Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Dab on tea tree oil diluted with a few drops of water. Very effective, I had a few on my last pregnancy and was told same about zovariz! Used tea tree and worked well. They are a bloody pain in the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Guys I need your advice. Have had this ridiculous cold sore for about 3 days now. My boyfriend went to boots to pick something up for it and was told by the pharmacist in no uncertain terms was I to take anything for it. However, my pregnant friend also has one and is taking zovirax?! Any other pregnant ladies got some cold sore remedies I can use?

I'm confused by the pharmacists reaction, apparently there was some finger wagging going on :P from what I can see on zovirax's website, it says consult your doctor before using if you're pregnant, maybe she's right?!

I thought I might of been getting one (the day before I went into labour). I went to my consultant who said get Zovirax.
    He said it is absolutely safe and rolled his eyes when I told him pharmacist might not give it to me!!! He told me to send my husband in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I had a terrible cold sore a few weeks ago. My OH got Zovirax for me, and she's a doctor. She didn't seem too worried :pac:

Spent the entirety of Christmas killed with heartburn. This however didn't stop me from eating all around me. Feeling like a beached whale today :o

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Sleep is impossible some nights. I also get the excruciating sore throat most nights and snore really loudly because of it. That also makes my throat sore. I just want to sleep.

Also the heartburn is daily now and I can't find compression socks to fit me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sorry for posting here, just wondering if ye have any advice, sister is due in may and is having severe headaches she finally went to doc who confirmed its a sinus infection so she is on antibiotics, just wondering if any of ye experienced similar and if so is there anything ye did to relieve the symptoms? Obv she is reluctant to take anything. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I use acupressure as a kind of preventative to sinus infection. There are videos on youtube but I usually just rub my brow bones and under the cheekbones. Sometimes I can feel the sinus draining down the back of my throat then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes, they are a bugbear of mine.I use panadol and a sinus spray called Sterimar (or something equivalent).It's just salt and water.She will need to use it every couple of hours for a couple of days to start shifting it, but it does work.If she wanted to try that for a few days before the antibiotics, it always works for me.A GP recommended it, rather than getting antibiotics every time.The spray clears the nasal cavities,(ie washing the infection out) and the panadol is for the pain obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Thanks for those suggestions will say it to her,

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Hi ladies. Am 27 weeks and suffering badly with a cough....am up since 2 this morning coughing and spluttering and have been up all week with it. Just drained!!
    Anyone have any tips on what to take for a bad cough to alleviate it? I'm trying hot drinks etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Pregnancy is such a magical time. My 3 year old has a tummy bug, and he woke up vomiting at 11pm. I rushed off with him to clean him up when he puked all over me. I then had to hand him over to his father so I could run off to vomit, whereupon I wet myself. FML

Two nignts into yet another tummy bug in as many weeks and I've got round ligament pain on top of it all. It's so horrible to see them suffer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mooooo wrote: »
    Sorry for posting here, just wondering if ye have any advice, sister is due in may and is having severe headaches she finally went to doc who confirmed its a sinus infection so she is on antibiotics, just wondering if any of ye experienced similar and if so is there anything ye did to relieve the symptoms? Obv she is reluctant to take anything. Thanks

I second the acupuncture suggestion, suffered badly with headaches earlier this pregnancy and it definitely helped. Although doc says it's sinus related, if her iron levels are low, this can also cause/ exacerbate headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Girls I just found out my babies gender and it's not the one I was hoping for, I feel really guilty for feeling so upset but can't help it. I know I'm being silly and a healthy baby is all that matters. Did this happen anybody else?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Not to me, but it did happen to one of my friends, she was convinced the baby was one gender and had started buying little outfits etc very early on. She was pretty upset when she found out the gender, but after a couple of weeks she started to feel better about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

jadie wrote:
    Girls I just found out my babies gender and it's not the one I was hoping for, I feel really guilty for feeling so upset but can't help it. I know I'm being silly and a healthy baby is all that matters. Did this happen anybody else?

I had a little bit of disappointment after I found out the gender. But it's definitely worn off now. I spent a few days googling nursery ideas and outfits for the gender that we're having and found myself copping on. I didn't say anything to anyone about it but think it's fairly normal if you have your heart set on one gender. Of course the main thing is to have a healthy baby. Just remember bits an emotional time and you can't control what you feel. But fastforward to the midwife handing you your little bundle of joy, you will forget any feelings of disappointment believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

jadie wrote: »

It’s so taboo to say you’re hoping for one gender or another but I’d bet a lot of people do lean towards wanting one or other. I really wanted a girl first and thankfully did end up with one but can imagine I’d have been disappointed at first with a boy, but I also know that once the baby was born I genuinely wouldn’t have minded. Give yourself time to adjust to the news and I bet you’ll feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Ah thank you, definitely it is taboo to say it. For various reasons I'll more than likely only have one baby too so think that's what makes it so hard. I won't let on to anybody anyway and we are keeping the gender to ourselves as well. I know I'm very lucky and will just focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

When I found out I was having a boy second time round my first reaction was “I won’t know what to do with a boy”, my husband wasn’t happy with me because he took that as me being unhappy with a boy but I genuinely was a bit worried that the boy would be totally different to his sister. They’re 4 and 7 now and both great kids in their own right (not that I’m biased!)

Why do people with colds/chest infections insist on calling over during Christmas, only letting you know they're sick when they arrive? :(

Everyone in my house is now coughing and sneezing bar me as a result, I'm 38 weeks today and feel the sniffles and groggy head coming on. FFS, so bloody thoughtless of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ZiggyBean

So weird being back here... Found my post from over a year ago, giving out about people's horror stories etc. God it was so surreal to read, as I myself had a horrendous birth experience after writing that... And yet here I am again, expecting number 2 and extremely excited about it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Going in armed and ready this time round, with a better idea of what to expect and what you want?!

Over-eating....I will never learn.Feel yuck.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Going in armed and ready this time round, with a better idea of what to expect and what you want?!

Over-eating....I will never learn.Feel yuck.

Most definitely am! Feel empowered to make my own decisions this time round... How niaive I once was haha...

(Opting for a C-section... Safer bet)

With you on the eating.... Constantly making a pig of myself... I'm ahem...blaming Christmas... ahem..

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

Literally awake all night wìth this stupid cough, was just about to dose on the couch at 4 this morning when my 2 year old started screaming, she wouldn't settle again so we are both awake, this is gonna be a long ass day.

Work clothes getting tight.... Looking likely I'll have to go routing out the maternity clothes sooner than later... Just when I was getting back into my good jeans 🀣

Sick as a dog with this cold, throat closing up, bowels all over the place, feeling pukey and 1.5 weeks to go so can't get comfortable. Packed the last of the stuff in the hospital bags and started freaking out that I'll actually need to look after this tiny girl when it's all over. Packing her bag made it all very surreal. I should be excited but I'm totally anxious all of a sudden.

Baby brain has taken over - Left my phone on silent in the hot press and spent a good while looking for it. My husband retraced my steps and found it. Jaysus to feel normal again!

Hiding in the toilet cubicle in work due to absolute exhaustion... And the inability to deal with people's sh1t today.... How long is a reasonable time to hang out in here before it's weird?? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

ZiggyBean wrote: »
    Hiding in the toilet cubicle in work due to absolute exhaustion... And the inability to deal with people's sh1t today.... How long is a reasonable time to hang out in here before it's weird?? ��

I'm hoping the answer to this is at least "an hour" , I'll need it when I get to work next week. Off sick this week with exhaustion (well, some of it is prebooked leave I figured I'd need) and I'm think some 'alone time' will be needed in the office next week

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The long and winding induction - started at 11pm on Monday and only really showing signs of kicking off now! Starting to think my cervix is actually Fort Knox...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

The long and winding induction - started at 11pm on Monday and only really showing signs of kicking off now! Starting to think my cervix is actually Fort Knox...

Good luck! Mad given it’s not your first... fingers crossed that things pick up speed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Waiting to be brought to labour ward to have my waters broken, its crazy busy down there so I'm in for a long wait! Damn full moon :p

The problem is that I'm only 38 weeks and would most likely have gone overdue, I'm being induced for multiple bouts of reduced movements.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping the answer to this is at least "an hour" , I'll need it when I get to work next week. Off sick this week with exhaustion (well, some of it is prebooked leave I figured I'd need) and I'm think some 'alone time' will be needed in the office next week

Think I managed about 20 mins in there before deciding to return to the monotony of it all.... I wish you all the luck returning.... A quiet cubicle is definitely your friend!! :)

Advertisement