Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Same at the Monday morning clinic, everyone gets scanned. I think it's so they can check fluid levels too, not sure how they manage to do that if they don't scan.

Funny enough though, there's one woman I know who went semi-private there, and she only got one scan all the way through on both her pregnancies!

For what it's worth Tuesday afternoon clinic was the same! I saw the same consultant bar twice and each on of them scanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Neyite wrote: »
    Why not buy a Doppler? You can usually detect a heartbeat as early as 10 or 11 weeks, and use it every day if you like. That's what we did on our first. I wouldn't have been comfortable requesting unnecessary scans on the already burdened public system

I was very tempted to get a Doppler, early on in the pregnancy, but a few midwives I spoke to warned against it. They said that they can give false reassurance and stop women coming in to be checked out, when they really should be. Besides even the GP couldn't find a heartbeat on mine when I was 18 weeks, so I'd have had no hope! :o

I wouldn't be comfortable requesting extra scans either, but the fact that I get them at every appointment is a MASSIVE reassurance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Why not buy a Doppler? You can usually detect a heartbeat as early as 10 or 11 weeks, and use it every day if you like. That's what we did on our first. I wouldn't have been comfortable requesting unnecessary scans on the already burdened public system.

Our hospital had a policy of only scanning at 20- 23 weeks nothing before unless there was a medical reason. In my case there was but they were very slow to agree to one despite that. A Doppler at home stopped a lot of worry.
    I have a Doppler on order, but I have heard that it can be hard for a lay person to find the heartbeat, so they can create more anxiety than they cure!

I have my doctors app next week at 16 weeks, if he can't find a heartbeat, I'm going to request a scan. Just feel a horrible sense of foreboding this week, I'm constantly looking at my bump - I feel it's gone down a bit today and that's sent me into further panic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My moan the one mornin J decides to sleep till after 9 I'm awake from 6 lien there waiting to get up. Not to mention needing the bathroom too! That's 4 nights of no sleep or little sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Not really a moan but a solution to a previous moan I had that might help other mums-to-be, finally got nursing bras to fit me :) I had tried EVERYWHERE - M&S, Debenhams, Mothercare, Arnotts, Boyers, Clerys, etc; etc; and finally struck gold on littlewoods.ie they're more like a sports bra/cropped top than a bra but they have great support and unhook on each side. Better still it was €25 for 2 rather than €40 for one that I seemed to be a standard price in shops :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was very tempted to get a Doppler, early on in the pregnancy, but a few midwives I spoke to warned against it. They said that they can give false reassurance and stop women coming in to be checked out, when they really should be. Besides even the GP couldn't find a heartbeat on mine when I was 18 weeks, so I'd have had no hope! :o

I wouldn't be comfortable requesting extra scans either, but the fact that I get them at every appointment is a MASSIVE reassurance. :)

If a woman fails to keep her ante-natal appointments because she has a home doppler, then she is an idiot. Ditto for women who have pains or bleeding. You get it checked out FFS, not sit at home and play doctors.

What I am referring to is women who are having textbook pregnancies, who are having the required scans and checkups by their GP and midwives, and who have no pains, or bleeding. To lie in order to get a scan just for your own peace of mind, means bumping another woman who does have actual pain or actual bleeding further down the list and delays her treatment.

I get that we all worry during pregnancy, and more so before movement is felt. As you know, I lost my baby's twin at 8 weeks and I worried until 22 weeks that everything was ok with the other baby until I could feel movement. I got a scan at 11 weeks because a consultant ordered one done. I was terrified of losing the remaining twin, so I got a home doppler. I found it easy to use though probably because I'm quite slim anyway and it was all bump. I got it around 13 weeks and had no issues finding a heartbeat.

If your GP couldnt find a heartbeat at 18 weeks either the equipment or their training is faulty.
    ncmc wrote: »
    I have a Doppler on order, but I have heard that it can be hard for a lay person to find the heartbeat, so they can create more anxiety than they cure!

I have my doctors app next week at 16 weeks, if he can't find a heartbeat, I'm going to request a scan. Just feel a horrible sense of foreboding this week, I'm constantly looking at my bump - I feel it's gone down a bit today and that's sent me into further panic :(

The doctor will refer you to the hospital for a scan and further investigation if a heartbeat cant be found. And if you do experience anything out of the ordinary, dont hesitate to to go to your GP or midwife for reassurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I can only speak from my experience in holles street and the one and only time I rang them in a panic after a gp visit (where is said the fundal measurement was 2 weeks behind and his Doppler machine couldn't find a heartbeat) they insisted I get a scan for my own piece of mind! The gp wanted me to come back to him next week!! The dominos always say to me if you have ANY worries whatsoever about baby not moving etc to ring them straight away! Thank god I haven't had to do that! I think a scan is necessary if you are very worried. I know there is no way I could of waited a week to see him I was just so upset. I would of paid for a scan if holles street wouldn't give me one!

Not really a moan but a solution to a previous moan I had that might help other mums-to-be, finally got nursing bras to fit me :) I had tried EVERYWHERE - M&S, Debenhams, Mothercare, Arnotts, Boyers, Clerys, etc; etc; and finally struck gold on littlewoods.ie they're more like a sports bra/cropped top than a bra but they have great support and unhook on each side. Better still it was €25 for 2 rather than €40 for one that I seemed to be a standard price in shops :eek:

I need to get some! But wouldn't have a clue what's size to order not due till January.

Millem wrote: »
    I need to get some! But wouldn't have a clue what's size to order not due till January.

I ordered a size 20.
    Pre pregnancy, I'm a size 18 on top (size 44B boobs) so I went up one size and they are perfect. They fit me fine at the moment without being baggy on me but they definitely have room for fuller boobs. See link below (just saw they have gone down top €19 for 2 :rolleyes:

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/intimates-solutions-nursing-crop-top-2-pack/1195158332.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f1916

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

I got mine today, it fits fine now but I am not too sure that it will be fine when the girls are getting bigger. On the other hand they are already bigger and the bra is nice and comfy. A too much thinking I guess :)

• Advertisement

Do all doctors have a doppler for listening to the heartbeat? This will my first doctors visit (bar the initial visit at 6 weeks)

Do all doctors have a doppler for listening to the heartbeat? This will my first doctors visit (bar the initial visit at 6 weeks)

I don't know! My gp does but either he is useless or his machine is useless!! As it never works and he always tells me that it doesn't work before he uses it!

I ordered a size 20.
    Pre pregnancy, I'm a size 18 on top (size 44B boobs) so I went up one size and they are perfect. They fit me fine at the moment without being baggy on me but they definitely have room for fuller boobs. See link below (just saw they have gone down top €19 for 2 :rolleyes:

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/intimates-solutions-nursing-crop-top-2-pack/1195158332.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f1916

Thanks a mill! I must order some! My pre pregnancy bra size was around 34f but am a size 12 on top. Wouldn't have a clue on size now! Am still in my normal clothes size 12 and wearing my normal bras! Do you reckon a 16 would do wouldn't want them it too small?

I don't know! My gp does but either he is useless or his machine is useless!! As it never works and he always tells me that it doesn't work before he uses it!
    Just rang and made an appointment for Monday morning and they do have a Doppler so hopefully they'll be able to pick up the heartbeat. I'll be 15 + 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What I am referring to is women who are having textbook pregnancies, who are having the required scans and checkups by their GP and midwives, and who have no pains, or bleeding. To lie in order to get a scan just for your own peace of mind, means bumping another woman who does have actual pain or actual bleeding further down the list and delays her treatment.

Oh god yeah, completely agree with you there!

Thanks a mill! I must order some! My pre pregnancy bra size was around 34f but am a size 12 on top. Wouldn't have a clue on size now! Am still in my normal clothes size 12 and wearing my normal bras! Do you reckon a 16 would do wouldn't want them it too small?

My normal bras fit fine and any maternity tops I've bought have been an 18 (they just have more room in the bump area) so I just went up the one size.
    I tried them on with breast pads on and there's still a decent bit of room in them. Ordinarily I'd say give it another week or 2 and see if you get any bigger but with Christmas etc; you might want to order them in advance so you get them. That said, the likes of Debenhams would have 34F in stock so it might be no harm to get them to measure you :)

My normal bras fit fine and any maternity tops I've bought have been an 18 (they just have more room in the bump area) so I just went up the one size.
    I tried them on with breast pads on and there's still a decent bit of room in them. Ordinarily I'd say give it another week or 2 and see if you get any bigger but with Christmas etc; you might want to order them in advance so you get them. That said, the likes of Debenhams would have 34F in stock so it might be no harm to get them to measure you :)

I see the littlewoods have a 6 week wait :( I am totally clueless about nursing bras but they don't look very supportive? Do nursing bras normally have underwire in them? I am hopefully going to the breast feeding workshop tomorrow so maybe they will tell us about bras??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Has anyone found anywhere that's nicely priced for the belts needed during pregnancy for pelvic pain..? I was given quotes for 60 euro

I see the littlewoods have a 6 week wait :( I am totally clueless about nursing bras but they don't look very supportive? Do nursing bras normally have underwire in them? I am hopefully going to the breast feeding workshop tomorrow so maybe they will tell us about bras??

Are they out of stock? I ordered mine last Wednesday night and got them on Monday.
    The ones I got have great support in them - like a sports bra. Don't know much about them really but I don't think underwire is really recommended during pregnancy - might be worth asking them at the workshop though :)

Are they out of stock? I ordered mine last Wednesday night and got them on Monday.
    The ones I got have great support in them - like a sports bra. Don't know much about them really but I don't think underwire is really recommended during pregnancy - might be worth asking them at the workshop though :)

You can still order them but size 16 and 14 say something like "6 weeks delay awaiting stock"! Don't know about other sizes. I don't know anything about those bras! What I mean is they don't "look" like bras!! They look like a top and I would wear a bra underneath?? Or is this what nursing bras look like? Please excuse my ignorance I don't have a clue!

• Advertisement

You can still order them but size 16 and 14 say something like "6 weeks delay awaiting stock"! Don't know about other sizes. I don't know anything about those bras! What I mean is they don't "look" like bras!! They look like a top and I would wear a bra underneath?? Or is this what nursing bras look like? Please excuse my ignorance I don't have a clue!

You can get nursing bras that look just like normal bras except the strap unclips from the cup for feeding. The ones on littlewoods are like a sports bra/gym top -they were the only ones I could get to fit me but they do the exact same job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Has anyone found anywhere that's nicely priced for the belts needed during pregnancy for pelvic pain..? I was given quotes for 60 euro

If you mean a serola belt i got one on physio needs.ie for 45 including postage. Was delivered 2 days after i placed the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I wouldn't go mad buying nursing bras just yet: I went up over a cup size when my milk came in, and dropped two cup sizes after about 3/4 months. Just something to be aware of: I ended up with bras that were no good. Underwire isn't recommended esp in early months because they "can" cause blocked ducts. Hot milk nursing bras pop up on Zulily all the time worth keeping an eye :) and they are pretty too. Not to be underestimated!

I cannot understand why my bum is so flipping sore. Sitting hurts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Why not ask the physio department for some tubi grip? I was given a length of it by my physio to pull over my bump and fold down to support it. Really comfy, you can just rinse it out by hand and best of all FREE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Check up today in the Rotunda and it was like a sauna in there. Felt like i was there all day. Got a quick scan baby is breech and doctor reckons about 7lb. Still 6 weeks to go

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cyning wrote: »
    I wouldn't go mad buying nursing bras just yet: I went up over a cup size when my milk came in, and dropped two cup sizes after about 3/4 months. Just something to be aware of: I ended up with bras that were no good. Underwire isn't recommended esp in early months because they "can" cause blocked ducts. Hot milk nursing bras pop up on Zulily all the time worth keeping an eye :) and they are pretty too. Not to be underestimated!

I cannot understand why my bum is so flipping sore. Sitting hurts :(

I got one nursing bra. I used it one day when my milk came in, and found hidden support vests much easier. Trying to unclip a bra, move a top, be discreet while holding a squirming infant wailing for food was too much faffing around.

I had a swing cardi, jersey stretch top, and hidden support vest. Pull cardigan over, pull up top, pull down vest, bring up baby to the breast, pull cardigan away and position baby. Nice and discreet and comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

10 weeks pregnant tomorrow and haven't even so much as heard a heartbeat :(
    Dont even think my GP has the equipment to do that for me if I went in and requested it. I know it sounds awful, but I just want to know if my baby is alive at this stage! :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    10 weeks pregnant tomorrow and haven't even so much as heard a heartbeat :(
    Dont even think my GP has the equipment to do that for me if I went in and requested it. I know it sounds awful, but I just want to know if my baby is alive at this stage! :(
    As far as I know, a Doppler won't be able to pick up a hearbeat this early, I think they can only be detected from 12 weeks or so. I know, it's an awful feeling when you feel so clueless and helpless, that's why I ended up getting the early scans. When are you due your scan?

As far as I know, a Doppler won't be able to pick up a hearbeat this early, I think they can only be detected from 14 weeks or so. I know, it's an awful feeling when you feel so clueless and helpless, that's why I ended up getting the early scans. When are you due your scan?

It depends. I had a doppler used successfully on me at 11 weeks, but I'm very slim so that apparently helped. But they did have to move it around a good bit until they found the heartbeat. I was able to use my home one easily at 13 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

As far as I know, a Doppler won't be able to pick up a hearbeat this early, I think they can only be detected from 12 weeks or so. I know, it's an awful feeling when you feel so clueless and helpless, that's why I ended up getting the early scans. When are you due your scan?
    It depends. I had a doppler used successfully on me at 11 weeks, but I'm very slim so that apparently helped. But they did have to move it around a good bit until they found the heartbeat. I was able to use my home one easily at 13 weeks.

It's just rotten, I'm being plagued with vivid nightmares of going to my scan and seeing half-formed babies with no heartbeats and all sorts of other horrific things I won't even mention for fear of putting the thought into someone else's head!
    First scan is 6th January and it honestly cannot come quick enough! A private scan would cost me a fortune - Dublin is closest and I am in Monaghan - about €50 in travel expenses and another €100 for the scan and we really just do not have it to spare.
    I'm not slim so I would be concerned that no heartbeat would be picked up either, and that would send me into a frenzy!
    I suppose I should be more than thankful that I have yet to suffer from constipation or morning sickness, but the utter lack of symptoms makes me think that the whole pregnancy is a dream!

Advertisement