Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Midwifery led care, I get a full birthing suite to myself, complete with sofa bed, bath, en suite, TV and DVD player and my own bed for partner and me. Room is absolutely huge and as far as I know I get it for two nights and leave on the third day if all goes well. I won't be on a ward!

I hate you.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Jeepers I really did get off lightly (pardon the pun!) I had a c section, was in for4 days and didn't need half of this stuff with twins! Hospital gave those little cardboard bowls for cleaning baby and cotton wool (had brought cotton wool though), no sheets or blankets needed other than one cellular each. Got away with about 6 baby grows each for the full stay and same for vests. Sent a little bag of my undies and baby clothes home each day for washing. Most of my stuff from my prenatal inpatient stay was sent home the day before I had my section, just kept two pairs of jammies, some undies toiletries and essentials like maternity pads etc.

I was so blessed I didn't even have any real pain with my scar, just a bit tender for a day or two. The nerves are only now starting to repair 7 weeks later and I occasionally get little pinches of pain but nothing unbearable.

I suppose I was due some luck after my prenatal complications and weeks in hospital ! :)

My scar was fairly painful for weeks - it was way more sore on one end; my PHN told me that that was probably the end with the knot!! I never thought to ask the midwives on the ward for something to help me pull myself up in bed - if I need a section again I'll be bringing a skipping rope to tie to the bed :)
    Even now my scar is sensitive and numb above it. I wonder if it's because it was an emergency rather than a scheduled section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I got lucky when I was in mullingar hospital. I brought plenty but needed very little. Had vaginal birth and home within 24 hours. Didn't have stitches so was lucky there too. Also there was 4 beds in a room and loads of room for what was needed. That said it could be different this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

nikpmup wrote: »
    My scar was fairly painful for weeks - it was way more sore on one end; my PHN told me that that was probably the end with the knot!! I never thought to ask the midwives on the ward for something to help me pull myself up in bed - if I need a section again I'll be bringing a skipping rope to tie to the bed :)
    Even now my scar is sensitive and numb above it. I wonder if it's because it was an emergency rather than a scheduled section?

I had some sort of a 'bead' manner of closing the wound so no actual stitches. It's already starting to fade and not at all bulging or raised. I do have very good healing skin though - one of the few benefits of having psoriatic skin, it repairs itself super quick. The scar isn't as big as I thought it would be either, but as the surgeon pointed out, my bump was huge so when they cut it, it was huge but it shrunk back once the babies were out.

I also insisted on no staples to close the wound - dunno if they would have gone for that if I hadn't insisted but anyone I know that got staples had a very painful wound.

ShaShaBear that sounds fantastic. I don't think even the midwife led care in the rotunda offers that. One of the ladies on my ward was midwife led and out in less than 24 hours but she was on the semi private ward with us. Sounds perfect what you are getting - much more conducive to a good birthing experience. But how does it work in practice? I would imagine it's the same as private patients - you get a private room provided one is available. So can the guarantee you the room? Or if they are at full capacity is there a chance you will be on a ward?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jeepers I really did get off lightly (pardon the pun!) I had a c section, was in for4 days and didn't need half of this stuff with twins! Hospital gave those little cardboard bowls for cleaning baby and cotton wool (had brought cotton wool though), no sheets or blankets needed other than one cellular each. Got away with about 6 baby grows each for the full stay and same for vests. Sent a little bag of my undies and baby clothes home each day for washing. Most of my stuff from my prenatal inpatient stay was sent home the day before I had my section, just kept two pairs of jammies, some undies toiletries and essentials like maternity pads etc.

I was so blessed I didn't even have any real pain with my scar, just a bit tender for a day or two. The nerves are only now starting to repair 7 weeks later and I occasionally get little pinches of pain but nothing unbearable.

I suppose I was due some luck after my prenatal complications and weeks in hospital ! :)

I want to buy the doc who stitched me up a massive box of chocolates as a thank you. Mine was the Bead Stitching, and the scar is perfectly smooth, absolutely tiny and healed perfectly. I'd say he'd be fierce good at embroidery!

A student nurse used my only baby blanket - a finely woven merino pure wool blanket as a burp cloth to mop up colostrum puke when baby was 2 days old. :rolleyes: despite the fact I had about 4 muslins hanging off his bassinet. I couldn't get the stain out fully, you can see it in daylight. :( Those blankets cost nearly €100! and was a special gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had those stitches that dissolve on their own and I've had nothing but trouble with it for the last 5 years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am in so much pain with my ribs. i am not sure whether to cry; lie on the office floor or both.

work are being **** have spent the last 2 week, punching holes and using big staplers. try doing that with 3 dislocated ribs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ShaShaBear that sounds fantastic. I don't think even the midwife led care in the rotunda offers that. One of the ladies on my ward was midwife led and out in less than 24 hours but she was on the semi private ward with us. Sounds perfect what you are getting - much more conducive to a good birthing experience. But how does it work in practice? I would imagine it's the same as private patients - you get a private room provided one is available. So can the guarantee you the room? Or if they are at full capacity is there a chance you will be on a ward?

They only take two bookings per month to ensure that only a max of two people will go into labour within a given month, and usually if someone from a later month goes a little early, the rooms will have been vacated. She said technically I could be moved to a ward after birth if the room was needed, but she said since they've opened its only happened once. There's me and one other woman booked for delivery in July, and the closest to us is another woman not due till mid-august, so I was told if she went as early as me, she wouldn't be seen in the mlu as she would be too premature. If someone goes before me and I come in then they are moved to the private wards and I get the birthing room until I am ready to leave.
    Everything about it seems perfect, obviously I have yet to give birth there, but being able to have as many people as I like in the room with me, being able to wash myself and enjoy relative peace and quiet, soak in the tub and know my partner won't get sent home every night is a relief.

On a side note, and a huge overreaction on my part, just posted my bump picture into my Facebook birth-club and onto my own profile. OH's family live in Cavan and we haven't seen them much so I like to post progress pics and tag him in hit so his family (a lot abroad including his dad) can see. My sister commented on it saying that "it doesn't count if you eat loads and drink coke and stick your belly out". She then proceeded to post a pic of her, my brother and my mother (who is actually obese at 18stone, so you can see how far she went in her "joke") sticking their bellies out, with a note underneath of how "pregnant" they are. Normally I'd laugh, she has an outrageous sense of humour, sometimes way over the line, but she's always been that way. But publicly humiliating me and trying to suggest I'm faking an 18 week bump that's really bloat and then rubbing it in my face for every one to see has really, really upset me.
    She's the sort that if I told her I was upset, she would laugh and probably take it one step further (she's only 18 but old enough to have a bit of cop on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That's so mean!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

On a side note, and a huge overreaction on my part, just posted my bump picture into my Facebook birth-club and onto my own profile. OH's family live in Cavan and we haven't seen them much so I like to post progress pics and tag him in hit so his family (a lot abroad including his dad) can see. My sister commented on it saying that "it doesn't count if you eat loads and drink coke and stick your belly out". She then proceeded to post a pic of her, my brother and my mother (who is actually obese at 18stone, so you can see how far she went in her "joke") sticking their bellies out, with a note underneath of how "pregnant" they are. Normally I'd laugh, she has an outrageous sense of humour, sometimes way over the line, but she's always been that way. But publicly humiliating me and trying to suggest I'm faking an 18 week bump that's really bloat and then rubbing it in my face for every one to see has really, really upset me.
    She's the sort that if I told her I was upset, she would laugh and probably take it one step further (she's only 18 but old enough to have a bit of cop on).

Wow, she sounds delightful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Wow, she sounds delightful :rolleyes:

Gotta say, she's pulled some pretty horrid jokes in the past, which I usually know she only means to be funny, but there was just something so bitter in all of this. My brother is a an asshat anyway and we never get on, but I was very surprised at my mother. She's been a bit of a dampener this whole pregnancy so far, but I thought she'd tell my sister to have a bit more respect for the fact that it's not just my family that can see it.
    She's 18 and clearly lacking in maturity (due to my mother's excellent spoiling the baby skills) but I really thought she'd have a bit more love and respect than to go and totally spoil something I am quite honestly very proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Don't let it get to you- it's probably very difficult for an immature 18 year old to understand what a big deal having a baby is. Tbh, when all of my nieces and nephews were being born through my early 20s, I thought it was great and was excited but really, I didn't have a clue how much it actually means to be pregnant until I got pregnant myself :) It may also be that she's a bit jealous that the spotlight is now on you and you'll be getting all the attention for the next while. However, I wouldn't dismiss your mother's attitude so easily- she should know better. If you go the confrontational route though, you might just be met with a rolling of eyes and a suggestion that you're overreacting. At the end of the day, you have done something amazing by creating life and nobody can make little of that no matter what they do. Screw em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

ShaShaBear wrote: »

People can be so insensitive. I rarely take or post photos of myself but realised that I have very few pics of myself pregnant and this being my last baby a friend took a few, one of which I put up as my profile pic. We don't live in Ireland so a large number of my FB friends haven't seen me this pregnancy (or at full term pregnancy) at all. Most of the comments were positive and encouraging but a couple (notably from childless females) just couldn't get over how huge my belly is and commented to that effect. Fine it's true but you do get sick of hearing it. The same people would be in bits if someone commented that they had put on a few pounds or had bad skin/a bad hair day etc. Somehow a pregnant woman's body is fair game for comment (don't start me on the belly gropers). One friend who is particularly pregnancy and child phobic wouldn't let it go and referred to the baby as a 'monster.' Now it's my fourth baby and I'm pretty relaxed but foetal abnormality is a real concern for most pregnant women and her comment struck me as pretty insensitive. I hope she would have a bit more cop on when dealing with pregnant women who might be a bit more nervous.
    I was talking with a friend who had a very small baby and they had lots of issues with the baby not growing. She found that people constantly commented on how small her bump was which she found probably more upsetting. I know from the experience of having a small (skinny) baby and having a very robust baby that peoples reactions and comments really effect you. A lot of people don't realise that you are fully responsible for your child's growth while in utero and exclusively breastfeeding, and a comment on this is a reflection on your physical ability to mother, whether it's meant that way or not. Add the hormones into the mix and it can be a very emotional thing!

Getting a big dirty auld cold sore :(. Haven't been for dinner in ages... And we've booked one of the nicest restaurants in Dublin this Saturday and managed to get someone to take LO... And whatdoyakno.... I'm going to be going out like a herpes infested whale....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    .... like a herpes infested whale....

I'm sorry but I LOLed :o:D

This really made me laugh this evening ladies, might be a little taster of what we're in for! :)

http://themetapicture.com/why-my-kid-is-crying/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

SPD to the point of burning pain... plus babies head is right down as in i actually feel the head moving around as low as what my son was at 37-38 weeks... 30 weeks is too early and with the amount of BH I'm beginning to think baby may land any day now.. starting to worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Nipple vasospasm.........so so painful. Anyone else suffer during pregnancy rather than it being feeding related?

Getting progressively worse the last few weeks, could be a very long pregnancy if this continues. So far, all my attacks have happened while I'm at home or in the car - not sure how I'll manage if it starts happening in work. Might try breast pads to keep the boobs warm & stop the agonisingly painful nipples touching my bra.

I assume that having it already vastly increases the chances (if not guarantees) that it will happen with feeding too........bugger, bugger, bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ocean I get extremely painful nipples during the middle of my pregnancies: around 20-28 weeks. It was worse last time and it hit again this time once I weaned my little girl. I used breast pads and heaps of lansinoh to help. But aside from the first two weeks of breastfeeding I never had any major problems or pain, and I fed her until she was 15 months and I was 16 weeks pregnant.

I swear I am so over being pregnant. The iron is making me want to puke. I'm timing out tablets and food because some need an empty stomach and more need not to be taken within x hours of each other. Oh and gaviscon "can" interact too so I can't even take that for my heartburn within two hours of the iron I take twice a day or within 4 hours of my eltroxin. Seriously I cannot wait to give birth and have toast and orange juice afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Symptom update..... Ok so along with the sickness, the sore boobs and tiredness and cramps, I've got a heaviness on my chest came on just there before bed, trying to breath deeply but it's not going away.

Anyone experiencing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Head is sore and was throwing up blood this morning again - more than I did in first trimester when doctor said it was due to a cut in my throat, so got a bit of a fright. Whats worse is the morning sickness seems to always occur after having nothing to eat so its just (sorry for tmi) bile and bloody bits.

Lying on sofa now trying not to freak myself out, sick of this pregnancy thing now!

Head is sore and was throwing up blood this morning again - more than I did in first trimester when doctor said it was due to a cut in my throat, so got a bit of a fright. Whats worse is the morning sickness seems to always occur after having nothing to eat so its just (sorry for tmi) bile and bloody bits.

Lying on sofa now trying not to freak myself out, sick of this pregnancy thing now!

Hun of you're throwing up blood you need To go and see your doctor! Is it bright red or more of a brownish colour?

You definitely need to see your doc lilmissprincess.

Was only in with GP yesterday, she's going to think I'm a serious hypochondriac... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I went the doctor because I was throwing up blood and she sent me straight to a&e in case it was a blood clot ... thankfully it wasn't, in my case, but its certainly not something to ignore! Straight to the gp with ya!

Was only in with GP yesterday, she's going to think I'm a serious hypochondriac... :/

She won't :) I thought that on my first pregnancy too.

Off out to A and E to get looked at... Argh!

Good luck, glad you're getting it seen to xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Off out to A and E to get looked at... Argh!

Don't be too worried... It's better to get checked out... Honestly. Hope your feeling better soon x

• Advertisement

Got put on a trace, high blood pressure and pulse a little fast, now waiting around for the doctor... This is taking forever :(

Advertisement