Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Insulin injections :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm 18 weeks and due my first baby in January. My complaint is that every woman I seem to come into contact with feels the need to tell me their most horrific chidbirth stories. The pain, the blood, the guts..... it's just lovely. As if I wasn't nervous enough.... To make it worse, they only seem inspired to tell these stories when they find out it's my first baby!!!

You should get to reading some positive birth stories and ignore all the horror stories (and DON'T watch any of those awful US tv programmes on cable!). A couple of the Irish parenting websites have threads given over solely to positive stories, or you could try getting a book like Ina May Gaskin's 'Guide to Childbirth' - a bit hippyish but very good at settling first-timer nerves and sending your head to the right place. I was never one for alternative stuff but when pregnant on my first I found that reading positive birth stories along with pregnancy yoga and hypnobirthing (relaxation) CDs really effective for helping to dispel the terror and replace it with excitement and a belief that no matter how the birth went I would be ready and able for it (which I was!).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

You should get to reading some positive birth stories and ignore all the horror stories (and DON'T watch any of those awful US tv programmes on cable!). A couple of the Irish parenting websites have threads given over solely to positive stories, or you could try getting a book like Ina May Gaskin's 'Guide to Childbirth' - a bit hippyish but very good at settling first-timer nerves and sending your head to the right place. I was never one for alternative stuff but when pregnant on my first I found that reading positive birth stories along with pregnancy yoga and hypnobirthing (relaxation) CDs really effective for helping to dispel the terror and replace it with excitement and a belief that no matter how the birth went I would be ready and able for it (which I was!).

Great advice CM - I'm due my 3rd in 4 weeks, wish I had known anything about hypnobirthing on my previous pregnancies. I'm reading the book (The Mongan Method) and listening to the cd's, and am much more positive and open-minded that I was previously. I know it's my 3rd and I have the advantage of having a fair idea what is ahead of me, but if you could get your hands on the cd's Long Road, it really would put you in a positive frame of mind. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ChattyChick

Thank you so much. I'm trying to organise acupuncture at the moment but just reading your response was so helpful. Made me feel like I wasn't going crazy x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Mentioned this in the other thread as a possibility but my asthma is definitly back. Was at the doctors yesterday and he's confirmed it and put me on inhalers. For only the second time since my early teens (and the first time was summer hayfever induced at 18 - 7 years ago).

It's not really a normal pregnancy sideeffect but it's effecting me. Between not being comfortable lying down and shortness of breath this is seriously effecting sexy time with himself!

Ok, in seriousness, I am upset about it. Not just the fact that I can't walk anywhere quickly (at 24 weeks) but it just feels like one more thing to get me down... Got over 3 months weight losing morning sickness and now I have this!

On another note, my partner is a good deal older than me - which I don't care about normally... except when it comes to his friends. And I know it's my own insecurities playing up but I feel like I'm staring down the barrell of a gun! Either their really successful women in business (ones a doctor) who're out in maternity leave or they were really successful women in business who have left work to take care of the children (not knocking it).

But I'm just finished my masters, I had a year of working in London before that and now I'm in Dublin with no idea what to do. I spent most of the summer looking after my partners kids when they were here on holidays so I wasn't looking for work (part-time/voluntary) then and now I feel ike I can't cos I'm 6 months pregnant...

I'm lost and scared and I don't know what to do.

And I'm supposed to be a mother in 16 weeks time! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Nicowa, I think every pregnant woman once they hit the mid 20 weeks starts panicking in a 'oh dear lord what have I done way'. I know I did, and most of the women in the pregnancy thread seem to have gone through something similar.

Regardless of who in your or your other half's circle is doing what, it's your life you decide what's right for you. You've worked hard to achieve your qualifications, why should you just let them sit there? Figure out how you can carve out a career for yourself and do it, if that's what you want.

Realistically the chances of you taking something up now in this climate before you have the baby are pretty slim. In my view anyway, i could be totally wrong. But you could use the time to take it easy before baby comes. Patronising as it sounds, you will be absolutely knackered when it gets here so I would take this time to enjoy the lie ins and the peace and quiet before all hell breaks loose ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My ribs. .. dear god the pain. . it's been so busy with the back to school rush and standing for hours every day that my ribs are about to give in . .the only solution is a hot bath . . of which i have enjoyed many ;) thank god i'm off today and tomorrow i'm just wrecked :( less than 4 weeks left now.. count down has begun :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My moan- I'm still pregnant :(

I'm beyond uncomfortable at this stage- I'm sore, not sleeping from reflux still and starving because I can only eat so much or it gets worse, SPD is getting worse by the day, feel like I'm starting to fall apart!
    I just want to meet my baby now!!

And eh... does anyone else find themselves... emmm... drooling?! :o:eek: I seem to drool a lot in my sleep the last while. It's a bit weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Thanks, Hannibal Smith, the idea of everything being on hold for the next 6-8 months (at least) is just annoying...
    liliq wrote: »
    My moan- I'm still pregnant :(

And eh... does anyone else find themselves... emmm... drooling?! :o:eek: I seem to drool a lot in my sleep the last while. It's a bit weird!

I feel really sorry for you! I hope baby arrives soon! And +1 on the drooling thing... it's really annoying.

nicowa wrote: »
    Thanks, Hannibal Smith, the idea of everything being on hold for the next 6-8 months (at least) is just annoying...
    Nicowa, I was in a similar sort of situation in that I had just finished my MA when I was pregnant on my first lad and by the time I was able to find suitable jobs I was too far gone and wasn't getting offered anything. I managed to pick up a bit of tutoring (2nd & 3rd level) and research assistant work (writing up policy documents, data entry, transcriptions, editing etc) related to my masters that I could do from home or in the evenings. I had to take time off when my son was born but was able to get back into it fairly quickly afterwards as it was such flexible work. I 'decided' not to go back to a fulltime job (I don't know if I would have found one!) and have been freelancing since (baby #2 is due November) as it is so much easier to fit in childcare around the work I get. I've also made sure to keep in touch with my uni supervisor and extend my work network as much as possible (simple things like going to conferences and introducing yourself to people and maintaining contact with them through social networking etc) so that when I am finally in a position to get back to work full time I will have a public profile among 'influential' people.

It can feel like your life is on hold a bit but try to visualise what it is you actually want to do when you go back to work and make a plan as to how you can become that person. You have the bits of paper to prove that you are a highly skilled professional, now you just need the attitude and contacts to go with it!

• Advertisement

liliq wrote: »

YES, I had to put a waterproof cover on my pillow (under the pillowcase) or risk having to throw it out. Just one of the many lovely experiences that they don't tell you in the 'what to expect when you're expecting' books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Oh no, hope I don't start drooling. I'm 33 + 3 at the min & haven't experienced it yet. My moan for the day - think I'm getting or have got a sinus infection. :(

My drooling started in the first trimester, and hasn't stopped yet, i'm 30+3 now

I'm 30 weeks today and STILL puking almost every day :mad:
    Nothing helps, I'm soooo sick of crackers and ginger tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

well i just hopped my forehead so hard off a press door that it sent me backwards and to my knees!!

im also wrecked tired from not sleeping properly, even got told in the shop i look tired. gee thanks!! couldnt have said i was glowing!!!

also anyone having problem with bad gas. now i mean BAD BAD gas that smells so bad you have to leave the room yourself!:o seems to happen kind of randomly. i know sometimes its to do with the food i eat. sorry if this is too much info!

on the good side im 21 weeks today! :)

also anyone having problem with bad gas. now i mean BAD BAD gas that smells so bad you have to leave the room yourself!:o seems to happen kind of randomly. i know sometimes its to do with the food i eat. sorry if this is too much info!

Woo, finally, a side affect i DON'T have!

Your digestion slows down when you're pregnant so some foods can take longer to go through your system... so a food that might have just caused a slight problem before can make it really uncomfortable for you now... keep an eye on what you eat when it happens..
    I have indigestion all the time now. . eat or don't eat. . . doesnt' make a difference. . 3 pillows or 4 it still wakes me up. .
    i had kicking at the top of my ribcage last night right between my boobs. . :eek:. . i thought first it was a strong heartbeat/palpataion thing but nope. . it was kicking :eek: i didn't think there was enough space for anything to fit never mind a baby part. . my tummy rumbles somewhere under my right ribcage and it's very very weird. . .
    i was going to have a go on the trampoline to try to get it to move down but the effort involved climbing the ladder just put me off. . i swear this baby is probably about 10 pounds now and about 3 foot long :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

does anyone have any tips for getting a few hours sleep at night? havnt slept great at all in last week or so and last night i got bout 3 hours. im so tired and have to head to work for a double shift, wont be home til monday :eek:

seriously any suggestions will do! its not the baby keeping me awake i just seem to lie there awake! gona say at my scan wed. will i see the doc then or just sonographer? might ask to speak to nurse if sonographer isnt helpful. last time she wasnt great, just wanted to get us out of there!!

does anyone have any tips for getting a few hours sleep at night? havnt slept great at all in last week or so and last night i got bout 3 hours. im so tired and have to head to work for a double shift, wont be home til monday :eek:

seriously any suggestions will do! its not the baby keeping me awake i just seem to lie there awake! gona say at my scan wed. will i see the doc then or just sonographer? might ask to speak to nurse if sonographer isnt helpful. last time she wasnt great, just wanted to get us out of there!!

Have you tried a warm bath about an hour before you go to bed?? Body pillow. . turning your pillow over to the cool side?? It's another side effect you don't get warned about..

i go to bed about 11 and read for a while but i usually woke up about 3 or 4 and it took ages for me to get back to sleep. . my only saviour was my little lad would sleep for 2 hours in the morning and the days i wasn't working i'd just sleep with him.. it's hormones and worry and uncomfortable.. it was around your stage too.. i don't know if it eases or if exhaustion takes over but if i do wake up now (for the loo usually) i can get back to sleep fairly quickly. . but then i'm pretty exhausted all the time with school toddler and work. . :eek: unusually last night i slept like the dead and i was really comfortable. . that hasn't happened in ages . .
    I secretly think it's mother nature getting us ready for sleepless nights before baba comes :D;) hope it eases for you soon ..

A cup of camomile tea about an hour before bed might help, but #1 tip is that as soon as you wake up during the night, get up and pee. Even if you think you don't have to, you probably do. I'd lie awake for hours sometimes, eventually saying 'oh well, might as well pee' and as soon as my head hits the pillow again I'm asleep. Now when I wake up I force myself to get up immediately and although there's still no unbroken nights' sleep, I'm getting more sleep overall. Only cure for it is birth I'm afraid, and then there'll be whole other reasons for not being able to sleep at night!

• Advertisement

Leg cramps...in the middle of the night.....when you're fast asleep...leg cramps :mad:

You don't stay asleep for too long with those! I tend to get them more in the morning, but they are added to the long long list of things that wake you up at 4am... excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Permanently blocked/snuffly nose. Felt like I'd swallowed a brick all day yesterday, anything I ate went down in a lump. Can't get comfortable at all in the evenings, on the sofa, so end up lying down. Then I fall asleep in the middle of watching something. Up and down most nights to wee. Probably my own fault, as love a mug of tea around 9.30. Had a complete aversion to tea for the first 16 weeks, am loving the couple of mugs a day again now. Weird dreams, all night every night. I'm prone to sciatica anyway, and am now waking up with pain in my right bum cheek. Panicking on days that baby is relatively quiet, thinking that something has to be wrong. And I'm only at the halfway mark now:(:(

73Cat wrote: »
    Permanently blocked/snuffly nose. Felt like I'd swallowed a brick all day yesterday, anything I ate went down in a lump. Can't get comfortable at all in the evenings, on the sofa, so end up lying down. Then I fall asleep in the middle of watching something. Up and down most nights to wee. Probably my own fault, as love a mug of tea around 9.30. Had a complete aversion to tea for the first 16 weeks, am loving the couple of mugs a day again now. Weird dreams, all night every night. I'm prone to sciatica anyway, and am now waking up with pain in my right bum cheek. Panicking on days that baby is relatively quiet, thinking that something has to be wrong. And I'm only at the halfway mark now:(:(

Oh I feel your pain...I had stuffed sinuses for the whole first three months, ended up getting infected and I had to go on antibiotics. It is so uncomfortable. Thankfully it did improve. I got Olbas oil, put it everywhere I must have reeked of the stuff. It was on my pillow, on my sleeve on my tissue. I also had two pillows at night to raise my head up so it was all drain out. Gross I know, but it did help.

Yeah Fox, I'm getting sick of the leg cramps by now. I wouldn't mind, I read up on it and it said it's associated with poor diet...eh I don't think so...my diet's never been better :D

Yeah Fox, I'm getting sick of the leg cramps by now. I wouldn't mind, I read up on it and it said it's associated with poor diet...eh I don't think so...my diet's never been better :D

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week-37.aspx

Just after reading the bit on this page about leg cramps. . almonds and magnesium. . good for indigestion too.. might give it a try ;)

I've been snacking on almonds, eating plenty because they're relatively low in carb, and don't buck my blood sugar levels. I still have the leg cramps at night.

In fact today I've had one while watching tv.

I still have officially over 2 months go to, and it already feels like I have been, and will be pregnant FOREVER. Pregnancy without cake is just wrong :(

haahaa Fox....if you think 2 months without cake is bad wait till you hear this. I got a belated present from a friend in the UK this morning. Opened it up....it included a multipack of aero bars! He doesn't know about my current diabetic state.....but I could have died when I opened the package :(:D

I haven't tried almonds cbyrd, but I'm getting loads of magnesium from the sparkling ballygowan. I'll start on the almonds and see if it does the trick.

Ack hannibal, thats as bad as my mother bringing me her homemade brownies for my birthday! I forced my hubby to eat them, as I couldn't bear to throw them out, it would have been just more injustice!

Having pretty much gone off meat since day 1, an hour ago I opened the fridge and ate my way through 2 packets of salami and a whole tub of wafer cut ham. And now I feel sick??? Stupid baby.

• Advertisement

Everything i eat or drink at the moment is giving me indigestion. . but i have figured out at night if i lie on my left side i'll sleep pretty well.. only problem is i'm used to sleeping on my right side,( i'm deaf in my left ear so i hear nothing ) but i get so warm at night i need the window open and at the weekends it can be a little noisy .. . if i lie on my right side i get indigestion, my back i'll need to use the loo 40 times a night.. its just a pile of poo trying to sleep .. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any good tips on how not to break teeth during labour?? managed to crack 2 teeth and move 2 fillings last time and cost me €350 to get them fixed .. gas means i can't use something to bite down on. . it'd just get too complicated .. and i've never had time for the epidural. . funny the things that play on your mind :confused:

Advertisement