Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Awww great news Cyning and welcome to your lovely little bundle Sinead, really delighted for you xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Huge congrats!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Huge congrats!!:)

HUGE congrats Cyning!

Moan - migraine today for the first time in about 20 weeks. Absolutely desperate and I have nothing but solpadeine in the house! My mother told me to take one anyway in a very small glass of water but I just cant justify taking the risk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

cyning wrote: »
    I'm not moaning cause I'm not pregnant anymore woohoooooooo :D baby Sinead born this morning weighing a hefty 8lbs 12 ounces :)

Congrats.. Love the name, it's same as mine and Defo the first baby I know to be called that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    HUGE congrats Cyning!

Moan - migraine today for the first time in about 20 weeks. Absolutely desperate and I have nothing but solpadeine in the house! My mother told me to take one anyway in a very small glass of water but I just cant justify taking the risk :(

When the pain is bad enough you can take Solpadine. It's in the third trimester that you're really advised not to as it can potentially cause respiratory difficulties for the baby.
    There are no studies on the use of codiene in pregnancy to say that it's totally banned. My sister was in a crash while pregnant with her 3rd baby and was prescribed codiene based painkillers by her GP as she had broken ribs as a result. The growing baby was making the pain a lot worse and she was getting no sleep or rest at all until she was given those.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was told by my midwife (with a tone of voice that indicated she feels exactly the same way as you) that because abortion is illegal in Ireland, the big men don't see what point there is in letting you find out if there is something wrong with your child.

Apparently 16 weeks to seek help, prepare, save and adjust is not a good enough reason :mad:

I fully suspect that's the reason for their hands-off policy with regard to miscarriage when you try to seek medical advice. They dont want us in our hospitals being all feminist and asking them to do something if we suspect our pregnancy has abnormalities. Because one of the options that we might request is termination for medical reasons.

That they don't want you to present at hospital with a bleed, because if they confirm that the pregnancy is nonviable you might ask them for a D&C. And if there is still a heartbeat, you are technically asking them for a termination for medical reasons. Like Savita. So they deliberately schedule you for a follow up appointment about 8 days or more after the first sign of bleeding, because by that stage, whatever is done, is done.

That's just my experience of one hospital/ 3 miscarriages though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

'We won't be doing any of that hippy s**te...give Rita all the drugs she wants!' - Daithi O Se on his wife's labour from yesterday's Independent.ie

This is less a moan, more a rant. I'm aiming for a natural, drug-free labour and birth if possible. I've read, absorbed, researched and questioned the practices taken as the "norm" for Irish Maternity hospitals. I have complete faith in my hospital, but that doesn't mean I will blindly go with the option of drugs when recommended and I'm confident that the hospital will support my choices. I'm not a hippy, I've just educated myself, and I'm making the choices I feel are best for me as a healthy mother and my healthy baby. I'm on a few groups on facebook where this is doing the rounds and it has the vast majority of women (and the men who are involved) shaking their heads collectively in despair. How supportive of Daithi to be making decisions about what is best for his wife's body.

The meedja just can't resist jumping on a story where the criticism of mothers is involved.

Two excellent responses from Dan Oakes of Neighbourhood Midwives and Tracey Donegan of GentleBirth Ireland.

I think it's completely up to each couple how they deal with labour and it should be no one else's business to be honest!:)

I said to the midwife at the start I was interested in an epidural so I met with the anesthesiologist a few weeks back and he completely recommended it for me which was nice and it's a relief for me but I was going on his opinion and whatever he professionally thought would be best for my labour.

Whether you want to go without or take everything going, I don't think it makes you more or less of a mother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I think it's completely up to each couple how they deal with labour and it should be no one else's business to be honest!:)

Absolutely, different approaches will suit different people, it's the fact that he feels the need to denigrate others' choices that's coming off so badly. Why call the choices people make "hippy sh*t"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Jerrica wrote: »
    'We won't be doing any of that hippy s**te...give Rita all the drugs she wants!' - Daithi O Se on his wife's labour from yesterday's Independent.ie

This is less a moan, more a rant. I'm aiming for a natural, drug-free labour and birth if possible. I've read, absorbed, researched and questioned the practices taken as the "norm" for Irish Maternity hospitals. I have complete faith in my hospital, but that doesn't mean I will blindly go with the option of drugs when recommended and I'm confident that the hospital will support my choices. I'm not a hippy, I've just educated myself, and I'm making the choices I feel are best for me as a healthy mother and my healthy baby. I'm on a few groups on facebook where this is doing the rounds and it has the vast majority of women (and the men who are involved) shaking their heads collectively in despair. How supportive of Daithi to be making decisions about what is best for his wife's body.

The meedja just can't resist jumping on a story where the criticism of mothers is involved.

Two excellent responses from Dan Oakes of Neighbourhood Midwives and Tracey Donegan of GentleBirth Ireland.

I agree. I'm actually all for child birth hurting me as little as it possibly can. I accept that this lovely grand plan is nothing more than a plan. They are always subject to change and I could well end up having a precipitous labour where there won't be a chance for an epidural. I might end up needing an emergency c-section who knows:)
    I might surprise myself too and manage the pain as it comes with something else.
    Thats said my decision (whatever it ends up being and whatever endds up happening) is my decision and my business. What everyone else decides to do is their decision and works for them.

I said to the midwife at the start I was interested in an epidural so I met with the anesthesiologist a few weeks back and he completely recommended it for me which was nice and it's a relief for me but I was going on his opinion and whatever he professionally thought would be best for my labour.

Whether you want to go without or take everything going, I don't think it makes you more or less of a mother!

Exactly. I think one thing we all share in common is a desire to have a healthy happy baby at the far side of our respective labours. Whatever it takes to get there we'll all do however we have to do it.

On a totally different subject now...... can you believe that DOS is only 37:eek: He looks like he is in his 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

That steroid injection is EVIL. Ouch.

Someone tell me the second one is nicer?

He's only 37????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Jerrica wrote: »

My boyfriend had a somewhat similar view - he said all along that I should take every drug going, and couldn't understand why I might want a natural birth!

However he would never be so obnoxious as to refer to natural births as "hippie sh*te". Jesus. It takes some "man" to take it upon themselves to degrade a woman's choice like that.

When the time came for my birth, I will fully admit that I sort of chickened out - the midwives said I needed Oxytocin and I needed an epidural, and I was too scared to refuse. There was meconium in my waters, I was freaked out, I just wanted the baby to be OK, so I let them do whatever they wanted to do. Maybe next time I'd have more confidence in myself and in my own body's ability to do exactly what it's meant to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My boyfriend had a somewhat similar view - he said all along that I should take every drug going, and couldn't understand why I might want a natural birth!

However he would never be so obnoxious as to refer to natural births as "hippie sh*te". Jesus. It takes some "man" to take it upon themselves to degrade a woman's choice like that.

When the time came for my birth, I will fully admit that I sort of chickened out - the midwives said I needed Oxytocin and I needed an epidural, and I was too scared to refuse. There was meconium in my waters, I was freaked out, I just wanted the baby to be OK, so I let them do whatever they wanted to do. Maybe next time I'd have more confidence in myself and in my own body's ability to do exactly what it's meant to do.

^^^^ This - I was all about as little intervention as possible in the antenatal class, in labour I meekly took the oxytocin instead of querying it. Half an hour later, all medical hell broke loose. I'll be better informed and more confident in my choices next time - it's difficult to be assertive in your choices when you've never done it before.
    As for DOS, I always thought he was an opinionated d***, but this takes the cake. I grieve the fact that I couldn't have a natural birth; he calls all the interventions I had to have hippy st1te. Twit. I wonder is his wife happy that he's making her decisions for her?!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

My moan.... Ain't it great Daiti O Si, choices and wishes for HIS pregnancy labour & delivery are respected & facilitated properly by three Irish health services. While mine are only paid lip service & ignored.

SUPPORT REAL CHOICE FOR WOMEN! IMPROVE HOME BIRTH SERVICE PROVISION!

nikpmup wrote: »
    ^^^^ This - I was all about as little intervention as possible in the antenatal class, in labour I meekly took the oxytocin instead of querying it. Half an hour later, all medical hell broke loose. I'll be better informed and more confident in my choices next time - it's difficult to be assertive in your choices when you've never done it before.
    As for DOS, I always thought he was an opinionated d***, but this takes the cake. I grieve the fact that I couldn't have a natural birth; he calls all the interventions I had to have hippy st1te. Twit. I wonder is his wife happy that he's making her decisions for her?!

What's the deal with Oxytocin? Don't really know anything about it or when it's offered to you??

What's the deal with Oxytocin? Don't really know anything about it or when it's offered to you??

It brings on/intensifies contractions. Holles St's policy is to give it if your labour isn't progressing after your waters break (I think after 2 hours)

nikpmup wrote: »
    It brings on/intensifies contractions. Holles St's policy is to give it if your labour isn't progressing after your waters break (I think after 2 hours)

Ok and are people finding it caused more problems then it helped? I have no idea if the Rotunda will try and push this but hopefully not if it's problematic!

Ok and are people finding it caused more problems then it helped? I have no idea if the Rotunda will try and push this but hopefully not if it's problematic!

Well, I'm not a doctor so I don't know. In my case, I was given it as, although I was contracting and my cervix was thinning, it hadn't started to dilate; my waters had broken a few hours earlier. Once I got it, my contractions got way stronger, and there was no gap between them. My contractions were causing babas heart rate to drop, and because there was no recovery between contractions it couldn't come up again, so I had an emergency section under anaesthetic.
    I feel that I would have started to dilate given time, and that getting the oxytocin caused the chain of events that led to a section. As I said though, I'm no doctor, just my personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My advice is, research, research, research. People have different experiences of oxytocin... personally if they even try come near me with it again (and they shouldn't because it shouldn't be used if you've had a previous c section) I'll be telling them in no uncertain terms to just section me instead. I hated the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i will be refusing it in Holles Street.

you are entitled to refuse anything you dont want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

January wrote: »
    My advice is, research, research, research. People have different experiences of oxytocin... personally if they even try come near me with it again (and they shouldn't because it shouldn't be used if you've had a previous c section) I'll be telling them in no uncertain terms to just section me instead. I hated the stuff.
    John Mason wrote: »
    i will be refusing it in Holles Street.

you are entitled to refuse anything you dont want

I had done all my research, and if you'd asked me when I was pregnant, I would have absolutely said that I'd be refusing Oxytocin.

But when the time came, it was different ... I was in labour, I was alone and scared (my boyfriend had gone home to get my bags etc), I knew that the baby was in distress and I only had this one chance to get it right and make the right choices for him, and I didn't have the confidence in myself to go against what the midwives wanted. Despite everything I'd heard about Holles St being very liberal with the stuff! I was just so scared of making the wrong decision, if he'd end up damaged as a result. I knew that, one way or the other, he was on his way and would be along in the next couple of hours. At that point in time, I just didn't care - they could give me the Oxytocin, they could do a section, anything they wanted. Just so long as he arrived safely. I guess I just panicked, and told them to do whatever they wanted to do.

My advice would be not just to prepare yourself, but to have your partner really prepared about what you do and don't want, and really encourage him to stand up for you and what you want when the time comes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my husband has it beaten into his head since i was about 4 months - no Oxytocin, it is in my birth plan.

i know not everything goes to plam but they will need to do the hard sell on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

In my case my waters went but labour did not progress . No contractions nothing. In mullingar they wait 24hrs after waters are gone before starting and then started it.
    I was put on it at 9 am. Contractions statted at 10. By 2pm i got the epi. Had a snooze. Midwife woke me at 5 andvi was 10 cm.
    Epi was working too well so had to be turned down so i could feel when to push. Started pushing at 6pm. After a while babas heart rate started to drop with each contraction and each time it took longer to come back up. Doc
    Examined me and baba was right there about
    To come out the doc mentioned forceps and at that i had baba out in next contraction.
    So my experience was fine tbh. And they did give loads of time after waters going before starting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oxytocin worked well for me in first labour. I went to 3cm, and was not progressjng any further. Was getting utterly exhausted. Epidural followed by oxytocin got things going again. Normal delivery ensued. I feel i would have gotten too tired without it. Would have been forceps or section.

Every labour is different. Every woman is different. I wouldn't rule it out.

Didn't need it second time. Contractions flew along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My moan is dizzy spells there slowly knocking me for 6 making it hard to run after J and bath him get him ready for bed and walk up the stairs with him and so oon. Thank god he goes to sleep by himself no needing me there.

As for the labour that's pending I'm praying I won't have it as intense this time. Mine was without intervention but I had no gap between contractions I went from pain at level 1 straight to 10 had a very quick labour so no time for epi. In a way I was lucky for my first time but the pain up to pushing was awful intense.

It really is whatever happens at the time just roll with it and research what effects certain things have on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Moan moan moan..

I've got razor blades in my lungs.. Sniff.. Woke up yesterday with wheezy lungs and now it progressed into fits of coughing and gasping.. It feckin hurts.. I just wondered was it OK to breathe in Vick's steamed? Or anything like that? It's been that long since I've had anything like this I can't even remember what I usually do, would just like to ease it off a bit. Suppose I keep thinking its affecting baby and also I've peed myself twice already in my coughing bouts and feel like a right eejit..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

MissFire wrote: »
    Moan moan moan..

I've got razor blades in my lungs.. Sniff.. Woke up yesterday with wheezy lungs and now it progressed into fits of coughing and gasping.. It feckin hurts.. I just wondered was it OK to breathe in Vick's steamed? Or anything like that? It's been that long since I've had anything like this I can't even remember what I usually do, would just like to ease it off a bit. Suppose I keep thinking its affecting baby and also I've peed myself twice already in my coughing bouts and feel like a right eejit..

Feel for you MissFire. I got bronchitis and the chemist wouldn't give me as much as a cough bottle. Sent my husband in for Vicks and he was told I'd be better off steaming with a bowl of hot water and a towel. Didn't go to the doctor as normally when I get this it's bacterial so antibiotics won't help. Could have got steroids but I figured of I can't have cough medicine then I'm not taking steroids. So just toughed it out which was not fun :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I put vicks on my feet, put on my socks and ovened myself under the duvet. Also had plenty of locozade, calpol and Halls mints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Did pharmacist not think Vick's in steam would work?!

Also does it actually work on the feet? I've been telling people to do that for months after reading it online but I'm rarely sick so never tried it myself? And, why lucozade?

Going in to work now after three hours sleep (don't usually work Friday's) I'm going to be in barrel of laughs today..

Advertisement