Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PNY GEFORCE 8600 GT 512MB

Options
  • 24-12-2009 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Its €30 on ebay, worth it for a temp semi-gaming card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

nVid wrote: »
    Its €30 on ebay, worth it for a temp semi-gaming card?

€30 is decent enough for this card but the xfx 8600gt slightly out-does it but not that much. still a good price.

So what can we conclude about the PNY 8600GT 512MB video card? It clearly showed that it's a mainstream card that was run-of-the-mill. It did do marginally better than the Gigabyte 8600GT, but it wasn’t quite as good as the XFX 8600GT Fatal1ty. I was happy to see that the card didn’t buckle at high resolutions because I usually play my games at 1680x1050. The PNY 8600GT was easy to install and setup, so that was a plus. The card supports the new DirectX 10 technology and in addition, plays graphically challenging games such as BioShock at playable frame rates. However, I wouldn’t recommend the PNY card over the Gigabyte 8600GT because the price is over $70 more expensive and it’s only slightly better than the Gigabyte card. The price is what holds this PNY 8600GT back but if you can hunt around to find a price that is more reasonable than the one listed on PNY’s website, you won’t regret this mainstream video card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Wait, a 8600GT achieve playability in any 3D game at 1650*1080?!

Sure - so long as you're talking about games prior to 2000 :P

Solitaire wrote: »
    Wait, a 8600GT achieve playability in any 3D game at 1650*1080?!

Sure - so long as you're talking about games prior to 2000 :P

well it does all depend on your cpu specs and ram maybe it was tested on a core 2 quad 8gb ram. well if your psu has two 6 pin power dongles i would wait till january and pick up a 8800gtx or 9800gtx+ you might get them reasonable but if you have less than a dualcore you will only have a bottleneck. i've being using a 9800gtx+ now for just over a year on a E4600 core 2 duo overclocked and it plays all games maxed crysis needs to be lowered to 1680x1050 though. just a tought but the 9800gtx+ is a good one like i said though the psu has to be at least 400 watts. but for 30 euro that card you are thinking of is not bad but you will probably have to run most games on 1024x768 with medium settings imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont even bother with zenno's suggestions the 9800 is a piece of crap these days. You can get a 4XXX/5XXX for next to nothing and its the same speed as 3 9800's in sli.

And to be honest the 8600gt is a piece of crap, it will not play any modern games at decent levels, unless you turn all the visuals down to the lowest and dont mind playing 800*600 ;)

You can grab a ati 4350 for 24euro here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434120

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

get a 4550 or 4650.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=575157
    mmm semi gaming goodness.
    /thread

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    Dont even bother with zenno's suggestions the 9800 is a piece of crap these days. You can get a 4XXX/5XXX for next to nothing and its the same speed as 3 9800's in sli.

And to be honest the 8600gt is a piece of crap, it will not play any modern games at decent levels, unless you turn all the visuals down to the lowest and dont mind playing 800*600 ;)

You can grab a ati 4350 for 24euro here:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434120

where did this person get his/her information. you are totally wrong with what your saying.

quote: the 9800 is a piece of crap these days.
    i was talking about the 9800gtx+ as plus. seems you don't understand the difference. and you say You can get a 4XXX/5XXX for next to nothing and its the same speed as 3 9800's in sli.
    where did you get that crazy information.

another thing if the 9800gtx+ is a piece of crap then how can i run all the latest games on max ingame settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 ? crysis maxed to very high ingame at 1680x1050 ? using and old e4600 core 2 duo overclocked to 3ghz. and 4gb ram. so obviously your information is flawed.

just keep in mind o.p that ANTI told you about this card which is less than impressive. the 4350 Gaming performance was less impressive. The HD 4350 maintained playable frame rates in Crysis, Call of Duty and Far Cry 2 at low settings, but those tests were the card's limit. If you're looking for more graphical power on a budget, the £39 GeForce 9500 GT is more convincing, but even that isn't a gamer's card.

In contrast, the HD 4350 is the ideal card for its primary purpose. It isn't for gaming,

wow crysis at 1680*1050 good man you fekinginternetsuperhero ! I can play it at 2560*1600 fully maxed out and using forced AA and AF.

Have a look at the below, the 9800gtx+ is so crap it dosen't even get on the list

19179.png

ggkthnxbai

QUOTE: by ANTI...wow crysis at 1680*1050 good man you fekinginternetsuperhero ! I can play it at 2560*1600 fully maxed out and using forced AA and AF.

i don't understand what your problem is here. this is not about what YOU are getting from your graphics card.
    this is about what the original poster wants. he is looking for a card for semi-gaming and i am trying to help this person with alternatives.

you are giving the o.p wrong and bad information.

Hes looking for a temp graphics card, i gave him a much better alternative then a ****ty 8600gt.

/thread

anti...I can play it at 2560*1600 fully maxed out and using forced AA and AF.
    well you must be running a very expensive card there that the o.p will probably not want as the price i'm sure is too expensive. and thats not even mentioning what cpu you are using as well to run it at that high a resolution. probably a quadcore more than likely.

crysis.jpg

the ati 4350 is not worth a crap it's ok for watching movies thats it terrible card for gaming. the 9800gtx+ does well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No you can't... not unless you're running a supercomputer in your basement. Or you have Detail set to Low. Or you think Crysis is some kind of slideshow app...

To be fair €30 isn't bad for a 8600GT, but its still a cack card for any gaming. Its better on average than a HD4350 and is decent compared to a HD4550 but neither of those is a gaming card. Its sole claim to fame is that its cheaper than a HD4650, which is pretty much the lowest-spec card you can use for any kind of practical gaming with contemporary titles. "Temp" cards are a bit of a waste as its pointless getting a card to keep you going if you can't game with it anyway :P

And despite the old and erroneous Crysis bench, HD4850 > 9800GTX+. But unless Anti's referring to a HD5850 or up maybe the "better than three of 'em!" comment is just a tad optimistic, low-end SLi scaling issues aside ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Solitaire wrote: »
    you think Crysis is some kind of slideshow app...

You mean it isn't? :confused:

is it time to post the "pwned" pic ?

Anti wrote: »
    is it time to post the "pwned" pic ?

pwned-verb.jpg

happy christmas all. have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

lol thread... just realized I haven't upgraded my gfx card in about 2 years. 7900GS for the win!

Feel like I've woken up in the future where gfx cards are all 2-slots wide and 10-feet long.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=518528 wtf :D

lol thread... just realized I haven't upgraded my gfx card in about 2 years. 7900GS for the win!

Feel like I've woken up in the future where gfx cards are all 2-slots wide and 10-feet long.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=518528 wtf :D

lol they sure are getting bigger thats for sure. thats one expensive card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3eO3DHj-8&feature=related

zenno wrote: »
    lol they sure are getting bigger thats for sure. thats one expensive card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3eO3DHj-8&feature=related
    Confusing video, but ok :pac:

While I'm on the subject, does anyone remember that joke picture from years ago, back when people were making fun of 3dfx for making bigger and bigger cards, someone did a piss-take photoshop job / ad for some mexican graphics-card-amundo 5000 or something... the last few times I've looked for it I've come away empty handed.

that tune is from the game morrowmind anyway couldnt find that one you were talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66twmBEMs0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Confusing video, but ok :pac:

While I'm on the subject, does anyone remember that joke picture from years ago, back when people were making fun of 3dfx for making bigger and bigger cards, someone did a piss-take photoshop job / ad for some mexican graphics-card-amundo 5000 or something... the last few times I've looked for it I've come away empty handed.

This one?

bitchin_fast_3d.jpg

supports electron microscopes/ light aircraft LOL

• Advertisement

ttm wrote: »
    This one?
    Yeah that's the one, cheers :D
    "It shouldn't work... but it does" roffle :D

Advertisement