Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

MissFire wrote: »
    I'm going to moan cause all of you guys suck going on about your milk shakes and yummy dinners!! Sniff sniff..

I'm fasting for a stupid glucose test for first thing in morning.. I'm not even starvin yet and and I'm hangry (a word hubby uses to describe my grumpiness when I'm hungry).. I've been going around like a five year old with my bottom lip sticking out for past hour cause I want ice cream or yogurt, I have a pulled muscle or something from a stupid leg cramp I got last night in bed and himself was half pissed when I came in for work.. If I had a base ball bat and some China ornaments now I'd have great fun..

Moan moan moan.. Smash smash smash..

Sniffles..

MissFire 'hangry' is the best word ever, I get that all the time!!! We've been calling it 'hungry crankies' but hangry is much better and describes it to a T. Stealing that one ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Re the gtt I think they plan to standardise it for everyone but like everything else it depends on the hospital. I got it cause I'm over 30... I was allowed to drink water during it too so that's another difference! That's in galway.

My moan of the day is that I'm 28 weeks pregnant and delighted to be here but due to some minor complications I've been advised not to exercise by some midwives. I've asked a few doctors too and they all seem to say it's ok so I'm getting mixed advice but the way I look at it I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I'm worried I won't be fit for labour...and also gaining weight by the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I've been outa work too long January. Makes me wonder what's in store when I eventually do go back... Yikes.

I can't wait to give up work for a while.
    Its been really rough since November (got a new boss who is an ass on a good day) and while the intensity of the stress and situation has abated a great deal and I'm going to move to a different post within the same organisation the politics and carry on is very wearing.
    I love when people say to me "well come September we'll see about xyz...." and I'm thinking
    come September I'll be about ready to finish up for a year so I don't care":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

detoxkid wrote: »
    My moan of the day is that I'm 28 weeks pregnant and delighted to be here but due to some minor complications I've been advised not to exercise by some midwives. I've asked a few doctors too and they all seem to say it's ok so I'm getting mixed advice but the way I look at it I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I'm worried I won't be fit for labour...and also gaining weight by the second.

oh Lordy, conflicting advice is the pits :( Without knowing what the complication is would pregnancy yoga still be suitable? Even doing the breathing exercises it uses? Supposedly the breathing alone can help massively for pain and mood management during labour (but it's my first so I could be all wrong and listening to too much from other people!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Spent a tenner to get into college for a lab that turned into a tutorial where presence wasn't required for C.A.
    I'm stuck here at a PC with two sandwiches and enough money for two more cups of tea and that has to last me until 5pm! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

detoxkid wrote: »
    Was it your GP that gave you the ok to exercise or one of the doctors in the hospital? If it was your GP, then I’d probably go with the midwives advice. I think you know your own body though, maybe something low impact like swimming, yoga or gentle walking would be ok?

I'm sure you'll still be fit for labour so try not to worry if you can't exercise. I agree with Jerrica, even if you practise the yoga breathing, that may help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I can't wait to give up work for a while.
    Its been really rough since November (got a new boss who is an ass on a good day) and while the intensity of the stress and situation has abated a great deal and I'm going to move to a different post within the same organisation the politics and carry on is very wearing.
    I love when people say to me "well come September we'll see about xyz...." and I'm thinking
    come September I'll be about ready to finish up for a year so I don't care":D

Aw penny, it's awful when your boss is an ass! You'll love that year off to spend with your baby :)

I'm lucky in that before I went on my initial maternity (1.5 years ago) I was pretty much my own manager in my own office so I didn't get too much grief.

However, so much has changed in that year and a half and I'm really starting to worry about my career. I'm sure you know yourself, the healthcare organisation is so dynamic and always changing... I feel I'm gonna be at a complete disadvantage when I eventually go back. And with another baby due in a week... It's probably going to be another year before I go back. That's 2.5 years I'll be out of it! Sooo much will have changed. I don't know what i'll be going back to. I worked really hard to get where I was in my career and its mad that taking a few years off to have a family can have such an impact. When I think about it it actually really gets me down. Coz you're kinda thinking... Will I have to start back at the bottom again!

Having said that tho I'm young enough (31). And I wouldnt give up the time I've been able to spend with my LO for all the money etc in the world. Isn't it just a bit(h tho we can't have the best of both worlds!!! I spose I'll just have to suck it up and work my arse off when it's time to get back into it. :(

Aw penny, it's awful when your boss is an ass! You'll love that year off to spend with your baby :)

I'm lucky in that before I went on my initial maternity (1.5 years ago) I was pretty much my own manager in my own office so I didn't get too much grief.

However, so much has changed in that year and a half and I'm really starting to worry about my career. I'm sure you know yourself, the healthcare organisation is so dynamic and always changing... I feel I'm gonna be at a complete disadvantage when I eventually go back. And with another baby due in a week... It's probably going to be another year before I go back. That's 2.5 years I'll be out of it! Sooo much will have changed. I don't know what i'll be going back to. I worked really hard to get where I was in my career and its mad that taking a few years off to have a family can have such an impact. When I think about it it actually really gets me down. Coz you're kinda thinking... Will I have to start back at the bottom again!

Having said that tho I'm young enough (31). And I wouldnt give up the time I've been able to spend with my LO for all the money etc in the world. Isn't it just a bit(h tho we can't have the best of both worlds!!! I spose I'll just have to suck it up and work my arse off when it's time to get back into it. :(

I was my own boss (more or less) too for ages and loved it. I was always at work and put in (more than) my hours so it worked well for everyone and I was left to my own devices. Then I got offered what seemed to be a great opportunity and it could have been but my then boss got a promotion and left. Then the new hateful boss came on board and things went down hill.
    I think he realised that he was behaving very inappropriately and was well out of order and got scared that I'd do something official about it other than just say "no, you can't do that to me and I won't tolerate it" (that was like red rag to a bull for him) and so he wound his neck in big time at the end of January. To be fair he apologised too.
    So that leaves me up in the air as the job I moved to in August under the previous boss just isn't going to work and I've been asked to take on something new that is up my street in terms of interest and experience and skill set and its a challange that I'm up for. However, they seem to be expecting me to write the job spec and do all the donkey work for them (i.e. the management team incl. my boss) which isn't right either.
    With the whole issue of the groups coming about for the hospital network everyone is wondering whats going to happen to them, their job, their speciality, etc.
    The way I look at it is - and this would be the same for you Sligo1, is that you are entitled to maternity leave and have a legal expectation to have a job when you go back. Anyone with an ounce of cop on isn't going to move some one like you or me into an area where we aren't needed or fit and leave something else (and they're all about education, policies, standards, etc thanks to HIQA these days) vacant.
    We should enjoy our time off with our babies and expanding families and park the work stuff for as long as we can.

On a pregnant body related moan for today - the nausea is bad today and my boobs are so sore they hurt even when I walk from my desk to the photocopier.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

OK so back from glucose test.. To summarise.. Went in for 8.30am.. Had first bloods taken, then drank three plastic glasses of warm lucozade (delightful ).. Went out sat in waiting room (watched Ireland Am, dear lord what a pile of muck).. Back in for second bloods at 9.50, then third bloods at 10.50...

Home now and just demolished my breakfast.. Wasn't so bad after all...

• Advertisement

OK so back from glucose test.. To summarise.. Went in for 8.30am.. Had first bloods taken, then drank three plastic glasses of warm lucozade (delightful ).. Went out sat in waiting room (watched Ireland Am, dear lord what a pile of muck).. Back in for second bloods at 9.50, then third bloods at 10.50...

Home now and just demolished my breakfast.. Wasn't so bad after all...

Why can't it be cold? It would be better if it was cold I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It would be delicious if it was cold. I've seriously developed a taste for it through this pregnancy :eek:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It would be delicious if it was cold. I've seriously developed a taste for it through this pregnancy :eek:

Its weird the things you decide you like and can't stand the sight of while pregnant.

I (in my previous life) loved loved loved popcorn. Couldn't get enough of it. Now the very thoughts of it turns my stomach.
    My husband had a pack of crisps yesterday - something fairly inoffensive peppery flavour and the smell from his breath was awful - I had to ask him to go and brush his teeth. My sense of smell has gotten very acute.
    Then yesterday I had that mad hankering for an Eddie Rockets vanilla shake and I hardly like them normally.

I was my own boss (more or less) too for ages and loved it. I was always at work and put in (more than) my hours so it worked well for everyone and I was left to my own devices. Then I got offered what seemed to be a great opportunity and it could have been but my then boss got a promotion and left. Then the new hateful boss came on board and things went down hill.
    I think he realised that he was behaving very inappropriately and was well out of order and got scared that I'd do something official about it other than just say "no, you can't do that to me and I won't tolerate it" (that was like red rag to a bull for him) and so he wound his neck in big time at the end of January. To be fair he apologised too.
    So that leaves me up in the air as the job I moved to in August under the previous boss just isn't going to work and I've been asked to take on something new that is up my street in terms of interest and experience and skill set and its a challange that I'm up for. However, they seem to be expecting me to write the job spec and do all the donkey work for them (i.e. the management team incl. my boss) which isn't right either.
    With the whole issue of the groups coming about for the hospital network everyone is wondering whats going to happen to them, their job, their speciality, etc.
    The way I look at it is - and this would be the same for you Sligo1, is that you are entitled to maternity leave and have a legal expectation to have a job when you go back. Anyone with an ounce of cop on isn't going to move some one like you or me into an area where we aren't needed or fit and leave something else (and they're all about education, policies, standards, etc thanks to HIQA these days) vacant.
    We should enjoy our time off with our babies and expanding families and park the work stuff for as long as we can.

Yea you're right Penny. And I def am enjoying my time with my baby. I spose it's just something that's always gonna be in the back of mind tho. But I am lucky that I def do have a job to go back to as I am permanent.

BTW... That's some work load they have you roped in to do. Bet you can't wait for your mat leave! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I will be in labour this time next week... That is my new thought keeping me going. So crampy and sore. just exhausted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Best of luck Cyning! I take it you are being induced given that you know when you're going to be in labour? That or you're actually Mystic Meg :D

Haha mystic meg I wish I'd have picked the winning lotto numbers for tonight ;)

Ya it was supposed to be this week but wasn't favourable but regardless next tues night getting admitted for induction. Stupid sweeps do nothing for me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aww, best of luck Cyning. Bubba will be here before you know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

I know, freezing cold lucozade might have been nice.. Well it was room temperature, but you know hospitals, so it was warmer and syrupier..

Cyning what's a sweep? I see people mentioning it on here lots and still haven't looked it up.. Duh me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I know, freezing cold lucozade might have been nice.. Well it was room temperature, but you know hospitals, so it was warmer and syrupier..

Cyning what's a sweep? I see people mentioning it on here lots and still haven't looked it up.. Duh me..

It's an internal where they literally 'sweep' their fingers along and around the neck of the cervix to loosen the cells and release the hormones that start off labour. Only works if you are favourable already, so your cervix needs to be already thinning and lengthening.

• Advertisement

It's not exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, and you can decline it you don't have to have one. And not to be recommended at 38+4 unless there's a reason for it :)

For my GTT I had to be fasting for 12 hours, drink 410ml of lucozade and then bloods an hour after finishing drinking it and another hour after that. That's in Kerry: my dads a type 1 diabetic so that's my risk factor :) my fasting bloods were 5.0 and 5.1 is a diagnosis of GD now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

cyning wrote: »
    It's not exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, and you can decline it you don't have to have one. And not to be recommended at 38+4 unless there's a reason for it :)

For my GTT I had to be fasting for 12 hours, drink 410ml of lucozade and then bloods an hour after finishing drinking it and another hour after that. That's in Kerry: my dads a type 1 diabetic so that's my risk factor :) my fasting bloods were 5.0 and 5.1 is a diagnosis of GD now.

Could have sworn my fasting bloods were more than 5.1... my second was 9.something and third was 7.something... going to have to check when I'm back at hospital... I didn't get a phone call so thought I was out of the woods.

They've changed in the last year: I was definitely over 5 in my 1st pregnancy. Every time I go in they remark on how close I was to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Sick of getting Braxton hicks. I want full on labour pains. Im totally ready to have this baby. Even shaved my legs this morning ( that was difficult). Bags are ready, house is ready. I want this baba out.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I have a cold! :mad: Again! Third one since December. Not happy.

Omg... So I think I've got hand foot and mouth disease! My LO got a viral infection last week which thankfully is now clearing. And he had a horrible rash. Last night I started coming down with a sore throat and today my hands are covered in blistering sores.

Had an appointment today with my consultant who did a throat swab as she wants to rule out Strep A. But after a bit of researching and talking to friends this evening I'm nearly 99% sure that viral infection my LO had was hand foot and mouth... Which I have now contracted!

OMG it's horrible. This is all I bloody needed. The last few weeks its just been one thing after the next! I can't sleep. My hand and feet are destroyed and my throat is getting worse. I've kept my little fella inside the last month and he's still getting sick and I'm catching EVERYTHING off him.

I really really really really feel like crying. I'm due my baby in about a week and this is just miserable.

Omg... So I think I've got hand foot and mouth disease! My LO got a viral infection last week which thankfully is now clearing. And he had a horrible rash. Last night I started coming down with a sore throat and today my hands are covered in blistering sores.

Had an appointment today with my consultant who did a throat swab as she wants to rule out Strep A. But after a bit of researching and talking to friends this evening I'm nearly 99% sure that viral infection my LO had was hand foot and mouth... Which I have now contracted!

OMG it's horrible. This is all I bloody needed. The last few weeks its just been one thing after the next! I can't sleep. My hand and feet are destroyed and my throat is getting worse. I've kept my little fella inside the last month and he's still getting sick and I'm catching EVERYTHING off him.

I really really really really feel like crying. I'm due my baby in about a week and this is just miserable.

That sounds awful Sligo1! You poor thing.

What the hell is hand foot and mouth? Sounds like something cows get? hope it goes away and stays away from you and your little fella.

aaliasmith wrote: »
    I just read in the heath news that according to the new research, breastfeeding may not actually be more beneficial than bottle feeding, and the emphasis on breastfeeding is just be an exaggeration. I wonder how could it be possible when all we are aware of the fact that breastfeeding for the first 6 months is neccessary for the baby.

Ah, I would take the article with a pinch of salt, tbh. What it seems to say, to me, is that for a baby's health there are a lot of factors that can contribute like mother's socioeconomic background so just focusing child policies on breasfeeding as the cure for all childhood problems isnt enough. That makes sense to me. They mention things like better access to daycare. I assume its an American article from the phrasing, maternity leave isnt legally recognised here, you can get nothing, and daycare is astronomical so I can see why. I can't see a link to the original study, so can't say for sure what they did or found. Im interested to read it now.

That sounds awful Sligo1! You poor thing.

What the hell is hand foot and mouth? Sounds like something cows get? hope it goes away and stays away from you and your little fella.

It's a viral infection that's very contagious in babies and toddlers. Adults can get it aswell but its not usually as contagious in adults and is usually a lot milder. It's not related at all the animal foot and mouth thank god. But as its viral there's not really much you can do about it and no treatment really bar temperature control with paracetamol.

I'm killed with it now. Been awake since 1am. Probably affects pregnant women more of say because our immune system wouldn't be as good during pregnancy. Gonna ring my consultant tomorrow. I really hope it goes before I go into labour coz new baby could get it....

• Advertisement

It's a viral infection that's very contagious in babies and toddlers. Adults can get it aswell but its not usually as contagious in adults and is usually a lot milder. It's not related at all the animal foot and mouth thank god. But as its viral there's not really much you can do about it and no treatment really bar temperature control with paracetamol.

I'm killed with it now. Been awake since 1am. Probably affects pregnant women more of say because our immune system wouldn't be as good during pregnancy. Gonna ring my consultant tomorrow. I really hope it goes before I go into labour coz new baby could get it....

Ah it sounds nasty. Good luck with getting rid of it!

Advertisement