Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing a Bedroom

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thanks for your updates, as really interested to see how this goes in long term
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Glad to get your updates, I find them interesting even though I got my bedroom wall soundproofed last year, its still good to hear what kind of results your getting.
    It is difficult to judge the results isnt it, when success can only be measured by silence. I know exactly how it is and still find myself listening, for what I dont know.
    Hope my neighbours dont push their bed up against our adjoining wall.

I got secondary windows for sound reduction from that source as well.
    They put in a kind of wooden flap I could open or close over my air vents.
    To be honest I would say the sponge idea is probably more effective, might try that tip out myself sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

Yeah its very hard to prove a negative. I mean how do you prove (to yourself for your own piece of mind) that the silence is a positive outcome rather than just silence due to nothing happening.The fact I hear the odd thing here and there makes it harder to convince myself that its worked well.

I do think that if the bed wasn't pushed against the adjoining wall then it would be happy days. Or even if the bed wasn't as squeaky or whatever. You can count your blessings your neighbours don't have their bed against your adjoining wall because I'm pretty sure that total soundproofing is impossible.

Anyway, no chance of that happening in this case. Its a case of the relationship getting worse between me and herself. One of her conquests made the mistake of making a vaguely threatening comment towards me in the hall the other day :rolleyes: Honestly some people just have to try and act the hard nut for no reason.

Anyway Amber can you tell me more about this flap thing you go put over the fan? I'm interested in hearing about all options

SwdDub if the relationship with your next door neighbour isnt at war level by now would it perhaps be a good time to ask, in the nicest possible way, that her bed be pulled away from the wall.

Something like - "Im hearing this weird knocking sound in my bedroom every now and again and these walls are built so badly I wonder could you try pulling the end of your bed out from the wall a little untill we see if thats it.":D

Or "Heres €50 Ive cut in half. Ill give you the other half in 3 weeks if you take part in an experiment with me and pull your bed away from the wall just a little. Im not asking you to do anything else. Whatever we do in our private homes is our own buisness, fair play to you. So for 50 will you give it a go ?"
    might appeal to her ahem buisness senses :cool:

Or if you dont think that will work you could try saying "Im not going to talk about your night time activities again you ******
    JUST PULL THE BED END AWAY FROM THE WALL and I wont go and get (my solicitor, the guards, the taxman, fraud squad, dole office) involved. :mad:

The flap is just a square piece of wooden board cut to cover the air outlet in my bedroom. It has a hinge at the top and is lined at the inside edges with what seems like a draft proofing strip. When I want to close it, I push it down and there is a little clip at the bottom to hold it flush against the wall.
    It is very simple and a bit of a crude handmade job. I would imagine the sponge put into the hole in the wall itself would help reduce sound more than just the wood. Its a job you could do yourself with bits and pieces bought in a harware suppliers, nothing fancy, if Ive managed to describe it ok.

An inventive attempt at a solution there Amber. However, its all gone completely pear shaped with next door after her mouthy little friend chipped in with his piece. I think I've seen him with her before a couple of times so he obviously thinks he's staking a claim to a permanent place in her bed. I'm not getting into keyboard warrior style rantings about what will or won't happen if he keeps it up but suffice to say we wont be on talking terms if he has the neck to pipe up again.

I think I'll stick the sponge in and also the cover you talked about! Sounds manageable even for me. I'll let you know how I get on when I get round to it anyway

• Advertisement

I may have let my imagination get a little carried away there SwdDub but you be careful, wont you.
    I dont know what to suggest but dont want you getting into trouble.

Ah I'll be grand. I've coughed up more frightening looking things of a Sunday morning. I could could just do without the added hassle of a wannabe hardman running his mouth.

Any solution I get with the noise will be of my own making and without assistance. I appreciate all the help as usual folks. You've been super to me when it would have been easy to write me off as a prudish whinger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

How about changing your vent for one of These B&Q sell them
    When your putting it up seal around the edges with calk/silicone, also if you use the sponge you can then also close this during the night, I've both these in place in my apartment and have never run into any damp issues but our window vents are always open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

So any update, apart from the agression towards you. Are you still reasonably happy with the results, apart from the noise coming through the vent that is.

Yeah its much better. In the 19 days since i got the job done I have only heard next door going at it twice. And on both occasions it was the noise of the bedsprings (or whatever it is) rather than herself. So yes I would say the results are very good.

I'll just qualify that by adding that its still very early to tell though. In the back of my mind is the thought that maybe theres nothing to hear. However, I know its highly unlikely that your woman has only been at it twice in the last 3 weeks given her previous track record. So i'll give the process the big thumbs up so far.

The noise 'leaking' in through the vent is nothing to do with the system I got installed. The noise coming through seems to be almost no existant. I will add that you can still hear footfall and doors just the same. Those structural noises don't go away regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Another option to silence her mouthy little friend is to mention the vast array of visitors she seems to bring home for her bedroom antics at all hours of the day and night.. that might shut him up for a while.. ;)

Right I guess its time to post my final word (I doubt anyone has any questions left) on this matter.

Its one month on since i had the job done and I've only had the issue of hearing the squeaking noise twice. Other than that its been nothing. I think the squeaking itself (being so infrequent) is probably caused by the bed getting pushed directly in contact with the wall or something like.

I don't think I can any longer say to myself 'maybe there is nothing to hear' because clearly a month is long enough to have heard something

Anyway, the job itself has been unbelievably successful. It has given the type of improvement I had depseratley hoped for but never really would have expected. I'd say its 95% better than before. For the €1,300 I spent what its done for my peace of mind and also getting proper rest is immesurable.

So, if anyone has any sound issues I highly reccomend giving AcoustiFire a ring. And if the head man says your situation is suitable for the system then don't hesitate. Go ahead and do it!

Thanks for all the help and advice along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pearson

i live in a 3 bed semi d and i am considering aucoustic insulation, my husband is very handy and could install any products re building etc. i have come accross the following and was wondering has any one any experience of the following: CALIBEL boards, isostrip T system , Moyisover, rockwool - which might be the best to help with airbourne noise.?

Advertisement