Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Green Line Extension to Cherrywood

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Plasmoid wrote: »
    Seen a good few Luas trams go past. They always seem to either first thing after rush hour in the morning, or at midnight.

2 Just wen't out past me at Central Park, and 1 has come back since.

They must have some night owls for test drivers.

Here's some photos since none have been posted.

th_P1030451.jpg

th_P1030449.jpg

Need to get a night photo. They go past all hazards blazing.

Wow! You actually live in one of those unoccupied apartments the Luas twists around :eek:!

Nice pics - I agree with the person above who says they should have demolished that block of apartments (which were built months before the Luas extension was agreed - that's planning for ye).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Wow! You actually live in one of those unoccupied apartments the Luas twists around :eek:!

Nice pics - I agree with the person above who says they should have demolished that block of apartments (which were built months before the Luas extension was agreed - that's planning for ye).
    When were they built exactly? The Luas Green Line was planned (originally as Metro) to run along its current alignment as far back as 1999. It appeared in A Platform For Change transport document.

So unless the flats were built before 1999 then we got ourselves a serious SNAFU.

They were built circa 2001 or 2002. No earlier.

I've just checked my 2002 (Special Olympics) edition of the Dublin Atlas and the apartments are not there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wild Bill wrote: »
    They were built circa 2001 or 2002. No earlier.

I've just checked my 2002 (Special Olympics) edition of the Dublin Atlas and the apartments are not there.
    Opened in 2001/2002; construction started a year before; PP sought/granted another year before that, putting it at 1999: the same year Platform for Change decided the land was needed for the railway. Sounds like PFC was a tiny bit late. Pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Timetable for the Cherrywood extension is out now. Opening date given as October. No exact date given.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Are they seriously saying that despite building the thing out towards the M50/M11 junction there are no P&R facilities provided after Sandyford??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

So will you have to change to go the full length of the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

irishguy wrote: »

No.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Are they seriously saying that despite building the thing out towards the M50/M11 junction there are no P&R facilities provided after Sandyford??
    I'm around 80% sure there's P&R at Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm around 80% sure there's P&R at Cherrywood.

P&R will be at Carrickmines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

irishguy wrote: »

No - trams will operate either from St Stephen's Green to Sandyford or from St Stephen's Green to Bride's Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Is there any room/access for P&R at Brennanstown in the event that the opening day ones are swamped and the option to open the stop was put back on the table?

Major News Announcement

I saw my first Luas on the Ballyogan Road last week and since then I have seen several more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Congrats Bill

They've been running them every 20 minutes the last couple of days (except sunday)

Not sure wheter they are trying to break the trams or set new speed records.

It's quite funny when there are traffice jams at the Sandyford stop. The tend to leave the trams parked up after a test run and go get a cuppa or something. The other day there were 2 trams parked up, and a 3rd waiting at Stillorglan and the 1 driver around had to scatter to move them to make way :D

And now I can exclusively announce......ba ba ba boom! The Green Line Extension is opening at 11am. Saturday the 16th of October!

http://www.rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/LuasCherrywoodLaunchEvents.aspx

:D

(And they said it would never happen!)

Here's one I took earlier, back in June, before the trams came!

IMG_2976-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why has these extensions (including the C1 line) been less disruptive than the original 2 luas lines?
    • Out of sight, out of mind? The majority of people don't see the work everyday or the week.
    • Out of town? It is because they are further out and so cause less disruption (C1 isn't really that far out).
    • The RPA and developers have learnt from pass mistakes?
    • The operation of the two lines exciting meant the people where still able to use the service unlike the original construction where nothing appeared to be happening for years?
    • People have seen what a success the 2 line have been and are more patient with the extension works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Primarily they are not actually being built on major arteries. That's the main reason - they are all off-street or on a relatively minor street (Mayor Street).

Why has these extensions (including the C1 line) been less disruptive than the original 2 luas lines?
    • Out of sight, out of mind? The majority of people don't see the work everyday or the week.
    • Out of town? It is because they are further out and so cause less disruption (C1 isn't really that far out).
    • The RPA and developers have learnt from pass mistakes?
    • The operation of the two lines exciting meant the people where still able to use the service unlike the original construction where nothing appeared to be happening for years?
    • People have seen what a success the 2 line have been and are more patient with the extension works?

Well, in the case of the green line extension to Cherrywood it passes through an area that has been the scene on non-stop construction for the past 20 years. People are used to seeing the benefits after a bit of inconvenience.

Because it is mostly a new modern area the Nimbyism that grips most of Ireland hasn't had time to develop in Sandyford and surrounding areas.

And of course once you pass Carrickmines and get back onto the old Harcourt St line there are only cows to be affected. And they don't seem to care one way or another. :cool:

The Leopardstown Valley stop on the Ballyogan Road is ready to go!

Saturday morning 11am. Be there or be square! :cool:

IMG_3287-1.jpg

IMG_3284-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some people seem pretty keen. :D

• Advertisement

Nice pics, I'm really looking foward to the opening of the Green Line extension and would go up for the day but it clashes with Munster vs Toulon at Thomond Park. :D
    I gave a fond mention to the late Seamus Brennan for his contribution to the Luas projects on yet another blog that I'm working on. Despite all his faults, apart from being in FF, he was one of the most pro-rail transport ministers that this country has ever seen.

0907_brennan_l_190384t.jpg

http://luasland.blogspot.com/ - currently hidden except for this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Whoever decided not to link the Luas to UCD is far and beyond the stupidest human being on the planet.

Whoever decided not to link the Luas to UCD is far and beyond the stupidest human being on the planet.

How would that have been done?

Stupider than the human being who decided not to link the two lines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

How would that have been done?

I'm not really a Civil Engineer so I can't post my powerpoint display and sketches illustrating my ideas for this project...but the money they would've made from it is quite absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Nice pics, I'm really looking foward to the opening of the Green Line extension and would go up for the day but it clashes with Munster vs Toulon at Thomond Park. :D
    I gave a fond mention to the late Seamus Brennan for his contribution to the Luas projects on yet another blog that I'm working on. Despite all his faults, apart from being in FF, he was one of the most pro-rail transport ministers that this country has ever seen.

0907_brennan_l_190384t.jpg

http://luasland.blogspot.com/ - currently hidden except for this page.

Amen to that, and I'm certainly no Fianna Failer. Without Seamus Brennan I doubt if Luas and in particular the Harcourt Street Line would have happened in the timescale that they did.

Stupider than the human being who decided not to link the two lines ?

An old chestnut - what would have been the point of linking the two lines? Far better to have extended the Green Line to Connolly via Pearse which would have attracted lots of extra traffic to Luas. The obsession with linking the two tram routes - still being persisted with - is nonsense as there will be no through running and even if there were few would take the long way round from A to B. All Dublin Bus routes do not terminate on the same street in the City Centre.

All Dublin Bus routes do not terminate on the same street in the City Centre.

No but it appears the majority have to at least run through the same street ;).

As for the lines I was thinking more in terms of passenger interchange not inter-movement of trams so you idea would be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

An old chestnut - what would have been the point of linking the two lines? Far better to have extended the Green Line to Connolly via Pearse which would have attracted lots of extra traffic to Luas. The obsession with linking the two tram routes - still being persisted with - is nonsense as there will be no through running and even if there were few would take the long way round from A to B. All Dublin Bus routes do not terminate on the same street in the City Centre.

Sorry JD I have to disagree with that.

I don't believe the non linking of the red and green lines is an old chestnut. It is a blatant example of poor planning that came from poor governance and potential nimbyism. It was abandoned on the basis of a real old chestnut - the conversion of the green line to a metro.

Of course if MN is built you get your link up of sorts. But this should never take away from the fact that leaving these lines isolated from each other was reckless. For a start it would have provided southside access to Connolly and Heuston without a trek across town by foot, taxi or bus. It would have allowed easier public transport access across the city opening up many potential commutes that may already exist and are done by car.

The link up wasn't built because it was fudged after the clamour of discontent from business interests and not because it was a bad idea. Bertie Ahern in opposition is famed for screaming across the Dail that if he was in Government, the streets wouldn't be dug up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭legaleagle10

I agree timeToShine...also...Does anyone know if the new luas line goes to Stephen's green directly or does it involve switching trams at Sandyford to get into town... should be a complete link up i think

thanks

Advertisement