Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

aaliasmith wrote: »
    I just read in the heath news that according to the new research, breastfeeding may not actually be more beneficial than bottle feeding, and the emphasis on breastfeeding is just be an exaggeration. I wonder how could it be possible when all we are aware of the fact that breastfeeding for the first 6 months is neccessary for the baby.

It's not a fact that breastfeeding is 'necessary' for the baby. While beneficial, it is not necessary. It is down to personal choice and for some women breastfeeding isn't possible.

Sligo, you sound really miserable you poor thing. I hope you get it sorted soon, sounds like you've enough to contend with right now! If it's any consolation, my nephew contracted the same at creche and it cleared up very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    It's not a fact that breastfeeding is 'necessary' for the baby. While beneficial, it is not necessary. It is down to personal choice and for some women breastfeeding isn't possible.

Sligo, you sound really miserable you poor thing. I hope you get it sorted soon, sounds like you've enough to contend with right now! If it's any consolation, my nephew contracted the same at creche and it cleared up very quickly.

Thanks Hun. My fella had it for about a week. I got it yesterday so will prob have it for at least a few days. I'm finding it awful sore... And I wouldn't have a low pain threshold. Prob the lack of sleep and everything aswell...

God it's all you need :( Hope it clears up soon for you and that you're able to get some rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Sligo you poor mite, that sounds like some dose :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Why would you tell the woman with already high blood pressure at 35 weeks what weight she is, aka how much she's piled on? :(

• Advertisement

Just read up on where I have to go in the hospital for my 20-week scan later today and NHS policy is that one has to have a FULL bladder when presenting for the ultrasound. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Oh the bladder thing wrecks my head, even before I was pregnant I had to get a couple of scans for cysts and sometimes I couldn't hold it long enough and had woman give out loads to me, it was so embarassing!:(

All I'll say is for any scan in Rotunda I drink beforehand and sip once I'm in the waiting room but I also go to the toilet before I leave the house so honestly if you feel you need to go badly, just go but continue to sip water and your bladder will fill quickly. I've found no one has commented on my bladder at all so I've never had to have it as full as with normal scans, best of luck!

My moan today is heartburn which is starting to rear it's ugly head and my pelvic pain which is starting to make snuggles like a military operation to get comfy:( Thank god for hugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Still pregnant. Still feel like crap. Still have a teething toddler. Still have cramps. Still here moaning ;) don't know why I keep hoping I'll go myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

So angry.

So I've been in and out of hospital like a yoyo due to my blood pressure for the last few weeks. On Monday, it hit 163/100 and they kept me in, and I had to beg to be allowed home on Tuesday when everything had calmed down because they felt they needed me to stay for more constant monitoring. On Monday they used the line "We are going to have to see if we can hold off until 37 weeks or not to get baby out". I was allowed home on the remit of taking it easy and if I had any small symptoms to be straight back in, as well as back in at 8am this morning for clinic. I agreed.

This morning I head in, BP is up, 147/99 and 138/94 and trace protein found, midwife sends me to doctor. Doctor doesn't look at my file. Doctor starts off with "So everything has been going perfectly fine, yes". I ask about potential contraindications with medication I'm on, and he asks me "Oh, have you had high blood pressure?". He glances at chart. Then says everything looks fine, and says "Three weeks should be plenty of time for you to come back in, you've had a bit of an erratic schedule with us". I mentioned the level of monitoring and how they'd mentioned upping the dose of meds if bp kept up, and he asked "Oh, were you kept in? Just one night yeah?". I've asked him a few questions in the meantime about medication and about things midwife said, which just got an "I don't know" and change of subject.

I felt rushed out of there and now extremely confused as to why everyone else seemed so concerned and he didn't give a crap. I'm thrilled to not have to stay in hospital, but would rather it be on the grounds of being perfectly healthy rather than doctor not looking in chart. I just feel like he didn't care, and wanted me out of there as fast as possible.

That sounds awful and really inconsistent, you mind me asking what hospital you're in? To be honest I'd ring again and ask to see another doctor his interest and advice seems non existent and you want to feel happy that you're being monitored each week? I'd definitely push to be seen again and maybe go to your regular gp for bp monitoring each week if you can, I don't think saying come back in three weeks is good advice at all! Very sorry you were rushed out of there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

So angry.

So I've been in and out of hospital like a yoyo due to my blood pressure for the last few weeks. On Monday, it hit 163/100 and they kept me in, and I had to beg to be allowed home on Tuesday when everything had calmed down because they felt they needed me to stay for more constant monitoring. On Monday they used the line "We are going to have to see if we can hold off until 37 weeks or not to get baby out". I was allowed home on the remit of taking it easy and if I had any small symptoms to be straight back in, as well as back in at 8am this morning for clinic. I agreed.

This morning I head in, BP is up, 147/99 and 138/94 and trace protein found, midwife sends me to doctor. Doctor doesn't look at my file. Doctor starts off with "So everything has been going perfectly fine, yes". I ask about potential contraindications with medication I'm on, and he asks me "Oh, have you had high blood pressure?". He glances at chart. Then says everything looks fine, and says "Three weeks should be plenty of time for you to come back in, you've had a bit of an erratic schedule with us". I mentioned the level of monitoring and how they'd mentioned upping the dose of meds if bp kept up, and he asked "Oh, were you kept in? Just one night yeah?". I've asked him a few questions in the meantime about medication and about things midwife said, which just got an "I don't know" and change of subject.

I felt rushed out of there and now extremely confused as to why everyone else seemed so concerned and he didn't give a crap. I'm thrilled to not have to stay in hospital, but would rather it be on the grounds of being perfectly healthy rather than doctor not looking in chart. I just feel like he didn't care, and wanted me out of there as fast as possible.

That is not fun. Sorry to hear you were messed around like that. Ive no idea about bp. Can you get a second opinion from your gp or someone else medical? Nothing worse than sitting at home worrying cos you're not sure you shouldn't be in hosp.

Merkin wrote: »

Well, I guess it depends on what she means by "necessary". You're right, its not necessary for a normal and healthy baby, formula does that. But sure we are still only finding out what is in breast milk. So while it is great and very very close, formula can't be exactly identical and might be missing some weird thing we dont know about. sure something came out last year that there are sugars in breastmilk that are not for the baby but are to feed the baby's gut bacteria. Isnt that mad? Boob-made probiotic stuff!

I'm sure feeding is a hot topic in general but I havent posted on it before. I would love to breast feed when the time comes but i'm very aware it may not work out with latching/lack of maternity leave/other. IMO everyone does what she feels is right for her babies and we can only do what we can.

Well, I guess it depends on what she means by "necessary". You're right, its not necessary for a normal and healthy baby, formula does that. But sure we are still only finding out what is in breast milk. So while it is great and very very close, formula can't be exactly identical and might be missing some weird thing we dont know about. sure something came out last year that there are sugars in breastmilk that are not for the baby but are to feed the baby's gut bacteria. Isnt that mad? Boob-made probiotic stuff!

I'm sure feeding is a hot topic in general but I havent posted on it before. I would love to breast feed when the time comes but i'm very aware it may not work out with latching/lack of maternity leave/other. IMO everyone does what she feels is right for her babies and we can only do what we can.

Well said this is my first and I really want to try breastfeeding as it only seems to make sense to me that the natural milk I produce for the baby is prob the best thing for him. Saying that if I have problems with it I'll happily switch to bottle feeding, but I'd definitely like to try breastfeeding as my first choice and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So angry.

littlemissprincess, that is totally unacceptable behaviour from the doctor. It’s disgraceful that he would have such a cavalier attitude to raised BP especially when there are traces of protein in your urine. Could you maybe contact one of the midwives and see if you could arrange an appointment for next week? I certainly wouldn’t be happy leaving it three weeks. You must have been bulling coming out of there. I hate it when doctors make you feel like a nuisance and like they just want you out of there. Not good for the already raised blood pressure is it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I only had high BP at the end but I'm putting that down to falling a few days before labour
    However I've had a gut full of doctors been dismissive. My doctor laughed at me at my last appointment because there was a concent form in my file he asked why and I said you'd know your the doctor that's when he laughed and said how would he know.
    When things are stressful enough you don't need extra strife making things worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Can feel a stupid cold sore coming up :(

Posting this here to as could do with some moral support. Had 20-week scan today, the great news is that we're having a little bubba boy! :) It has been a pretty fraught day with mixed emotions however as the poor little unfortunate thing appears to have bilateral clefting of the lip and because the little guy was moving around so much they couldn't get a clear view of him. We have been referred for a second ultrasound on Wednesday morning and if confirmed (I suppose to check the extent of it) we will be meeting the cleft team then. It's been a very upsetting turn of events but on the other hand we are very fortunate that the little chap looks perfect otherwise, spine, nuchal fold and other organs all look good.. Long legs like his Dad and is a week ahead in cranial dimensions etc!

I think I will be advised to have an amnio on Wednesday which frightens me a little. Apparently a cleft is sometimes although very rarely indicative of chromosomal abnormalities so that may need exploring. It's all a bit much to take in but I've been reading voraciously on the topic this evening and it seems the prognosis for those with cleft lips and/or palate is good. That's not to say I haven't shed a few tears today, as has my beloved Mr. Merkin. It's been a tough old day tbh and I'm too wired and agitated for sleep.

Wishing you and your little boy all the best, Merkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wishing you all the best. I'd say you got some shock. My cousin was born with a cleft palette eight years ago (no cleft lip) and had it repaired when she was 3 and apart from speech therapy, which she's now been discharged from she is doing brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh big hugs merkin. That must have been very hard news to get: I hope second scan shows up more for ye x

• Advertisement

Thanks girls, fairly shell shocked tbh. Thanks for positive story January, from reading about it, it does seem very treatable. I think psychologically it's tough knowing baby is going to be born with facial deformity and that the little love is going to have to undergo surgery/multiple surgeries from when the poor little chap is small. It's just a lot to take in. We've an awful lot to count our blessings for too so just need to keep positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was watching temple street yesterday evening and it showed the little guy at 3 months and again at the age of 4 and he looked perfect. They fixed it at 3 months up there and the second was to help his speech. If you have sky anytime you could watch it I think it would help with perspective and releave some fears maybe? Either way all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

I've less than two weeks to go and I've caught foot hand and mouth disease really couldn't of come at a worse time :(

I've less than two weeks to go and I've caught foot hand and mouth disease really couldn't of come at a worse time :(

Omg I have this!!! Isn't it horrible. I caught it 2 days ago and feel rotten! My hands are sooooo sore with it. I'm due in one week and it couldn't have come at a worse time!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Omg I have this!!! Isn't it horrible. I caught it 2 days ago and feel rotten! My hands are sooooo sore with it. I'm due in one week and it couldn't have come at a worse time!

Hopefully it clears up soon for the both of us I can't remember the last time I felt this crap!

Poor Merkin,sending loads of big hugs and positive thoughts. I can't imagine how you and Mr merkin are feeling but please remember there is so much that can be done with cleft lip these days. There are some brilliant Surgeons out there who will do their best for your lovely little boy.

I hope everything else is ok with baby Merkin. You must've got an awful shock. But you know what... He will be a beautiful and happy happy little baby just like every other little baby. Xxx

Very sorry to hear you're worried Merkin but as everyone says, they can do incredible things for cleft lips now. I really hope the next scan eases your minds a little and turns out well, thinking of you

Thanks all for kind words, please say a little prayer if you can xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Oh Merkin, so sorry for you both and little mister!
    On the plus side, that 20 week scan is a miracle in science in that you can both be fully prepared and the chances are that he will be no different than any other kid by the time he gets to school age.

Things like this make me uneasy about not getting a 20 week scan though :( x

• Advertisement

Thanks ShaSha, I just spoke to a friend's partner who is a paediatric nurse and she was very reassuring of the outcome so that helped.

Anomalies are really very rare so if I were you I would try and go for the scan simply to put your mind at ease as the chances of anything being detected are very slim. Why haven't you had one? If you can, I'd definitely go for one.

Advertisement