Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Got my scan date in the post. How do people stop themselves going mad with terror that the scan will bring bad news!? Im absolutely terrified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've got an appointment tomorrow, after being the pedestrian in a Vehicle v Pedestrian crash on Saturday.

Babs has been a bit quiet ever since, could hear a quiet heartbeat on Monday and scanned ok on Saturday but still paranoid as hell.

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Got my scan date in the post. How do people stop themselves going mad with terror that the scan will bring bad news!? Im absolutely terrified

When I got my big scan date I was real excited, then coming up to it I started to google. DO NOT DO THIS!!! I had myself convinced that baby would have half his head missing!! I had gotten myself in an absolute tissy over it! My sister nearly wet herself laughing at me (not joking!). The scan results were perfect!! And I feel very stupid looking back on it now! I had a big scan at 26 weeks and having another one on Monday 34 weeks. Can't wait to see baby again and see how much he has grown! I did the PEARS study so the scan is my "prize" :) looking back on it the 20 week scan is very reassuring, don't worry your baby will be perfect (my sister quoted me all the statistics when I was having my meltdown and it is such a small %, even the sonographer was laughing at me!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had my 34 week scan a couple of weeks back for the PEARS study, unfortunately I could see very little compared to the 20 week scan, partly because they're all squished in there now that they're bigger, and also he was in a very awkward position! So no pics, couldn't even really make anything out on the screen.

Still, it was worth it just to be sure everything looks ok and his size is fine. :) And they were able to give me an estimated birth weight too - seven pounds eleven if he's born at 40 weeks - will be interesting to see how close that is!

I had my 34 week scan a couple of weeks back for the PEARS study, unfortunately I could see very little compared to the 20 week scan, partly because they're all squished in there now that they're bigger, and also he was in a very awkward position! So no pics, couldn't even really make anything out on the screen.

Still, it was worth it just to be sure everything looks ok and his size is fine. :) And they were able to give me an estimated birth weight too - seven pounds eleven if he's born at 40 weeks - will be interesting to see how close that is!

I think mine will be over 8lbs but we will see what they say on Monday. Not stocking up on too many size 1 nappies!! Think I have 75! He was 2lbs 4ozs at 26 weeks :) I started that food diary today. He is also breech at the mo :( I think I will do the genesis study for another scan at 38 weeks to check has he turned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Mine are 5lb 9oz and 5lb 3oz as of last Monday at 34 weeks. Which I am told is big for twins, which I am glad about because with all the complications that have arisen lately but least if they need to come early they are solid sizes to deal with it and hopefully won't have to spend too long in NICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

five days overdue now so Im officially fed up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I've got an appointment tomorrow, after being the pedestrian in a Vehicle v Pedestrian crash on Saturday.

Babs has been a bit quiet ever since, could hear a quiet heartbeat on Monday and scanned ok on Saturday but still paranoid as hell.

:/

That must have been terrifying! Hope all is well with your little one - good that they gave you a scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Not too bad, and she's in perfect condition - little poser to boot :) Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

5 weeks until I'm due and here are the things I cannot wait for:

- Brushing my teeth without feeling the need to vomit
    - Getting through a whole day without reaching for the gaviscon bottle
    - Being able to paint my toenails
    - A gin and tonic!!
    - And of course holding my little bundle of joy :)

• Advertisement

Bagheera wrote: »

- A gin and tonic!!

Haven't taken gaviscon yet am chewing loads of extra peppermint chewing gum and drinking cold milk and it seems to be doing the trick! (Touch wood) haven't vomited since Thursday which is a record. I think I have 6 weeks to go and I am literally on countdown! Would live him to make an appearance a few days early!! :)
    Can't wait to be able to eat food in general!!
    I think I will ban cream crackers from the house after this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Bagheera wrote: »

- A gin and tonic!!

Your lucky the end is near. I love a glass of red wine this time of the year and this is the second xmas in a row I cant have it..
    I hate toothpaste too hubby didnt understand it first time round this time its not as bad.
    I just get hubby to paint my toe nails its more relaxing :P
    And I've never had a heartburn in my life so cant say much there but it sounds awful from everyone I've been chatting to

I'm 21 weeks and really wish time would go quicker I've my scan Monday week.. I'm getting massive already just popped in the last week its crazy..

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

7weeks to go and i too can't wait. Dying to have a drink. Getting sick also when i brush my teeth and heartburn is doing my head in. Looking forward to going out for a nice meal and not feeling full halfway
    through. Can't wait for my daughter to meet the new arrival, she is so excited!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Heart burn jeez. I had it so bad first time round. Literally had to check with the doc about the amount of gaviscon i was taking. Had to carry it around in the hand bag and take a few sneaky swigs here and there.
    I even used to get the acid burps where it would nearly come up and burn the throat of me.
    My daughter was born with a huge head of hair. Its as thick as a ditch.
    This time im not as bad yet. Still need to take gaviscon at least twice a day but thats nothing in comparison to first time.

Atrocious skin, terrible regrowth on my hair (which won't accept hair-dyes now) and a serious pot-belly. And I have to stand up and give not one, not two, not three, but FOUR presentations over the next fortnight in front of my entire year in college.
    I could never even give presentations before I got pregnant without sweating profusely, tearing up and stammering. Now I'm pregnant I cant get half my words out right, I cry at the shade of green the grass is and I'm flushed and hot all the time before stress is added to the mix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

So tired so sore and so sick. Puking for the first time in awhile :( was up with my 1 year old coughing all night so reckon it's tiredness. Have my GTT in morning too which I'm utterly dreading I'm (slightly irrationally) terrified of any mention of gestational diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

cyning wrote: »
    So tired so sore and so sick. Puking for the first time in awhile :( was up with my 1 year old coughing all night so reckon it's tiredness. Have my GTT in morning too which I'm utterly dreading I'm (slightly irrationally) terrified of any mention of gestational diabetes.

I am also terrified of getting this !! I actually freak out at the thoughts .. Which is irrational :rolleyes: or so people keep telling me !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Short answer… you can’t! I was so worried during the first weeks of pregnancy that I had three, yes three, private scans before my main 12 week scan at the hospital! I was just so worried because I had no morning sickness and didn’t really ‘feel’ pregnant. I was convinced that something was going to go wrong. Thankfully all my scans were fine and the baby was measuring perfectly at 12 weeks. However, I am now 15 weeks and I am beginning to get that worried feeling again. I don’t know how I am going to wait another 5 weeks to my next scan. Might book another sneaky scan in the mean time!

It’s just a worrying time and there’s nothing anyone can say to make you feel better. Have you had a private scan? I think they are worth the money for peace of mind. They cost about €100. Once you see a heartbeat, the chances of anything going wrong drops dramatically. The vast majority of miscarriages are when the baby didn’t have a heartbeat to begin with.

I agree with the ‘no googling’ thing, my husband had to physically take the phone off me one night when I insisted on reading the ‘pregnancy loss’ forum on rollercoaster.ie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You don't need to go for a private early scan... phone the hospital emergency maternity unit and tell them if you don't feel pregnant, or if you have any pain. I've had several public early scans in CUMH on all my pregnancies. Maybe they take me more seriously because I've MC history, but they've never even asked on the phone, they just say come in.

ncmc wrote: »
    Short answer… you can’t! I was so worried during the first weeks of pregnancy that I had three, yes three, private scans before my main 12 week scan at the hospital! I was just so worried because I had no morning sickness and didn’t really ‘feel’ pregnant. I was convinced that something was going to go wrong. Thankfully all my scans were fine and the baby was measuring perfectly at 12 weeks. However, I am now 15 weeks and I am beginning to get that worried feeling again. I don’t know how I am going to wait another 5 weeks to my next scan. Might book another sneaky scan in the mean time!

It’s just a worrying time and there’s nothing anyone can say to make you feel better. Have you had a private scan? I think they are worth the money for peace of mind. They cost about €100. Once you see a heartbeat, the chances of anything going wrong drops dramatically. The vast majority of miscarriages are when the baby didn’t have a heartbeat to begin with.

I agree with the ‘no googling’ thing, my husband had to physically take the phone off me one night when I insisted on reading the ‘pregnancy loss’ forum on rollercoaster.ie :(

Wouldnt have 100 to spare or the means to travel to Dublin to get one! Might as well wait and get my free one after Xmas!

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    You don't need to go for a private early scan... phone the hospital emergency maternity unit and tell them if you don't feel pregnant, or if you have any pain. I've had several public early scans in CUMH on all my pregnancies. Maybe they take me more seriously because I've MC history, but they've never even asked on the phone, they just say come in.

I actually paid privately €95 for a private scan at 12 weeks and had nuchal fold measurement done. Around that time I was telling a sonographer I know who works in a country hospital and she said I was mad paying and I should just request a scan. Supposedly if you are unsure of dates or had a little bleed they will give you one no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

But what if you're just a total worry wart like me!!!! Wouldn't like to fib about a bleed or anything like that, I'd be afraid of tempting fate. It's the major disadvantage of going public, that you don't get a scan every four weeks. I've my 16 week doctors app next week, if he can't pick up a heartbeat, I might see if hospital would scan me.

ncmc wrote: »
    But what if you're just a total worry wart like me!!!! Wouldn't like to fib about a bleed or anything like that, I'd be afraid of tempting fate. It's the major disadvantage of going public, that you don't get a scan every four weeks. I've my 16 week doctors app next week, if he can't pick up a heartbeat, I might see if hospital would scan me.

I didn't want to lie either! I just paid the €95! In holles street you get a mini scan at every appointment. My gp got a new heartbeat machine which is rubbish and doesn't work, at one of my appointments I didn't hear heartbeat and he did that fundal measurement thing (and measured me wrong), said I was measuring small. I rang
    Holles street straight away and they got me to come in no questions! Went to casualty was seen by a young doctor (who also didn't know how to use a measuring tape!!) again he said I was measuring small so was sent upstairs for a big scan. Thank god everything is perfect! Everything was free of charge. If you sign up for studies you will get free big scans in return. I am doing pears study and got a big scan free which lasted 30 minutes and was amazing and may do genesis study to get another free big scan at 38 weeks :)
    I know a girl who is having her baby in a country hospital where they don't offer any scans as standard!! She paid €100 for scan at 12 weeks, then had to pay €165 for anomaly scan at 25 weeks and had to travel to dublin for both! Total disgrace I think everyone should be offered anomaly scan!

It's not standard in any of the hospitals to get a scan (mini or otherwise) at every visit. It's luck of the draw to an extent and down to the doctor you see on the day. It's not standard practice and some of the doctors are very strict at sticking to it, others are happy to scan at every visit for reassurance. Only the 3 big scans are standard, and even if you go private some consultants only include these 3 scans and any others are charged for. Of course each pregnancy is different so some people will get loads of scans if the consultant believes its necessary.

It's not standard in any of the hospitals to get a scan (mini or otherwise) at every visit. It's luck of the draw to an extent and down to the doctor you see on the day. It's not standard practice and some of the doctors are very strict at sticking to it, others are happy to scan at every visit for reassurance. Only the 3 big scans are standard, and even if you go private some consultants only include these 3 scans and any others are charged for. Of course each pregnancy is different so some people will get loads of scans if the consultant believes its necessary.

I've gotten a mini-scan at every appointment in Holles St, and so have any other public patients I've spoken to ... it might not be their official policy, but it seems to be the standard practice there.

If you read other threads on here there are equally plenty of patients at holles street who didn't get scans at all visits. I personally know of someone who had 3 scans and no more and never got a mini scan at a routine appointment. All I am advising is not to assume but if you want one be prepared to ask. But don't be surprised if they say it's not needed. When I was enquiring about private and semi private care I was distinctly told that only 3 scans are included as part of the package. Additional scans are at the consultants discretion and may be charged. It was part of why I chose semi private in the rotunda as all scans requested by the consultant are included in the package.

I've gotten a mini-scan at every appointment in Holles St, and so have any other public patients I've spoken to ... it might not be their official policy, but it seems to be the standard practice there.

Me too. Literally every person in the room the day I used to go anyway gets scanned! (Thursday morning) Even the day I was there for emergency the morning clinic was so slow that it ran into afternoon clinic, loads of people were going mad and it was because there was only one person on who could scan (well that's what they told us anyway!). I think they use the mini scanner instead of the heartbeat device as they only used to use mini scanner and me and that checks heartbeat too plus I think it's handier and quicker :)

Millem wrote: »
    Me too. Literally every person in the room the day I used to go anyway gets scanned! (Thursday morning) Even the day I was there for emergency the morning clinic was so slow that it ran into afternoon clinic, loads of people were going mad and it was because there was only one person on who could scam (well that's what they told us anyway!). I think they use the mini scanner instead of the heartbeat device as they only used to use mini scanner and me and that checks heartbeat too plus I think it's handier and quicker :)

Same at the Monday morning clinic, everyone gets scanned. I think it's so they can check fluid levels too, not sure how they manage to do that if they don't scan.

Funny enough though, there's one woman I know who went semi-private there, and she only got one scan all the way through on both her pregnancies!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Why not buy a Doppler? You can usually detect a heartbeat as early as 10 or 11 weeks, and use it every day if you like. That's what we did on our first. I wouldn't have been comfortable requesting unnecessary scans on the already burdened public system.

Our hospital had a policy of only scanning at 20- 23 weeks nothing before unless there was a medical reason. In my case there was but they were very slow to agree to one despite that. A Doppler at home stopped a lot of worry.

• Advertisement

Same at the Monday morning clinic, everyone gets scanned. I think it's so they can check fluid levels too, not sure how they manage to do that if they don't scan.

Funny enough though, there's one woman I know who went semi-private there, and she only got one scan all the way through on both her pregnancies!

That's mad! I never even looked into semi private so don't know anything about it! Do they see consultant in a different area? Maybe they don't have those mini scanners in their office? In fairness that mini scan is very reassuring, I am sure they check organs etc too! I never know what I am looking at! Even when I got a young doctor they scanned me too! I thought it was the rule! I always just went in lay on the bed and lifted up my top !! Lol lol! I have had 3 big scans up at fetal assessment and I think I will do then genesis so I another big one at 38 weeks :) I am praying he will be under 10lbs lol lol

Advertisement