Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Freeze (Wintry showers in east, temps below -10c tonight)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

well the only bit of good news is with the temp risen .......... We actually get to do that snow job !!! ( in recession work is desperate !)

So all the easterlys who never got to see snow... Bray Seafront later - ................................................. A big surprise for all the kiddies ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dickerty wrote: »
    Seriously? That is a savage temperature for daytime...
    This is at 9am, the sun scarcely up yet and if there is any sort of shade from morning sun, temps may still drop further after 9am.

Supercell wrote: »
    Just back from my morning jog. I have never ever seen such icy conditions. The roads are basically completely 100% covered in pure ice. It seems the crunchy frost melted then refroze overnight into glassy ice. I could barely walk in places never mind jog!
    You are sheltered from that East wind which helps.
    All the ice that was still here yesterday evening here is pretty much gone.Theres no new ice.
    My davis is completely sheltered from it too but by a hedge alas and not by mountains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

still around -9c now and we are the coldest place in the uk should our high stay at -7c?!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

-1.6C in Maynooth now, from a low of -2.2 overnight. A layer of ice on the roads I can see from last night's rain, which is going to make the necessary driving later on lots of fun. Patchy cloud drifting over. After I do a few bits and pieces here, I'm going to go out and get some holly, so I'll get some up-close-and-personal experience of the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All is well.

Woke to frozen taps.. but then found it is only the kitchen cold tap and the bathroom is still working...:)

Much colder than y;day; wee dog can now run atop of the frozen snow whereae y;day she was falling through it... we are very unscientific up here..

And even the dogs wanted in again

All the bird food and water freezes fast.

All is very quiet and very still.

Enough fuel for a few days yet and maybe by then we will be able to get out for more.

All is well and so lovely....

Sorry no snow elsewhere... and next time I see the postman will ask him re posting snow!!!
    jenzz wrote: »
    Morning Grace - Hope your feeling better & a bit warmer...

Nada snow here so I think ill be getting you to post some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Graces7 wrote: »
    All is well.

Woke to frozen taps.. but then found it is only the kitchen cold tap and the bathroom is still working...:)

Much colder than y;day; wee dog can now run atop of the frozen snow whereae y;day she was falling through it... we are very unscientific up here..

And even the dogs wanted in again

All the bird food and water freezes fast.

All is very quiet and very still.

Enough fuel for a few days yet and maybe by then we will be able to get out for more.

All is well and so lovely....

Sorry no snow elsewhere... and next time I see the postman will ask him re posting snow!!!

how cold did you get too?

:rolleyes:

;)
    I can't estimate how long the ground will be frozen for in the west. It must be nearly a permafrost there. There could be black ice throughout the less cold period.[/quote]

owenc wrote: »
    still around -9c now and we are the coldest place in the uk
    :confused::confused:

10am obs
    Loch Glascanoch (264 m) -13.2°
    Aviemore (228 m) -12.8°
    Tulloch Bridge (236 m) -12.7°
    Altnaharra (80 m) -12.5°
    Strathallan (35 m) -11.0°

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sligo Airport, which is right by the sea, practically in the sea, still reporting -4 at 10.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Cold in Sligo this morning. The frost is so thick on the trees!
    99887.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Going by the combined daily means of Met stations: Shannon, Oak Park, Casement, Claremorris and Mullingar, yesterday was the coldest day in Ireland so far in 2009.

A daily mean of -1.7c (this is for the midnight to midnight period which met eireann use on their Daily Data page).

The second coldest period was during January, when a daily mean of -1.6c was recorded.

Crude chart giving a sum up of this 5 station daily mean up from Jan 1st to 23rd Dec 09:
    99886.jpg

Despite this cool snap, it may not be enough to lower the 61-90 yearly mean of the 5 stations above. Last year it finished around 0.4c above this average; this year I would guess it will finish nearer 0.5c above. :)

All data used C/O Met Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

gothwalk wrote: »
    -1.6C in Maynooth now, from a low of -2.2 overnight. A layer of ice on the roads I can see from last night's rain, which is going to make the necessary driving later on lots of fun. Patchy cloud drifting over. After I do a few bits and pieces here, I'm going to go out and get some holly, so I'll get some up-close-and-personal experience of the ice.

If you dont find Holly in Maynooth,Im in Clane:D!!
    Mind yourself out there:)

Mothman wrote: »
    Fallen to -10.1C
    No 10am report from Charlsetown, maybe the thermo broke :)
    The trend at the other stations is upwards

Hmmm... How to answer that!!

If you mean in scientific terms, as in thermometers? No idea. few of us have this high tech stuff...

In human terms; very, very cold indeed.

The sun had melted some of the snow on the car so that was sheet ice also.

Outside pipes are frozen and the snow also.

Eyeballs cold....

Anyone;s guess; we are very high up here and above the snowline.

A three hot water bottle and two cat night...:)

Would actually love to know. In scientific terms;)

it is all very fascinating indeed and wondering what next!

owenc wrote: »
    how cold did you get too?

Mothman wrote: »
    The trend at the other stations is upwards

Certainly is in my back yard at the mo. up to a balmy -5.8c currently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Met Eireann charts are a bit of a downgrade . . .

The Met Eireann charts are a bit of a downgrade . . .

Done, it came out way bigger than it looked on Excel :o

Edit, sorry, misread your post, I thought you meant the Chart needs downgrading in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

In cold conditions brain function may slow there DE

Just what I was thinking too:)

First sign of hypothermia is that..

Just had a visitor; on foot for the last half mile. Their car is not a 4 wheel drive and the road is only cleared part of the way downwards. Is impassable now it seems.

Only vehicle seen today is the 4 wheel drive of the farmer and a "cat".

irish1967 wrote: »
    In cold conditions brain function may slow there DE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blank_screen

Hi, I live in Ireland almost 5 years, but did not remember such a cold. I come from Poland, where the winter is much colder. I was wondering if someone remembers the last time was so frostily and what is the lowest temperature recorded in Ireland? In Poland, it was -41 in 1940, but usually we dont get more(should I say less? ;)) than -20 for a few days each winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

certainly in december it hasnt been this cold in a long time. 1995 it was quite a cold one and the end of 2000 but some stations last night recorded record colds for december I would say as on met eireann the record low for Claremorris is minus 8.8 (i think) and last night in Charlestown (nearby) it was minus 10.1c.

Anyways enjoy the Christmas everybody. My mild forecast is looking less likely until the evening on xmas day perhaps after sleet and wet snow followed by rain.

Enjoy the frost. Id say rte weather will be inundated with pics of this .:)

Going by the combined daily means of Met stations: Shannon, Oak Park, Casement, Claremorris and Mullingar, yesterday was the coldest day in Ireland so far in 2009.
    And they all had one thing in common.
    No wind.

Meanwhile,it's a beautifull sunny morning here in wicklow and a balmy 3.6c with a lovely warm breeze [well it the breeze doesn't actually feel warm but you get the picture].
    We might see a 6c by 2pm at the current rate of rise.

No ice at all now all gone and the ground is soft...oh and no frost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

0.5c here now at midday with forst and ice intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

A Mild 1.4 Here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

still way below frezing here in mayo. -4.9c i the shade, sun is just high enough to melt frost thats in its path! Its hard to imagine in 24 hours it will be pissing rain. With the frost in the roads/ground the roads will be deadly when the rain freezes on it! Perhaps it'll be cold enough to snow.....Heres hoping!

snaps wrote: »
    still way below frezing here in mayo. -4.9c i the shade, sun is just high enough to melt frost thats in its path! Its hard to imagine in 24 hours it will be pissing rain. With the frost in the roads/ground the roads will be deadly when the rain freezes on it! Perhaps it'll be cold enough to snow.....Heres hoping!

Just a little east of you Snaps and it is still at -4.4c here. Rising quite rapidly though. But it is an incredible noon temp reading!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon it will be rain 2moro, with most of the country -5C last night we couldnt even manage to get sleet here, just rain so all I can see is rain for 2moro at least here in the east. It's hard to sound promising about snow when its gone wrong so many times over the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

temps at 7 am just from the car mind, 1 degree.
    went for walk with missus at 10.30. paths lethal. had rain shower last night which immediately froze. sheet ice everywhere. temps now 12 noon 1 degree. clear and sunny.

am *not* walking out again today.

any snow due ?

on the other hand, i finished ulysses in one sitting this morning. totally simples. My brain is on fire !! :D
    - X Detritus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-4 in Limerickat 11am. waiting for the report to update for mid day.

saw a -6 in the same weather station report.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement