Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with my car?

• 24-12-2009 7:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Bought my car last august, it's a Peugeot 206 (2001) it recently passed the NCT and is valid until sept 2011. It is also insured until august and I have it taxed until the end of jan.

Anyway, I graduated from my masters last week but finished university in sept. Been applying for jobs ever since, long story short, couldn't get one.

I worked in Korea for 18months before doing my masters and the boss has asked me to come back, so I'm going to head out at the end of february. ( i will stay for 12months and come home again)

What will I do with my car? I figure it is pointless selling it, because it will be nice to have it for when I come home again and as I have already spent the money on it, it doesn't feel like I would be losing money by leaving it idle.

My brother is insured on it too, but has his own car although he would use it as a second car if I offered him it and he could let his wife use his (her mini cooper is northern reg and they are trying to offload it). Problem is he drives like a maniac and I don't want him to wreck it on me as I want it for when I come home.

I could prob leave it parked up somewhere in my girlfriends home as she has lots of space. (i'm guessing I would need someone to start it up regularly)

My g.f's sister would prob love the use of it too, she is only 18 though (has full license) but don't think she could afford to maintain it.

anyway, I have given some ideas about what I could do with it. What would be your advice to do? How could I insure it was in good condition for when I arrive home.

thanks for your help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I was in the same position about ten months ago, in the end I left the car with the parents. Since then they have taken care of it.

The only way to keep it in good working order for when you return is to get someone to use it every week.

May be your brother's wife could use the car instead of your brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I think she is as bad a driver as he is, judging by the front of his car with the massive dint and paint damage. I might just offer my brother the car for the year if he wants it and get him to get my dad insured on it. Shouldn't cost any extra to get me off the policy and put my dad on it. He doesn't drive, but he can drive, though not sure he would want the added expense of a car right now.

(I'm the named driver cos I only have provisional, wish they would get around to scheduling my test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

If your Girlfriends sister has a part time job i cant imagine it being too expensive for her to maintain, with a full license and her being female insurance wont be astronomical and part time work will cover fuel and tax, its already NCT'd

Just dont break up with the girlfriend before you get it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Park it up and declare it off the road.

The-Game wrote: »
    If your Girlfriends sister has a part time job i cant imagine it being too expensive for her to maintain, with a full license and her being female insurance wont be astronomical and part time work will cover fuel and tax, its already NCT'd

Just dont break up with the girlfriend before you get it back!

I have no intention of breaking up with her. been with her over 5 years now, she has had the best years of my life so she will now suffer through the worst ;)

• Advertisement

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Park it up and declare it off the road.

Do you have to declare it off the road or will it just be presumed to be off the road if I don't tax it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

cloneslad wrote: »
    Do you have to declare it off the road or will it just be presumed to be off the road if I don't tax it?

you can declare anytime you want but best declare it before you go

also i wouldn't actually choose that option cos leaving a car sitting around is really bad.

give it to someone to drive is probably the best option

even just give it to your dad or something to start up and drive around a bit every now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

give it to a mate as a christmas present :)

always a good option for off loading things you don't need :)

Pdfile wrote: »
    give it to a mate as a christmas present :)

always a good option for off loading things you don't need :)

yeah cos my friends deserve a car from me for christmas :rolleyes: I want it when I come back though

I have no intention of breaking up with her. been with her over 5 years now, she has had the best years of my life so she will now suffer through the worst ;)

Good to know! :cool: Go with the Sister then, bound to score some extra brownie points too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Found this advice on storing a car long term.

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk15.html

Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

If you don't declare it you'll be liable for a years worth of tax as they'll presume you drove it taxless and have to pay it!

If you don't declare it you'll be liable for a years worth of tax as they'll presume you drove it taxless and have to pay it!

Which is not something you want to come home from after a year away, the revenue with their hands out!

No you're not, provided the car hasn't been driven you just bring the renewal car tax form to your local Garda Station and get them to fill in the off the road section.

tudlytops wrote: »
    No you're not, provided the car hasn't been driven you just bring the renewal car tax form to your local Garda Station and get them to fill in the off the road section.
    And how do they know it hasn't been driven?

It's assumed to be driving if it isn't declared 'off the road'. Hence the revenue commission holding their hands out when OP comes home.

And how do they know it hasn't been driven?

It's assumed to be driving if it isn't declared 'off the road'. Hence the revenue commission holding their hands out when OP comes home.

Nop, they ask you why it hasn't been driven, and in this case he can prof he was out the country.

I done it every year as i had a old classic that I only drove for about 3 month's of the year and have the form sigh by the guards every time.

Why do you think there is a section in the tax form for it.

tudlytops wrote: »
    Nop, they ask you why it hasn't been driven, and in this case he can prof he was out the country.

I done it every year as i had a old classic that I only drove for about 3 month's of the year and have the form sigh by the guards every time.

Why do you think there is a section in the tax form for it.

Yes but it is as easy to just do all this now before he leaves and have it organised.

thanks for arguing over me lads, it really is very flattering, even my g.f wouldn't argue with someone over me :p

I will have a work with the tax crowd when I go to tax it next month and they can tell me what they think.

I'm not leaving till about feb 22nd or so, but my tax is up at the end of january so I will have to tax it for three months even though it will only be on the road for three weeks :(

Can't you tax for a month?

Can't you tax for a month?

I thought the minimum was 3 months. But I know nothing about cars and car related products.

/runs off to consult with google and find out

• Advertisement

I thought the minimum was 3 months. But I know nothing about cars and car related products.

/runs off to consult with google and find out
    To be fair I've never had to tax my car, so I don't know the time constraints :o Checking now though.

Yay I was right :)

the site said I could back tax it for a month, but I don't want to be caught without tax and get a fine.

Can I just go to the tax office and tax it for the coming month rather than a month previous.

the site said I could back tax it for a month, but I don't want to be caught without tax and get a fine.

Can I just go to the tax office and tax it for the coming month rather than a month previous.
    From the information you've given, you only need to tax it for the month of February no?

yeah, only the month of february. it's taxed will end of january but I will be heading to dubai around the 22nd of feb or so.

yeah, only the month of february. it's taxed will end of january but I will be heading to dubai around the 22nd of feb or so.
    On the last day of your current tax go down to the tax office and get a months one so :)

thanks for the help. I'll do that and I will also find out what the story is for declaring the car off the road.

I think I will park it up in my girlfriends place and get her dad to keep it ticking over every week or so to make sure it's fine for when I come back.

thanks for the help. I'll do that and I will also find out what the story is for declaring the car off the road.

I think I will park it up in my girlfriends place and get her dad to keep it ticking over every week or so to make sure it's fine for when I come back.
    Go down to the guards and get some form that I can't remember the name of to declare it off the road, or if you're passing it on to someone for private use, make sure you change ownership or you're still liable for tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

On the last day of your current tax go down to the tax office and get a months one so
    The minimum you can tax a vehicle for is three months. You can pay arrears in multiples of one month (1/10 of annual tax per month).
    If you don't know what you're talking about, it's better to say nothing.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    The minimum you can tax a vehicle for is three months. You can pay arrears in multiples of one month (1/10 of annual tax per month).
    I missed out the word arrears, I just saw monthly =[

Sorry cloneslad.

I missed out the word arrears, I just saw monthly =[

Sorry cloneslad.

/walks away crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Don't bother taxing it in Febuary, chances are if you're stopped by the Gardaí, if its only out of tax by a matter of weeks, they give a few days Grace to sort it out. Better having that few quid in your back pocket for going away than for the Revenue Shower to have it.
    As regards Storage, Park it up at a property you can trust, and leave the keys with them. Ask them kindly to heat her up every now and then to keep things ticking over.
    On return, you can declare the car off the road when you go to renew to tax, and in the meantime, have your insurance suspended. (Unless you wish to Cover Fire & Theft)
    Don't bother changing the ownership, unless its going to be driven. Anyway, changing the ownership gives you no right to the car legally on your return, in the unlikely event of a dispute arising but just bare that in mind.

To be fair I've never had to tax my car, so I don't know the time constraints :o Checking now though.

So what exactly is this Tax Free car you drive?? :p

Unfortunately its only arrears that can be paid in monthly segments as esel pointed out, OP needs to decide whether its worth the price of 3 months tax for 1 months use, some cars can work out cheap for 3 months tax, compared to use of public transport and taxis.

Advertisement