Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Oh great thanks! That would be great!
    I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to these things, but I think if you PM me a link to your FB profile, I can add you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I'm in a group on Facebook for mums due in June. Its mostly Americans, I think I'll have to leave! They have my feckin nerves gone! If anything was out of the ordinary with me such as pains bleeding /possible waters leaking etc I'd be straight in to hospital, instead they post on Facebook!
    One lady just posted that she's having severe pains that are so severe they make her dizzy, and wondering if she should call her doctor or wait till her appointment next Thursday!!
    Feckin crazy yanks! :O

Tell me about it! I was so delighted to find these boards threads, it's like an oasis of sanity and craic in the crazy pregnancy-internet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to these things, but I think if you PM me a link to your FB profile, I can add you then.

Ok I'll try haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

College is really starting to take its toll on me!
    All I want to do is spend time at home relaxing - not so much not doing anything, but just doing things that I find more relaxing. I took up crochet and find I'm really enjoying it, and considered attempting to sell some of my stuff, but I have so many college projects to do that I never have the time to get any of my crochet or knitting work finished! All my TV shows have gone by the wayside! I'm a big online gamer too - that's pretty much out the window now as well!

Just this week and next week and I'm off for a month for Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I "get" the weight moan, even though I wish i didn't...

I lost weight in the first trimester (and was already a slim build to start) but have been gaining consistently (and in line with recommendations - around 1lb a week) since around 14 weeks. I was probably over 20 weeks before I showed, and when my Mam first saw the beginnings of the bump she was all delighted. However since then she's been getting to me - it's all about "don't put too much on now - it'll be hard to lose it" etc. I feel so self-conscious around her. I haven't told her how much I've gained; she told me early on that a stone would probably be enough for me to gain (even though medical advice is to gain 25-35lb if you're of normal weight). Needless to say I'm trying to ignore her!

She thinks I'm huge when I'm actually fairly average for my gestation (maybe even small to average) and I don't seem to have gained much apart from the bump. At the weekend I was over visiting for mothers day and my siblings were there and they said "wow" when they saw the bump (in fairness I haven't seen them in a few weeks) and Mam said "I know - she's big!!!" and started roaring laughing. It's horrible. I know they weren't trying to be mean but I feel like the bump is the first thing everyone sees these days and i used to feel quite "invisible" which is how I like it - I like to fade into the background! I find I'm trying to cover the bump when I'm around other people. I love my yoga class because I can completely relax and let it all hang out - it's great!

At the end of the day the most important thing is that I gain healthily and that some of this will transfer to the baby (who is measuring a little small at the moment - maybe it's a family thing!)

I feel your pain contrary_mary. I've struggled with my weight since my teens and finally got to a place I was reasonably happy with before I got pregnant. I also had a very critical mother who kept pointing out that half stone I needed to lose. I'm 15 weeks tomorrow and have already put on weight and my brain is screaming at me no no no! But I will not put the baby at risk so trying to deal with it. You need to pull your mother aside as she may be oblivious to the damage her comments are doing. Also point out that actual medical professionals, not someone's mother, have pointed out that you should gain 2 stone min. Unless she wants to encourage the restriction of her unborn grandchild's growth, the subject of your weight should be off limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I feel your pain contrary_mary. I've struggled with my weight since my teens and finally got to a place I was reasonably happy with before I got pregnant. I also had a very critical mother who kept pointing out that half stone I needed to lose. I'm 15 weeks tomorrow and have already put on weight and my brain is screaming at me no no no! But I will not put the baby at risk so trying to deal with it. You need to pull your mother aside as she may be oblivious to the damage her comments are doing. Also point out that actual medical professionals, not someone's mother, have pointed out that you should gain 2 stone min. Unless she wants to encourage the restriction of her unborn grandchild's growth, the subject of your weight should be off limits.

This is very unfair to you girls, you shouldn't have to worry about weight on top of everything! I was overweight when I fell pregnant and master of Rotunda and midwife encouraged me to get fit so I'm 6 months now and 18lbs down on my pre-pregnancy weight and feel great and baby is doing fab but that's on the advice I was given and it's each to their own. No one has the right to make you feel bad about your body, it's an incredible machine and what it's actually doing in pregnancy is truly incredible, I appreciate my body more than I ever did now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The period like cramps are starting but could be a week before labour kicks off. I wish it was all over with. I've had loads of Braxton Hicks all the way through but last few days my backs been killing me kinda across the top of my butt and hips so uncomfortable when I need to drive and that

Oh contrarymary and furbabymomma, I feel so bad for you reading your posts. Your mothers behaviour is very hurtful, they probably don’t mean anything by it, but as mothers themselves, they should know that pregnancy is a difficult and emotional time and a time of incredible change. Some days it can be a struggle to deal with your changing body shape and the last thing you need is people telling you you’re ‘huge’ or ‘tiny’ or commenting on your weight gain or lack off. Every woman is different and will put on different amounts of weight. Once your doctor is happy with your weight, then that’s the only thing that matters. If it were me, the next time your mum says it, I would tell her that you find it a bit hurtful and you’d prefer if she didn’t comment on your weight. It always baffles me how people think they can say whatever they want to you, just because you’re pregnant. They wouldn’t dream of going up to a fat person and saying ‘you’re huge!’

I know myself I am putting on too much weight, I have 31 lbs put on at 31 weeks and I know it’s too much. My issue is that I have just relaxed too much and have been eating whatever I want! I’m not overly worried though, I have been slim all my life and have a fast metabolism, I would have been a big runner before I got pregnant and will return to that as soon as I can so I’m sure I’ll lose it after the baby is born. And my pregnancy has been text book so the weight isn’t causing any problems. The way I look at it, it’s the one time in a womans life that she can relax and embrace weight gain!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

people are just crazy when it comes to pregnancy bumps. i have learnt to block everyone out .

i am 36 weeks, at my last hospital visit, i had put on 8 pound, i am still in normal clothes BUT people are telling me that i am huge whale and are surprised that i can still drive :eek:

my bump is measuring bang on for my dates.

I've gotten the "your huge" since 25 week mark. Been the second pregnancy I was told you show quicker. Now I'm still hearing it and how I'm bigger this time and its a big baby (heard the same last time) my son was 6lb 15 I just had lots of fluid around him. I was told this time I've lots of fluid too and that I've not put on much weight. Going by both my cards I'm the same through both pregnancies. I just ignore people now!

• Advertisement

I'm getting the whale thing too. My mother actually tried to bully me into standing up and removing my cardi in front of a load of her friends to show them how huge I was.

She was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than me when she was pregnant with me at this stage, and from what I have seen, I'm pretty average for 26 weeks. Mind you, I have put on a lot of weight, a good bit more than I should have, but things like SW and healthy eating are kinda hard when you are in college all day - no means to reheat food, or keep it chilled in your bag all day. I could spend a tenner a day and buy healthy food, but that's ridiculous!

I am soooo sore today :( I feel like I've been kicked in the finnoula all night. :( pelvis and hips are so sore and stiff. 6 weeks left in work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I am soooo sore today :( I feel like I've been kicked in the finnoula all night. :( pelvis and hips are so sore and stiff. 6 weeks left in work....

Same. 6 and a half weeks to go in work and I'm getting really exhausted. With commuting I'm out of the house for 12 hours a day and for the last week I've averaged 2-3 hours sleep a night. Work is very stressful and I've been scheduled in for meetings etc right up until my last day. I'm getting really tired and worn out now, I have a 4 day weekend over easter and I'm living for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Today has been a day full of anxiety. I really thought that once I passed the first trimester that the worry would go but now I'm at the point of the pregnancy where my morning sickness had faded but it's still too early to feel the baby moving. The pains in my tummy and the sharp twinges 'down there' today don't help either. But everything I've read says it's normal.

The gap between scans is just too long :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Isolt wrote: »
    Today has been a day full of anxiety. I really thought that once I passed the first trimester that the worry would go but now I'm at the point of the pregnancy where my morning sickness had faded but it's still too early to feel the baby moving. The pains in my tummy and the sharp twinges 'down there' today don't help either. But everything I've read says it's normal.

My mother and aunts got one or no scans in the 80's, people forget that not long ago you were lucky to get 1-2, never mind more than that. I'm convinced this made it easier to deal with, just waiting blindly for so long, because scans were so rare and there weren't places that offer them privately like they do now, so it wasn't even a possibility to get one, you wouldn't be pinning everything on it. We've all become too used to instant/almost instant gratification and it makes it so difficult to wait for things! My mum agrees, when you expected nothing you couldn't get worked up wishing you could get it sooner!

My mother and aunts got one or no scans in the 80's, people forget that not long ago you were lucky to get 1-2, never mind more than that. I'm convinced this made it easier to deal with, just waiting blindly for so long, because scans were so rare and there weren't places that offer them privately like they do now, so it wasn't even a possibility to get one, you wouldn't be pinning everything on it. We've all become too used to instant/almost instant gratification and it makes it so difficult to wait for things! My mum agrees, when you expected nothing you couldn't get worked up wishing you could get it sooner!

I'm very lucky that I'm at the stage where Abi moves every day. She has a schedule (even if it is party-time at 4am) and I can make her move if I feel worried. A quick jiggle of my tummy, a can of Coke or her daddy's voice will set her off.
    I will agree though, there is something magically gratifying about seeing her on a scan, knowing she still has the correct number of limbs and has proper blood flow and organ function. Science advances mean we know more about the health of our baby before they come into the world, but hospital constraints and recessions mean we have to go on with the knowledge that sonographers could reassure us, but won't.

I had my first scan at 13 weeks, and was told there would be no more until 32 weeks. I've had one private scan done and am booking another one for the end of this month. I don't mind paying for the reassurance :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm very lucky that I'm at the stage where Abi moves every day. She has a schedule (even if it is party-time at 4am) and I can make her move if I feel worried. A quick jiggle of my tummy, a can of Coke or her daddy's voice will set her off.
    I will agree though, there is something magically gratifying about seeing her on a scan, knowing she still has the correct number of limbs and has proper blood flow and organ function. Science advances mean we know more about the health of our baby before they come into the world, but hospital constraints and recessions mean we have to go on with the knowledge that sonographers could reassure us, but won't.

I had my first scan at 13 weeks, and was told there would be no more until 32 weeks. I've had one private scan done and am booking another one for the end of this month. I don't mind paying for the reassurance :o

Really:eek: I had my first on Tuesday at 13 weeks and was told then that I'd have another at 20-22 weeks and the next one from there would be scheudled at the second scan.
    If they are still recruiting I'm going to sign up for the Genesis study too where they do another scan at 39 weeks.

Really:eek: I had my first on Tuesday at 13 weeks and was told then that I'd have another at 20-22 weeks and the next one from there would be scheudled at the second scan.
    If they are still recruiting I'm going to sign up for the Genesis study too where they do another scan at 39 weeks.
    It’s so irritating that it varies so much from hospital to hospital, I had one done at 12 weeks and a mini scan at 20 weeks. I’ve since heard that CUMH don’t scan public patients at 32 weeks, but then others have said it depends who you see. I have my 32 week scan next week and I’ll be gutted if I don’t get a scan, it feels like ages since my last one. I think I will book a 3D scan if I don’t get scanned next week. According to babyscan, the optimum time for a 3D scan is 24-29 weeks, has anyone had one done later and if so, did they see much?

Isolt wrote: »

I found that the worrying didn’t ease at all until 17-18 weeks when I started feeling movement. It’s a great milestone when you start to get that movement every day and it’s like a little message that everything is ok. Would you consider getting a Doppler? I got a cheap on Ebay and was able to pick up the HB from about 15 weeks. I found it a good comfort for the few weeks I had it before the movement started. I don’t use it much now, but did use it a couple of times when I felt there was a bit less movement than normal. But they can be a poison chalice in a way, because it can be tricky to pick up the HB sometimes and that can lead to more worry!

My bump has been active non stop since the first kick yet today I woke up to no movement usually she starts as soon as my little lad comes into the bed. I sat up poked and jiggled and nothing then after a couple of hours she started pushing a bit so I had pressure down low. Its only now she's starting to move legs and butt

Scary babies at times but feeling less anxious now. Of course I'll watch the rest of the day though

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    It’s so irritating that it varies so much from hospital to hospital, I had one done at 12 weeks and a mini scan at 20 weeks. I’ve since heard that CUMH don’t scan public patients at 32 weeks, but then others have said it depends who you see. I have my 32 week scan next week and I’ll be gutted if I don’t get a scan, it feels like ages since my last one. I think I will book a 3D scan if I don’t get scanned next week. According to babyscan, the optimum time for a 3D scan is 24-29 weeks, has anyone had one done later and if so, did they see much?

I had a 3D gender scan done at 20 weeks and there was absolutely plenty to see ;)
    [IMG][/img]286a00e2-dfca-49a0-b49e-4c87d158bebe.jpg

I imagine 24-29 weeks would be even better than this! We had ours in Babyscan as well, and have just booked a second one for the 28th of this month, when I'll be almost 30 weeks (mind you, it's another gender scan as we can't afford the full 3D one).

Yeah my hospital, along with many others, have done away with the 20 week anatomy/anomaly scan! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My mother and aunts got one or no scans in the 80's

My mother was high risk when pregnant with me and got scans nearly every week. That was 30-something (cough:o) years ago. However she said the quality of the scans wasn't as good as they are now and you couldn't make out much.

I'm 31 weeks and I've had at least 20 scans so far, possibly more as I was admitted to the hospital a couple of times and had multiple scans during those admissions. 16 of these were before 20 weeks as i had a very difficult time of it with bleeds etc. I know this sounds weird but I don't get excited by scans - for me they're just a check of whether things are still going okay or not rather than a chance to see my baby. At the moment I'm getting scanned every 2 weeks and I'm a nervous wreck every time I lie down on the bed, and once it's over I start worrying again until the next one! They don't bother giving me pictures or showing me baby's face or anything - it's very business like - checking heart, placenta, measurements and position and we're done!

It's one of those situations where I'm sure people who are low-risk look at me and wish they could have as many scans as me for reassurance, whereas I look at the low-risk people and wish I could have a "normal" pregnancy and not have to be on edge waiting for appointments.

My moan for today is - time is going so slowly. Since around 28 weeks it feels like time is standing still again, just like the first trimester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Tired tired tired tired tired.
    Not the same as I was a few weeks ago i.e. the constant draining weariness is gone and most of the time I am sleeping well. Also if I wake to pee during the night I'm snuggling back down to go to sleep again.
    However the last few nights were difficult. I woke Saturday morning at 02:30 and was wide awake until 07:00. At least it was a Saturday and I didn't have to go to work or anything.
    Slept soundly Sunday and Monday nights. Then on Tuesday, my neighbour's house alarm went off and as they are away I had to try to get hold of their landlord. He was uncontactable until midnight and at that stage it was too late for him to come and turn it off again. This has been an ongoing issue for over 4 weeks now.
    I slept so badly due to the noise of the alarm filtering into my house.
    Home from work yesterday and everything was fine and quiet. Then at 01:30 the bloody alarm went off again. :mad:
    I was wide awake until 06:10 when sheer exhaustion took over and I fell asleep for a little while but I had to get up to go to work today regardless.

To be fair to the landlord he seems like a nice guy and it would appear that the problem is now sorted (fingers crossed:)) but its been tough being woken up and so annoyed for so many nights.

We had another big scan this morning to check baba's kidneys, they're still a little high in the amounts in them, not badly so but she said he may need to be kept an eye on when he's born to make sure he's peeing enough so he's not open to kidney infections. Fingers crossed that won't cause any probs!

She also said I have a higher than normal amount of fluid around him and asked how my GTT test went, said I wasn't given a call so assume all was good. She did say I may need another test if it continues high? Scan was incredible and she turned on 4d bit for his face and printed us off a couple of photos, they were amazing!!!

After that went to midwife, bp and urine good, she sent me in to doc to ask about discharge and mild cramping I'm having now and again, doc wasn't concerned. Asked about GTT too cause notes aren't in my file, but said again I wasn't called. She said my fluid is high normal around baby so she wasn't worried but is going to get us in again for another scan in 4 weeks to check how it's doing rather than another GTT test! Am hoping it's just one of those things that's slightly higher but will stay within normal range!

Baby looks great though and at nearly 30 weeks is 3.3lbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Try not to worry about the kidneys. My gorgeous nephew and a couple of other babies I know had something similar and with prophylactic antibiotics when they were little ensured everything was fine so try not to worry!

The 4D scan sounds great!! We're having one in a few weeks and I can't wait to see the little chap!

Merkin wrote: »
    Try not to worry about the kidneys. My gorgeous nephew and a couple of other babies I know had something similar and with prophylactic antibiotics when they were little ensured everything was fine so try not to worry!

The 4D scan sounds great!! We're having one in a few weeks and I can't wait to see the little chap!

Thanks Merkin they don't seem worried so we're choosing not to be!:D The scan was great you'll love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Yeah, I can see that some people might be ok with waiting blindly for so long, but I reckon in pre-scan times like the 80s plenty of pregnant women were also in a constant state of low worry, especially if it was a first pregnancy or after a previous miscarriage. It is easy for some to look back and say "sure in my day we'd none of those fancy scans and we were fine", but that doesn't mean they aren't putting on the rose-tinted glasses, or, even if they really didn't worry, that doesn't mean that every women didn't worry. I know my mother did. It's not about 'instant gratification', it is genuine concern and fear of the unknown. I think that has always been part and parcel of pregnancy for women.

Oh my god I've never been so hot in my life! Work was like a feckin sauna today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh my god I've never been so hot in my life! Work was like a feckin sauna today!

Was in Penneys yesterday and nearly passed out with the heat in there... madness.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Was in Penneys yesterday and nearly passed out with the heat in there... madness.

Ah thank god it isn't only me who is suffering, I'll be sitting in my underwear indoors fanning myself for all of May I'd say

Advertisement