Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics/astrophysics?

Options
  • 24-12-2009 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

hi everyone im currently on a year out ( i just did my leaving in 2009) and im deciding what i should put down on my CAO in secondary i loved physics and got a B1 in honours (i left out most of mechanics for the leaving) but im not great at maths i did pass and got an A2 i could have done honours but im not sure i would have did well anyway my question is if i go on to do physics or astrophysics in college( i love space and astronomy) is there a lot of maths involved? and the maths that is involved is it very difficult? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

hi everyone im currently on a year out ( i just did my leaving in 2009) and im deciding what i should put down on my CAO in secondary i loved physics and got a B1 in honours (i left out most of mechanics for the leaving) but im not great at maths i did pass and got an A2 i could have done honours but im not sure i would have did well anyway my question is if i go on to do physics or astrophysics in college( i love space and astronomy) is there a lot of maths involved? and the maths that is involved is it very difficult? thanks in advance!

There is a lot of difficult maths involved in physics. But its like everything - if you enjoy it, you'll do alright. Pick a course you want to do, as opposed to something you think you'll be good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Do science and pick the physics classes: if you like them, stick with it, if not you always have the choice of doing chemistry biology computers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Physics and maths in first year aren't that hard really (well I'm only here six months so I can't tell you about after Christmas), unless of course you want to take the advanced maths modules (Numbers & Function, Linear Alegbra & Geometry, Differential & Integral Calculus). It seem that you mightn't be allowed to take them because you did pass maths for the LC (you need at least a B3 in HL maths to do them). But I'm sure you will encounter some of the topics covered in the advanced maths modules in later years of the physics course. The advanced maths modules are only really needed if you are doing theoretical physics, mathematics science, joint maths degee or a degree in mathematical physics. I'm doing the ordinary maths now (Intoduction to Calculus (easy), Matrices & Vectors (not bad) and Calculus & Statistics (haven't done it yet)). You could have it far easier if you did Introduction to Mathematics (pointless module that does Junior Cert. maths) but that's only reserved for people who got lower than a C3 in HL maths or something like lower than a B2 in OL maths.

If you want to do the Physics with Astronomy and Space Science course (DN033) (basically Physics with Astrophysics) you might have an advantage over the omnibus science in that you will get to go on a Field Trip (yay :p) to the Canaries in 3rd year. However you can still come out with a physics with astronomy and space science degree from the omnibus science, as long as you take the core modules. Personally I would go for the omnibus science (DN008) (what I should have done) as it really does give you more flexibility. You might hate Astronomy in the first semester and then drop it very easily with the omnibus science, however that might be a little bit more difficult with DN033 seen as it's a core pre-registered module.

At the end of the day do what you want to do!!!!

(P.S., you said you left out the mechanics in the LC, well be prepared for a **** load of mechanics (I heard classical mechanics in later years of the course in very hard))

Advertisement