Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I've read that they now believe that there is some hormone in semen which *might* induce contractions. Also, evidence suggests that if you manage to climax, it will stimulate the release of oxytocin which in turn blah blah.

It's all maybe and might and a dash of superstition though, with some vague sciency stuff thrown in.

But basically, no sex unless you both enjoy yerselves :)
    Toots wrote:
    Is there anything to be said for having a roll in the hay? Logistically I can't imagine how I'll do it considering I'm as big as a house, but if I thought it would get the baby moving I'd certainly give it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

apologies in advance for the rant--

i am now broke due to paying off end of baby stuff---- fun fun fun
    i have also pulled muscles in my back due to having a cough for past 2 weeks
    i just feel crap- got my housework done today and all my small bits but my partner was meant to help me finish off the FINAL baby list yet - he had to work the weekend to meet a deadline & make up overtime to take more time when baby arrives........

he has been saying he will help for past 4 weeks! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i also forgot to mention he found time to watch the rugby this morning and told me to shut up because the commentary was on......... i feel like slapping him

i am just fed up

stupid hormones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

foxinsocks wrote: »
    I've read that they now believe that there is some hormone in semen which *might* induce contractions. Also, evidence suggests that if you manage to climax, it will stimulate the release of oxytocin which in turn blah blah.

It's all maybe and might and a dash of superstition though, with some vague sciency stuff thrown in.

But basically, no sex unless you both enjoy yerselves :)

Apparently, you have to ingest the semen, take what you will from that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

January wrote: »
    Apparently, you have to ingest the semen, take what you will from that :P

I think i'd rather go 2 weeks over :pac::pac::pac:

I was trying to turn over in bed last night and i pulled something in my tummy. . up beside my sore ribs . . :( now it hurts to breathe. .

Cat my daughter did the same thing on wed night but the smell of it made me start to gag. . had to wait it out in the kitchen til my husband came home to clean it up. . :D and then 2 nights later he got the bug and spent the night in the bathroom. . i didn't feel guilty in the slightest. .. i dont' get a huge amount of sympathy til i'm in labour and about to deliver and then i'm amazing for about 3 hours after and then it's back to normal :rolleyes:

And on the late baby. . as a seasoned overdue to the point of bursting.. i have bad news. . what starts labour is actually a hormone that the baby releases to trigger the contractions to starts .. this is the same hormone that's given when they induce you. . so you just have to wait til baby is ready or til s/he's evicted . . .. sorry.. i know how frustrating it is to reach the due date after 8 months waiting and then you're in no man's land with no idea what's going to happen. . every day, every twinge is hoping labour is starting .. :rolleyes: i nearly killed myself with labour starting recipes before my first. . all i did was give myself a bad dose of the runs :eek: :o i have learned to be a little more patient :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Was full, saw cake on telly.. Had to have cake - had no cake in - got into frenzy and baked muffins - ate half a muffin - now want to puke - and completely exhausted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Having a roll in the hay to induce labour - apparently it does work.

The first step in inducing you (in the hospital) is to insert a prostaglandin pessary/gel up against your cervix. Apparently the same hormone is in semen.

It won't trigger contractions but it will "ripen" the cervix and make it more likely to open.

Apparently having an orgasm yourself can make contractions happen.

So... A + B = ................?

Good luck!

Now I want a muffin too :(
    dublinlady wrote: »
    Was full, saw cake on telly.. Had to have cake - had no cake in - got into frenzy and baked muffins - ate half a muffin - now want to puke - and completely exhausted!

Had to listen to my husband throw up all thurs night. . then he wouldn't listen to me and went into work on friday.. just prolonged the agony and was sick all day yesterday . . but it wasn't the puking it was the runs. .. and everytime he burped it just stank. . i had to leave the house cos i have a hyper sense of smell.. oh jesus it was disgusting... i just couldn't manage to feel sorry for him :eek: he's a big dope and next time i know he'll listen to me :rolleyes:
    maybe

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well it turns out a roll in the hay wasn't necessary! Went into labour spontaneously on Friday night, and had a beautiful son at 5.45pm on Sunday! Thrilled to bits!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^ Congrats Toots.

Ok, so I'm not a woman, but I have to moan. Why did I only find out yesterday about the feeding frenzy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congrats Toots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Brilliant news Toots, congratulations! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Toots* wrote: »
    Well it turns out a roll in the hay wasn't necessary! Went into labour spontaneously on Friday night, and had a beautiful son at 5.45pm on Sunday! Thrilled to bits!!
    Congrats Toots & welcome to your wee man!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

went to the doc today. wasnt my one as he isnt on today just a drop in clinic. he said i prob have a mild viral infection and gave me vitamnin c to take. any one ever heard of taking vitamin c?

back to my own doc next tue so will mention it to him aswell. felt so crappy last night and crappy today but not as bad as yesterday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

went to the doc today. wasnt my one as he isnt on today just a drop in clinic. he said i prob have a mild viral infection and gave me vitamnin c to take. any one ever heard of taking vitamin c?

back to my own doc next tue so will mention it to him aswell. felt so crappy last night and crappy today but not as bad as yesterday :(

Vit c meant to be v. Good for immune system!! At least you dint need to worry about it in pregnancy as it's a type of vitamin that your body will just excrete if it doesn't need it as it's not fat soluble - so it can only do good :)

If one more person comments on my bump I'm going to brain them :mad:

:p

slap em hannibal

i know people seem to think its ok for them to comment on size....................
    i am carrying small and people are making me paranoid about how small i am for almost 35 weeks

:p

slap em hannibal

i know people seem to think its ok for them to comment on size....................
    i am carrying small and people are making me paranoid about how small i am for almost 35 weeks

haahaa I wonder would I get away with physical assault in my condition? That's another thing I hate...'you can't do that in your condition'....I don't have a condition, I'm pregnant :mad: Oh my I am in a mood today :D

You're at the same stage as me it seems...I'll be 35 weeks on Sat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

dublinlady wrote: »
    Vit c meant to be v. Good for immune system!! At least you dint need to worry about it in pregnancy as it's a type of vitamin that your body will just excrete if it doesn't need it as it's not fat soluble - so it can only do good :)

thanks dublinlady thats reassuring.:) coudlnt find info on internet bout it. prob wasnt using the right words! baby moving around all night prob due to the bowels gurgling!!

hope you start feeling your fluttering soon. its a mad experience and you will want to feel it all the time!:D

haahaa I wonder would I get away with physical assault in my condition? That's another thing I hate...'you can't do that in your condition'....I don't have a condition, I'm pregnant :mad: Oh my I am in a mood today :D

You're at the same stage as me it seems...I'll be 35 weeks on Sat :D

oh my gp used that line last week, he got a glare( If looks could kill)......... One of my relatives thought me photocopying a few sheets for him was inappropriate in my condition!

we are bang on with dates hannibal- i am 35 weeks on saturday as well (bump buddies) :), its after flying................

• Advertisement

oh my gp used that line last week, he got a glare( If looks could kill)......... One of my relatives thought me photocopying a few sheets for him was inappropriate in my condition!

we are bang on with dates hannibal- i am 35 weeks on saturday as well (bump buddies) :), its after flying................

haahaa speaking of photocopying...have you noticed how far away you're standing from the copier now with the bump in the way? :D If he thought it was that inappropriate, could he not do it himself? ;)

I know it's flying in isn't it! I think it's having the pregnancy all int he one year that's speeding things up, I can't believe there's only 5 weeks to go :eek:

haahaa speaking of photocopying...have you noticed how far away you're standing from the copier now with the bump in the way? :D If he thought it was that inappropriate, could he not do it himself? ;)

I know it's flying in isn't it! I think it's having the pregnancy all int he one year that's speeding things up, I can't believe there's only 5 weeks to go :eek:

yeah my part time job( 2 hrs a week) is doing accounting...... i cant carry files properly anymore or even sitting at pc is becoming more awkward.
    my boss jokes about 3 of us not fitting in office :rolleyes:

well my uncle is a techo phobe, he doesnt even own a mobile phone so no chance of him doing it!

i am loving it well (80% of time), getting a few annoying symptoms since I finished full time work- i think my body now has time to be unwell so hope it doesnt last for next 5 weeks
    cant wait to meet lo though
    in saying that I think my boyfriend is even more looking forward to it than I am

yeah my part time job( 2 hrs a week) is doing accounting...... i cant carry files properly anymore or even sitting at pc is becoming more awkward.
    my boss jokes about 3 of us not fitting in office :rolleyes:

well my uncle is a techo phobe, he doesnt even own a mobile phone so no chance of him doing it!

i am loving it well (80% of time), getting a few annoying symptoms since I finished full time work- i think my body now has time to be unwell so hope it doesnt last for next 5 weeks
    cant wait to meet lo though
    in saying that I think my boyfriend is even more looking forward to it than I am

haahaa my boss has to walk behind me to get to the stationery so I have to scoosh my chair in...lately it's been a bit of a tight squeeze lol.

Yeah the aul body has a mind of it's own doesn't it, you'd probably fair better if you worked full time you'd have less time to notice the symptoms. I'm on 3 days and am starting to drag myself around at this stage :D

I know I can't wait to meet the little fella...I have a little boy as well so I'm really looking forward to seeing his reaction to it all. Mostly I just want the birth part over and done with ;)

Agreed, I actually had someone tell me they didn't realise and couldn't even tell that I was pregnant... at 7 weeks to go... NO ONE is this shape just from being fat! I'm only 'tidy' because the baby is still breach though, I'm hoping once he or she decides to be the right way up that I'll be bumpier!

Annoyingly though, the 'tidy' bump coupled with the weight loss due to the diabetic diet now means that I can't wear the maternity trousers I bought and spent an hour taking up. They just won't stay up on me :/

foxinsocks wrote: »

Agreed, I actually had someone tell me they didn't realise and couldn't even tell that I was pregnant... at 7 weeks to go... NO ONE is this shape just from being fat! I'm only 'tidy' because the baby is still breach though, I'm hoping once he or she decides to be the right way up that I'll be bumpier!

Annoyingly though, the 'tidy' bump coupled with the weight loss due to the diabetic diet now means that I can't wear the maternity trousers I bought and spent an hour taking up. They just won't stay up on me :/
    Thank goodness its not just me with this problem! I've taken to wearing ridiculous tight tops so as to make my bump stick out a bit. It's not that I really want the attention I'm just tired of telling people that I've 6/7 weeks to go and dealing with the incredulous looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Haha, this must be the place for all the "neat" bumps. I've never heard the word neat so many times in my life. I'm 36 + 3 & people nearly keel over when I tell them I've less than 4 weeks to go.

My moan for the day is my itchy feet. I've a rash all over them & they're driving me mad. Just after cleaning the footrest in work & my feet and am now sitting here in my bare feet (in an office of 5 people!).

Was with the doc yesterday for my 36 week check & he said it was a form of dermatitis - must be because my feet are so hot now. Can't wait to get a minute & get my prescription filled. The air seems to be easing the itch at least.

I feel crappy still- achy limbs etc and waiting in results of urine sample until next week on to of feeling wrecked.
    I have my normal few hours in day- then the achiness starts............. i am not able.I am getting crankier too- i am really feeling for my partner right now

I also had my first antenatal class last night- so graphic and scary.
    I am now counting down the days til this baby arrives.

So I am feeling crap on top of being scared out of my wits at the idea of labour. I wasnt scared until last night.

I know its all worth it in end........................ just getting tougher

The only piece of advice ican give you about labour is to remember it's only going to be a few hours, yes it'll hurt but that's why they have pain relief and when you hold your baby at the end you really do forget all about it (until you get pregnant again and it all comes back to you :D)
    You're being told other peoples stories and you can't judge the level of pain for yourself.. you have nothing to measure it against. Stay calm, relax and know that you will cope and if you don't who's going to say anything to you:D
    Don't build it up in you head.. the baby has to come out and your body knows what to do ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    The only piece of advice ican give you about labour is to remember it's only going to be a few hours, yes it'll hurt but that's why they have pain relief and when you hold your baby at the end you really do forget all about it (until you get pregnant again and it all comes back to you :D)
    You're being told other peoples stories and you can't judge the level of pain for yourself.. you have nothing to measure it against. Stay calm, relax and know that you will cope and if you don't who's going to say anything to you:D
    Don't build it up in you head.. the baby has to come out and your body knows what to do ;)

Great advice. On my first I just kept on chanting to myself through every contraction. "this will pass, this will pass". And they did! Now I know I can do it myself without an epidural I've much less fear this time around.

I think a huge part of being pregnant on your first child is dealing with the fear of childbirth. If you're into that sort of thing a hypnobirthing course is a good idea but if it's not your thing then don't waste your money.

• Advertisement

Eoineo wrote: »
    Great advice. On my first I just kept on chanting to myself through every contraction. "this will pass, this will pass". And they did! Now I know I can do it myself without an epidural I've much less fear this time around.

I think a huge part of being pregnant on your first child is dealing with the fear of childbirth. If you're into that sort of thing a hypnobirthing course is a good idea but if it's not your thing then don't waste your money.

i got some hyno therapy torrents - its great for breathing but I find it hard to totally relax with it

Advertisement