Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

January wrote: »
    It's been bad pretty much since about 13/14 weeks this time but on my other pregnancies I avoided it until pretty late.

Go to your doc January. If its very bad and u have it all day They'll prob prescribe you Zantac (ranitidine). My friend was put on it and she hasn't had a problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Go to your doc January. If its very bad and u have it all day They'll prob prescribe you Zantac (ranitidine). My friend was put on it and she hasn't had a problem since.

Same here - blood pressure problems made my heartburn unbearable. I was taking 100mg of Zantac twice a day (still had to drink Gaviscon and peppermint water by the gallon but it made it bearable). You can actually get a lower dose of Zantac over the counter, although some chemists won't give it to pregnant women, but my consultant and midwife both told me to get hubby to get it for me. I only actually got a prescription when the OTC dose didn't work. I would never recommend medication without doctors advice but I was told quite honestly by my consultant and midwife that there is no issue with the low dose for pregnant women its just as with so many products its not licenced for use when pregnant, but is regularly given by doctors. Perhaps save yourself the cost of visiting the doctor (unless you have an ante natal appointment coming up) and phone them and check if you want to put your mind at rest.

I dunno, id still go and see your doc as the medication could be contraindicated if you have any other medical history or illnesses. I think ranitidine has also been researched in pregnant women and has been shown to cross the placenta. However, I'm don't think (dont quote me) any harm or risk to baby was concluded.

So although an invaluable medication I would take the correct precautions and have it prescribed by your doctor as he/she will know your history and be able to fully inform you of any risk etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Same here - blood pressure problems made my heartburn unbearable.

I didn't realise that blood pressure could cause heartburn, I've been having problems with my bp and have also been suffering with horrific heartburn, maybe one is affecting the other?

I didn't realise that blood pressure could cause heartburn, I've been having problems with my bp and have also been suffering with horrific heartburn, maybe one is affecting the other?

Oh absolutely it does. I had normal shall we say heartburn right up until my blood pressure went haywire and then it became unbearable. Even with Zantac I still needed gallons of Gaviscon and peppermint water and I still had it. I always know when my bp is acting up as I get heartburn an it is a different sensation to the heartburn I ever got when not pregnant. Even now, after having the babies, my bp still isn't back to normal and I know when it's spiking by the heartburn. Without fail when I check it, it's high.

• Advertisement

I dunno, id still go and see your doc as the medication could be contraindicated if you have any other medical history or illnesses. I think ranitidine has also been researched in pregnant women and has been shown to cross the placenta. However, I'm don't think (dont quote me) any harm or risk to baby was concluded.

So although an invaluable medication I would take the correct precautions and have it prescribed by your doctor as he/she will know your history and be able to fully inform you of any risk etc.

All I was suggesting is that you check with your pharmacist and if they are reluctant to giveth phone your doctor rather than use one of your antenatal visits or pay. They might confirm over the phone if they are happy for you to take it and if that's the case just get someone who isn't pregnant to buy it for you. No point in wasting an antenatal visit or paying €50 for something as simple as that if it can be avoided.

Plus any contraindications will be the same even if you are not pregnant, but normally you wouldn't go to the doctor because you have heartburn. Many of the contraindications are the same as Rennie and any other antacid.

All I was suggesting is that you check with your pharmacist and if they are reluctant to giveth phone your doctor rather than use one of your antenatal visits or pay. They might confirm over the phone if they are happy for you to take it and if that's the case just get someone who isn't pregnant to buy it for you. No point in wasting an antenatal visit or paying €50 for something as simple as that if it can be avoided.

Plus any contraindications will be the same even if you are not pregnant, but normally you wouldn't go to the doctor because you have heartburn. Many of the contraindications are the same as Rennie and any other antacid.

I understand what what you are saying. However, we don't know here if the person who wants to take the Zantac has any history if any other conditions or os taking any other medication in which Zantac may possibly be contraindicated in. These are reasons in which the specific (higher) dose is not an OTC medication and is needed to be prescribed.

Most Pharmacists won't go near a pregnant woman with advice on meds anyway unless its for something like paracetamol or gaviscon.

I totally see where you're coming from about the payment and doc visits etc....it's very expensive and also drives me up the wall when they tell me something I already know, don't do anything new and then charge me €60 for the pleasure of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why are you guys paying for GP visits while pregnant? Mine are all free, no matter how many extra I do.

pwurple wrote: »
    Why are you guys paying for GP visits while pregnant? Mine are all free, no matter how many extra I do.

I haven't visited GP for myself since pregnant this time only for my son. But I know last time i was pregant I had to pay my GP once when I had shortness of breath and needed to get a prescription quickly for an inhaler. I would've gone to my consultant but needed an appointment there and then as was going away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some GP's can be nice and do this but my GP sticks to the schedule and anything outside of those visits are charged for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I just assumed all of mine were free and waltzed out without paying after all of them! :/ And I'd have had a few extra GP visits due to issues with blood pressure etc.

Then again I didn't have any GP visits at all in the last few weeks, as the consultant wanted me to come to the hospital every time (again, blood pressure) so I guess that maybe cancels out the extra visits!

January wrote: »
    Some GP's can be nice and do this but my GP sticks to the schedule and anything outside of those visits are charged for.

Cripes, I didn't realise that. Must add GP to the Christmas Bottle-Of-Wine list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Nesting big style at 28 weeks!! I'll be dead by 40 weeks. Just done a huge clear out still more to do plus scrubbing and Hoovering and so on. Think I'll be finding it hard to move for the night now.

About the GP some can be really on the ball about charging. The one I'm with now gave me his mobile and said ring any time day or night and doesn't charge me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Nesting big style at 28 weeks!! I'll be dead by 40 weeks. Just done a huge clear out still more to do plus scrubbing and Hoovering and so on. Think I'll be finding it hard to move for the night now.

About the GP some can be really on the ball about charging. The one I'm with now gave me his mobile and said ring any time day or night and doesn't charge me at all.

I'm the same at 27 weeks and it's even more scary because I really couldn't be bothered with deep cleans any other time... I never nested on my other pregnancies... everything is annoying me this time... I want to pull rooms apart and rearrange stuff and all now and himself won't let me because he's afraid I'll damage myself!

Once I put a laptop or PlayStation controller in front of the hubby I'll get away with doing anything. I'm drove mad at home wanting everywhere clean. If he puts something out of place then I growl at him. I'm gettin all this done and then in a month or so painting the whole house and new tiles and carpet and two new beds new sitting room suite and so on. I don't know what's wrong with me at all

Once I put a laptop or PlayStation controller in front of the hubby I'll get away with doing anything. I'm drove mad at home wanting everywhere clean. If he puts something out of place then I growl at him. I'm gettin all this done and then in a month or so painting the whole house and new tiles and carpet and two new beds new sitting room suite and so on. I don't know what's wrong with me at all

How on earth are you doing all this with a young one????

I was balling crying at my husband last weekend coz there was so much clutter in the house (well there wasn't but I was nesting and prob being a bit unreasonable) that I wanted cleared. And have been finding it impossible to do any organising while looking after my fella!

There's nothing more frustrating than wanting to "nest" (I hate that term)... And not being able to! Hence the bad moods and crying....

God I'd love to be painting... We have a houseguest at the moment, who was supposed to be gone by christmas, but their house extension is taking longer than expected. Swears they will be out by the time baby comes, but they are staying in the baby room! I want to paint it, and put the cot in it, and un-vac-pack all those little babygros and vest and put them on shelves in there. *gets twitchy thinking about it*

Think the reason I can do it with my little fella is because I know with two here I won't get anything done. It's nearly like OCD at this point. We moved into this house a year ago right before xmas and I was painting while pregnant with my son looks like I'll be doing it again with this one. Hadn't the chance to do much until now and I only have a couple of months to go before my nesting window closes. Iv cried too at hubby told him we live in a pigs stye. We don't but feels like it sometimes!

On a downside the little guy is teething again and pulling at his ear and wants cuddles non stop. Hard work tryin to keep him comforted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was up on a chair wallpapering the sittingroom when I was 27 weeks :eek: I'm absolutely itching to go mad scrubbing the place but I'm supposed to be taking it easy because of my bp :( I thought I was being good by writing out a list and only doing 1 thing a day on it but when I went into the clinic yesterday morning, first thing the doc asked after taking my bp was 'have you been cleaning like a madwoman?' :o He says that although some women find cleaning therapeutic, it can still raise bp so now all cleaning is out :(:( OH is great and more than willing to help and do whatever I ask but I just know that it won't be done to my standard and that'll drive me twice as mad :o What are we like, eh? :rolleyes:

My old doctor said there's a price for everything. Granted he was talking about my headaches that I should grin and bare because I'm pregnant.

We won't ever win its the way it works. And of course it's only done right if we do it ourselves. Yesterday hubby Hoovered I had to re do it as he Hoover's around things he doesn't move them. It's brutal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Good morning ladies, can I ask if any of you are peeing frequently? I will be fifteen weeks soon and my need to urinate has increased to ridiculous levels! I was up four times last night! I heard this eases off as the second trimester progresses, has anyone got experience of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Yup. I'm up and down to the loo like a yoyo, it's totally normal for me to get up to pee 2 - 4 times every night. As one of my friends with kids said, sure isn't it just practice for the broken sleep when baby arrives! :D

Totally normal Merkin. You're processing waste for growing baby as well as having more blood volume that needs to go through your kidneys for cleaning, so peeing for two!
    It doesn't ease for me in 2nd trimester, and can ramp up again in 3rd if baby position is pressing on bladder.

I suppose that's one way of looking at it! :) Sorry you're suffering too but glad to hear I am not the only one! Shame they don't give "pee miles" instead of air miles, I'd be top of the league for being a frequent pee-er at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi,
    I was peeing a lot from 8-15 weeks. It did ease a bit but last week wk 20 it was back again. Saturday night I was up 5 times to the loo during the night! Seems normal but maybe drink less fluids before going to bed (great advice that i'm not always taking myself :) )

dustie1 wrote: »
    maybe drink less fluids before going to bed (great advice that i'm not always taking myself :) )

Wouldn't do that... you can get all sorts of things in pregnancy from dehydration. Blood pressure problems, odema, leg cramps. Drink loads, not less! Peeing more often is way better than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Sorry, to clarify, I mean drink the recommended amount of fluids during the day and then less as the evening progresses. You wont be dehydrated if you do that

• Advertisement

Totally normal Merkin. You're processing waste for growing baby as well as having more blood volume that needs to go through your kidneys for cleaning, so peeing for two!
    It doesn't ease for me in 2nd trimester, and can ramp up again in 3rd if baby position is pressing on bladder.

Thanks for that pwurple, seems like we're all in the same boat then!!

And thanks also dustie1, I've actually tried drinking less in the evening as I consume a good 2 litres or so during the day but it makes no difference for some reason!

Advertisement