Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

HEAAAARRRTTTBURNNNNN!!!!!
    Leave me alone :(:(:(:(

35+2 today
    Had a scan wednesday at bang on 35 ..Baby measuring 36+6 then :eek:
    They aint changing my dates and want me back on the 7/7

Oh please god let them have made a mistake of for me to go early..Just when i had it in my head it would be a lovely 6 pounder im freaking myself out incase its like a 9 pounder..I think that could split me in two :eek::(

Rant over :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Swizzles wrote: »
    35+2 today

I know I’m naïve… but at the risk of sound pure stupid altogether... what does 35+2 and 36+6 mean :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Weeks + days
    so 35+2 is 35 weeks +2 days and 36+6 is 36 weeks + 6 days.

It's a werid one, there are so many things which you learn which are only used fro pregnancy related things

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Weeks + days
    so 35+2 is 35 weeks +2 days and 36+6 is 36 weeks + 6 days.

It's a werid one, there are so many things which you learn which are only used fro pregnancy related things

Doh... makes total sense when explained!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Thaedydal, funny I have never heard my doctor say that to me...maybe he'll start next weeks visit :)

So I'm 35+6 :P

Have you ever looked at your file?
    That is the notation used in it, I would have my file as I did combined visits with my dr and the hospital, or you can have a read when you are in for a hospital visit and collect your file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

Hey MORISH,

Be careful what you wish for! I was bemoaning the lack of symptoms last week! I've felt terrible all week with nausea. I can't eat anything except crackers and bread. I can't bear the thoughts or smell of meat. Breakfast, funnily enough, seems to the time when I eat best so I have a good one but lunch and dinner are tough. I felt wretched last night and even felt queasy when I went to bed.

I'm hungry but when I think of eating I just feel sick. On top of that I get very lightheaded and dizzy so if someone tipped off me I think I'd fall over.

Oh the joys! 6 weeks today :D

Hiya how strange

Yeah i guess i should be careful what i wish for, as i dont have MS i 'm sure others can advise you on better tactics but i did hear of someone who used to have crackers beside their bed and when they were up (peeing) at night they would have a snack and that helped, at least you might get food when your body will accept it and then dont have to worry about eating in the evening if your feeling sick. I went out shopping the other day and thought i would never get back to the couch, tired,dizzy and sometimes i just feel like i cant get enough air. Hope you enjoy your weekend, i have 3X13hr shifts ahead of me and then only 1 day off and another 2x13hr shifts dont know how i will survive.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

HEAAAARRRTTTBURNNNNN!!!!!
    Leave me alone :(:(:(:(

35+2 today

Oh please god let them have made a mistake of for me to go early..Just when i had it in my head it would be a lovely 6 pounder im freaking myself out incase its like a 9 pounder..I think that could split me in two :eek::(

Rant over :D
    Don't worry Swizzles.......
    I had a 6lbs baby followed by 2 prematures weighing 4lbs and my last baby was 9lbs 1oz but seriously there was absolutely no difference.
    I think because I had him natural with no pain relief and because he was my 4th I could listen to my body efficiently and work with it. The 2 prematures were delivered as well with no pain relief so for me I can say there was no difference:)
    I hope that reassures u a little!!

You won't be torn asunder, honest.
    The extra weight the baby gains is all in and around their body, which is going to be smaller in circumference then their head, and their head is going to come out first.

Thanks for the reassurance it has defo helped..
    Always thought babys size would go on the mothers side which is all 6 pound babies but on himselfs side there is a 10 pounder lol
    Think i was more so hoping this was the truth :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Swizzles...I was in the same boat!!

But seriously, to back Thae up it really doesn't make much of a difference. It's going to hurt whether its 6 pounds or ten pounds. The pushing actually doesn't really hurt all that much, it's the dilating that is the worst. If you think of it like that, it just backs up the fact the size doesn't matter too much!

And don't worry, it's just sore...it's not agony. And if you need them, there are plenty of drugs at hand!

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you ever looked at your file?
    That is the notation used in it, I would have my file as I did combined visits with my dr and the hospital, or you can have a read when you are in for a hospital visit and collect your file.

I do combined visits also but just have a card that I carry between Dr. and Hospital... but looked at my scan photo AGAIN :D... I saw 18+4 in the top corner...just never really passed much remarks to the numbers/codes etc. kinda been happy enough to just say I'm "x" weeks, and listen to the Doc say everything is fine, although now it's getting close I feel like adding on a week when people ask, in the hope that it'll give baby the idea of coming maybe a week early :o

Momma Bear is starting to get impatient and excited and wants to meet her CUB... but not too early;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Another week, another scan. I will be 37 weeks on Wednesday and this was my 3rd scan. Three interesting and nice things became apparent today.
    1. I have yet to see this little one onscreen without a little handie up beside its head... I am beginning to suspect the consultant took one scan at the start and has just blown it up bigger each month since!!!! Always the little left fist up by the ear, amazing.
    2. I have a lovely right down the middle baby. Average weight average headsize but leggy and tall like my daughter (and me).
    3. Baba is currently a little stargazer, but we have 3 weeks to encourage him/her to turn around. They say stargazers are more tricky deliveries but better looking when born cos their little faces don't get all mashed up like normal presentation babies! How mad?!
    4. Consultant marked it into my chart in 2 different parts of the chart that I am to be sent home within 24hrs if I have a normal delivery and no stitches. WOhoo!

I am happy tonight. Got a Trunki for the gingernut today and she loved it when she saw it before bed. Insisted on telling all the kids on the estate she was going on her holidays with her Daddy and her "suitcase box"!God I am so in love with that child!:D

My first was a stargazer birth, but ended up with forcepts marks on his face cos while was a long and lean 7lb 4oz he'd a big head.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Sorry, what's a stargazer?
    I know its something to do with the way they are facing, but I don't know what the normal way is anyway???

I think I'm scaring myself again reading all about the babies sizes and that. I'm only at the half way stage, but I'm dying to fast forward and get it over and done with. I think about perniel massages and epis/tears the whole time :o

ecaf wrote: »
    Sorry, what's a stargazer?
    I know its something to do with the way they are facing, but I don't know what the normal way is anyway???

I think I'm scaring myself again reading all about the babies sizes and that. I'm only at the half way stage, but I'm dying to fast forward and get it over and done with. I think about perniel massages and epis/tears the whole time :o

I was terrified with my first of a tear and or epi..... I did a deal with the consultant that she would only cut IF it looked like I was gonna tear anyway.. and Id prefer to be cut than tear.... Having been there and done that (Had an epi) It's grand. And an excuse to put things back nice and tight which does wonders for your sex life when things do heal up and get back to normal;)

As for baby sizes, look at your chart. Mine had the babys (1)head (2) belly and (3)femural length plotted on 3 separate charts which let me see that my little one is pretty much bang in the middle of a normal range. Very comforting stuff when you are worried. Each time your consultant does a scan she plots these measurements on the charts.

And as for stargazers, the baby is supposed to be Occiput Anterior (on your chart OA) which is the back of their head (occiput) facing your front (anterior). A stargazer baby is born literally gazing at the stars, so facing upwards, which isn't normal, and the technical name on the chart is Occiput Posterior (or OP) where the back of their head is facing your posterior. 87% of babies who are stargazers by week 37 (like mine) turn prior to labour and are born OA. This is preferable because a stargazer cannot tuck their chin in to negotiate the birth canal and so does not present the smallest part of their skull to the cervix first... the diameter of the part of the head of an OP baby presents is usually about 2cms bigger just due to positioning.

This makes it harder for them to get in there, to wiggle down through it, for us to push them out etc etc. It can also cause a "back labour" which is intense back pain due to the bone of their head pressing against the bones of your pelvis... These labours usually take longer, have a higher incidence of epidural and other interventions such as emergency c-section. So you can see why I'm here on all fours for the last hour rocking away to encourage baby to turn and stay turned. And even if I succeed (most do), baby can still turn at the last minute before or during labour... but at least I will feel that I have done my best.

As for the labour being difficult, it couldn't be much harder or longer than my first whose shoulder was stuck for hours and kept me 27 hours in labour, so that doesn't bother me. I know I can do that no bother. And I will go for epidural faster this time, as it appears that my medals and trophies for attempting to last as long as I could without pain relief got lost in the post!:D This is what I was MADE TO DO! Bring it on!:D

I held out for as long as possible with the epi as well, first time around only had it for 5 hours and that was the startgazer foceps birth, second time around it was 4 and half hours and that was with being induced as the little madam didn't seem to want to be born at all.

Being in labour is a bit like running a marathon, your body can do it, you just have to know it and keep focused and keep breathing and learn to 'be' in the spaces in between each contraction, to not well on them and to know soon you will hold your baby. Our bodies will do thier best to keep the endorphines going and it can be very intense and exhilerating, but keeping focused and positive makes a world of difference.

I was terrified with my first of a tear and or epi..... I did a deal with the consultant that she would only cut IF it looked like I was gonna tear anyway.. and Id prefer to be cut than tear.... Having been there and done that (Had an epi) It's grand. And an excuse to put things back nice and tight which does wonders for your sex life when things do heal up and get back to normal;)

well THAT is truly great news!

As for the epi...they really only do them if they think you are going to tear. And as target said....you don't want a tear! You don't feel a thing when they cut, and they give you a local anesthetic after so you won't feel the stitches either.

I had a rather large epi with my labour, and have had no problems. It can be tender for a while after, but the doctor is hospital will prescribe you some decent pain killers. Because I had such a large epi, the doctor must have given me super strength drugs because everyone was shcoked that they had been prescribed to me!
    The chemist went as far as to say "You might find ourself quite drowsy on these?"
    umm, i just gave birth....i wouldn't notice even if they DID make me drowsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Thanks for the info ladies! Sometimes I wonder is it good to arm yourself with all of this knowledge, or if its better to go in oblivious to all???
    Its great to know all the options, but I nearly end up scaring myself more with all the details :pac: Roll on October!

So you can see why I'm here on all fours for the last hour rocking away to encourage baby to turn and stay turned. And even if I succeed (most do), baby can still turn at the last minute before or during labour... but at least I will feel that I have done my best.

How about one of those Gym balls Target they are meant to help turn baby and its such a relief to sit on one when your sore down there ..I can only sit on the couch for about 30 mins before having to sit on the ball..

As for tearing and epis..If you tear they stitch you up aswell dont they?
    Since they told me baby is measuring two weeks ahead and that their still not bringing me in until week 39(Week 41 size wise if she doesnt slow down growing)ive been thinking more and more about the epidural..I know they wont cut you unless you have had the epiurdal but is a tear that much worse??:o

My moan ..I have a bum up my ribs..Its so freaking sore :(:(:(
    Getting to the uncomfortable stage now and im really really really really hoping baby wants to come out on time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Moan of the day for me is being overdue and hot hot hot!!!

Don't get me wrong - I love the weather but it's so much harder to do anything in this heat when you can't even sit comfortably!

Was at the hospital yesterday and a student midwife was checking the position of the baby and she thought maybe the baby was in an oblique position.
    I actually agree with her as the baby has actually moved up rather than down and I can feel the bum just under my boobs. She took the heartbeat from there too! She said the heartbeat is normally detected over the baby's left shoulder But when the doctor came in, he said the head was engaged!!

How is that possible???? I should have spoke to him about this but I felt I was on a conveyor belt up there yesterday and just got out as soon as.

Another thing is... I am 40+6 now and they just told me to come back next week, no internal exam, nothing! That I found a bit strange as by then I will be 13 days overdue and it's hospital policy to induce by 13 days over according to my SIL who is a trainee midwife up there!

This ever happen to anyone else??

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Swizzles;66431018

As for tearing and epis..If you tear they stitch you up aswell dont they?
    Since they told me baby is measuring two weeks ahead and that their still not bringing me in until week 39(Week 41 size wise if she doesnt slow down growing)ive been thinking more and more about the epidural..I know they wont cut you unless you have had the epiurdal but is a tear that much worse??:o
    [/QUOTE]

Really? As far as i know they will cut you if you need it...I have never heard anything about them only doing it if you've had an epidural. You don't actually need the epidural anyway, as there is so much pressure on the nerves you won't feel the cut.

Yes, a tear is worse. An episiotomy is basically a controlled cut...so they can direct it to where it is needed. If you tear, there is no guarantee which way it could go, and you run the risk of being torn through your back passage, which can be quite dangerous.

There really is nothing to fear with an epi, if you need one at all you are much better off just gettng it!

I genuinely barely noticed mine. They just said I needed one, and then it was done, me hardly noticing, and a few minutes later my chubster was screaming on the table!

Yup they said they only give you a cut in cork if you have had the epidural..Maybe they might have said they give a local anestetic (Sp:confused:) aswell but i was whincing at the thought of a cut..
    The main reason i want to try without the epidural is becoz i want to be able to get up and walk around..I personally think it would freak me out even more if i was confined to the bed during and after ..Would make me feel more clostraphobic.
    So if they give you a local..Lets just call it injection coz i cant spell :rolleyes: can you walk after??Is that only given before they give you the epi?
    Oh god so many questions so little time..Why didnt i think of these earlier :(

Love2Love i feel your pain and im not even gone over..But defo feel like a cattlemart up there you dont feel like your given the chance to ask questions..Plus i can never think of any until i come home anyway.A friend of mine had a baby in the same hospital a year and a half ago,Theres a certain part of the chart that is your birth discussion..She was shocked last night when i told her i would only be goin through that with the doctor on my week 39 visit..She had hers done at week 20 visit..Just goes to show how busy its become..I know they told me they will only leave me go 10 days over..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

My friend had an extremely quick delivery which led to a third degree tear and her subsequently having to go to theatre and get an epidural so they could stitch her back up, so believe me an episiotomy is way better.

To be honest, when I was in the middle of it all, an episiotomy seemed like a walk in the park compared to the pain I was going through. I genuinely didn;t feel it at all. I would have let them wrench him out with a car jack if they had suggested it at that stage!! I think when you are in the delivery room going through it all the suggestion of an episiotomy will seem very minor then it would if someone just grabbed you now and said they were going to do it :eek:. Its all relative really

lol i suppose thats true..Now when all i have is pressure it seems liek the worst thing in the world ..On the day ill probably be handing them the scalpel myself saying pleaaaaase lol

Thanks Ladies..
    Once again ye have put my mind at rest..
    First time moms pffft :P

Swizzles...im fairly sure you can walk with the local.

However, you won;t want to! By the time you get to the stage of an epi you will be confined to the bed to deliver anyway...and after delivering the baby you will not be walking anywhere for a while. You will need a couple of hours rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

..On the day ill probably be handing them the scalpel myself saying pleaaaaase lol

:D I can just imagine you pulling a little tool kit out of your labour ward bag!!

Seriously though, I would have let them do anything! 'What's that? You'd like to suck him out with a dyson?' 'Of course, let me help you plug it it' or 'What's that? You'd suggest that I leave the labour ward and run butt naked around Merrion Square?' 'Of course, if you can just help me up off the bed and pass me my slippers'!

hacked wrote: »
    Swizzles...im fairly sure you can walk with the local.

However, you won;t want to! By the time you get to the stage of an epi you will be confined to the bed to deliver anyway...and after delivering the baby you will not be walking anywhere for a while. You will need a couple of hours rest!

Thats true aswell ill probably be so tired ill have to be wheeled out of the hospital on the bed :D

Vel -Great idea with the Dyson :D
    Maybe could start using it now and get the arse out of my ribs and get her engaged ...Dysons really are better than Gym balls :D:D

I had the dyson with my first.. I'd highly recommend it after 27 hours if you are running out of steam for pushing and the babas shoulder is stuck in your pelvis!:D

The only bit of the episiotomy that I found scary was going to the loo the first few times after... that first impossible pee and being terrified of bursting the stitches.... and the first time for the other carry on a few weeks later, janey you'll feel like a born again virgin!:D

I have 3 weeks left today, and I am too mean to buy a birthing ball if I am completely honest!

Can any of you ladies tell me what to do with the witch hazel in case of stitches? Do I make up a spray bottle like with the tea tree or do I put it on a pad neat or what?

Today was hot hot hot at work.And very busy. Only got till Saturday to go and I'm all excited. Staff all trained and ready to go. Just need to borrow a few grand from the CU to cover the last two months of their wages!!!:eek:

Feet like pots.:( Trying to organise mad family to agree on a headstone for my parents grave. No money or anything, I've that all done, just agree on shape and colour for now. I'd sooner build the next spaceshuttle and organise takeoff and fly it myself. Luadars!:rolleyes:

You can get witchhazel wipes and use them and you can add witchhazel to the pads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

my moan today is that i have 8 weeks to go my bladder is driving me mad i dont drive so walk everywhere and every step i take he is bouncing on my bladder and i feel like i have to pee all the time its very uncomfortable :(

also stretch marks on my stomach are itching like crazy all i seem to do is rub cream into me but still the itching persists really want to scratch but dont so rubbing palm of my hands over them...also they have bumps on them is that normal

oh and doctor said he should move at least 10 times a day...he kicks and moves in the morning after breakfast then seems to have a sleep for himself then late in the afternoon has a move around then all quite then wakes up when im off to bed do people think this is enough or should i say something to doctor???

sorry another question is it normal to feel his kicks in my bum i know strange one but he seems to be turned facing the back of me and i mostly feel him punching my bum area and back and also under my boobs is this okay???

sorry first time pregnant and going to lamass class (is that how you spell it) and now getting paranoid about what is the right way to feel and whats the wrong things to be feeling :confused:

Advertisement