Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Freeze (Wintry showers in east, temps below -10c tonight)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Tigerbaby wrote: »

on the other hand, i finished ulysses in one sitting this morning. totally simples. My brain is on fire !! :D
    - X Detritus!

Sweet jesus! I had to read that book in College and I absolutely hated it! I tried to go against the grain and see some good points in it, but feck me, there was none. The most utterly boring book I have ever had the displeasure of reading! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

1.1c here in Waterford City. Nice sunny winters day.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    0.5c here now at midday with forst and ice intact.
    And no wind no doubt.
    Although my davis cant record it,I can confirm theres a mighty sea breeze here and it was cloudy up to an hour ago.
    As I said last night,you remained north of the main precip of the troublesome low that we had down here.

What hope has a minus one temp up against an atlantic invasion when it's predicted that -8 air will be disapated by it tomorrow.

The key it appears in this air to holding onto the cold at this stage [unless you are on very high ground or more than 10 miles inland or in the north] is to have no wind off the sea.
    Thats a useless cold if you ask me for coastal areas as it means no showers and if you get your sea breeze you get rain or sleet.

Bring back the beasterly ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

pauldry wrote: »
    certainly in december it hasnt been this cold in a long time. 1995 it was quite a cold one and the end of 2000 but some stations last night recorded record colds for december I would say as on met eireann the record low for Claremorris is minus 8.8 (i think) and last night in Charlestown (nearby) it was minus 10.1c.
    30th Dec 2000
    Claremorris -12.9C with a max of -4.0C
    Straide also Co. Mayo -14.0C, grass min -16.0C 29/12/2000

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Sweet jesus! I had to read that book in College and I absolutely hated it! I tried to go against the grain and see some good points in it, but feck me, there was none. The most utterly boring book I have ever had the displeasure of reading! :(

sorry my friend, i was messing. Detritus is a character from Terry Pratchetts Discworld series. He is a rather dim witted Troll. However, when the weather freezes his brain becomes practically Einsteinian. re; Ulysses, I too cant abide the book. Much more fun reading Flann O'Brien.
    Cheers, Tigerbaby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Ice ice baby here today. I drove around liffey valley last night after the rain started and the road turned very bad, roundabouts particularly. The paths in car parks aswell were lethal.

Gothwalk.... I have a feeling that I know you.... college and Fibbers? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I heard that the sea coming into killybegs is frozen solid and along the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

:)
    Still - 6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-2 here at mid day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

The Irish Times - Thursday, December 24, 2009
    White Christmas on cards for northern parts as cold hold

PAMELA DUNCAN and STEVEN CARROLL

THOSE DREAMING of a white Christmas may yet it see it come to pass with Met Éireann predicting a snowy start in some parts of the country on Christmas Day.

However, any snow is expected to be confined to northern counties while the majority of the country is likely to see the cold start replaced by slightly warmer and rainier conditions as the day goes on.

Two Irish bookmakers believe the prospect of a white Christmas is becoming increasingly unlikely. Despite saying it had already paid out €50,000 on a white Christmas occurring, Paddy Power was yesterday offering odds of 9/4 on the chances of snowfall tomorrow, out from 5/4, while Boylesports also extended the odds from 6/4 to 9/4.
    But there is to be no let-up in the current cold snap until midway through tomorrow, while today will continue to be bitterly cold.

Meteorologist Gerry Murphy of Met Éireann said temperatures would not rise above – 1 degree in some parts of the midlands today while tonight would be “potentially as cold” as last night with temperatures predicted to fall as low as – 8 degrees in some areas again. Asked if there would be snowfall on Christmas Day, he added: “There could certainly be falls of snow, especially in the northern parts of the country”.

Hazardous conditions, including freezing fog and icy roads, will continue today with hail, sleet and snow showers expected along the coast in northern Connacht and Ulster and more wintry showers along the east coast. Rain, preceded by sleet or possibly snow, is set to spread from the southwest overnight tonight, reaching much of Munster and Connacht by tomorrow morning and bringing a rise in temperatures. The rain will spread to all areas during the day, following a cold and frosty start.

St Stephen’s Day will see temperatures rise further to between 4 and 7 degrees with a possibility of sunshine in Leinster and Munster. Ulster and Connacht can expect rain and sleet showers but no snow on the 26th. After St Stephen’s Day, temperatures are expected to fall again for the following few days.

At least 100 people have died in the past week throughout continental Europe as temperatures dropped over 30 degrees below freezing in some places. Two women died and 47 other people were injured after a coach overturned on an icy road in Cornwall yesterday.

In Poland, 79 people have died with temperatures falling as low as – 20 degrees. In Germany, the temperatures have fallen as low as – 33 degrees and at least seven people lost their lives.

Meanwhile, gardaí are urging motorists to exercise extreme caution on the roads. AA Roadwatch said braking distances would be 10 times greater than normal due to icy conditions, while Age Action Ireland warned that older people are particularly susceptible during the cold snap.

“People should keep the temperature in the rooms they’re living in between 16 and 18 degrees . . . If it falls below 12 degrees you’re in the danger zone because the blood begins to thicken and it can result in heart attack or stroke,” said Eamon Timmins of Age Action Ireland.
    He encouraged people to keep in contact with elderly neighbours

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    I heard that the sea coming into killybegs is frozen solid and along the harbour.
    It may well be in the harbour with ice,I doubt it could be more than a film of ice,but it won't be this time tomorrow when the breeze gets up.A harbour would freeze at -4c even with some salt water in it.I saw that happen widely last february.
    I'd want to see pictures to believe that the sea is frozen because I definitely don't believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

reporting light shower of snizzle in limerickcity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Looking a little ahead to Tues/Weds next week, it all looks very interesting. We could be in for something special with a clash of Mild(ish) air with plenty of precip to the south vs Cold air to the north. and in this case, I see the cold winning. Still a ways to go though, but worth keeping an eye on.

Still cold here on the Kilkenny/Carlow border, pavements covered in ice and roads very dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Duiske wrote: »
    Looking a little ahead to Tues/Weds next week, it all looks very interesting. We could be in for something special with a clash of Mild(ish) air with plenty of precip to the south vs Cold air to the north. and in this case, I see the cold winning. Still a ways to go though, but worth keeping an eye on.

Still cold here on the Kilkenny/Carlow border, pavements covered in ice and roads very dodgy.

Next week looks the best for a big snow event somewhere in ireland. We will have a real clash of air mass,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fek,

I've to drive from Galway to Monaghan later and it's -6 down there.. Effort in an old rear wheel drive bmw that definately has no traction control.

Steer from the rear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

What was the lowest temp recorded last night/this morning?

Bren Jacob wrote: »
    There was a -10.1c from one of the NRA stations in mayo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

My car was showing -7 there in Donegal between Lifford and Ballybofey and talking to a couple of people who travelled between Letterkenny and Glenties, their cars were showing -12 at Meenaroy. :eek:

smashey wrote: »
    My car was showing -7 there in Donegal between Lifford and Ballybofey and talking to a couple of people who travelled between Letterkenny and Glenties, their cars were showing -12 at Meenaroy. :eek:
    Cant believe someone actually attempted meenaroy lol , its important people realise that tempertures recorded by met eireann are only for that weather station the likes of meenaroy will never be on record for met eireann , yet it was -12 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Abit of light rain falling here on costa del Dublin.

• Advertisement

It may well be in the harbour with ice,I doubt it could be more than a film of ice,but it won't be this time tomorrow when the breeze gets up.A harbour would freeze at -4c even with some salt water in it.I saw that happen widely last february.
    I'd want to see pictures to believe that the sea is frozen because I definitely don't believe that.
    the sea comes in along stretch to killybegs way past the harbour coming into the mainland and parts of that were frozen , especially last night with low tide, and the last bit of sea around the bay touching the land is all frozen. It covers a good stretch. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Bren Jacob wrote: »

Well unofficially -10.1c Charlestown, Co. Mayo. Not sure what official figures would be yet.

Just got back to check my Davis readings and it recorded -8.3c at 8.25am this morning! Equivelent to the temp low at the Tuam NRA station as per IWN. :)

EDIT: current Davis reading at -1.0c. I think it unlikely I will see a total ice day once again. But sure what the hell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Cant believe someone actually attempted meenaroy lol
    One was a breadman. :D

At least if stranded he wouldn't be hungry :D

Of the Met E synoptic stations,
    Claremorris -8.3C
    Ballyhaise -7.7C

NRA stations Longford, Charlestown and Collooney Bypass in or about -10C

Certainly there are many places that would be degrees lower and you see car reports etc mentioning -12Cs

Very few climate stations placed in these localised cold spots. Katesbridge is in a frost hollow but is in Co. Down, away from the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

It's - 2 here in County Limerick (but near Charleville and the Cork border) Nothing has thawed, and the freezing fog from this morning has barely lifted. Just got back from the local Supervalu store, and the car parks like an ice skating rink, nearly broke my neck:D.....Unreal weather, but loving it all the same!!

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a white christmas!!

the sea comes in along stretch to killybegs way past the harbour coming into the mainland and parts of that were frozen , especially last night with low tide, and the last bit of sea around the bay touching the land is all frozen. It covers a good stretch. ;)
    An inlet surrounded on both sides by land.
    Thats different to the sea being frozen.
    It happens when the temp is below about -4c-a temp thats reached in any sea side location in this type of airmass at this time of the year under clear skies with no wind and the longest night possible.
    It's remarkable only for it's rarity.
    If you had a sea breeze last night,you'd have had no frost or new ice in killybegs.

An inlet surrounded on both sides by land.
    Thats different to the sea being frozen.
    It happens when the temp is below about -4c-a temp thats reached in any sea side location in this type of airmass at this time of the year under clear skies with no wind and the longest night possible.
    It's remarkable only for it's rarity.
    If you had a sea breeze last night,you'd have had no frost or new ice in killybegs.
    Also depends how much fresh water is coming in from land, land that is as good as frozen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That freezing fog has reached us now . . . jayses its dense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's a bit misty and foggy here in Armagh but not too bad overall. I think it's warmed up slightly today as I was driving my car at 9am and the temp was minus 5 outside. However it must have warmed up a touch as some of the ice has melted off the car now and it's completely clear, even though it hasn't been on for about 5 hours at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Cant we just agree that the sea has frozen. Makes great headlines and the tourists will come from miles to see it in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement