Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Freeze (Wintry showers in east, temps below -10c tonight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Brrr an icy Galway after the freezing fog earlier this morning
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63640651#post63640651

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fantastic snaps Dloob! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Fantastic snaps Dloob! :)
    While I agree and I've thanked the post, please use the picture sub forum so this "chat" thread doesn't take an age to download for those of us with slow internet.

It's remarkable only for it's rarity.
    Which of course makes it a noteworthy event ;)
    just like reports of -10C or less can be argued as not remarkable except that they are rare
    As rare as hens teeth in Ashford :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Sorry if this has already been posted

Weather Warning

Frost, ice and fog persisting in places Christmas Eve.
    Very cold and frosty during the evening, overnight and Christmas morning with ice and some freezing fog. A spell of rain will push in off the Atlantic Christmas morning and will cross the country in the afternoon and evening. It will fall as sleet and snow in places, this mainly over Ulster, north and east Connacht and northern counties of Leinster. :eek::eek:

Could Dublin be in this "northern counties" bracket ? Could we have a white crimbo ? I doubt it, it feels quite mild out at the min here in Costa del Dublin ( sorry weathercheck ) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Going to be another ice day here - 2 in a row - who'd a thunk it?

Haven't seen that for a long long time - probably 87. Lovely day though once you're wrapped up. Next week is going to be very interesting regarding where the snow may or may not fall....;)

2pm reports
    Ballyhaise -3C
    Gurteen -2C
    Shannon -1C
    Mullingar -1C
    Claremorris has made it to zero (-0.4C to +0.4C)

Too many NRA stations still sub zero to list including a couple -5Cs and there are IWN stations still sub zero as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

With all this siberian type cold weather in the west i was wondering too if it could work out in our favour in the east.
    I STILL have the snow that fell here about a week ago!, this would have been one heck of a cold spell if there had been some decent snowfall when we had the easterlies last time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Mothman wrote: »
    Which of course makes it a noteworthy event ;)
    just like reports of -10C or less can be argued as not remarkable except that they are rare
    As rare as hens teeth in Ashford :pac:
    Of course :)
    I was just frustrating at the fact that the airmass can be dislodged so easily.
    It's not a true battleground as the cold air is in sit u rather than being topped up.
    The slightest touch of a sea breeze and the cold house falls down as you and I know.

Ergo any snow albeit welcome from the atlantic fronts as they come in will be very very short lived and we're back to the cold rainy muck for a while...unless darkman2 can or rather ecm and ukmo can or rather mother nature can come up with better charts :pac::P:pac:

Going to be another ice day here - 2 in a row - who'd a thunk it?

Haven't seen that for a long long time - probably 87.
    Can't speak directly for your lcoation, but ice days were widespread 27-30 Dec 2000. Some stations had 4 in a row including Claremorris and Clones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a reminder to the people posting pictures in this thread, they are very welcome and we want as many as we can get but when you post your pictures could you post them in the Weather Photography thread and then place the link to the thread in here?

It would help in many ways.

Thanks so much.
    ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

-1 here at the moment, hasn't been above 0 all day.

It is hard to believe that the snow from Sunday is still lying on the ground here!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

ccoyle wrote: »

That's savage, where is that?

Meanwhile, light rain showers continue to affect here now and again.

So any chance of snow tomorrow from that front would be about zero here i would say/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Now that's a nice Christmas Tree! Is it yours?

Light snow shower here :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

somebody left their sprinkler on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Ice tree is outside my door at Convoy Co. Donegal

Should look magic at night coz there wee lights frozen in there

I might post a pic later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Mothman wrote: »
    While I agree and I've thanked the post, please use the picture sub forum so this "chat" thread doesn't take an age to download for those of us with slow internet.

Agreed and also for those of us trying to follow on iPhones with poor 3G reception. It just causes a lot of hassle.

Temp in Shannon is 0c at 3pm. Hoping it starts dropping back soon so we get an official ice day here in the Banner!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Goin by the forecast on rte at 1 and looking at yr.no, tomorrow's front is looking more and more like a nearly all snow event here with just a bit of sleet at the back end really. It's even supposed to get down to around -1 here again tomorrow night. I know further south and east it's looking like mostly rain but I think anywhere north of Galway and a bit inland could be in for a good fall out of this.

It got down to -9.8 here last night and has only just barely gone above -2 all day. The fog is already starting to form again as well.

Peter wrote: »
    I know further south and east it's looking like mostly rain but I think anywhere north of Galway and a bit inland could be in for a good fall out of this.

Westerly winds means your cold blown over to us in the east...i would say we are more likely to benefit from it than you, we deserve it here in the snow desert!

Snowing here again, i hope thse irish sea showers start to get their act together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

squonk wrote: »
    Agreed and also for those of us trying to follow on iPhones with poor 3G reception. It just causes a lot of hassle.

Temp in Shannon is 0c at 3pm. Hoping it starts dropping back soon so we get an official ice day here in the Banner!!!

Met eireann reports +1 degree at Shannon at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Supercell wrote: »
    Snowing here again, i hope thse irish sea showers start to get their act together

I havnt seen any decent snow yet, just ice and freezing fog...im sick of the ice now....have heard of a few cars in the ditch allready.
    I want snow
    I want snow
    I want snow
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Snow in Sandyford - light, not sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Westerly winds means your cold blown over to us in the east...i would say we are more likely to benefit from it than you, we deserve it here in the snow desert!

lol, how do you work that out, i've had no snow, and ye always get snow at some point in the winter.

Thats just greedy tbh:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Looks like the UKMO must have heard me, they're just after issuing a weather warning for Northern Ireland
    A band of rain, sleet and snow will cross Northern Ireland during Friday afternoon. This giving snow accumulations in excess of 5 cm in places, especially over high ground and in the west. The rain, sleet and snow clearing during the early evening with freezing temperatures then causing widespread ice on roads and paths.

My rough guesstimate for tomorrow :o

xmasb.gif

• Advertisement

Light snow shower here :)
    yeah the dp has dropped to 0.4c here so I'd imagine it must be below -1 with you now,I haven't looked.
    The breeze is now from the nne here veering north and very very light now accounting for the difference..
    Now if it would only turn westerly!
    Ha me wishing for a westerly :pac:

Showers completely missing here by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement