Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Freeze (Wintry showers in east, temps below -10c tonight)

Options
  • 24-12-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well no snow here last night just rain, had a big hail/rain shower around 5am.

There should be a feed of showers onto the east coast through today and this evening, so potentially some snow.

Overnight tonight could see temperatures in the midlands dip below -10c :eek:

Continue here, thanks.

Just a reminder to the people posting pictures in this thread, they are very welcome and we want as many as we can get but when you post your pictures could you post them in the Weather Photography thread and then place the link to the thread in here?

It would help in many ways.

Thanks so much.
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

what way do you see the breakdown going tomorrow WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its hard to believe some places got to -10c last night, when i look out my window, looks like a mild wet morning! No ice at all.

Villain wrote: »
    what way do you see the breakdown going tomorrow WC?

Think the snow will fall in the north midlands and over Ulster.

Milder air getting into the south and east first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My brother was going through donegal town there and he said it was -9 on the car temperture recorder, and that parts of the sea or harbour were frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Thanks Villian for the hope and not wanting to sound rude:o,but I wont hold my breath:rolleyes:.We always seem to miss out except for the big snow in the eighties:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Charlestown in Co. Mayo reporting -9.9c at the momemt! :eek:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Can someone answer me this question ,the tempertures we hear on met eireann and the likes ,is that air or road tempertures?

Pangea wrote: »
    Can someone answer me this question ,the tempertures we hear on met eireann and the likes ,is that air or road tempertures?

Air temp Pangea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ay me; we have abundance of snow already!! Ah well...

White this Christmas certainly is..

Think the snow will fall in the north midlands and over Ulster.

Milder air getting into the south and east first.

Good morning brother Murf/smurf:),any chance of a few thousand flakes in Kildare today:confused:??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wow

Pangea wrote: »
    My brother was going through dongeal town there and he said it was -9 on the car temperture recorder, and that parts of the sea or harbour were frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Crazy this morning -5 going to work. Ice was falling from the sky, because it wasnt snow, it wasnt rain and it wasnt sleet.

thought my fingers would fall off. Roads were ok though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Speaking of road temps, at what temp is salt ineffective?

Balmy 4.8C here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: -2.0 °C
    Dew Point: -2.3 °C

And that's as cool as it got, -2.
    A light frost on the ground and cars, but nothing like we've seen in the past few days.

holly1 wrote: »
    Good morning brother Murf/smurf:),any chance of a few thousand flakes in Kildare today:confused:??

Good morning sister smurf! :)

I doubt it to be honest, but anything can happen!

Charlestown in Co. Mayo reporting -9.9c at the momemt! :eek:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm
    Fallen to -10.1C

The plants over here in the balmy EAST are thinking of their dying western cousins...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from my morning jog. I have never ever seen such icy conditions. The roads are basically completely 100% covered in pure ice. It seems the crunchy frost melted then refroze overnight into glassy ice. I could barely walk in places never mind jog!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WC - on the NRA there bray bypass, Arklow Bypass, Enniscorthy all + figs & the rest of the country miles below.

But I am grateful for no ice this morning. We cleared the drive twice last evening & was still freezing over again & again.. Due to the sickness yesterday I need to get out for shopping today & I didnt fancy a dangerous trek to tescos.

Beautiful morning looking over the Dublin mountains - I must send yee a picture of my view of Catty Gallagher.. Shes lookin pretty today...

Good morning sister smurf! :)

I doubt it to be honest, but anything can happen!

Thanks,I wont get my hopes up then,so wont be dissapointed:rolleyes:.
    I couldent open the car door this morning:D.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temp here is -10.5c and it got down to -11.5c so it was cold!!!!!! how high should we expect and i notice met ie are forecasting rain for us tomorrow i wonder hopefully not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ay me; we have abundance of snow already!! Ah well...

White this Christmas certainly is..

Morning Grace - Hope your feeling better & a bit warmer...

Nada snow here so I think ill be getting you to post some

Fek,

I've to drive from Galway to Monaghan later and it's -6 down there.. Effort in an old rear wheel drive bmw that definately has no traction control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mothman wrote: »
    Fallen to -10.1C

Seriously? That is a savage temperature for daytime...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

jenzz wrote: »
    WC - on the NRA there bray bypass, Arklow Bypass, Enniscorthy all + figs & the rest of the country miles below.

It's like a band across the country - Dublin, Wicklow, Waterford and Wexford all above 0. There is a 13.2 degree difference between Mayo and Wicklow!!!!

6z GFS indicates reasonable period of snow continuing over the northwest, midlands and Ulster during Christmas day, even parts of inland North Leinster.

Increase of risk as band slips slightly further south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its sun bed weather down here, hasn't been this warm at 10 am or indeed at any time for nearly a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Just driven from Abbeyfeale to Listowel & back, all major routes treated & are fine. Other roads deadly.

Went down a hill backwards into a ditch yesterday, that was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

there is not much action out in the irish sea anyway. unless something starts bulbling up soon?

• Advertisement

I've 4 to 5C all night with a bit of rain and part of my drive in shade is a sheet of ice.
    5cm soil temp has risen to 1C.

I can't estimate how long the ground will be frozen for in the west. It must be nearly a permafrost there. There could be black ice throughout the less cold period.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement