Dianette for 11 years ago and always see a return of when I come off the pill) that is seriously affecting my self confidence, but I can't put that down to pregnancy.

Think I'm going to have to pee on another stick, just to confirm to myself that there's still something going on up there!
    And find a new facewash, I look atrocious!

Well tooth out. Definetly not getting any sleep tonight.
    On the plus side i just learned that during pregnancy your entitled to a free teeth cleaning so back next week for that.
    I now have it from the doctor and the dentist that i need to rest so OH gona be on daddy duty all weekend. Pjs on and sitting in front of the fire now. Until they get home and the meyham begins.

On the plus side i just learned that during pregnancy your entitled to a free teeth cleaning so back next week for that.
    I now have it from the doctor and the dentist that i need to rest so OH gona be on daddy duty all weekend. Pjs on and sitting in front of the fire now. Until they get home and the meyham begins.

Suucee wrote: »

Hiya suucee, whats the story with the free teeth cleaning? Is it with specific dentists or with a specific Heath insurance policy? Somethjng I'm completely unaware of! I just paid €95 to have my teeth cleaned today!!!

Hiya suucee, whats the story with the free teeth cleaning? Is it with specific dentists or with a specific Heath insurance policy? Somethjng I'm completely unaware of! I just paid €95 to have my teeth cleaned today!!!

I dont have health insurance. And the dentist i used today is not my usual dentist . (Who charged for my cleaning during last pregnancy)
    The dentist mentioned i needed it and it was covered during pregnancy. So when i spoke to receptionist she said she would sort the forms, send them off and call me when its approved.
    Definetly going to be my new dentist.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    I dont have health insurance. And the dentist i used today is not my usual dentist . (Who charged for my cleaning during last pregnancy)
    The dentist mentioned i needed it and it was covered during pregnancy. So when i spoke to receptionist she said she would sort the forms, send them off and call me when its approved.
    Definetly going to be my new dentist.

That's awesome!!! I wonder is it through social welfare or something... I'm off to do some googling.... Lol

That's awesome!!! I wonder is it throught social welfare or something... I'm off to do some googling.... Lol

Me too!! I could definitely use one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think it's PRSI based. Can't find anything about it online.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Me too!! I could definitely use one!

It's so expensive tho isn't it! €95 for a teeth clean!!! I know my dentist is prob one of the more expensive... But I think all dentists are expensive... Definitely gonna check out this free teeth cleaning and see if I can get some quids back!

It's so expensive tho isn't it! €95 for a teeth clean!!! I know my dentist is prob one of the more expensive... But I think all dentists are expensive... Definitely gonna check out this free teeth cleaning and see if I can get some quids back!

Scale and polish at my dentist is €40!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Scale and polish at my dentist is €40!

Jaysus.... I'm obviously going to the wrong person to have me auld cleaning done! Lol...

On another note..l I'm thinking I should perhaps put this on a new thread. But when looking for info on the free teeth clean, someone on a forum said if you're a stay at home mum caring for a dependent person (or baby) and Have paid you're PRSI etc and your partner/husband is working you can claim carers allowance! Anyone know is this is correct?? Anyone claiming this? I'll post a link here. Basically I'm on parental leave at the moment (unpaid) and have also taken unpaid mat leave... Wondering if I can claim for this? To be honest I really don't have a clue I regards to benefits, tax credits etc... The only thing I've ever claimed for is my 6 months mat leave...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/home_carers_tax_credit.html

Jaysus.... I'm obviously going to the wrong person to have me auld cleaning done! Lol...

On another note..l I'm thinking I should perhaps put this on a new thread. But when looking for info on the free teeth clean, someone on a forum said if you're a stay at home mum caring for a dependent person (or baby) and Have paid you're PRSI etc and your partner/husband is working you can claim carers allowance! Anyone know is this is correct?? Anyone claiming this? I'll post a link here. Basically I'm on parental leave at the moment (unpaid) and have also taken unpaid mat leave... Wondering if I can claim for this? To be honest I really don't have a clue I regards to benefits, tax credits etc... The only thing I've ever claimed for is my 6 months mat leave...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/home_carers_tax_credit.html

I spotted exactly the same post :o
    Unfortunately I have not worked since 2009 and have been on Jobseekers (and then BTEA) since while attending college so I don't think I'd be entitled to it.

I've worked in Ireland continuously since 2005. Went on mat leave October 2012 and been off since. Husband has been in continuous employment just over 2 years now... (he's only a young one...lol). I wonder... Would be great if we could claim this. Might try it in a new thread later and see what advice people give....

(sorry guys I know this isn't a moan!) :)

I've worked in Ireland continuously since 2005. Won't on mat leave October 2012 and been off since. Husband has been in continuous employment just over 2 years now... (he's only a young one...lol). I wonder... Would be great if we could claim this. Might try it in a new thread later and see what advise people give....

(sorry guys I know this isn't a moan!) :)

Still a good point nonetheless, my mother always tells me to take what's offered, especially when it comes to money. I'm not too proud to take free money if I am entitled to it!

• Advertisement

I would have been charged 45 but because km pregnant she said its covered.
    I will find out next week and let you know.

Advertisement