Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Green Line Extension to Cherrywood

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I agree timeToShine...also...Does anyone know if the new luas line goes to Stephen's green directly or does it involve switching trams at Sandyford to get into town... should be a complete link up i think

thanks

Straight through to St.Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I agree timeToShine...also...Does anyone know if the new luas line goes to Stephen's green directly or does it involve switching trams at Sandyford to get into town... should be a complete link up i think

thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67754551&postcount=76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭legaleagle10

thanks JD - will be using it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Whoever decided not to link the Luas to UCD is far and beyond the stupidest human being on the planet.
    You could just as easily say UCD should have built along the Harcourt Street line. Of course, in the 60s trains and trams were SO OVER MAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

dowlingm wrote: »
    You could just as easily say UCD should have built along the Harcourt Street line. Of course, in the 60s trains and trams were SO OVER MAN.
    Trams where so over by the 1930. At least according to Royal Commission on Transport, 1930

http://www.tara.tcd.ie/bitstream/2262/3942/1/jssisiVolXVIXPart3_136158.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Whoever decided not to link the Luas to UCD is far and beyond the stupidest human being on the planet.

Luas was linked to UCD, get off at the POD, and through Iveagh Gardens. there ya are.

Obviously not an engineer.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why?

UCD is very well served by buses already, not to mention the QBC. where would you have routed the Luas to connect it to Belfield in a reasonable manner? Places like Sandyford needed it more as they have **** all useful buses.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be but I don't really see how it could be done suitably given the routing of the old Harcourt line that it by and large follows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

He already admitted to not being an engineer. Tbh, I would have expected at least a crayon-ing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I gave a fond mention to the late Seamus Brennan for his contribution to the Luas projects on yet another blog that I'm working on. Despite all his faults, apart from being in FF, he was one of the most pro-rail transport ministers that this country has ever seen.

0907_brennan_l_190384t.jpg

http://luasland.blogspot.com/ - currently hidden except for this page.

Amen to that! I knew him too (my constituency) - he was way too reflective and practical and "non-stroke pulling" to be in FF when you think about it. Respect to the man. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Interestingly, Seamus Brennan never recovered (politically) after he proposed the end of CIE. I'll never ever forget his demeanor in Dail Eireann when the cabinet was reshuffled and he was out of transport. Having met the man in his capacity as transport minister, he was adamant that real change was needed in relation to CIE and he had a genuine interest and excitement with the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1016/breaking3.html

I know people said there wasn't much development along the new extension, but the photo in the Times is shocking. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

At least for once in this country we can say that we've built the infrastructure before the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    At least for once in this country we can say that we've built the infrastructure before the development.

decades before the development probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The complete lack of any P & R facilities south of Sandyford on this route really is nonsensical. It really does diminish the potential benefits of this route over the bus.

• When construction starts again, nowhere except the area between the M50 and the N11 should be considered.
    • "Racecourse" and "Brennanstown" do not need to exist, even other than the obvious reasons. "Cherrywood" and "Bride's Glen" could have been merged into one stop closer to the R118.

I got my free travel on it yesterday!

Totally packed all day in each direction and again today they were running in convoy along the Ballyogan Road with people jammed in like on those Japanese trains where they need pushers to get the punters on board.

Amazing what folk will do when something is free.:D

Will be interesting to see how it works out from tomorrow when the ticket machines kick-in. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its 22 mins from Sandyford (20 from Stillorgan stop) to St Stephens green. What is the time it takes from Sandyford to Brides Glen now.

40 minutes they say. If they didn't virtually stop at the two ghost stops they could shave a couple off that :mad:.

Anyway, the crack was mighty at Brides Glen (the terminal stop in Cherrywood).

IMG_3308-1.jpg

IMG_3315-1.jpg

IMG_3314-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Wild Bill wrote: »
    IMG_3314-1.jpg

LMAO, the one in the red has her tumb and index finger in the L position. Yes, you are a loser.

• Advertisement

Then I guess this is even worse :(.

I turned around at Dundrum and decided to take a pic of this young lady while waiting......

IMG_3323-1.jpg

Note: They appear to be renovating the old station house at Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Oh I dunno, I think I'm in love again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

Not really.

Had things not gone tits up financially, the apartments would be up by now. Originally, the Green line extension was following development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

did anybody notice if there is good access from Ballyogan Wood to the Park Retail? Is there a clear pedestrian walkway?

Somebody mentioned that to me that there is no information about how to get to the Park in Carrickmines from the Luas. I'd have thought they would make advertising this a priority, as the only other way of getting there is by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Aard wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned that to me that there is no information about how to get to the Park in Carrickmines from the Luas. I'd have thought they would make advertising this a priority, as the only other way of getting there is by car.

Not true - Dublin Bus route 63 now serves the Retail Park from Dun Laoghaire.

Oops, should have specified - I meant the only direct way from town direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

unknown13 wrote: »
    LMAO, the one in the red has her tumb and index finger in the L position. Yes, you are a loser.
    Seems to be not the only one caught out that day. Here's a photo from The Wanderer.

Six weeks later.....
    IMG_3468-1.jpg
    Leopardstown Valley stop at noon on Wed 1st December.

(Luas working no prob with nearly a foot of snow falling in the area over the past week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Trying to work out if RTE were taking the piss or not with this one -
    2055 There are reports that a number of people have been seriously injured in a tram crash in Weatherfield.

2100 Police say the tram crash that has left a number of people badly injured in Weatherfield was not weather related.

2102 Oops ... Sorry about that. We got a bit carried away watching Coronation Street.

Advertisement