Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh god nikpmup, I've just read your birth story too, that sounds so traumatic! Being separated from your baby that first night must have been horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh god nikpmup, I've just read your birth story too, that sounds so traumatic! Being separated from your baby that first night must have been horrendous.

It wasn't nice. To be honest, at the time I was so fcked on morphine I felt totally detached from the situation and that freaked me out - so much so that after Hugo was taken away, I argued with the midwife and asked her to take me off the morphine drip. I didn't want my head foggy. It was only when I got home really that what had happened set in. I wasn't able to breastfeed, I feel strongly that I might have had a better chance if I had had a normal delivery - maybe not, but it's how I felt. I think it affected our bond in the early days, I felt detached from this little thing at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

The birth and "aftermath" had a huge impact on my ability (well, inability) to breastfeed. That was the plan all along. But when he was rushed off to intensive care and was being fed bottles, the implication was that the formula was better than my own milk. And of course I did KNOW better than that. But with my head all over the place, it was easier to stick with formula.

Around two weeks after he was born, I was pumping for every feed, then throwing it down the sink and giving him formula instead. Because I felt it was better for him. The milk I produced wasn't good enough. That is how totally completely f*cked up I was.

Then I stopped even pumping, and my supply went.

I've come a very long way because, at least now, I can see that I was a total mess! At the time, I thought I was being logical and rational. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Ncmc, please don't get scared, every birth is different, and you might surprise yourself and be able to cope with the labour pains!

I am a total wuss that had never broken a bone too, I asked for an epidural but had no time for it as baby was coming quickly, no choice but to suck on gas and air, and it was actually manageable! Never in a million years had I imagined that I would give birth without pain relief...! I had an epidural on my first birth (was given oxytocin which I believe leads to stronger contractions)

For some reasons I was more nervous and scared about the birth on the second time around. At 38 weeks I arrived at the midwife clinic in a flood of tears just because I was afraid of not being able to cope with the pain, afraid of possible interventions... The midwife had a looooooong chat with me, explained to me that when labour would start I needed to breathe and relax through each contraction, "welcoming" them as they mean I'm getting closer to meeting my baby. She said that tensing up/ panicking would actually slow down labour and lead to possible intervention. I spent the next 2,5 weeks resetting my mindset about the birth, seeing as a positive experience rather than a scary one!

When my labour started I was totally relaxed, and actually looking forward to the whole thing! That second birth was a great experience, better than the first one.

You can't control what is going to happen when you go into labour, you'll have to go in with an open mind but try to keep focusing on the end result!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

^^ What she said.

It's true that sometimes it all goes to sh1t, despite our best intentions.

But there are lovely wonderful positive stories too.

And even when it doesn't work out as planned? It's a cliche, but time is a great healer. I wake up to this gorgeous smile every single morning. It mightn't have been the birth I planned, but I could not have planned a more perfect beautiful baby. :)

• Advertisement

Ah Chat he's only gorgeous! Has such a wise looking head on him! That's the reason women go again and again, he's definitely worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

He's a cutie.. Here's my little "angels" (monsters)

Wouldn't change a thing and I'd do it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Gorgeous pics!

Ah girls is this heat driving anyone else mad I feel so warm all the time and my feet and even my fingers are swollen now, couldn't get my rings on this morning without a fight do didn't bother!

Got my bp and urine checked less than a week ago and are clear so think it's just the heat:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Chattastrophe - Im not surprised you were traumatised by the birth you had, sure you have a gorgeous baby to show for it but that doesnt mean you automatically just get over the delivery, well done for getting counselling and sharing your story.

nikpmup - in terms of delivery yours in my worst nightmare, its one reason Id consider choosing the epi - in case of an emergency c-section. I was almost in tears reading your story. I cant believe your GP was so dismissive towards your feelings about it.

I think after reading both your stories I will be saying no to oxytocin if I can help it.

Its never OK for women to judge eachother (its what holds us back in this world), particularly about something as personal and individual as childbirth.

My moan for today is having to work on a bank holiday:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Chattastrophe - Im not surprised you were traumatised by the birth you had, sure you have a gorgeous baby to show for it but that doesnt mean you automatically just get over the delivery, well done for getting counselling and sharing your story.

nikpmup - in terms of delivery yours in my worst nightmare, its one reason Id consider choosing the epi - in case of an emergency c-section. I was almost in tears reading your story. I cant believe your GP was so dismissive towards your feelings about it.

I think after reading both your stories I will be saying no to oxytocin if I can help it.

Its never OK for women to judge eachother (its what holds us back in this world), particularly about something as personal and individual as childbirth.

I had the epidural on my first and by the time the c section was coming around it had started to wear off so they had to put me under general anaesthetic anyway... There's definitely no guarantees of anything at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

The midwife had a looooooong chat with me, explained to me that when labour would start I needed to breathe and relax through each contraction, "welcoming" them as they mean I'm getting closer to meeting my baby. She said that tensing up/ panicking would actually slow down labour and lead to possible intervention. I spent the next 2,5 weeks resetting my mindset about the birth, seeing as a positive experience rather than a scary one!
    Best of luck!

That is a nice way to look at them, rather than dreading them.

That is a nice way to look at them, rather than dreading them.

This is exactly what our antenatal class midwife told us, that if we stayed relaxed throughout the contraction (viewing it like a wave building to a peak and then dying back down again) we wouldn't actually waste the contraction by holding our bodies tense against it and therefore slowing down labour. She said long slow breathing through it would help release the natural drugs in our systems and get us there much quicker!

She also said for first time mams the TENS machine is a huge help before the hospital (ditto having at least two baths), a family friend gave us one to use, wondering if I should test it out beforehand?

SmokeyEyes, I got a Tens machine at the weekend (€30 second hand on Adverts) and its ok to use after 37weeks but not before, not sure how far along you are. They are meant to be a great distraction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I did ask for the epidural; once I got the oxytocin my contractions came thick and fast and there was no break between them. I didn't get the chance to have the epidural as I had to have the section almost immediately. It all happened very fast, from going on the oxytocin to baby out was about 35/40 mins.

SmokeyEyes, I got a Tens machine at the weekend (€30 second hand on Adverts) and its ok to use after 37weeks but not before, not sure how far along you are. They are meant to be a great distraction!

Brilliant! I'm 38 + 3! The last few days is the first time I've gone, ok I'm ready let's do this and actually want it to happen. Then it'll happen and I'll be like oh no give me another day to prepare!:rolleyes: Or more likely, I'll still be saying this in 3 weeks time:D

Interesting hearing your stories about oxytocin, from what midwife at class said I thought you were advised the epidrual once you had it as she said it can be very overwhelming pain wise in such a short space of time, I'll make sure now I don't take it or if I do the epidural is already in!

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Brilliant! I'm 38 + 3! The last few days is the first time I've gone, ok I'm ready let's do this and actually want it to happen. Then it'll happen and I'll be like oh no give me another day to prepare!:rolleyes: Or more likely, I'll still be saying this in 3 weeks time:D

Interesting hearing your stories about oxytocin, from what midwife at class said I thought you were advised the epidrual once you had it as she said it can be very overwhelming pain wise in such a short space of time, I'll make sure now I don't take it or if I do the epidural is already in!

I wasn't advised epidural when getting oxytocin both times but after having drip started and an internal, midwife told me I should get epirdural, I declined it but was begging for it five minutes later!

I presume they ask for your consent before giving oxytocin? Would it be an option to refuse? It sounds awful unless you'd had the epidural beforehand.

I presume they ask for your consent before giving oxytocin? Would it be an option to refuse? It sounds awful unless you'd had the epidural beforehand.

They do ask consent and it is an option to refuse, you do not have to agree to anything that you do not want.

I know lots of people who have had no problems with oxytocin but I just do not seem to react well to it at all. It brings my contractions too close and too strong and sends the babies into distress.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Of course they would. :)

I was on this before my subsequent C-section. In my case there was meconium in the waters, so I knew from the beginning that due to the risk of infection for the baby, I had a time limit. Unfortunately I was also only 1cm along.

The oxytocin does make your contractions more intense, but no more than a sore period pain really, and for some it can work. But after 3 hours I was still 1cm and the baby was starting to get into distress and I knew I was heading for the C-section so opted for the epidural so at least I'd be awake when the baby was born.

I found a position that really helped with the contractions, to the point it reduced them to a mid-strength period-type pain: My worst contractions were in this position according to the monitor but I barely felt them. It was actually the way they positioned me for the epidural:

Sit sideways on the bed, position your partner on a stool facing you, put your legs either side of him, shuffle your bum back on the bed so your bump is fully resting on the bed between your legs. Its a much better position for you to brace yourself for the contraction when it comes. I was able to cuddle into my partner and put my head on his shoulders and he could hold me tight when I got a pain.

Don't be afraid to move around to find what works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

+1 to the moving around to find a comfortable position. Mine was alternating between the cat and the child yoga poses. I was on my own for a lot of the labour but my body definitely guided me to these positions. Walk around, bounce, shower, bathe, take the drugs if you want/need them. You'll definitely find something that helps. It's good to be informed about the stages of labour and the possible interventions etc but try not to get caught up too much in the what ifs before the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Neyite wrote: »
    But after 3 hours I was still 1cm and the baby was starting to get into distress

If only there was some way to make women dilate without having to use Oxytocin! You'd think with modern medicine they'd have come up with something by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

On my first son I did get oxytocin as I was still 1cm dilated after 3 hours walking the floors in the hospital

Baby did not like oxytocin and his heart rate dropped with every contractions, so they had to rush to get him out, luckily I already had the epidural at that stage! He was born after a few pushes and the help of the ventouse. The whole birth felt so rushed and I really got scared hearing his heart rate dropping and machine beeping. The midwife even called for a ressusitation trolley but luckily we didn't need it!

On my second pregnancy I told to the midwife in the midwife clinic how scared I was to be administered oxytocin again. She agreed that oxytocin does send babies in distress. She explained to me that the best way to avoid oxytocin is to stay at home labouring for as long as possible. In Holles st, once you get to the labour ward, you're on the clock and you're expected to give birth within a number of hours (not sure how long) so they will try to speed things along.

So on the second birth, I stayed at home until contractions were 10 min apart and arrived at the hospital 5 cm dilated, which was good timing for me. Lucuma, walking, bouncing on an exercise ball, moving in general will help dilating naturally.

Really interesting hearing all your stories, the midwife at our class said that labour is max 12 hours, I'm thinking now from what you're saying that means once you're admitted into labour ward and all systems are go?

She definitely recommended what you were saying about staying at home as until contractions were 60 secs long, 12 mins apart for an hour solid and said home will be the most relaxed part of the whole thing so to take advantage of being there as long as you can.

Great tips of positioning as well, I can't stop thinking about when labour is going to kick in as I'm due 14th, would love to go naturally and not be induced!

My moan today is still about the heat, swelling gone down but I'm heading out shortly so it'll be back to ham feet and hands:D

I hear ya SmokeyEyes, Im only 29+3 and had to take my engagement ring off as was so tight after coming home from a walk at the weekend, terrified Id have to get it cut off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

<...> She agreed that oxytocin does send babies in distress. She explained to me that the best way to avoid oxytocin is to stay at home labouring for as long as possible. <...>
    that's the whole point of it - Google "pit to distress" or alternatively read the pdf article on this website under "Avoid Interventions That Are Not Medically Necessary" heading :( btw all articles there are worth reading, they're very interesting.
    I'm pregnant with my first and I'm not afraid of giving birth at all. What I'm afraid of is Intervention :(

I can't think of what to moan about. No swelling, no heartburn, no constipation, no pain, no frequent peeing, no nothing! if not the this huge bump in front of me I'd forget I'm pregnant at all :P I'm 32+5 today and +12kg :eek:

Rotunda appointment today, as usual just hoping my bp and urine are still good, have had hormone headaches for over a week again (not first time during pregnancy) but also could be my sinuses and my wisdom tooth is causing me hassle so who knows! Have got bp checked last week and both that and sample were clear so hoping for more of the same, we're going to see The Eagles tonight so I need the all clear:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Awake since five. I had to move into the spare room with the noise of my husband. No, he wasn't snoring, jbut he was breathing. His breathing - at 5am this morning, when I'd only slept for four hours - might as well have been a war time siren. Who does he think he is with his respiration and his alive-ness, inconsiderate poopyhead... :o I may be a little grumpy today.

:pac:

Things are a little bit up in the air with some family stuff so I told my Mum I was really going to be relying on her help when this little one makes her grand entrance. I was duly informed that while on maternity leave it's my duty to have a hot meal on the table when my husband comes home from work and I have to make an effort not to let my standards of home cleanliness and personal care slip. I honestly don't know whether to laugh my face off or cry with frustration!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jerrica wrote: »
    Awake since five. I had to move into the spare room with the noise of my husband. No, he wasn't snoring, jbut he was breathing. His breathing - at 5am this morning, when I'd only slept for four hours - might as well have been a war time siren. Who does he think he is with his respiration and his alive-ness, inconsiderate poopyhead... :o I may be a little grumpy today.

Things are a little bit up in the air with some family stuff so I told my Mum I was really going to be relying on her help when this little one makes her grand entrance. I was duly informed that while on maternity leave it's my duty to have a hot meal on the table when my husband comes home from work and I have to make an effort not to let my standards of home cleanliness and personal care slip. I honestly don't know whether to laugh my face off or cry with frustration!!

I'm sure you love her and all, but she is a dope. But at least you know you cant rely on her in the early days and you can surround yourself with people who are supportive and helpful.

Jerrica wrote: »

I'd go with the laughter to save your sanity!!!:eek:

That's a very old fashioned view and I'm sure your hubby will help out loads and do dins and if there's nights where the two of you just have a sambo and a nice chat for dins cause you're both wrecked so be it! That's also what takeaways are for:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Neyite wrote: »
    Sit sideways on the bed, position your partner on a stool facing you, put your legs either side of him, shuffle your bum back on the bed so your bump is fully resting on the bed between your legs. Its a much better position for you to brace yourself for the contraction when it comes. I was able to cuddle into my partner and put my head on his shoulders and he could hold me tight when I got a pain.

Neyite what do you mean by 'sit sideways on the bed' sorry now it's probably self-explanatory but do you just mean to sit on the side of the bed or to lie on your side? Also I don't understand if your bum is far enough back on the bed to allow your bump to be resting on the bed, how could you be close enough to cuddle your partner sitting on a stool in front of you? :confused:

Advertisement