Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I do wonder why it's ok to blame every ailment on just been pregnant and we should just put up with. I had to use out of hours doctor Friday for tummy pain for 24 hours. My only response from the doctor is nothing we can do. Then by Sunday I had the pains in my chest. Could hardly breath and my head was bursting they too couldn't do anything again. Monday I went to my gp and he said I was anemic and it was an anxiety attack on top of that. Also said not to leave myself in that pain again to call him out of hours straight away! I love my doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I do wonder why it's ok to blame every ailment on just been pregnant and we should just put up with. I had to use out of hours doctor Friday for tummy pain for 24 hours. My only response from the doctor is nothing we can do. Then by Sunday I had the pains in my chest. Could hardly breath and my head was bursting they too couldn't do anything again. Monday I went to my gp and he said I was anemic and it was an anxiety attack on top of that. Also said not to leave myself in that pain again to call him out of hours straight away! I love my doctor

I think its a bit irresponsible to blame everything on pregnancy !! Im lucky my GP is so good !! You are also lucky you have a good one !! What about the poor women who have a crap GP :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Suucee wrote: »
    She slept about 45mins the first day. Then just over an hour the second. Now waking herself most mornings around 8.30 and sleeping between an hour and an hour and a half.

Hope it works. I was wrecked without that nap.

Im going to kill my oh. Had just fallen asleep when he decides to go out to the boxing bag in the garage and it woke me. Men....

Suucee thank you for my sanity!!!! I woke LO up at 8am. Put him down for a nap at 1 and he slept till 2! Got to eat my lunch, clean the kitchen and put a little makeup on to go out when he woke up :). Feeling like a real person again! It's amazing how an hour to yourself can revitalise you. Xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

LH2013 wrote: »
    I think its a bit irresponsible to blame everything on pregnancy !! Im lucky my GP is so good !! You are also lucky you have a good one !! What about the poor women who have a crap GP :(:(

I had I only changed 6 weeks ago. My gp before that said to me that because I had headaches it was the price to pay. And his nurse had no problem handing back the same pee pot for the next time. Also at 18 weeks pregnant he was sending me for an xray and gave me loads of meds that had to be took back as they weren't suitable (he forgot I was pregnant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Suucee thank you for my sanity!!!! I woke LO up at 8am. Put him down for a nap at 1 and he slept till 2! Got to eat my lunch, clean the kitchen and put a little makeup on to go out when he woke up :). Feeling like a real person again! It's amazing how an hour to yourself can revitalise you. Xxx

Glad it worked. Naps are so important for us aswell as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ah mrspostman I really empathise: I had 7 inpatient stays on my last pregnancy. Horrible :( hope you manage to get some rest.

I'm flipping sick (and it's not pregnancy!). Stupid temp and sore throat and headache. And coughing really hurts: I was fine this morn and by this afternoon I was so sick. Hope it doesn't last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

cyning wrote: »
    Ah mrspostman I really empathise: I had 7 inpatient stays on my last pregnancy. Horrible :( hope you manage to get some rest.

I'm flipping sick (and it's not pregnancy!). Stupid temp and sore throat and headache. And coughing really hurts: I was fine this morn and by this afternoon I was so sick. Hope it doesn't last

I got through my last sickness with paracetamol, Vicks on my feet, Halls Soother XLs and two huge bottles of Lucozade.
    I'd have preferred a mountain of codeine to swim in, but us pregnant ladies gotta make do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I do wonder why it's ok to blame every ailment on just been pregnantr

I'd say it's because 90% of the crap we get is because of the pregnancy.

I never get this heart thing normally, it is just when i am pregnant, and i have a human skull lodged in my ribcage putting pressure on my lungs and heart. It must be common enough, the maternity hosp had two ecg machines in their emergnecy room.

Back problems , pregnancy.

Hip problems, pregnancy.

Piles or incontinence, pregnancy.

Skin problems, pregnancy.

Teeth problems, pregnancy.

Blood pressure problems.... Pregnancy.

My new buddy... Sinus pain.. (new to me, it's like someone has replaced behind my face with crushed glass) is thanks to estrogen plumping up my sinuses, mixed with a common cold apparantly.

Even if i break a bone, it's straight to a maternity ward i need to go to, not to get it set in A&E, because rhesus negative people need an anti-d shot during pregnancy.

I guess it's why there is such a huge pregnancy moan thread as well. :)

I can't even remember the last time i saw a doctor that wasn't about pregnancy, after effects of a pregnancy, or getting pregnant. Must have been about a decade ago for vaccines for travel.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my bump appeared in ernest in the last few days but i appear to be in some mental arkward stage where my own clothes are slight too tight, to tight to wear in work all day - and maternity clothes too big

John Mason wrote: »
    my bump appeared in ernest in the last few days but i appear to be in some mental arkward stage where my own clothes are slight too tight, to tight to wear in work all day - and maternity clothes too big

I bought a size 14 pair of maternity jeans and I still can't wear them. Feel silly since a size 14 pair of jeans would fit!!
    Living in fleece leggings at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

John Mason wrote: »

I'm finding I'm at that stage too, I bought a pair of maternity trousers in size 12 and they totally swamp me. I would normally be a 10, but I thought with the extra bit of weight all over I might need to go up a size, but they obviously account for that in the maternity sizing.

Leggings are great for that in between stage, hoping to pick up a pair of work trousers and a pair of jeans this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'd have preferred a mountain of codeine to swim in, but us pregnant ladies gotta make do :D

I'm finding this really tough right now. I broke my tibia and fibula about six weeks before I got pregnant (both accidental :o) and the breaks were pretty severe - surgery, wheelchair, months of crutches, the works. I'm only crutch free for three weeks and only half way through healing. At this point I should be able to throw as much ibuprofen and codeine into me as I can handle for pain management but thanks to bump it's a no go, and I may as well throw holy water at my leg as take paracetamol. Some days it gets really sore and tough and walking is so hard, but I wouldn't change having bump for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

i am so so tired :(

Jerrica wrote: »
    I may as well throw holy water at my leg as take paracetamol.

This has me in stitches!

Oh, might sound silly, but the children's (not toddler's) Calpol works quite well as pain relief. Probably because it's liquid and gets to the site quicker, but I used it for my sore throat when I had the cold last time. Midwife said its perfectly safe as it's just liquid paracetamol, and a quick google tells you how many spoonfuls equals one tablet. Might be worth a shot, if for nothing other than the fruity deliciousness.

Oh, might sound silly, but the children's (not toddler's) Calpol works quite well as pain relief. Probably because it's liquid and gets to the site quicker, but I used it for my sore throat when I had the cold last time. Midwife said its perfectly safe as it's just liquid paracetamol, and a quick google tells you how many spoonfuls equals one tablet. Might be worth a shot, if for nothing other than the fruity deliciousness.

I'm willing to try anything at this stage, thank you so much for the tip, must give my midwife a call so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I have a Bartholin's cyst on my fanjita which is extremely painful. Started off with a small hard lump on Tuesday and it is now a very angry, painful and red hot lump which is growing bigger. Consultant Gynae said yestedray she will probably need to operate on it next week, am in bits :(

Merkin wrote: »
    I have a Bartholin's cyst on my fanjita which is extremely painful. Started off with a small hard lump on Tuesday and it is now a very angry, painful and red hot lump which is growing bigger. Consultant Gynae said yestedray she will probably need to operate on it next week, am in bits :(

Oh god... I got one of these not pregnant that burst on its own.... I actually feel physically ill thinking about it for you sorry :( big massive hugs. Rest up and lots of chocolate of whatever floats your boat :)

oh you poor love, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I think it's only fair that if they operate they give you scans on demand for the duration of your stay as compensation :o

cyning wrote: »
    Oh god... I got one of these not pregnant that burst on its own.... I actually feel physically ill thinking about it for you sorry :( big massive hugs. Rest up and lots of chocolate of whatever floats your boat :)

Aww thank you. I'm miserable with it tbh as it has just become very big and painful very quickly! It's actually sore to sit. I'd never even heard of them before but the told me in the antenatal unit yesterday that they see them all the time! How long did it take for yours to burst and did you need to take antibiotics? Mine is now bigger than a two euro coin....my POOR fanjita!! :eek:

Jerrica wrote: »
    oh you poor love, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I think it's only fair that if they operate they give you scans on demand for the duration of your stay as compensation :o

That's good thinking Jerrica! :D I've been glued to baby Merkin's picture from their little photo shoot at the little scan yesterday! I bet you keep looking at yours too?

• Advertisement

Sure I have it memorised at this stage :D

Also LOL @ fanjita, I think that might be my new favourite word!!

Trapped in a bit of a moral dilemma (more so than a moan).

We've been renting this house for 8 months now, it's not suitable for a baby at all. Our lease isn't up until May but we've had some issues (burnt out shed full of semi-feral cats in the garden, no enclosed area to stop the neighbour's dog from doing his business on our patio, terrible, shoddy paintwork, broken and missing woodwork etc) never mind that the boiler busted on Sunday and we're still without heat.

I was trying to find out if the boiler issue was grounds for termination of lease and everyone agreed it was. Then my landlord text my partner to say that a new boiler was got and would be delivered and installed by this evening (we know enough about the landlord to know he means night when he says that).

The twist is my mother's very close friend has a house in a very quiet area close to town that has just been decorated and he is looking for someone to inhabit it basically since it's the family home. He's offered it to us at a ridiculous low rent, not even €400 per month (compared to our €550 here). He's also offered to put in new beds and mattresses and a new suite of furniture. Everything else is already supplied. It was last redecorated two years ago but he told us if we want to paint it we can just take it out of the rent. The lady that's been caring for it while it was idle is a very close friend of the family and she says it's perfect. The lady that rented before us only left because she got local authority housing but has said we can ring her if we're unsure.

Just looking for a bit of advice on it ladies, I know it's a morally grey area because we are still in contract, but this sounds like too good an offer to pass up. We'd be making savings of almost €60 per week on rent alone. Heating costs would plummet as it is a much smaller house, and we also would have a back boiler and open fireplace.

I know all the neighbours, my late grandfather lived his whole live two doors down - that's where my mother was reared. It feels like too good an opportunity to pass up just because I'm in contract. I know we'd lose the deposit here... But this is a home that we could rear our child(ren) in.

We've been renting this house for 8 months now, it's not suitable for a baby at all. Our lease isn't up until May but we've had some issues (burnt out shed full of semi-feral cats in the garden, no enclosed area to stop the neighbour's dog from doing his business on our patio, terrible, shoddy paintwork, broken and missing woodwork etc) never mind that the boiler busted on Sunday and we're still without heat.

I was trying to find out if the boiler issue was grounds for termination of lease and everyone agreed it was. Then my landlord text my partner to say that a new boiler was got and would be delivered and installed by this evening (we know enough about the landlord to know he means night when he says that).

The twist is my mother's very close friend has a house in a very quiet area close to town that has just been decorated and he is looking for someone to inhabit it basically since it's the family home. He's offered it to us at a ridiculous low rent, not even €400 per month (compared to our €550 here). He's also offered to put in new beds and mattresses and a new suite of furniture. Everything else is already supplied. It was last redecorated two years ago but he told us if we want to paint it we can just take it out of the rent. The lady that's been caring for it while it was idle is a very close friend of the family and she says it's perfect. The lady that rented before us only left because she got local authority housing but has said we can ring her if we're unsure.

Just looking for a bit of advice on it ladies, I know it's a morally grey area because we are still in contract, but this sounds like too good an offer to pass up. We'd be making savings of almost €60 per week on rent alone. Heating costs would plummet as it is a much smaller house, and we also would have a back boiler and open fireplace.

I know all the neighbours, my late grandfather lived his whole live two doors down - that's where my mother was reared. It feels like too good an opportunity to pass up just because I'm in contract. I know we'd lose the deposit here... But this is a home that we could rear our child(ren) in.

Sounds ideal! I know you would prob feel bad about breaking the contract... But tbh, from previous posts of yours I have read... I don't really think you owe your current landlord anything. You have previously named a lot of things that he basically hasn't been arsed to fix for ye. And feral cats.... Yuk! On those grounds I would get out!

However, there is a bigger issue here.. Is he registered with the PRTB? If he is (which I doubt he is... IMO)... He could take a case against you to the PRTB for lost rent for the number of months the house remains unoccupied. If he is not registered however, he will be unable to take a case against you. I would never normally advocate breaking leases etc. but this LL (although Im sure is personally a nice man)... Really does not seem to be the type I would want to be renting off. Especially if something else goes wrong. Do give him adequate notice tho if you are going to move.

Move into this other nicer house... You have to start thinking about what's better for you and your family. Put yourself first.... Nobody else will :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Take the opportunity. Sometimes it's ment to be and maybe someone wants you to.be close to your roots ;-) You ll regret if you don't take it I am sure.

Sounds ideal! I know you would prob feel bad about breaking the contract... But tbh, from previous posts of yours I have read... I don't really think you owe your current landlord anything. You have previously named a lot of things that he basically hasn't been arsed to fix for ye. And feral cats.... Yuk! On those grounds I would get out!

However, there is a bigger issue here.. Is he registered with the PRTB? If he is (which I doubt he is... IMO)... He could take a case against you to the PRTB for lost rent for the number of months the house remains unoccupied. If he is not registered however, he will be unable to take a case against you. I would never normally advocate breaking leases etc. but this LL (although Im sure is personally a nice man)... Really does not seem to be the type I would want to be renting off. Especially if something else goes wrong. Do give him adequate notice tho if you are going to move.

Move into this other nicer house... You have to start thinking about what's better for you and your family. Put yourself first.... Nobody else will :)

He's not registered, I did check that ;)
    He is a nice man, and I do feel bad but (assuming all goes well at a viewing) this house sounds like its too good to pass up. We have to give 35 days notice and I just downloaded a sample notice of termination off the PRTB website with the intent of printing it off to have, just in case. If the boiler doesn't get fixed tonight it's hardly going to be fixed over the weekend. From what I understand, I just have to give the estate agent this letter and I have until the date I specify to vacate the property. I can't work out, however, if I am entitled to my deposit back since I have grounds to break the lease based on no heating being supplied.
    TBH I'd forgo the deposit if this house was worth it, we'd have the deposit back in rent and heating savings in a fortnight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

^^ Seems like a no brainer to me :) Although you will more than likely lose your deposit, it'll save you in the long run and look at all the extra added benefits too!

My moan is that the hospital are keeping me in for another night because my bp is still kinda erratic and I still have a headache :( To compensate me though I had a surprise scan done today and everything is perfect :) Baba even uncrossed it's legs this time so I found out the gender for certain :D 5lb13oz already and only 34+2 :eek:

He's not registered, I did check that ;)
    He is a nice man, and I do feel bad but (assuming all goes well at a viewing) this house sounds like its too good to pass up. We have to give 35 days notice and I just downloaded a sample notice of termination off the PRTB website with the intent of printing it off to have, just in case. If the boiler doesn't get fixed tonight it's hardly going to be fixed over the weekend. From what I understand, I just have to give the estate agent this letter and I have until the date I specify to vacate the property. I can't work out, however, if I am entitled to my deposit back since I have grounds to break the lease based on no heating being supplied.
    TBH I'd forgo the deposit if this house was worth it, we'd have the deposit back in rent and heating savings in a fortnight :o

Hmm, in regards to the deposit... That would depend on how long he takes to replace the boiler... Im guessing by the time it's installed (within the next few days) you've probably been without it about a week? Now, although that's long for anyone in winter not to have heat. Prtb would prob think of it as a quick enough service. 1 week to source and install a boiler seems fair enough. So I don't think they would see this as adequate grounds for breaking lease or terminating contract. I really don't think you'll be entitled to get your deposit back here.... Unless you dont pay your last months rent (which I'm not advocating btw :eek:). You could ask him for a mutual termination of lease which if he agrees you could get deposit back. Or find other tenants to take the house and take over a new lease for him. This would also entitle you to get your deposit back.

Either way.... This seems like a great opportunity for ye so I wouldn't pass it up.

Aww thank you. I'm miserable with it tbh as it has just become very big and painful very quickly! It's actually sore to sit. I'd never even heard of them before but the told me in the antenatal unit yesterday that they see them all the time! How long did it take for yours to burst and did you need to take antibiotics? Mine is now bigger than a two euro coin....my POOR fanjita!! :eek:

I hadn't until I got one either... Burst after about 3 days, and was on antibiotics for a week... They do get quite big. I can't imagine what it's like with no painkillers :( they did warn me it might flare again but never has thank god: totally disgusting.

Really hope it feels better soon: I used use an ice pack to help with the pain too

Hmm, in regards to the deposit... That would depend on how long he takes to replace the boiler... Im guessing by the time it's installed (within the next few days) you've probably been without it about a week? Now, although that's long for anyone in winter not to have heat. Prtb would prob think of it as a quick enough service. 1 week to source and install a boiler seems fair enough. So I don't think they would see this as adequate grounds for breaking lease or terminating contract. I really don't think you'll be entitled to get your deposit back here.... Unless you dont pay your last months rent (which I'm not advocating btw :eek:). You could ask him for a mutual termination of lease which if he agrees you could get deposit back. Or find other tenants to take the house and take over a new lease for him. This would also entitle you to get your deposit back.

Either way.... This seems like a great opportunity for ye so I wouldn't pass it up.

I think we'd be hard pressed to get someone to take over the lease, he has the most expensive house in the area for its size at the minute, plus the obvious fact that the interior is run down and the issue with the cats :(
    We're just trying to find out when the estate agent that has the key for the new place is open again and we're going to go look at it. Take it from there. But honestly (and I'm not advocating my actions either) if it is all it's said to be, I'll just be issuing notice and starting to move ASAP.

• Advertisement

I think we'd be hard pressed to get someone to take over the lease, he has the most expensive house in the area for its size at the minute, plus the obvious fact that the interior is run down and the issue with the cats :(
    We're just trying to find out when the estate agent that has the key for the new place is open again and we're going to go look at it. Take it from there. But honestly (and I'm not advocating my actions either) if it is all it's said to be, I'll just be issuing notice and starting to move ASAP.

You know... Was just thinking... The feral cat situation may be grounds to get your deposit back on terminating the lease. Health and safety and all that? And big risk of toxoplasmosis in pregant women which is well known and documented in the literature. If its a pest issue that was there before ye moved in? Do you have recent documentation of asking him to remove the source? I can't imagine him removing these any time soon..... But I'm not sure about this one... Perhaps post in the accommodation forum and ask? They'd advise you a lot better than me on this one... Or ring Threshold?

Advertisement