Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    With the MLU I get a fully private room for birthing and for staying in with baby afterwards. MW said I can have a party of people in there if I want once it doesn't interfere with them caring for me and the baby. There is a futon couch in my room for people to stay, but they prefer if only one person stays at night which will be my partner :o

Wow that's fantastic lucky you!!:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Wow that's fantastic lucky you!!:):)

It's all under public healthcare, a lot of women dont go for it because they assume a midwife birth means huffing and puffing in a blow-up pool with no pain meds :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I've finally developed heartburn at 32 weeks, I thought things were too good to be true to not have had a sign of it until now :o

To any and all pregnant ladies who've had heartburn, oh my Lordy I feel your pain. This is SH!T!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Yeah I got an antibiotic from the doctor during my 21 week check up. The kidney pain had disappeared within a day of taking it. Then I got this horrible headcold! >:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jerrica wrote: »
    I've finally developed heartburn at 32 weeks, I thought things were too good to be true to not have had a sign of it until now :o

To any and all pregnant ladies who've had heartburn, oh my Lordy I feel your pain. This is SH!T!!

I got it late in the last trimester too. For ages I had that horrible burn in my throat and didn't realise what it was, idiot that I was.:pac: Got the massive bottle of Galviscon and it sorted me out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I never really suffered too badly with heartburn, but I found milk and Yops brilliant for relieving it! That probably only works when it's quite mild though!

Bloody hormone headaches have had them on and off all pregnancy and now they're back. Of course I make them worse worrying about them and if they're connected to my blood pressure every time but refusing to do that this morning, I was checked last Weds and I'll be checked this Weds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

My preg yoga teacher has given me her packet of green clay powder to take for heartburn (just stir a spoon of it into a glass of water). She said try it for a week to see if it works before buying one myself (although I haven't a clue where I can buy one...I suppose a health food shop or online?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

oh snap 33 weeks and it hits with a vengeance im killed with it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've been so lucky with my lack of moans and grumbles but I'm going to make up for it now, OUCH!! My joints are killing me!!:( I've got achy wrists, knuckles, knees, hips and cankles and it's from totally overdoing it. Was living it up in London for the weekend and have had an absolute ball but probably overdid it a bit on my feet so am like a swollen beach ball today with fluid retention. Anyone else got this in third trimester? It's a bank holiday here today so totally resting up for the day. Checked my urine so it's nothing to worry about but it's just really uncomfortable and I've had a real struggle taking off my wedding and engagement rings which are going to have to stay firmly off from now on methinks.

Cute story though. Baby Merkin loves Stevie Wonder and gets excited when I play him to him. Was on the Tube at Waterloo and there was a busker doing an amazing rendition of 'Isn't She Lovely?" yesterday and the little man immediately recognised it. Not only that, every time we got on a Tube the little chap got SUPER excited and kicked his little legs in rhythm to the rumbles of the train.......adorable! :) Awwwww.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    I've been so lucky with my lack of moans and grumbles but I'm going to make up for it now, OUCH!! My joints are killing me!!:( I've got achy wrists, knuckles, knees, hips and cankles and it's from totally overdoing it. Was living it up in London for the weekend and have had an absolute ball but probably overdid it a bit on my feet so am like a swollen beach ball today with fluid retention. Anyone else got this in third trimester? It's a bank holiday here today so totally resting up for the day. Checked my urine so it's nothing to worry about but it's just really uncomfortable and I've had a real struggle taking off my wedding and engagement rings which are going to have to stay firmly off from now on methinks.

Cute story though. Baby Merkin loves Stevie Wonder and gets excited when I play him to him. Was on the Tube at Waterloo and there was a busker doing an amazing rendition of 'Isn't She Lovely?" yesterday and the little man immediately recognised it. Not only that, every time we got on a Tube the little chap got SUPER excited and kicked his little legs in rhythm to the rumbles of the train.......adorable! :) Awwwww.

Aww that's lovely Merkin! What kit do you use to check your own urine by the by? Sounds handy!

My pelvis is making me very sore when walking and getting sciatica down one leg into my muscles and feet! Also if I'm sitting too long or walking too long my feet swell up and if it's hot my hands are doing it too! They calm down but can take a few hours, it can just be a very normal part of pregnancy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I was so lucky that I never got heartburn in pregnancy - good job too, because all I wanted to eat was chilli! There's a burrito shop near Holles St; the staff used to gaze on in a mixture of amazement and probably slight disgust as a hugely pregnant woman stood there annihilating their biggest burrito with extra jalapeños!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Aww that's lovely Merkin! What kit do you use to check your own urine by the by? Sounds handy!

My pelvis is making me very sore when walking and getting sciatica down one leg into my muscles and feet! Also if I'm sitting too long or walking too long my feet swell up and if it's hot my hands are doing it too! They calm down but can take a few hours, it can just be a very normal part of pregnancy!

I bought urine testing strips when I found out I was pregnant. My paternal grandmother died of toxaemia (she had preeclampsia) so about once a week I just routinely test my urine for ketones. I've had nothing to worry about thankfully but I do that and check my BP once a week as well to keep a little eye on everything. Makes me sound like a hypochondriac which I'm not at all, I just think if I can self monitor it's no harm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Parameter-Professional-Urinalysis-Multisticks/dp/B0032IKZV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401101573&sr=8-1&keywords=urine+testing+strips

Yes me hands get hot too, I'm sure the really warm weather doesn't help. I've been advised to elevate my feet to alleviate puffiness and it seems to be helping.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I was so lucky that I never got heartburn in pregnancy - good job too, because all I wanted to eat was chilli! There's a burrito shop near Holles St; the staff used to gaze on in a mixture of amazement and probably slight disgust as a hugely pregnant woman stood there annihilating their biggest burrito with extra jalapeños!

I'm really into spicy food lately, or garlicy food or basically anything with a strong taste, just food in general!:D

I'm prone to a bit of bad heartburn but I've been surprisingly good with pregnancy with only a few bad nights!

I bought urine testing strips when I found out I was pregnant. My paternal grandmother died of toxaemia (she had preeclampsia) so about once a week I just routinely test my urine for ketones. I've had nothing to worry about thankfully but I do that and check my BP once a week as well to keep a little eye on everything. Makes me sound like a hypochondriac which I'm not at all, I just think if I can self monitor it's no harm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Parameter-Professional-Urinalysis-Multisticks/dp/B0032IKZV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401101573&sr=8-1&keywords=urine+testing+strips

Yes me hands get hot too, I'm sure the really warm weather doesn't help. I've been advised to elevate my feet to alleviate puffiness and it seems to be helping.

Not at all I get my bp checked once a week and that keeps me sane! Remember now with hospital care and what the docs and midwives know, they would never let something like pre-eclampsia get to the stages it prob got to with your poor grandmother, we're lucky that in a few generations things have come on so much so you'll be absolutely fine.

And yep I find keeping my feet up and staying just a little cold really helps bring stuff down!

nikpmup wrote: »

I love it :D

I do that and check my BP once a week as well to keep a little eye on everything.

How do you check your own BP?

Had a proper melt down this afternoon. Started to feel overhwlemed with all the of the stuff left to do, stuff yet to learn, think there was blind panic about becoming a parent for the first time thrown in there too :o I think what made its so bad was bump has been kicking relentlessly all day, it's getting really sore. My bump is heavy and my skin is stretched and sore, my back hurts and the only position I feel comfortable is on my side. For the first time I actually had the "I've had enough" thought :(

Then when I got on the train to go home and got almost stampeded with people going by me to get a seat. A lovely man must have seen the tears in my eyes and gave me his seat. I hope karma is good to him for the next month!!

So I'm having a very sorry-for-myself kind of day. I hope it passes, it's really not fun. I do love pregnancy, but it's a tough old journey.

Awwww Jerrica, hugs to you. You've been sooo positive throughout and having the odd off day is inevitable, especially when you're getting bigger and that bit more uncomfortable.

I've really noticed it too in the last few weeks, I'm getting stretchy pains in my fanjita if I walk more than a mile (I swear I'm not obsessed with my fanjita eventhough it seems to pop up in conversation in most of my posts of late:o), and I get you with the back ache etc. Did you get sufficient rest at the weekend? What with the train trauma (how RUDE are those people incidentally?!) and feeling achy, why don't you book a days annual leave this week? I take the odd one here and there and they are great for recharging the batteries and being self indulgent. Would you maybe think of taking one just to regroup and unwind?

Keep the chin up, your body is doing an amazing job and when little Lulu is here, all those aches and niggles will be a thing of the past and will have been well worth it xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aw Jerrica, we all get days like that. I found I was particularly bad around 30-34 weeks. Don't know if it is a hormone surge or what, but I definitely had a good few days like you've just described! And like you I nearly felt guilty for feeling bad because I've had such a dream pregnancy and felt I have no right to complain when you see what some people suffer through! Why don't you have a nice bath and an early night tonight, you'll feel better in the morning.

And I hope each and every one of those feckers on the train gets an itch boil in a hard to reach place. Thank god there are still decent people out there like the man who gave you his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh and don't worry about a big long to do list, the baby won't notice if the windows are sparkling or if there's dust on the skirting boards! All she needs is somewhere to sleep and her mammies love. Everything else will fall into place!

Fanjita obsession is quite normal during pregnancy I think :p Its funny you should say that, I've organised to take a days' annual week off each week until I finish. Best decision ever. I'll have a four day weekend now this weekend with the Bank Holiday Monday. You're totally right, it's going by to be worth it, but you really can't understand the tough parts of pregnancy until you've been there.

I've come to bed with a book and the tv and I'm giving myself a nice lazy evening off. It is Monday after all, sure you wouldn't need another reason to do feic all!

Its funny you should say that, I've organised to take a days' annual week off each week until I finish. Best decision ever.

Ha! Snap! Have been doing that for the last few weeks and it makes a huge difference! When are you finished? My last day is 27th June so not long at all! You're right to chill this evening, you'll feel bit better after a bit of rest and some rubbish TV. Mr. Merkin and I did that recently during a day we took off together, went up to bed, watched a funny film called Hysteria on Netflix and ate an entire big bag of giant Buttons, very indulgent! :)

Hope you feel better xx

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Merkin, thats the Vagina Lightning. :D

I remember a few of us got it in the last trimester, you'd be walking around minding your own business then there would be this jolt.

Jerrica, sorry you are having a low day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for you. And rope in people to help you with your to-do list if you can.

Lolers, a friend of mine calls it vagina lightening too!! :) So funny! Although NOT funny when it catches you unaware! Seems like it's pretty common.

@Merkin, I'm not finishing up until the 10th July, I've pushed it out as long as possible as I think if I'm at home I'll only be staring at the walls and driving myself mad. Work are extremely accommoding and we're a lovely, small, close office so I'd rather be here in company than on my own at home :) My GP very kindly put my due date as slightly later than anticipated on my maternity leave forms so I could finish up as late as would be healthy.

@Neyite, thank you lady :) Today is better indeed, went to an antenatal appointment this morning, bump is healthy out, I'm healthy out and the consultant is confident that baby will be a good, healthy, but no-overly-big weight. Also
    after spending all night last night horribly bunged up I had an almighty "clearing" experience in the bathroom this morning and it's made a huge difference :o

I really think I'll have to look at adopting a more grazing approach to eating though, there's just no room in there for big meals.

Glad you're in a better headspace today Jerrica. It's hard when things overwhelm you like that and I'm sure you were massively encouraged by all the positive feedback at your appointment this morning. :)

I've always had nice feminine, slender fingers and today, if my hands were put in a hand identity parade, one would hazard a guess that they belong to a bare-knuckle boxer or perhaps a builder (although my bright red nail varnish on such big hands is disconcerting). They look like big, fat Cumberland sausages and the joints are soooooooooooooo achy. Not sure if it's carpal tunnel or fluid retention.....I get a shock every time I look down at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My moan today is not relating to myself directly - well in a physical sense. Thankfully myself and the babs are in flying form today and had a brilliant sleep last night. :)
    Other bloody women who insist, bloody insist, on telling you how difficult labour will be and you should / shouldn't have pain relief, lie on your side/ your back/ and on and on it goes. Then they insist on saying that you'll have a hard time delivering a big baby because of x,y,z and you should hope the baby stays small, etc etc etc.
    And these women are supposed to be your work friends!:mad:
    In the end I just said that "I'm banning any negative talk, I am pregnant and delighted to be so, the baby will be delivered somehow and all will be ok. If it was that bad then why have each of you had 3 children each? and that its really not very nice or helpful to be telling me such things is it?".

Now I feel like I could cry because its such an insensitive way to behave in front of any pregnant woman but especially so when pregnant with their first child.
    This lack of support is one of the reasons women don't rule the world!!! Positive encouragement please none of us think labour will be a walk in the park you know.

• Advertisement

PennyDreadful, Posts like this make me glad I work with (almost) all men! I've heard a few birth stories from my male colleagues but they are actually really helpful as they tell me the facts (it was vacuum/forceps; she was in labour for 10 hours and then had a caesarean; there was an episiotomy; there should have been an episiotomy but because my wife refused to have one the baby came out not breathing; the baby came out with its umbilical cord wrapped around its neck etc). I have found them all excellent as they have prepared me for all the things that could happen. The only one I had an issue with was last week when a male colleague told me the birth story of his (now teenage) daughters - fine. Then he proceeded to tell me (26 weeks) about how they had another daughter who died in the womb at 27 weeks - not so fine :-( especially when he told me they didn't realise she was dead and it was only picked up at a routine scan. Argh! How does someone think it's a good idea to tell me that?!

Advertisement