Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Are we not meant to have McDonalds milkshakes? Cr*p had one on Sunday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Are we not meant to have McDonalds milkshakes? Cr*p had one on Sunday...

U'll be fine. But apparently you're meant to stay away from soft serve ice cream. McDs make theirs from soft serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Ah, I'm seriously wanting a milkshake now!

Along the same lines: A recent craving of mine is I really really REALLY want a Rogan Josh with special rice and naan bread from Madhoshi in Sandyford. No other will do! It was my take away treat when I lived in Dublin. Now I'm like 3,000 miles away :mad:

That, and the odd one is white powdered sugared doughnuts. I don't like doughnuts so I don't know where that is coming from. But I do like sugar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Really having to fight the temptation to sit down with a tub of nutella and a spoon...

Jerrica wrote: »
    Really having to fight the temptation to sit down with a tub of nutella and a spoon...

Don't fight the temptation! That's exactly what I'm gonna do tonight being Pancake Tuesday and all! Just about to make the pancake mix. Got Nutella, maple syrup, choc sauce and loadsa lemon and sugar. All welcome! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Well if you're doing it too Sligo... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah, I'm seriously wanting a milkshake now!

Along the same lines: A recent craving of mine is I really really REALLY want a Rogan Josh with special rice and naan bread from Madhoshi in Sandyford. No other will do! It was my take away treat when I lived in Dublin. Now I'm like 3,000 miles away :mad:

That, and the odd one is white powdered sugared doughnuts. I don't like doughnuts so I don't know where that is coming from. But I do like sugar :D

I'm having Rogan Josh tonight but not from that place! I love Rogan Josh :D

Although it'll probably kill me with heartburn I feel it is worth it for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

January wrote: »
    I'm having Rogan Josh tonight but not from that place! I love Rogan Josh :D

Although it'll probably kill me with heartburn I feel it is worth it for a treat.

Enjoy it for me too! The heart burn is a small price to pay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

I'm going to moan cause all of you guys suck going on about your milk shakes and yummy dinners!! Sniff sniff..

I'm fasting for a stupid glucose test for first thing in morning.. I'm not even starvin yet and and I'm hangry (a word hubby uses to describe my grumpiness when I'm hungry).. I've been going around like a five year old with my bottom lip sticking out for past hour cause I want ice cream or yogurt, I have a pulled muscle or something from a stupid leg cramp I got last night in bed and himself was half pissed when I came in for work.. If I had a base ball bat and some China ornaments now I'd have great fun..

Moan moan moan.. Smash smash smash..

Sniffles..

MissFire wrote: »
    I'm going to moan cause all of you guys suck going on about your milk shakes and yummy dinners!! Sniff sniff..

I'm fasting for a stupid glucose test for first thing in morning.. I'm not even starvin yet and and I'm hangry (a word hubby uses to describe my grumpiness when I'm hungry).. I've been going around like a five year old with my bottom lip sticking out for past hour cause I want ice cream or yogurt, I have a pulled muscle or something from a stupid leg cramp I got last night in bed and himself was half pissed when I came in for work.. If I had a base ball bat and some China ornaments now I'd have great fun..

Moan moan moan.. Smash smash smash..

Sniffles..

Do you not just have to fast from midnight for a GTT?

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Do you not just have to fast from midnight for a GTT?

Says 8pm on the sheet of paper nurse gave me.. No flipping water even.. I'll probably vomit when I drink the lucozade in the morning, don't like the stuff normally... Barf

I had mine in the Rotunda a few weeks ago and new rules meant that you have to fast from 8pm the night before and you only get three blood tests (fasting and two after) instead of four now.

Says 8pm on the sheet of paper nurse gave me.. No flipping water even.. I'll probably vomit when I drink the lucozade in the morning, don't like the stuff normally... Barf

O god, gone are the days where it was fast from 12m/n. poor u! U'll have to have a pancake Wednesday so! Lol

I had mine in the Rotunda a few weeks ago and new rules meant that you have to fast from 8pm the night before and you only get three blood tests (fasting and two after) instead of four now.

I've been outa work too long January. Makes me wonder what's in store when I eventually do go back... Yikes.

O god, gone are the days where it was fast from 12m/n. poor u! U'll have to have a pancake Wednesday so! Lol

I'll be having pancakes doused in lemon and sprinkled with castor sugar.. I'll probably even lick the plate if no one is looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm having mine on Thursday. I was told to fast from 10pm, I'm having the em test at 9am in my GP's. Dreading it... Hate lucozade at the best of times!

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm having mine on Thursday. I was told to fast from 10pm, I'm having the em test at 9am in my GP's. Dreading it... Hate lucozade at the best of times!

Can we really not have any water? What about not getting dehydrated and all that?!

Can we really not have any water? What about not getting dehydrated and all that?!

Unfortunately not. Drinking water would dilute the sample and would yield inaccurate results. :(

Having said that tho... I'm really surprised you have to fast with no water from 8pm. Usually a less number of hours of no water would be sufficient I would've thought. Esp if you're pregnant. But these are obviously the new guidelines...

Having said that tho... I'm really surprised you have to fast with no water from 8pm. Usually a less number of hours of no water would be sufficient I would've thought. Esp if you're pregnant. But these are obviously the new guidelines...

No food, water, smoking or chewing gum... Me mouth is like Gandhi's flip flop at this stage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Lurker here... I'm 27 weeks and nobody has mentioned a GTT to me yet - I had an appointment in the hospital on Monday and my next one isn't until 29.5 weeks but I've to go to my gp for the pertussis vaccination next week so should I mention it then? So many seem to be getting it done as standard... or is it only for particular indications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Lurker here... I'm 27 weeks and nobody has mentioned a GTT to me yet - I had an appointment in the hospital on Monday and my next one isn't until 29.5 weeks but I've to go to my gp for the pertussis vaccination next week so should I mention it then? So many seem to be getting it done as standard... or is it only for particular indications?

Not everyone needs it - I will be getting it because my father has Type 2 Diabetes. Though my weight may have necessitated it also I would guess, but she was nice enough not to say it seeing as I already had a clear indication!!!

I have to get it cause I had +2 sugar in my urine test at my booking appointment... (I'm sure it had nothing to do with the huge bar of dairy milk I had night before and bucket of fruit I had before appointment ...ahem... )

Congrats contrary_Mary, I'm 27 weeks today too.. 3 months to go.. Eek

Yep it'd definitely not standard. The only reason I had te GTT on my last pregnancy was because I had glucose in my urine. I haven't had the GTT this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Ah thanks all for the explanations. I just seem to be hearing of more and more getting it done. I don't have any risk factors for it so I'll keep quiet, I could face the fasting as my appetite is rubbish but I'm always parched. My sympathies to all fasting today!

Thanks for the congrats - and congrats to everyone else too. This is a long awaited pregnancy after fertility treatment and miscarriages so I'm delighted to be at this point at last. Unfortunately it's a high-risk pregnancy and I've had a rough time of it especially up to 20 weeks but please God it will all be worth it.

And since this is the moan thread... My main moan is braxton hicks! I've been getting them since 16 weeks and the bigger my uterus gets the bigger they feel. They're not sore as such but uncomfortable. I mention them every time I go to the hospital and the universal message seems to be "it's normal - get on with it". Other than the tiredness and the stress of work that's really all that's getting to me these days, which is great.

Sligo are you a doctor/midwife/nursey type person??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Best of luck with the GTT mine with the Rotunda is the end of this month so let us know how you get on and how much Lucozade you have to drink and if it's cold! I don't really mind Luconzade and I say I'll be so parched at that stage I'd happily drink anything so hopefully it won't be too bad, hate getting my bloods done though as my veins always refuse to play ball!:D

Sligo are you a doctor/midwife/nursey type person??

Haha.... Yep. Have a masters in education aswell so spend a good but of time teaching and co-writing various policies before I got pregnant.

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Best of luck with the GTT mine with the Rotunda is the end of this month so let us know how you get on and how much Lucozade you have to drink and if it's cold! I don't really mind Luconzade and I say I'll be so parched at that stage I'd happily drink anything so hopefully it won't be too bad, hate getting my bloods done though as my veins always refuse to play ball!:D

Three plastic cups of warm lucozade drank.. Uugggh... Apparently I have lovely big vein in my arm.. I'll take that as a compliment lol.. Let the bouncing off the wall commence... Yippee..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have to have it done because I had PCOS which apparently can lead to gestational diabetes. I don't have any history of diabetes in the family. They aren't done as standard, but I suppose as obesity levels and incidents of diabetes increase, they are becoming more common.
    Three plastic cups of warm lucozade drank.. Uugggh... Apparently I have lovely big vein in my arm.. I'll take that as a compliment lol.. Let the bouncing off the wall commence... Yippee..
    Let us know how you get on MissFire and how often they take blood. I was told I would only give blood twice, once before and once two hours after the Lucozade, I thought they took blood more often than that. Hope my GP's nurse is doing it right!

Advertisement