Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Argh Exputex is my go-to when I have a bout of bronchitis and that's exactly what the pharmacist wouldn't sell me! Had I known that I would have bought it anyway. Can't win.

Also really dislike OBEM, I'm so freaked out at being pregnant that the less I know the better...

Pharmacist wouldn't hand it over anyhow.. He went off and googled it to be sure (!) So another night of coughing up razors..

Moan moan moan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm happy I'm healthy, I'm happy my baby is healthy... Things could be a lot worse....

BUT I WANT TO CRY COZ IM STILL PREGNANT!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Husbands :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

he went off to the beer festival yesterday, i was jealous as hell that i wasnt going but grand.

Knew it was going to be a late night, again, no problem. he got in around 4am. he didnt set off the alarm, which was a first. grand.

i went to the bathroom at 5am, he was passed out on the sofa, again, fine, not really my problem. turned off the lights, reset the set the alarm. went back to bed.

at 7am this morning, he stumbled into the room, he was told to get out and go to the spare room. he grunted, stumbled around some more, got in to bed freezing, robbed all the covers, shoved me out of bed and started snoring like a tractor and i am not even going to mention those craft beer farts

i ended up in the spare room, with the really soft mattress, so was up again at 8.30am, cos of back pain.

i am not a happy person right now

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Have had a couple of freaky days. I'm home alone recently as my other half is out of the country this last fortnight. Last night I reheated a bolognese-type dinner that I had defrosting in the fridge. But then just before going to bed, I realised that I had eaten the wrong one. I had defrosted a similar dinner last thursday morning for thursday's dinner, but I got a free dinner in work that day and then was out with friends for dinner the following evenings, so I didn't eat it but kept it in the fridge so it wouldn't stink up the bin. I defrosted another one yesterday, but I picked up the wrong bloody one to reheat last night eek.pngeek.png So at 11pm I was seriously freaking out thinking I'd just given myself food poisoning from manky 5 day old beef eek.png From all the stuff you read about soft cheeses, salads and cured meats, I was convinced I was fcuked. Tried to make myself bring it back up, retching but nothing was happening (morning sickness abandons me in my hour of need). I called an after-hours number for my hospital, they took my number and an OB on-call rang me back after about 15min of more frantic non-puking. She said there wasn't much I could do, it was probably all digested and I wouldn't get anything back up now, recommended drinking water and getting rest and if I developed any symptoms to call her back. Rest?! Not with the state my head was in. I ended up watching netflix till the wee hours to keep my mind off it and to stay awake in case something happened. Woke up this morning feeling quesy with a bit of a headache, nothing serious but when I've had food poisoning before I've got a headache first. Called my OB practise this morning and a midwife was very reassuring, saying that if I hadn't gotten badly sick by now then it was probably not going to happen and I hadn't given myself food poisoning and the bean would also be not affected. I decided to take today off work and try to chill out at home in case anything did actually happen. So I spent the day on the couch watching netflix and nothing happened. Nothing at all. Just regular nausea. Last night I was full sure I had seriously damaged my bean with stupid gone-off food, now I'm just about getting over that thought and I think its ok. Jesus christ, the stress. My other half is flying in tomorrow evening, I haven't told him anything yet as I didn't see the point of stressing him out when he can't do anything. Being over in the states on my own made it a little bit worse too, I didn't want to worry anyone from afar and 11pm here is 3am irish time, if I called anyone at home at that hour I'd scare the crap out of them. Still, all seems to be ok now. I've an appointment next tuesday so I'm trying to put it out of my mind until then. I hope we get a scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Awww you poor girl, no wonder you were freaked out, what a scary thing to happen.The nurse is right though, you would have had the onset of symptoms quite quickly were you to become ill.Also, while five days IS pretty rank, it was sealed and in the fridge so it be a lot slower to come to any harm than were it sitting on the stove.Hope you're ok you poor thing, please try not to worry x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

You poor thing that would have completely freaked me out as well but you obviously have a strong constitution, delighted you were ok!

I'm in with the consultant tonight, want to ask them about my regular feet swelling as my left is always bigger than my right by quite a bit. That can be regular of course but when I got my blood tests done at three months she said my platelets were ever so slightly higher than average (but literally by a couple of points) and higher means you're more lightly to get a blood clot and that can be signalled by one leg more swollen than the other so I'll just ask for peace of mind so I can then go back to ignoring it!:)

Hey merkin & smokey, thanks for your kind replies :) smokey best of luck with your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Have had a couple of freaky days. I'm home alone recently as my other half is out of the country this last fortnight. Last night I reheated a bolognese-type dinner that I had defrosting in the fridge. But then just before going to bed, I realised that I had eaten the wrong one. I had defrosted a similar dinner last thursday morning for thursday's dinner, but I got a free dinner in work that day and then was out with friends for dinner the following evenings, so I didn't eat it but kept it in the fridge so it wouldn't stink up the bin. I defrosted another one yesterday, but I picked up the wrong bloody one to reheat last night :eek::eek: So at 11pm I was seriously freaking out thinking I'd just given myself food poisoning from manky 5 day old beef :eek: From all the stuff you read about soft cheeses, salads and cured meats, I was convinced I was fcuked. Tried to make myself bring it back up, retching but nothing was happening (morning sickness abandons me in my hour of need). I called an after-hours number for my hospital, they took my number and an OB on-call rang me back after about 15min of more frantic non-puking. She said there wasn't much I could do, it was probably all digested and I wouldn't get anything back up now, recommended drinking water and getting rest and if I developed any symptoms to call her back. Rest?! Not with the state my head was in. I ended up watching netflix till the wee hours to keep my mind off it and to stay awake in case something happened. Woke up this morning feeling quesy with a bit of a headache, nothing serious but when I've had food poisoning before I've got a headache first. Called my OB practise this morning and a midwife was very reassuring, saying that if I hadn't gotten badly sick by now then it was probably not going to happen and I hadn't given myself food poisoning and the bean would also be not affected. I decided to take today off work and try to chill out at home in case anything did actually happen. So I spent the day on the couch watching netflix and nothing happened. Nothing at all. Just regular nausea. Last night I was full sure I had seriously damaged my bean with stupid gone-off food, now I'm just about getting over that thought and I think its ok. Jesus christ, the stress. My other half is flying in tomorrow evening, I haven't told him anything yet as I didn't see the point of stressing him out when he can't do anything. Being over in the states on my own made it a little bit worse too, I didn't want to worry anyone from afar and 11pm here is 3am irish time, if I called anyone at home at that hour I'd scare the crap out of them. Still, all seems to be ok now. I've an appointment next tuesday so I'm trying to put it out of my mind until then. I hope we get a scan.
    Oh you poor thing! Sounds like you gave yourself a right scare. I’m sure Bolognese would be perfect after 5 days, I’d be having a sniff and risking it even with the knowledge that it was there 5 days :o:eek::pac: If you defrosted it in the fridge, it probably was more like four days anyway and once it was refrigerated and well sealed it’d be grand. Glad you had no ill effects anyway. It’s awful when things like that happen when you’re home alone, I think your mind starts to run wild and you start to imagine the worst. I think the OH’s are good for calming us manic pregnant ladies down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing! Sounds like you gave yourself a right scare. I’m sure Bolognese would be perfect after 5 days, I’d be having a sniff and risking it even with the knowledge that it was there 5 days :o:eek::pac: If you defrosted it in the fridge, it probably was more like four days anyway and once it was refrigerated and well sealed it’d be grand. Glad you had no ill effects anyway. It’s awful when things like that happen when you’re home alone, I think your mind starts to run wild and you start to imagine the worst. I think the OH’s are good for calming us manic pregnant ladies down!

Yeah pretty much this!

If it tasted fine, I'm sure it was fine.

I'm super-paranoid about food myself, and often throw out food that is probably actually fine. :o But honestly, if I was in your position, I wouldn't be worried ... if it was off, you would have tasted it, you wouldn't have eaten it! You're absolutely fine.

Ah thanks ladies! Ye are right. In the cold light of day now I know I was just totally freaking myself out but the possibility did scare me at the time. My taste has gone nuts lately so everything tastes weird anyway, if it was a little bit off I'd find it hard to tell. Can't wait for himself to get in this evening for a hug :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

I'm booked for a c section this morning and now nervous as hell...even though it's the third time it still dosent make it any easier!!
    On the plus side I get to meet my little lady today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yeah I was thinking I'm weird for been more anxious this time been I didn't know what to expect first time. Think the term ignorance is bliss.
    Good luck for today wish I was due but 4 weeks left

I sneezed with such force during the night that I actually thought the baby was going to come flying out with it! :eek: Then had a severe pain in my side afterwards that only lasted for a minute or two but I honestly thought I'd dislodged something. Happen to anyone else? I'm sure it's connected to stretching ligaments or something.

I get random pains like that sometimes after using the toilet and different things, think it's just our bodies being moany! Sometimes I lie or sit down a certain way and get a sharp pain, think our insides are just protesting so I wouldn't worry!:)

No call from midwife yesterday about my blood results which is a good thing as should mean there wasn't anything worth mentioning!

I'm on mum2be and one of the other June girls got her diabetes results back and has it so now I'm a bit worried for next Weds!

Me too, I often get a sharp pain turning in bed or what have you and I looked it up and it's to do with ligaments. I've become quite good at not worrying about the various twinges as one would drive oneself demented otherwise!

No news is good news re the blood results, if you're anxious you should maybe give her a call before the weekend to put your mind at ease?

Merkin wrote: »
    Me too, I often get a sharp pain turning in bed or what have you and I looked it up and it's to do with ligaments. I've become quite good at not worrying about the various twinges as one would drive oneself demented otherwise!

No news is good news re the blood results, if you're anxious you should maybe give her a call before the weekend to put your mind at ease?

She said they'd only ring if there was something worth talking about so no news is good news!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't worry about the gestational diabetes, if you do have it, it is very easily managed with diet mostly. You'll be very well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

So I finally decided to swap my high heels at work for a pair of flat shoes. Bought a gorgeous pair (well ok two pairs, one in black and the other in petrol blue) last night in Dundrum.
    Sensible lady that I am I wore the new shoes to work today. Was heading to the shop to but a tea and I slipped and fell.:eek: I've worn high heels every day for years and this has never happened.
    Thankfully I fell slowly to the ground and didn't hit it hard, managed to fold one leg underneath myself and landed on it rather than slap bang on the ground and didn't hurt myself.
    Now every little twinge is freaking me out. :( I've been having a fair few the last couple of days anyway and I think the baby is going through some kind of growth spurt as I've been absolutley exhausted all week, felt very very nauseated yesterday and had a fair amount of twinges and stretching in my abdomen anyway. .........but still you can't help worrying can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Penny I've had twinges and aches and strains from the middle of the first trimester. My husband says he always knows where I am just by listening to where the moans and groans are coming from :D The horrible thing is when you're early in the pregnancy you don't have much by way of reassurance and for me I didn't really stop worrying constantly until after my bump had gotten bigger and I could start feeling our little lady doing a jig in my belly all day every day. But those pains are so so normal, I spoke to a midwife friend of mine and she said that this kind of worry is absolutely to be expected, but know that everything is going fine and the only time you really need to be concerned is if the pain is accompanied by serious bleeding, diarrhoea or a fever. No one warns you about the extent of the worrying you do when you're pregnant though, it's really tough going :)

Oh and if it's any consolation I fall over ALL THE TIME now. My balance is completely shot. I have to sit down to do anything requiring even a tiny bit of balance :o

My nights of sleeping well are starting to come to an end I fear. Lulu just loves to do acrobatics right down at the bottom of my belly near my pelvis and it gets really uncomfortable! My skin is starting to stretch out an awful lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Jerrica wrote: »
    Penny I've had twinges and aches and strains from the middle of the first trimester. My husband says he always knows where I am just by listening to where the moans and groans are coming from :D The horrible thing is when you're early in the pregnancy you don't have much by way of reassurance and for me I didn't really stop worrying constantly until after my bump had gotten bigger and I could start feeling our little lady doing a jig in my belly all day every day. But those pains are so so normal, I spoke to a midwife friend of mine and she said that this kind of worry is absolutely to be expected, but know that everything is going fine and the only time you really need to be concerned is if the pain is accompanied by serious bleeding, diarrhoea or a fever. No one warns you about the extent of the worrying you do when you're pregnant though, it's really tough going :)

Oh and if it's any consolation I fall over ALL THE TIME now. My balance is completely shot. I have to sit down to do anything requiring even a tiny bit of balance :o

My nights of sleeping well are starting to come to an end I fear. Lulu just loves to do acrobatics right down at the bottom of my belly near my pelvis and it gets really uncomfortable! My skin is starting to stretch out an awful lot too.

Thanks for the reply. Also for the admission about falling over so much. This is the third time I've almost/actually fallen. The last time was almost down the stairs in my sisters house:eek: Thankfully I managed to save myself somehow and just bruised my arm. I've gotten so so clumsy of late its astonishing. :o

I felt shocking yesteday and was home quite late as was my husband. I'd taken dinners I'd made a while back out of the freezer to eat but the very thought of eating made me heave. I had to leave the room as he was eating his dinner because the smell of it was just too much for me. :(
    I went to bed at 9:30pm and thankfully slept the whole way through to 06:30 today. Its the first full nights sleep I've had in the longest time.
    Still contemplating a nap now though but am at work!
    I've no bleeding or anything other than wounded pride. My scan is in 10 days time and I'm dying for it. I really want to see this little being that has managed to turn my life upside down (literally sometimes) already, to see that its ok in so far as you can at that stage (I'll be 12+6 when I ahve the scan) and to be able to tell my family and friends because its getting harder and harder to keep it quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

My scan is in 10 days time and I'm dying for it. I really want to see this little being that has managed to turn my life upside down (literally sometimes) already, to see that its ok in so far as you can at that stage (I'll be 12+6 when I ahve the scan) and to be able to tell my family and friends because its getting harder and harder to keep it quiet.
    The 12 week scan is such a milestone, you'll enjoy every second of it, and be sure to tell us all about it too :)

Also, have that nap if it's at all feasible. Dooooo iiiitttt!!! :pac: (I'm a little jealous of your glorious full night of sleep though...)

Jerrica is right Penny. I'm a laid back and relaxed person, not someone who worries unduly, but nothing prepared me for pregnancy and its aches and pains and twinges and our tendency to worry about these! I had spotting at six and nine weeks as well which really exacerbated that! All the odd little sensations and aches and pains are normal and go with the territory however. It's when you bleed or have cramping etc that you should phone your doctor or midwife.

All I will say is that, the anxiety does ease somewhat after the first trimester, and, when you feel your baby start to move and feel their delightful little rolls and kicks, it is hugely comforting (and great fun!).

I bought a little home Doppler and I can't recommend it enough. I don't use it all that much but if I feel baby is a little quieter than normal, Mr. Merkin rubs it over my tummy and we listen to bubba together. We did this yesterday in fact and it was great fun because the little chap has such a strong heartbeat and we could feel him and hear him move around a lot too. :)

How you are feeling is perfectly normal but try not to worry. I'd also say you have nothing to worry about after your tumble but I also wouldn't hesitate to phone someone if are really worried and just want to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We can see baby Abigail kicking from the outside now :)
    I had told my partner I could see it (considering I know where she's kicked it's easier for me to see) about a week ago.

Last night he let out a loud "Holy sheet!". Sitting 5 feet away from me, and I had a tshirt on, and he could still see my whole tummy ripple from when she kicked!
    He sleeps every night with his hand on my belly, she kicks it until she gets tired, and then I get some sleep too :o

Moan is this horrific pain in my leg. Doctor says it's normal, midwife says it's normal (although she showed more interest in it and did say to keep an eye on it). I assume it's sciatic pain - my left thigh has been numb 75% of every day since about 15 weeks (now almost at 25!) but if I stand for more than about 20mins I get horrid stabbing, white-hot pains that can shoot down as far as my knee. Only ever the left side, nowhere else. If I walk through the pain, it goes quickly. But as soon as I stop walking and stand, it will start again. Makes pretty much everything difficult, and has really affected my attendance at college. Hard to stand in a three-hour lab or walk 20 minutes to and from the bus stop :o

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We can see baby Abigail kicking from the outside now :)
    I had told my partner I could see it (considering I know where she's kicked it's easier for me to see) about a week ago.

Last night he let out a loud "Holy sheet!". Sitting 5 feet away from me, and I had a tshirt on, and he could still see my whole tummy ripple from when she kicked!
    He sleeps every night with his hand on my belly, she kicks it until she gets tired, and then I get some sleep too :o

Moan is this horrific pain in my leg. Doctor says it's normal, midwife says it's normal (although she showed more interest in it and did say to keep an eye on it). I assume it's sciatic pain - my left thigh has been numb 75% of every day since about 15 weeks (now almost at 25!) but if I stand for more than about 20mins I get horrid stabbing, white-hot pains that can shoot down as far as my knee. Only ever the left side, nowhere else. If I walk through the pain, it goes quickly. But as soon as I stop walking and stand, it will start again. Makes pretty much everything difficult, and has really affected my attendance at college. Hard to stand in a three-hour lab or walk 20 minutes to and from the bus stop :o

Hi Shashabear, if I were you I would find someone qualified in pregnancy and sports massage and ask them to see if there is an issue with your IT Bands. If it hasn't been diagnosed as a neurological condition and is in fact a muscular issue then this issue can be relieved. Either way massage is great for you and the baba x

Hi Shashabear, if I were you I would find someone qualified in pregnancy and sports massage and ask them to see if there is an issue with your IT Bands. If it hasn't been diagnosed as a neurological condition and is in fact a muscular issue then this issue can be relieved. Either way massage is great for you and the baba x

Partner has suggested getting a proper massage just for me regardless of the pain, but I was advised when I looked into it that it sounded very like pressure on the sciatic nerve, and that nothing could be done about it if Baby is lying on it!
    Might book one anyway when I get finished in college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Physio can help with sciatica Shashabear :)

nikpmup wrote: »
    Physio can help with sciatica Shashabear :)

Midwife suggested that she would refer me if it got worse (it hasn't actually gotten worse, just I find I need to be on my feet more recently, so it's happening more often).
    But I can't go for physio until college is over - I'm in there 5 days a week, and I can't take off for appointments (used up my two sick days on MW appointments already) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

ShaShaBear I'm also suffering from sciatica - physio can certainly help and if it is going to be a while before you can get an appointment in the hospital I would consider going to an independent one some evening if you could at all. It's not worth suffering like that.

I have been managing mine with heat and gentle exercise - I'm sitting in work all day which KILLS it so I put a hot water bottle on it a couple of times a day (not boiling hot, just in case) and go for a 15 minute walk at lunchtime which gets the whole area moving. Then I take another 20-30 minute walk after work. Now it still hurts all day in work and wakes me at night but I've been finding the pain more manageable. I also massage the area gently with a tennis ball in the evenings. Standing, sitting or lying in one position is the killer so I try to keep on the move without overdoing it.

I got this advice from a physio I know but I think I will probably bite the bullet in the next week and pay her a visit as I was up from 2am- 5am last night with the burning pain and numbness. I was busy yesterday but probably did less walking so maybe that was why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

+1 on the physio for sciatic pain. I had it very badly when I was training for a marathon and my physio was a great help. It could also be your glute muscle which causes similar symptoms. My physio works til 7 three days a week so I was always able to see him after work. I also agree with the tennis ball massage, that really helps, I even found sitting on the tennis ball so it jammed into the muscle a great help.

• Advertisement

Luckily I've not had any major problems with it when sitting, or else I'd be in a whole world of pain!
    I'll have to look into physio, I can't really afford to go to a private independant one, hence me waiting until college is finished to get referred! But I'll try heat, and have been looking into some pregnancy yoga to help keep things stretched out and relaxed to see if it helps!

Advertisement