Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks for the tips cat melodeon!!

it's hormones and worry and uncomfortable.. it was around your stage too.. i don't know if it eases or if exhaustion takes over...

im waiting for the exhaustion to hit. just home from my double shift and goin to try aqua aerobics tonight so heres hoping for a half decent sleep tonight!

Panicking on days that baby is relatively quiet, thinking that something has to be wrong.

im the very same as this!! baby was quiet sat so i was getting myself all worked up. then comes the following morning and baby is squirming away!its really crazy and ill prob be the same the whole way along!! so hard not to worry!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Haha yeah and the worry doesn't end once they're born either :D you worry if they do sleep if they don't sleep if they're eating too much or too little :rolleyes: it's mad . . my eldest is 12 and i worry more now than ever about her :eek: bloody boys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

cbyrd wrote: »
    Anyone have any good tips on how not to break teeth during labour?? managed to crack 2 teeth and move 2 fillings last time and cost me €350 to get them fixed .. gas means i can't use something to bite down on. . it'd just get too complicated .. and i've never had time for the epidural. . funny the things that play on your mind :confused:

God, never heard of anyone doing that - something new for me to worry about it. Do people do that often? I've 10 fillings & 2 crowns, so really wouldn't fancy needing loads of dental work after giving birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Oral Slang wrote: »
    God, never heard of anyone doing that - something new for me to worry about it. Do people do that often? I've 10 fillings & 2 crowns, so really wouldn't fancy needing loads of dental work after giving birth.

It's a bit of a natural reflex, clenching your jaw when pushing. Quite apart from what it can do to your teeth, it can actually make your pushes less effective. If you can at all, you should try to keep your jaw as relaxed as possible and breathe through the contractions rather than holding your breath and 'purple pushing' while you count to ten. It can be very difficult to avoid this if you've had an epidural as you really need to rely on the midwives to tell you when to push - you normally won't feel the surges yourself. If you do go without the epi and the birth goes easily, you might not even need to make yourself push much, your body may automatically do it for you. That's not everyone's experience though, so if you do end up having to push and count through, there are yoga breathing exercises that can help you to stay relaxed. It might also help to give your birth partner the task of making you exhale slowly through an open mouth through the pushes.

Here's a link to a youtube video that shows some techniques - not the yoga ones I learned but something similar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TRnHcdQE6E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its well worth looking at these things before, my midwife was trying to explain how my pushes were not effective during labour and all I was thinking was: whats the most painful way to kill her.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been going to pregnancy yoga for the last 4 weeks & most of it is about breathing. Last night she showed us how to get our partners to make sure we were breathing into our ribs. Going to try get a gentle birth or hypnobirth cd too. Would prefer not to get an epidural if I can do it on my own. Have got a tens machine ready & waiting & would hope to only need the gas & air if required.

My other half keeps saying there's no way I'll do it on my own cos I'm crap with pain, but hoping to prove him wrong. :D

My other half keeps saying there's no way I'll do it on my own cos I'm crap with pain, but hoping to prove him wrong. :D
    I'd kill him! That's the kind of thing that'd drive you to drugs! I was like you, got the TENS machine (never used it), did the Gentlebirthing (excellent) and planned to use just the gas and air, and all the while himself was saying stuff like 'just don't rule out the epi', 'are you sure you won't want the epi' etc. In the end I let a roar at him that if he kept constantly chipping away at my confidence I would end up killing him and that I needed him to be my cheerleader through what was to come. It worked, and he was so in awe of the change that came over me in labour (according to him I was like a wild animal - in a good sort of a way) that he did everything I told him to.

This time he's even taken it upon himself to listen to the partner preparation exercises on the gentlebirth CD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yeah I've been going to pregnancy yoga for the last 4 weeks & most of it is about breathing. Last night she showed us how to get our partners to make sure we were breathing into our ribs. Going to try get a gentle birth or hypnobirth cd too. Would prefer not to get an epidural if I can do it on my own. Have got a tens machine ready & waiting & would hope to only need the gas & air if required.

Where do you do the Yoga Oral? I'd love to do that to get my breathing right....not sure if it's too late though, how many weeks are you?

Where do you do the Yoga Oral? I'd love to do that to get my breathing right....not sure if it's too late though, how many weeks are you?

I do it in Knockmitten Community Centre in Clondalkin, if you know Clondalkin, it's right up the top (the IBIS Hotel end). I'm 34 weeks, started at 31 weeks. There have been girls there in recent weeks who are 39, 40 & even 41 weeks, so no one is too late really. It's €80 for a course of 8 or €12 pay as you go.

I'm in Tallaght & searched for one there for months with no success. Typically, after I joined my one, I got a text from another place saying that classes were starting in Tallaght in September. http://www.yogabalanceireland.com/

Thank you so much for that, I'm actually Tallaght too, know the school well so I'll look into that one...thanks again :D

• Advertisement

I slept so well last night. . no jumpy baby no indigestion . . so it made perfect sense that i'd get up and use my morning off work to paint the bathroom .. and then get home at 8 and put the last coat on it. .:rolleyes: ah well i'm off tomorrow and friday so i can put my feet up :D 37 weeks today :eek: time's flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

delighted to have started my maternity leave yesterday- however my sniffles have developed into a proper cold- so I now look like rudolph!
    I am very classy today with my pjs, tissues, n blanket
    gotta love it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Have a nasty cold, so feel like crap, having to keep my legs crossed so I don't pee every time i sneeze.

Have a brand new Hemorrhoid with a clot in, grape sized and agony, can't really do anything about it.

Have de quervain's tendonitis in my right wrist because I keep waking up having slept with my hand twisted under me.

Getting some random blood sugar readings with the cold, very frustrating. Still having to inject insulin.

Baby has been mercilessly and ceaselessly kicking me today, one of my ribs feels loose... I wish he/she could LITERALLY kick the crap out of me, instead of just metaphorically...

Just want a plate of chips :(

Still 8 weeks to go...

foxinsocks wrote: »
    Have a nasty cold, so feel like crap, having to keep my legs crossed so I don't pee every time i sneeze.

Have a brand new Hemorrhoid with a clot in, grape sized and agony, can't really do anything about it.

Have de quervain's tendonitis in my right wrist because I keep waking up having slept with my hand twisted under me.

Getting some random blood sugar readings with the cold, very frustrating. Still having to inject insulin.

Baby has been mercilessly and ceaselessly kicking me today, one of my ribs feels loose... I wish he/she could LITERALLY kick the crap out of me, instead of just metaphorically...

Just want a plate of chips :(

Still 8 weeks to go...

i was going to moan about being tired.... don't think i'll bother now :D
    hope you feel better soon;)

Hope you're feeling better today Fox.

*whispers to cbyrd* I'm tired too....had a load of work planned for today, half an hour into it my limbs feel like ton weights...but sshhh dont tell Fox ;):D

GAH You guys better moan more! Misery loves company! I do not want to feel like the only one moaning here!

GAH You guys better moan more! Misery loves company! I do not want to feel like the only one moaning here!
    Well, I puked so hard this morning I thought the baby was actually going to come up my throat. S/he also spent the night bouncing on my guts so hard that I think they are now permanently impacted and that I will never manage a number 2 again. I've had to stock up on prune juice to help with that, and of course prune juice makes me retch. Vicious circle thing going on here, don't like it much. NINE weeks to go, if this ones like his/her brother, it's probably closer to ELEVEN weeks. Yeay :mad: (they don't do puking smiley faces).

Yeah that heavy limb thing. . what the hell is with that. . i've never had it before but i was out all day yesterday and today i feel like i've got lead boots on .. must be my age :rolleyes: my appetite has deserted me but no indigestion for the last few days.. not even when i'm bending over to pick stuff up or loading the washing machine for the 16th time. but baby hasn't moved down.. he's head down but not engaged :D

poor ben has a cold and some sort of viral thing that's giving him runny nappies and no appetite.. i'm putting it down to the eye tooth and the 2 back teeth that are nearly up but it's been going on for a week and i'm wrecked trying to get food into him and washing vests and trousers ..:eek: he's such a good eater normally this has just thrown me i have to be so inventive and patient and entertaining.. the only thing is he's sleeping a little more so i get an extra nap in the day too. . :)

Just doing 2 half days and 1 full day now til whenever junior puts in an appearance. . i have 2 weeks and 2 days til i start on the serious moaning about being late .. so be well warned in advance i will be taking over the thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Haven't posted here before and I don't know if it's the hormones or not but one thing is really starting to get under my skin. I will be 12 weeks on Friday and so far I have got alot of stuff in for the baby furniture wise as I've come across a good few bargins that I couldn't pass up. What's really annoying me is when I tell people this I get the worried look followed by the warnings of how it's bad luck. That on it's own I could probably cope with but then they have to back up their theory with stories of how they know such a person who bought all their stuff early and then something horrible happened...:eek:
    Seriously???? Have your stupid superstitions all you like but do you really have to frighten the living daylights out of me in an effort to try and prove your right:mad: As if pregnancy wasn't scary enough sometimes :mad::mad::mad:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Haven't posted here before and I don't know if it's the hormones or not but one thing is really starting to get under my skin. I will be 12 weeks on Friday and so far I have got alot of stuff in for the baby furniture wise as I've come across a good few bargins that I couldn't pass up. What's really annoying me is when I tell people this I get the worried look followed by the warnings of how it's bad luck. That on it's own I could probably cope with but then they have to back up their theory with stories of how they know such a person who bought all their stuff early and then something horrible happened...:eek:
    Seriously???? Have your stupid superstitions all you like but do you really have to frighten the living daylights out of me in an effort to try and prove your right:mad: As if pregnancy wasn't scary enough sometimes :mad::mad::mad:

What is the matter with people...why on earth would you say something like that! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Went to see a play with a friend last night, felt I could use a bit of culture;) Besides it's ages since I went out, and think I was in school the last time I went to see a play. Had dinner earlier than usual, so I could get out the door on time. As soon as I sat down to watch the play, my stomach started to make the most horrifyingly loud noises, and all at quiet parts in the play:(. Was squirming in the seat, which wasn't the most comfortable anyway. Went outside for some fresh air on the interval, was roasting inside. Also, had a good burp in a corner. As soon as I sat down again, my stomach was off once more. Couldn't relax, I was so fed up.
    Find I am so gassy, it's not so much indigestion (yet), as just being full of wind after eating. Other than that, no real complaints for the moment. I'm actually getting up earlier than usual, and walking the dog, much to her delight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

in for a quick whinge as well - jinxed it all by saying I was feeling great in the other thread...my back is completely 'thrown out' now (I blame Ikea ;-)), causing searing headaches and nasty pains when I move, so I am an emotional miserable wreck, starting to cry every 5 minutes...And my physio is on holidays. Njarg.

Ms2011 - ah geez, some people are idiots! I try to ignore those comments, people can be so rude at times (but heard it before as well - my mum is adamant we cannot bring the pram into the house before babba is born - but happily assembles the cot already because it looks so cute...:rolleyes:)!
    Stupid superstitions...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Was at the clinic in Holles Street today for my checkup. Waited two hours to see the doc, by which time I was really p*ssed off. Why can't they just give everyone a specific time rather than telling 30 women to come in between 8 and 9? I wouldn't mind waiting 20-30 minutes if they did that but this just gets my goat.... And then I forgot to mention that I'm back on asthma medication (for the first time in ten years) so I'm p*ssed off at myself for that.

I've antenatal classes tonight. Last week she singled me out cos I was looking terrified when she simply mentioned what she'd be talking about this week and next week - I was right up the front - and I was nearly in tears when she'd finished talking to me. I feel much worse today, nearly in tears for no reason most of the day, and I know I'm not really up to the task tonight. If she comes anywhere near me I'm running out the door...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In for a bit of a whinge :o 5 days over now and getting very fed up. I know it's normal for first timers to be late but had a few false alarms midway through and was basically being told to be prepared that baby might be early. Never thought I'd be nearly at 41 weeks!

Am completely exhausted and fit for nothing but sleep, however sleeping hurts and I'm up every hour to pee. Was so exhausted last night I actually fell asleep on the loo :mad::o hubby woke up at around 5am and got worried when I wasn't in bed and he couldn't hear me in the kitchen (making food) and found me on the loo, pants round the ankles, snoring thunderously. He said he was so close to hysterical laughter but held it in cos he felt so sorry for me. He had to sit with me for ages then while I waited for the feeling to come back in my legs.

Foxinsocks, I totally sympathise with the tendonitis, it's such a pain, literally! Mine has gone away now but got a fright the other day when my fingertips went numb, so went to the doc and was told that it's pregnancy carpal tunnel syndrome brought on by swelling etc. It just gets better!! Feet look like butternut squashes and I've got prize winning cankles! Only have one pair of shoes that fit!

Seriously, this baby had better be born soon! He seems to be determined to stay in though, for all my walking (with two mad cocker spaniels), bouncing on the birthing ball, spicy food and pineapple, there's still no sign of him!! Has anyone any other ideas to get him out? I'm terrified of being induced!

nicowa wrote: »
    Was at the clinic in Holles Street today for my checkup. Waited two hours to see the doc, by which time I was really p*ssed off. Why can't they just give everyone a specific time rather than telling 30 women to come in between 8 and 9? I wouldn't mind waiting 20-30 minutes if they did that but this just gets my goat.... And then I forgot to mention that I'm back on asthma medication (for the first time in ten years) so I'm p*ssed off at myself for that.

I don't understand this either, I mean obviously they don't want there to be a time during the day where they're waiting for people to show up, but SURELY there's a better way then telling everyone to be there at the same time... One of the big reasons I went private was so I could avoid the public clinics. Then I got gestational diabetes, and got chucked back to the public clinics. It's a pain in the arse, because my hospital is an hour away, and I can't really drive that far anymore, so hubby has to actually take a half day of his leave, because we know full well that we'll be there for HOURS.

My (virally triggered) asthma showed up again too after this last cold, even though I was over 2 years clear of it... Don't be pissed at yourself though, it's hormones, and nothing you have control over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Toots* wrote: »

Seriously, this baby had better be born soon! He seems to be determined to stay in though, for all my walking (with two mad cocker spaniels), bouncing on the birthing ball, spicy food and pineapple, there's still no sign of him!! Has anyone any other ideas to get him out? I'm terrified of being induced!

Pineapple doesn't work, unless you eat at least 7 of them in one session... spicy food is the same, you really have to go out of your comfort zone (so if you're used to spicy stuff you're definitely not getting him out that way!).

When is your next appointment? Can you ask for a sweep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My (virally triggered) asthma showed up again too after this last cold, even though I was over 2 years clear of it... Don't be pissed at yourself though, it's hormones, and nothing you have control over!

Yup, mine was virally triggered too. But it's more my ego that's bruised, you know. I was all "I've beaten this b*tch down!" And now it's got me on the ropes...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

January wrote: »
    Pineapple doesn't work, unless you eat at least 7 of them in one session... spicy food is the same, you really have to go out of your comfort zone (so if you're used to spicy stuff you're definitely not getting him out that way!).

When is your next appointment? Can you ask for a sweep?

Next appt is wednesday when I'll be 41 and 3 days, then if he hasn't arrived then I'll have to have a scan on Friday, then if there's still nothing I think they'll induce on Sunday or something. I thought I'd have been offered a sweep by this stage, but I think I'll ask on wednesday and see what they say. I had a different doctor at my last appointment on wednesday just gone and it took her about 20 mins to get my blood pressure (she was very scatty), and then about another 20 to find baby's heartbeat (despite me pointing out exactly where it has been for the last 3 weeks!) so I didn't ask her any other questions, just wanted to get out of there!

I don't really fancy eating 7 pineapples in one session, I suspect the side effects could be ....... messy. I'm used to reasonably spicy food, so I reckon I'd have to go for something like a vindaloo so, and I'm not sure if I could tolerate that! I smelled one my Dad cooked a couple of weeks ago and it was like being maced, god knows what eating it is like!!

Is there anything to be said for having a roll in the hay? Logistically I can't imagine how I'll do it considering I'm as big as a house, but if I thought it would get the baby moving I'd certainly give it a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Pineapple juice -pulped is a good option so that you're not physically having to eat 7 pineapples.
    If you're used to spicy foods then a phal or vindaloo would be your only option there. Personally I wouldn't because I'd vomit with the heartburn.
    Sex could work but you need to be pleasured (!) and im told the semen is a stimulant for the uterus.
    You can also go for prolonged nipple stimulation - it's approx 30 mins at a go with hourly breaks in between.
    Castor oil works but I really really wouldn't. You will be as sick as a dog & it's risky for the baby.
    Keep as mobile as you can. Motion, particularly stepping up & down is good for progression so get acquainted with your stairs!

• Advertisement

Oh my god. I switched on the Late Late to see if David Norris was on and Paddy Doherty (the Traveller who won Celebrity Big Brother) was on talking about his son's death and described something which I can't repeat and out of nowhere I projectile vomited all over the coffee table. Hubbie just looked at me in disbelief and took into hysterics laughing. And left me to clean it up. I think I hate him.

Advertisement