Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh girls, thank you all so much! We have such a lovely bunch of ladies in here, it's such a great place to come when feeling a bit worried or vulnerable isn't it? :)

Thanks so much for the reassurance, it's slightly disconcerting feeling very pregnant and then feeling less so but it seems like it's pretty common! I will take full advantage, thank you! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

cyning you poor mite, that must have given you an awful scare. You seem to be taking the whole thing like a boss, you're a better woman than I would be in that situation!!

Merkin I'm the very same. 16+4 today and aside from acne and (OH JOYSS!!) constipation since day one I'm feeling relatively normal physically. I'd say we'll both start feeling movement very very soon and it won't be long before we're having a hard time sleeping and eating and moving and bending and feeling very sorry for ourselves indeed :D

I think in my case I definitely jinxed myself by bemoaning my lack of symptoms - after 3 or 4 weeks of fairly intense episodes of emotional instability I had a full on breakdown at the weekend. Now whether or not it's just an intense bout of hormones or something that needs to be addressed more seriously remains to be seen. I have a history of depression so it's on the cards, I suppose I'd really hoped I wouldn't succumb again. Anyway, it is what it is and my husband has been an absolute superstar in helping me so I'm very, very lucky. Well just have to wait and see what happens next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Jerrica wrote: »
    I think in my case I definitely jinxed myself by bemoaning my lack of symptoms - after 3 or 4 weeks of fairly intense episodes of emotional instability I had a full on breakdown at the weekend. Now whether or not it's just an intense bout of hormones or something that needs to be addressed more seriously remains to be seen. I have a history of depression so it's on the cards, I suppose I'd really hoped I wouldn't succumb again. Anyway, it is what it is and my husband has been an absolute superstar in helping me so I'm very, very lucky. Well just have to wait and see what happens next.

Aww I'm sorry to hear this, hugs to you. Have you got a midwife or GP you could talk to Jerrica? I'm not saying it is anything that needs to be addressed necessarily but it might be worth just talking to someone about how you are feeling and seeing what they advise. Do you mind me asking what precipitated it? If you are feeling very low or unable to cope then you should definitely talk to someone. Pregnancy is hard, there are so many highs and lows and we're being flooded with hormones which really have an impact on our moods and it can definitely be hard if you have a history of depression or anxiety. Maybe keep a little mood diary for now and then go and have a chat with someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Not so much a moan as a quick question but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it :) I vaguely remember reading somewhere that I need to bring some form of sheet for the crib in the maternity. Is this true? And if so, what size will I need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Not so much a moan as a quick question but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it :) I vaguely remember reading somewhere that I need to bring some form of sheet for the crib in the maternity. Is this true? And if so, what size will I need?

We didn't have to in Holles st. Perhaps in depends what hospital you are attending?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We were told by the Coombe we needed to but we never did. I'd suggest if you do need them to buy a few plain pillow cases because they fit over the 'mattresses' perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I do in mullingar. 4 sheets and 4 cellular blankets. Ive packed 2 moses basket sheets and 1 cot sheet as i cant remember the size of the bassinet in hospital. Ive more ready on standby for OH to bring in if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks ladies :) Think I'll just pack a pillowcase to be safe and OH can bring more in if needs be :)
    Suucee wrote: »
    I do in mullingar. 4 sheets and 4 cellular blankets. Ive packed 2 moses basket sheets and 1 cot sheet as i cant remember the size of the bassinet in hospital. Ive more ready on standby for OH to bring in if needed.

4 sheets that sounds like an awful lot :eek: It's crazy the amount of stuff we're expected to bring with us. I was talking to spanish woman who got an awful fright when she realised how much she needed to pack, she said in Spain, all you need to bring is your own pjs, toiletries and a few babygros for the baby, everything else is provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks ladies :) Think I'll just pack a pillowcase to be safe and OH can bring more in if needs be :)

4 sheets that sounds like an awful lot :eek: It's crazy the amount of stuff we're expected to bring with us. I was talking to spanish woman who got an awful fright when she realised how much she needed to pack, she said in Spain, all you need to bring is your own pjs, toiletries and a few babygros for the baby, everything else is provided.

And what's even better is you're supposed to fit it all in a cabin sized suitcase! In Kerry anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

cyning wrote: »
    And what's even better is you're supposed to fit it all in a cabin sized suitcase! In Kerry anyway ;)

Ballz, I waddled in with a big case and no one was telling me not to bring it!

You need loads of sheets as new babies spend a lot if time puking (or in my sons case explosive poos!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Commence list of things to ask midwife at next appointment that I never in a million years would ever have thought to ask.

Like I'm really going to remember sheets when I'm front-pooping a baby out!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Not in the Rotunda. Never heard of it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Not in the Rotunda. Never heard of it to be honest.

Me neither. I'm really surprised some hospitals are asking parents to bring sheets in.... I think it's a bit OTT TBH... As if there's not enough things to be bringing in.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Commence list of things to ask midwife at next appointment that I never in a million years would ever have thought to ask.

You're supposed to have the sheets packed a few weeks before you have the baby :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Honestly you don't need half the things. Just bring 2 sets of clothes for baby and then leave a few extra bags or piles set out for someone to bring in as you need them and take the soiled ones home. You have crap all room for half the stuff anyway, the lockers are tiny. Without even asking I was given a supply of cotton wool and towels and sheets for the babies. As for 4 sheets and blankets?? :eek: I didn't use half that and I had twins! One or two changes of clothes, vests and bibs, a few hats and mittens, a nice snuggly blanket, a pack of nappies and changing stuff and that's all you need for day one. If you have a normal delivery you might even be going home within 24 hours. If you stay longer get someone to bring bits and bobs as and when you need them.

Oh and stick and few plastic bags in your bag so that you can throw soiled clothes into them for someone to bring home and wash.

I went through 6 baby gro's on night one... pukey mucosey baby...

Wow I must have very cooperative babies then! Even now at almost 7 weeks we've only had about a half dozen incidents of puking/weeing/****ting on themselves. Mine were delivered at half two in the afternoon and didn't need clothes changed til the next day - probably could have not bothered to change them but I wanted to play dress up! The only reason I needed extra clothes brought in is because I underestimated how much difference there in size between different clothes brands. The Tesco tiny baby stuff was grand but the boots and penney's stuff was far too big.

Oh you know what would be good? A small folding changing mat because changing them on the bed can lead to you having a pissy bed until you get the hang of it! I got a grand one in Tesco for about €5 or €6 and got hubby to bring it in on day two.

I'm lucky in that MIL lives right beside Cavan hospital, so I'm going to do a second hospital bag to leave in her's so that it's only 5 mins away if I need to take it with me. I've a full chest of drawers in the birthing room, so plenty of space for the stay!

Seriously nearly died laughing at that!!! The hospital should give you a list with stuff to bring in though :)

• Advertisement

Yea 4 sheets 4 blankets 6 vests 6 babygrows mappies, wipes , cotton wool, surgical spirits , baby towel , baby wash and all my bits. Tbh ive packed less but have loads left ready for OH and we live close to the hospital. Last time i used 2 vests, 2 babygros 1 sheet and 2 blankets. But needed more stuff for me. I was in for 4 days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Its the same in Germany, you just bring your stuff and some closes for the baby and that's it. I am a bit shocked about all what I have to bring and as I still dont know if it will be Cavan or Drogheda even better. Oh and officialy I dont even know that I have to bring anything with me as nobody told me in one of the hospitals. I got a list from Cavan of the internet after reading about it online. Well and Drogheda..... nothing either . I dont even know if I should attend the appointment in Cavan for the epidural. All what they tell me is: oh we will see. If something would happen now I would not know for sure to which hospital I should go. Hate that.
    Have to ask next time some questions as I found out today that mostly if the you have diabetes they intruduse with 38 weeks. It would be good to know.
    Hope everybody is fine during this horrible weather.

I'm lucky in that MIL lives right beside Cavan hospital, so I'm going to do a second hospital bag to leave in her's so that it's only 5 mins away if I need to take it with me. I've a full chest of drawers in the birthing room, so plenty of space for the stay!
    Do they leave you in the birthing room afterwards? Don't know about Cavan but even in the private rooms in the rotunda there is only one narrow wardrobe and one drawer plus the locker. There is a cupboard too. But in the semi private ward it was one tiny drawer and the wardrobe and no bedside locker because there is no space with the bassinets beside the beds.

And I might add, there was a wardrobe but no hangers! Had to get a few brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

Limerick maternity make you bring in everything bar the kitchen sink :p
    Even asked us to bring a small bowl for cleaning the baby as they don't have enough !!! Never said crib sheets though !

Do they leave you in the birthing room afterwards? Don't know about Cavan but even in the private rooms in the rotunda there is only one narrow wardrobe and one drawer plus the locker. There is a cupboard too. But in the semi private ward it was one tiny drawer and the wardrobe and no bedside locker because there is no space with the bassinets beside the beds.

And I might add, there was a wardrobe but no hangers! Had to get a few brought in.

Midwifery led care, I get a full birthing suite to myself, complete with sofa bed, bath, en suite, TV and DVD player and my own bed for partner and me. Room is absolutely huge and as far as I know I get it for two nights and leave on the third day if all goes well. I won't be on a ward!

LH2013 wrote: »
    Limerick maternity make you bring in everything bar the kitchen sink :p
    Even asked us to bring a small bowl for cleaning the baby as they don't have enough !!! Never said crib sheets though !

Ah now a bowl to wash the baby. Might aswell be asking you to bring the kitchen sink

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

People here laughed at my list when I posted it, but most of it stayed at home in a laundry basket in the spare room. I brought a small bag into hospital.

But I was fecking glad that I had that laundry basket full of stuff himself could bring into me because I ended up having an EMCS and 5 day stay rather than the less-than-12-hrs visit I was hoping for.

Sheer genius for suggestions though goes to Caprilicious for the tip of putting baby's first outfit in a sandwich bag - nappy, vaseline, vest, babygro, hat all fitted in lovely. Even in a mad panic en route to theatre he still managed to easily find the Glad ziploc with "BABYS FIRST OUTFIT" written across it.

One valuable tip I'll pass on is if you do have a C-section, stick a maternity towel to the inside front of your knickers for extra cushioning when you are tender there. And try on your post-maternity knickers. My mother got me mine, but they were microfibre and kept rolling down my bump onto my scar. Sent himself into dunnes to get the biggest knickers he could find (as said microfibre ones were all that was in aforementioned spare room laundry basket). He returned with loose boxer shorts. Men's ones. :o He was right in that they would be lovely and comfy but was rightly stumped when I said "err, where do I put the maternity pad?" :pac: Not as bad as one woman on another forum, her husband brought her in her little lacy thongs. After a vaginal birth and stitches. :eek::eek:

Ahhh I've forgotten to pack the bowl!! A small bowl for nappy changes. I really need to repack my hospital bag I know its not right. I've spare stuff left out in case I need it... I'm pretty sure I've no knickers packed either :rolleyes:

Neyite i remember that tip re babys first outfit from April 2012 and have it done for March 2014 too. So handy.
    Mind you OH really struggled getting her dressed. He was terrifed. She was roaring and he couldnt get anything on over the security tag.
    I dont think we'll have that problem this time though. He's a dab hand at it now.
    I remember doing skin to skin with my LO and she pooped al over me. They had to wipe me down put a nappy on her and give her back for more skin to skin.

• Advertisement

Jeepers I really did get off lightly (pardon the pun!) I had a c section, was in for4 days and didn't need half of this stuff with twins! Hospital gave those little cardboard bowls for cleaning baby and cotton wool (had brought cotton wool though), no sheets or blankets needed other than one cellular each. Got away with about 6 baby grows each for the full stay and same for vests. Sent a little bag of my undies and baby clothes home each day for washing. Most of my stuff from my prenatal inpatient stay was sent home the day before I had my section, just kept two pairs of jammies, some undies toiletries and essentials like maternity pads etc.

I was so blessed I didn't even have any real pain with my scar, just a bit tender for a day or two. The nerves are only now starting to repair 7 weeks later and I occasionally get little pinches of pain but nothing unbearable.

I suppose I was due some luck after my prenatal complications and weeks in hospital ! :)

Advertisement