Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which programming languages?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi!

For all those in the programming business, what are the best languages to learn today? Im out of college with 3 years having done a Computer Services Management Bs, which up until the finally year was programming intensive and have been stuck in the helpdesk support roles since. As I had thought at the time, I needed to get my feet wet in support before being considered for a software position.
    Now Im looking to get back to what I loved best, but since Java, C++, OOP, VB and the like are most probably relects of history now, Id be interested in diving into something more related to what the market wants today.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Quick Edit, Ive had a snoop around the roles available on jobs.ie etc, but employers seem to be trigger happy just listing specific languages etc.
    I had this in Computers and Tech until "Ethernet" pointed me in this direction.
    Oisin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

As I had thought at the time, I needed to get my feet wet in support before being considered for a software position.

You don't, but it'll do no harm. Helpdesk support doesn't really have anything to do with software development, but at least you were working in an office and team-based environment for the interim, which is probably better than having a hole in your CV, or spending it cleaning floors or some such.
    Now Im looking to get back to what I loved best, but since Java, C++, OOP, VB and the like are most probably relects of history now, Id be interested in diving into something more related to what the market wants today.

That's not really how it works - all 3 of the languages you mention are in extensive use today (OOP isn't a language, it's a methodology) - Java especially. C for instance is still pretty commonly used (in embedded development in particular), and it first came on the scene over 30 years ago. New and improved tech certainly comes along from time to time, but the older stuff usually doesn't stop getting used for a long time. A language called COBOL was spec'd in the late 50's/early 60's, and is still being worked with quite a bit today (for legacy support, granted).

Other popular languages nowadays might include C# or PHP, but one or more of the three you already mention should do fine for getting work, once you're reasonably good (and preferably experienced) at developing software with them. Java and C++ will probably give you the widest options, they cover a very wide array of the software industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

I'd also add SQL (and relational database theory) to any list of languages for employment...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

.Net

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

3DataModem wrote: »
    .Net

Not a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Yeah, SQL is still very widespread, whether it be in the form of oracle or ms sql server

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

C/C++ will be around forever at any rate.

C for systems programming/embedded/low level bit shifting/kernel
    development and C++ for anything performance bound.

.NET will probably be dead in a few years time, only to be replaced
    by the hip new junk Microsoft decides to kick out the door.

Try to learn development tools that will still be around in 20 years time.
    Vendor specific langs will lock you into their way of thinking.

I say Python, Ruby, or Perl would be a good starting point.
    It's up to you though, I don't know your situation too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Naikon wrote: »
    .NET will probably be dead in a few years time, only to be replaced
    by the hip new junk Microsoft decides to kick out the door.

What makes you say that, do you have any experience of .Net or is this just another *M$ are Evil* rant? Microsoft have put a lot of their future on .Net and having worked with it myself I can say it's an excellent framework - far from something *hip* that can be easily replaced. If what you're saying is true, then all those billions of lines of code written for .Net by all those seasoned development houses simply wouldn't have been.

The skills learned coding for the .Net framework apply to many scenarios not just the microsoft ones. Code is simply the bricks and mortar of software development, doesn't matter what language your coding in, same development skills apply across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Evil Phil wrote: »
    What makes you say that, do you have any experience of .Net or is this just another *M$ are Evil* rant? Microsoft have put a lot of their future on .Net and having worked with it myself I can say it's an excellent framework - far from something *hip* that can be easily replaced. If what you're saying is true, then all those billions of lines of code written for .Net by all those seasoned development houses simply wouldn't have been.

The skills learned coding for the .Net framework apply to many scenarios not just the microsoft ones. Code is simply the bricks and mortar of software development, doesn't matter what language your coding in, same development skills apply across the board.

Fair enough, I don't have any .NET experience and I don't want to limit myself to one platform. .NET is probably the best solution for Microsoft machines, but the platform is tied only to Windows machines which is not impressive.
    Mono is catching up, but it will never be able to replicate the .NET framework 100%. What if Microsoft stopped supporting the platform? Dead as a doornail. A C89 conforming C compiler will compile code written a long time ago,
    provided the code is ISO C90 conformant. The data type sizes and byte endianness might have an effect in some cases granted, but it's far better than having to port. If you depend on one specific compiler, and libraries that only
    work on one closed platform, you end up these types of situations. It may not be likely anytime soon, but there is nothing stopping MS from dropping .NET at any stage.

ISO published standards aren't going to go away simply because they are not profitable for a company anymore. The same can't be said of most Microsoft frameworks.
    "Code is simply the bricks and mortar of software development" - True, but it makes financial sense to keep the codebase abstracted from the OS as much as possible.
    This can potentially save alot of money if you need a piece of software to run on more than one platform. Generally, porting efforts should be minimised to reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Naikon wrote: »
    I say Python, Ruby, or Perl would be a good starting point.
    It's up to you though, I don't know your situation too well.

From what I can gather from the replies, Id imagine these might be some worth looking into. Ive gotten a lot of info on doing a CISCO cert that I didnt finish in college and maybe next year look at a SUN cert (1350 euro though!:eek:)

The experience problem is my biggest issue though. Of course I have all the projects and lab work from college but that has never gotten me a call back for interviews. Does anyone have any advise from how they started their careers? I know I should have done work experience in 3rd year but didnt have the option.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The experience problem is my biggest issue though. Of course I have all the projects and lab work from college but that has never gotten me a call back for interviews. Does anyone have any advise from how they started their careers? I know I should have done work experience in 3rd year but didnt have the option.:(

I built websites for the projects I done and completed, I put them up live on the internet and attached my cv in the downloads section of each website.

I didn't think much about it really but one day I got an email from the head of a software company who came across my website while searching for material, from that I got a phone interview then face to face interview and then offered the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

That sounds like a really good success story.
    Id imagine though, if I was to put together a website it wouldnt be good enough to attract anyone unfortunetly! If you still have the sites up, stick a link in. Im bored and would browse threw just about anything right now! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

That sounds like a really good success story.
    Id imagine though, if I was to put together a website it wouldnt be good enough to attract anyone unfortunetly! If you still have the sites up, stick a link in. Im bored and would browse threw just about anything right now! ha

this is the one that got me the job - http://www.donalrafferty.com

I haven't bothered renewing the domains on the others as I had planned to put it all into one site but the others were on a carzone type website built using jdeveloper (jsp's and java server faces), a rich internet application website built ust google web toolkit and last one detailing my interest and experience in project management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The first thing you need to do is get your foot in the door somewhere. You would need to be very lucky to get a dev job straight away in todays market. Once you get in, you can adapt to their working environment. As for language, you would be amazed with the amount of companies out there that have oodles of applications written in classic asp and vb6. However, having a strong knowledge of the likes of C# would always be an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Everywhere I've ever worked has used Microsoft technologies, but I assume a Java head would have the reverse experience. But the following might be bit more useful then anecdotal stories.

http://www.devtopics.com/software-developer-salaries/
    http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
    http://www.devtopics.com/most-popular-programming-languages/
    http://lui.arbingersys.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

“Knock, knock.”
    “Who’s there?”
    very long pause….
    “Java.”

http://www.devtopics.com/best-programming-jokes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Martinog

draffodx wrote: »
    this is the one that got me the job - http://www.donalrafferty.com

I haven't bothered renewing the domains on the others as I had planned to put it all into one site but the others were on a carzone type website built using jdeveloper (jsp's and java server faces), a rich internet application website built ust google web toolkit and last one detailing my interest and experience in project management

Currently reading your litrature review. Liking it.:pac:
    Also downloaded the source to your website,i love how simple it is.

Advertisement