Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

oh and my moan is that tomorrow I have my big scan and I'm absolutely TERRIFIED if something is wrong. I had my first scan at wk17, I know my baby has a head and correct number of limbs but other than that... oh god (whom I don't believe in) please please please let everything to be ok!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

j@utis wrote: »
    I was about to join the "pain under the ribs" moan group but I managed to get it under control before that. What helps me is a length of elastic bandage. I wrap my ribcage with it just under my boobs and presto - discomfort is gone! I can sit on the coach watching tv for hours & hours again or spend a day at the on the computer! not sure if that's a good thing or bad... before I had to get up for a stretch every half an hour or so.

Oh I really don't think you shouhh of do this. Your ribcage has to expand. I was told this was a definite no by the physiotherapist

John Mason wrote: »
    Oh I really don't think you shouhh of do this. Your ribcage has to expand. I was told this was a definite no by the physiotherapist
    no, no, I'm not in bandages 24/7. I have exams coming up soon and I need to do some work done sitting at the desk, writing or on the computer. Other than that my ribcage is free to expand to infinity. I agree with that that this is short pregnant ladies problem, I'm only 5'4 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I feel like I drank acid. Heartburn is killing me the last few hours. Haven't eaten anything (except gaviscon :P) since lunch 1pm.. But just can't eat with this heartburn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I feel like I drank acid. Heartburn is killing me the last few hours. Haven't eaten anything (except gaviscon :P) since lunch 1pm.. But just can't eat with this heartburn!

:( I know that feeling. Would you ask your doc for Zantac?

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    :( I know that feeling. Would you ask your doc for Zantac?

Thankfully I rarely get heartburn! But when I do it's horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

My moan is about hospitals.. been in twice in the last fortnight for checks and BP been sky high both times so was sent to labour ward for monitoring. They eventually let me go after a few hours when it came down but want me in twice next week for more monitoring! I'm nearly 32 weeks now and have gestational diabetes. Have to inject insulin too now.. trying to stay positive but just want baby out safe and life to get whatever normal is again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

dustie1 wrote: »
    My moan is about hospitals.. been in twice in the last fortnight for checks and BP been sky high both times so was sent to labour ward for monitoring. They eventually let me go after a few hours when it came down but want me in twice next week for more monitoring! I'm nearly 32 weeks now and have gestational diabetes. Have to inject insulin too now.. trying to stay positive but just want baby out safe and life to get whatever normal is again :(

Ah sorry to hear Dustie try and take it easy and take gentle walks and hopefully your BP will go down a bit, remember you're on the last stretch now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

dustie1 wrote: »

A you poor thing, you're up against it.

Can I make a little recommendation? I would strongly recommend buying your own little BP monitor and checking it yourself in between appointments. White coat syndrome is notoriously common (whereby you have an elevated BP on seeing a nurse or doctor) and if you can keep an eye on it yourself every couple of days it would probably help. I have this one and it's been a little God-send. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CYK6FA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My paternal grandmother had preeclampsia and although I don't suffer from high BP I thought I would keep an eye on it during pregnancy as a precaution. I have a consistently good BP and yet I had a scan last Wednesday I was a little bit apprehensive about and the midwife checked my BP routinely beforehand (it was high for me at 140/83). I had the scan, all went well and she checked it again and it was back to normal at 108/68)! So my point is, if you are able to keep a little eye on it at home you'll probably get a better indication of how it is over a period of time.

Hope you feel better soon xx

I take my own BP too. BP monitors have really come down in price. I was feeling very exhausted at the beginning of my pregnancy, I wasn't surprised when I saw 95/60 on my BP monitor. My BP is rising steadily, now it's about 115/75, and I feel so much better!

and the moan: goddam stretch marks!!! they're here! I'm applying bio-oil on my bump after every shower and it looks fine, skin is dealing well with the stretch and all. Until yesterday morning when I looked at the mirror and horror, horror! skin has cracked on the tops of my hips! it wasn't where I expected the stretch marks to appear :mad: I'll be drawing my whole torso in bio-oil from now on!
    I have few stretch marks on my boobies too. But these were there long before I got pregnant - I can't explain those because my weight has always been very stable... ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

j@utis wrote: »
    I take my own BP too. BP monitors have really come down in price. I was feeling very exhausted at the beginning of my pregnancy, I wasn't surprised when I saw 95/60 on my BP monitor. My BP is rising steadily, now it's about 115/75, and I feel so much better!

and the moan: goddam stretch marks!!! they're here! I'm applying bio-oil on my bump after every shower and it looks fine, skin is dealing well with the stretch and all. Until yesterday morning when I looked at the mirror and horror, horror! skin has cracked on the tops of my hips! it wasn't where I expected the stretch marks to appear :mad: I'll be drawing my whole torso in bio-oil from now on!
    I have few stretch marks on my boobies too. But these were there long before I got pregnant - I can't explain those because my weight has always been very stable... ah well...

Apparently they are completely unavoidable as they are hereditary and genetic. I have three (my only ones at all, ever) just above my right hip, only got them last week!

Yeah it looks like an angry cat attacked my belly, I'm using loads of Palmer's butter!

Yeah totally agree about the BP thing, I always, always get nervous when I know they're going to do my blood pressure so it's never going to be the same as well I'm sitting relaxed. Luckily after starting at the three month mark with bad blood pressure 140/90 I changed my diet and exercise and it's been consistently good. But I'm going to get it checked every week now to keep an eye on it for peace of mind!

Apples are supposed to be good for lowering blood pressure too, and strawberries!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Thanks for the advice Merkin, I have one of those BP monitors and have been checking at home. they are fab! I definitely have white coat syndrome but problem is its just so high... reading in consultants office was 167/105! So everyone panicked. Midwife in hospital told me this pregnancy might be on "borrowed time". She meant well but think that just upset me more. Had protein in urine also so in fairness there just being thorough due to risk of pre-epclampsia (there is family history). Just trying to keep myself outta hospital for next few weeks and let baby grow a bit more. she's nearly 4lbs now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

God Dustie, that’s awful. Are you signed off work? Just try and rest as much as possible and try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know) Chances are, if the baby was born any time from now, she would be perfect. And they are growing so quickly at the moment, every single day makes them that bit stronger. Pre eclampsia is an awful thing, my sister had it, so I am keeping a careful eye on myself. That was a very tactless thing that the midwife said, I know she didn’t mean it in a bad way, but it’s hardly the best thing to say to a woman whose blood pressure is already sky high!

Oh you poor thing Dustie. I am sure everything will be just fine. It's good that they got your BP under control and it seems like the pregnancy is progressing well if Baby Dustie is already almost 2kgs! That's great progress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

First day off college for Easter (and apart from a tutorial week in may, my last ever) and I'm sat here nursing my stomach and holding my head. Was all hyped up for a day of cleaning (taking the weekend to bull through anything I'm behind on so I can relax for a few days before studying). Of course I'd get sick, it couldn't get much worse!!

Oh wait, it's our anniversary today and Mr. Bear seems to have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    First day off college for Easter (and apart from a tutorial week in may, my last ever) and I'm sat here nursing my stomach and holding my head. Was all hyped up for a day of cleaning (taking the weekend to bull through anything I'm behind on so I can relax for a few days before studying). Of course I'd get sick, it couldn't get much worse!!

Oh wait, it's our anniversary today and Mr. Bear seems to have forgotten.

That sounds like a crap day! Hope you get a good nights sleep and feel a bit better tomorrow (and Mr bear makes up for the anniversary).

Heartburn!!:(:(

Oh god it's one of those weekends where there's rich food going around and for the first time in ages my stomach is shooting lasers up my throat, bloody awful stuff. Have Zantac but it's not doing the trick:(

One of my friends on fb posted that she's started to wean her 8 week old baby.... I was like whaaaat! Already!! I thought u wait till 5/6 months.. Reply it's all ahead of you, all the books are wrong they need to be weaned early if they are hungry.
    Grrrrr I might be a first time mammy but I'm not stupid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

One of my friends on fb posted that she's started to wean her 8 week old baby.... I was like whaaaat! Already!! I thought u wait till 5/6 months.. Reply it's all ahead of you, all the books are wrong they need to be weaned early if they are hungry.

My sister was the same... I nearly cracked my head off a wall trying to tell her it was too early to wean her. She did stop for a couple of weeks but now she's 4.5 months and back on the spoon. The poor child is fat.

• Advertisement

That's insane! I didn't think their little digestive systems were mature enough to cope with solids until they reach about six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Um seriously? I'm pregnant with my first and have yet to read a single thing about actually caring for a baby and even I know that. Sounds like she needs some advice from a health visitor before she does some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Also 'all the books are wrong'??? Really, all of them are wrong??? I'm assuming someone with a PhD in nutrition that far surpasses all current knowledge in infant weaning posted that? No? Jesus what a stupid, irresponsible, opinionated moron! Argh this makes me mad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Good god. I hope she's exaggerating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I've known people to wean at 16 weeks and I thought that was even crazy early but jesus 8 weeks is beyond the pale. What is she feeding her? How would you even get food into a baby that tiny.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be horrified too,the poor little thing is too young to digest food and it could lead to severe issues later in life:(

I've no idea what she's feeding her. But she's only a tiny baby just turned 8 weeks on Thursday. Makes me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Why on earth would you give an 8 week old solids? That baby is still tiny! I can't imagine how her little belly is feeling, stupid woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I can imagine future problems with her tummy and digestion. I tried at 20 weeks as PHN said to but even then he wanted bottle so I ran with it and at 27 weeks he wanted it. Was able feed himself lega pretty soon after starting and now all his foods. Think they should be aloud mature themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm a first time mammy in the making and even I know (without having read it in a book) that you don't wean a baby that early.

Advertisement