Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Freeze (Wintry showers in east, temps below -10c tonight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yeah the dp has dropped to 0.4c here so I'd imagine it must be below -1 with you now,I haven't looked.
    The breeze is now from the nne here veering north and very very light now accounting for the difference..
    Now if it would only turn westerly!
    Ha me wishing for a westerly :pac:

Showers completely missing here by the way.

They were rain here Black Briar so dont hold any hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I moved my pics into a thread in the weather photo forum and added one or two more.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63640651#post63640651

It's still pretty frozen here at the moment, the fog comes and goes.
    I'll be in North Tipp for Christmas Day, I'll be keeping an eye out for any snow.
    No doubt as soon as I leave Galway it will experience blizzard conditions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    Westerly winds means your cold blown over to us in the east...i would say we are more likely to benefit from it than you, we deserve it here in the snow desert!

your post smacks of an addict waiting for his snow fix:pac:
    anywhere north of the midlands should see a decent period of snow out of this. i would not be surprised if it stays as snow for a gooda long time in Central Ulster.

They were rain here Black Briar so dont hold any hope :D
    Oh thanks you're very cheery for Xmas eve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amen; and great sales pitch fror Cap'n Billy and the Donegal Bay Waterbus...

Bet he wasn't out yesterday!
    ch750536 wrote: »
    Cant we just agree that the sea has frozen. Makes great headlines and the tourists will come from miles to see it in the summer.

• Advertisement

Awww..

The snowy mountains here are all pink as the sun sets..

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I havnt seen any decent snow yet, just ice and freezing fog...im sick of the ice now....have heard of a few cars in the ditch allready.
    I want snow
    I want snow
    I want snow
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got very little sun in Castletroy Limerick today, fog hasnt dispersed at all and actually got heavier and much colder.

It will be the same as last night with very cold -5/-6 temps. Any chance of snow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temp is -5.6c already after a max of -3.1c so a chilly chilly night ahead!

THEY ARE OFF ON HOLIDAYS HERE AND ARE NOT GRITTING THE ROADS MY MUM IS IN A RAGE!

jeepers it's cold!

But Father Christmas came early here..

My landlord.

Brought goodies AND a brand new Super Ser gas heater.

He had been on about using the storage heaters..
    Told him I cannot afford them or build up bills i cannot pay.

So now there will be warmer air here; regardless of the FREEZING outside.

Time to light the Christmas Candles in all the windows..... any lost souls will see them and know there is safety here.

Blessings this night..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

This is the first time since I think December 2000 where nothing thawed all day, very thick frost and bits of snow from Sunday night still on the ground. Hope to see a brief spell of snow before turning to rain tomorrow:)

• Advertisement

Peter wrote: »

It got down to -9.8 here last night and has only just barely gone above -2 all day. The fog is already starting to form again as well.

also the roads on the Claremorris side of ballyhaunis were tricky today. there was patches of freezing fog in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

danni2 wrote: »
    This is the first time since I think December 2000 where nothing thawed all day, very thick frost and bits of snow from Sunday night still on the ground. Hope to see a brief spell of snow before turning to rain tomorrow:)
    there hasnt been a thaw here in donegal since the freeze started on saturday!
    ur right though 2000 is last time something like this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Made it down town for first time since Sunday. Roads like nothing I have seen before. Main roads fine but side roads are just solid sheets of ice. Car temp showed -6.5 at 11am and -1.5 at 2pm. We breathed deep and went at our big hill and made it up first go though we were sideways at one stage.
    Time for beers now me thinks!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just been out for first time in 3 days, Ive never seen roads so icy. This is perhaps the coldest most icy non-snow event ive ever witnessed. The roads are seriously dangerous and very hard to walk on the footpaths, looking forward to the end of this cold spell at this stage. Hopefully i'll make it to the pub later on:)

Hello everyone. Crystal clear skys here in Lucan, so we'll get feck all snow here tonight. Its extremely frosty again though. Another bitterly cold night.
    On a good note, maybe with the clear skys, we'll get to see Santa flying over...:)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Pangea wrote: »
    Yeah it was a long time ago, the only differance is that I had about 6 inches of snow on the ground in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I hope that cloud to the east just stays there and doesn't come ashore so we can have a bitter night ahead of tomorrows precip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I hope that cloud to the east just stays there and doesn't come ashore so we can have a bitter night ahead of tomorrows precip.

yea that would be good -10c at night and -1c and snow at day!:mad: ccloud is already here but i think its just one patch will check!:mad: fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowing lightly here now. About feckin time! +0.9c

arctictree wrote: »
    Snowing lightly here now. About feckin time! +0.9c
    oh irony of ironies,I may even get some here[after all my moaning] looking at that radar and the little clump about to head in with my dp now at zero point one and dropping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Just dropping below zero. Has been just above most of the day..

Temperature: -0.8 °C
    Dew Point: -1.2 °C

Raintoday not showing much of anything on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

My rough guesstimate for tomorrow :o

Ha, WC, you've pissed off a lot of people there!!

Anyway, this is looking very similar to the post cold snap event on Sunday Feb 8th of this year. An atlantic front hit the cold air and we got a load of snow. Biggest flakes I've ever seen. The timing here could be a problem for us though as it hits the east in the early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pangea wrote: »

The back road beside me hasn't thawed at all today. Last couple of days it was slushy at this time, then froze. Rock hard now.

NRA Site is giving Killygordon air temp of -7.4 and road temp of -5.6.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

t's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (not round here)
    Ev'rywhere you go; (only in the west/north)
    Take a look in the five and ten glistening once again (???????)
    With candy canes and silver lanes aglow. (Id love a candy cane now)
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (Like i said...its not)
    Toys in ev'ry store (there closed)
    But the prettiest sight to see is the holly that will be
    On your own front door. (didnt buy any this year...bah humbug)

A pair of hopalong boots and a pistol that shoots
    Is the wish of Barney and Ben; (again...?????)
    Dolls that will talk and will go for a walk (blow up dolls?)
    Is the hope of Janice and Jen; (dont know htese girls)
    And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again. (yep)
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ( $u%kin said it not!!!)
    Ev'rywhere you go; (see above)
    There's a tree in the Grand Hotel, one in the park as well, (it blew done)
    The sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow. ( like i said it blew down)
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas; (sweet jesus its not!!!)
    Soon the bells will start, (start what)
    And the thing that will make them ring is the carol that you sing
    Right within your heart. (awwwww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

K-9 wrote: »

NRA Site is giving Killygordon air temp of -7.4 and road temp of -5.6.
    I don't know where Killygordon is :o
    but I didn't see it above -6C today :eek:

Some quite rapid drops at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mothman wrote: »
    I don't know where Killygordon is :o
    but I didn't see it above -6C today :eek:

Some quite rapid drops at moment.

It's between Ballybofey and Lifford.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

just heard the radio forecast there, she said snow most likely in north and east connacht, north leinster and ulster tomorrow. temperature rising eventually to between 4-7 degrees. then scattered wintry showers tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp down to -3.2c already in a severe freezing fog. Visibility down to just a few metres. Thickest I have seen in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

My rough guesstimate for tomorrow :o

xmasb.gif

Great stuff WC. I think you are close to the mark with that tbh. Might just scrape something here but hardly anything prolonged or serious.

• Advertisement

Please don't send us your rain.. So pretty up here..

Ulster..
    A cold, dry and frosty start to Christmas day. Rain, preceded by sleet and snow in places, spreading from the southwest in the afternoon and evening. Frost slowly clearing and temperatures reaching between zero to 3 degrees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement