Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit And Run - M2 Ashbourne To Finglas (7.15am)

• 24-12-2009 10:48am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

A girl i know was involved in a hit and run thismorning approx 7.15am travelling from Ashbourne to Finglas on the M2.

She was in a 2000 Toyota Avensis and was travelling in the inside lane, while been overtaken by a black jeep (Maybe Toyota also), the jeep veered into her lane clipping the rear quater panel of her car sending her spinning into the barriers and thus writting the car off!!

the jeep kept going!

at the moment she is ok i think, badly shaking but no doubt some pain will surface later or tomorrow when the adrelin (sp) calms down.

anyhow if anybody seen or might of seen anything, please get in contact.

Thanks
    (be carefull out there!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Outrageous behaviour, hope she is ok anyways, are there no CCTV cameras in the area that could catch the accident? Or even the jeep coming up or heading away from the area?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The-Game wrote: »
    Outrageous behaviour, hope she is ok anyways, are there no CCTV cameras in the area that could catch the accident? Or even the jeep coming up or heading away from the area?

dont know tbh, garda basically said, "we havent got much chance of catching thme now"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is a chance that the offending vehicle went on to the M50.

Ask the Guards if they can check the toll bridge cams.

kceire wrote: »
    dont know tbh, garda basically said, "we havent got much chance of catching thme now"

Sounds like laziness, if they really wanted to catch them then they could, with the amount of cameras in the surrounding areas im sure they could pick out the Jeep from some of the footage, yes there will be alot of traffic at that hour but atl east try and instill some confidence in your abilities to the victim of a crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Sounds like laziness, if they really wanted to catch them then they could, with the amount of cameras in the surrounding areas im sure they could pick out the Jeep from some of the footage, yes there will be alot of traffic at that hour but atl east try and instill some confidence in your abilities to the victim of a crime.

Eh there is no CCTV on the Ashbourne bypass and by checking the M50 toll what exactly would a Garda be looking for? A jeep among hundreds of other jeeps?

Perhaps you should ask for any other details that may not have been included the OPs post such as colour, make, model, partial reg number, unusual characteristics, witnesses etc etc rather than post something so silly and presuming as above.

Honestly people just think Gardai can magic up CCTV and information just like that.

Think people, think.

• Advertisement

Im quite sure if they checked surrounding areas leading in to the spot it happened and heading out there will be some CCTV Somewhere. Im aware theres no magic CCTV available, it hardly instills confidence when they say "we havent got much chance of catching them now" based on what the OP has said.

Im quite sure if they checked surrounding areas leading in to the spot it happened and heading out there will be some CCTV Somewhere. Im aware theres no magic CCTV available, it hardly instills confidence when they say "we havent got much chance of catching them now" based on what the OP has said.

Ok let me walk everyone through this.

Firstly the lady was struck from behind so Id imagine there is little or no chance of her getting anything of the reg or a look at the driver never mind a make of the jeep.

Secondly any CCTV would be mostly be in shops or banks/credit unions which normally are not facing onto the roads or streets.

Last of all this happened at 7.15am and it was probably still dark. In my experience to try and get a reg number from CCTV of any sort of vehicle during hours of darkness is next to impossible because the vehicle lights create a bright blurr on the cameras.

As I said earlier the only way this driver would be caught is if there was a witness who happened to get the reg or even a partial reg. To tell the lady it would be difficult to find the driver is correct but the incident would still be investigated. As it stands from the OPs post there is not much to go on but you never know, something may crop up.

/edit: Just so people know Im not trying to be smart but generally CCTV in this country is of piss poor quality due to a) the massive cost of installing a decent sort of system and b) not enough attention is given to security of a premises until something serious happens and even then most business owners do nothing. I know one shop which uses a 3hr video tape on a continuous loop and has used the same tape for well over a year. It is absolutely frustrating when you have the suspected offender on CCTV but all you can see is a blurry figure

Ok fair points there, i still think that the gards in question could be a bit more positive when speaking directly to a victim but sure thats just my opinion.

OP any news on this? how is the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

If u are unhappy with the response of the Guardai write a letter to the member in charge Ashbourne station--its their job They must make appropiate investigation
    Insist on a written response detailing progress to date etc
    Seems to me they are not intrested in your friends problem---too much trouble

You must be proactive ---the pen is mightier than the sword
    Ok fair points there, i still think that the gards in question could be a bit more positive when speaking directly to a victim but sure thats just my opinion.

twogunkid wrote: »
    If u are unhappy with the response of the Guardai write a letter to the member in charge Ashbourne station--its their job They must make appropiate investigation
    Insist on a written response detailing progress to date etc
    Seems to me they are not intrested in your friends problem---too much trouble

You must be proactive ---the pen is mightier than the sword

I agree there could have been a bit more positivity injected into the situation such as saying "will certianly look into it" but at the same time having some realism too. Im sure though the Gardai who attended the scene didnt leave the OPs friend standing on the side of the road until he/she was collected by a friend or relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

You're one of those people?

I for one always like the facts and the truth

TheNog wrote: »
    I agree there could have been a bit more positivity injected into the situation such as saying "will certianly look into it" but at the same time having some realism too. Im sure though the Gardai who attended the scene didnt leave the OPs friend standing on the side of the road until he/she was collected by a friend or relative.

Exactly a bit of positivity such as you suggested I'm sure would help the victim. Not sure if you were reffering to me but i didnt say anything about the Gardai leaving anyone on the side of the road.
    You're one of those people?
    I for one always like the facts and the truth

Yes i agree its preferable to get the truth but something along the lines of what TheNog said wouldnt have been a lie exactly, and im just basing this off what the OP has informed us so as far as I know something like that could have been said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Scumbags, hope they're caught :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Theres something fishy about this, not the story but the jeep. I seem to remember a similar thread along these lines a couple of years ago. I'll try to dig it up.

Sherlock Holmes here I couldn't find the thread.. but if I remember correctly the Garda checked the M50 toll bridge at around the time of accident not sure of the outcome of that though, maybe a mod could bring it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Theres something fishy about this, not the story but the jeep. I seem to remember a similar thread along these lines a couple of years ago. I'll try to dig it up.

Sherlock Holmes here I couldn't find the thread.. but if I remember correctly the Garda checked the M50 toll bridge at around the time of accident not sure of the outcome of that though, maybe a mod could bring it up again.

That was me. My accident took place within two stretches where NTR had lots of camera coverage. It was also at 6:10 am on a bank holiday Monday, when the volume of traffic would have been low enough that the vehicle could have been identified....I knew the make, model, year, could describe the driver in detail etc. There would have been a lot more for the Gardaí to work with than just 'a jeep'....Unfortunately the members involved didn't see any point in asking for the footage until a week after the space for recording video footage had been reused on NTR's systems, which is on a 4 week cycle...so 5 weeks after the incident took place.

The apathy I experienced in that case was that of just one Garda - Despite having asked her several times if I should contact NTR, she told me not to worry and she'd look after it herself....and didn't. I wouldn't think for a minute that all members would be that remiss in carrying out their duties, and I'm pretty sure most others would have acted and got a result. Still, that's life. And as TheNog rightly points out, footage of traffic driving up a road isn't enough alone...without CLEAR footage and some indication of what vehicle they're looking for, it's like searching for one needle in a haystack. It's perfectly fine to expect the Gardaí to do their jobs, but miracles aren't their line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hey Gil_Dub,

That is absolutely terrible, I'm very sorry to hear there wasnt a good out come for you, and sorry to drag it up again.. Theres a long list of dissatisfied members of the public that have had similar experiences with members of the force as you. Ok just the one member in this case but..

It really makes a case for those in car camera systems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

just an update guys, no further news at all.

the jeep was most likely a Toyota Land Cruiser, black in colour with bull bars is all she can remember. she is not 100% on it but thinks thats what it was.

the car is sitting in a field waiting for insurance assesor after the xmas, the girl is ok, just badly shook up after it but not a scratch on her thank god.

the guard said that there wasnt much they could do and in my opinion will not even bother checking local CCTV or the toll etc etc as im sure he hasmore importatnt things to deal with, ie he has to weigh up chasing a criminal or an RTA where nobody was hurt.

She was lucky to get away without a scratch if the car is that damaged. Unfortunate situation.

Advertisement