Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from O2 to Vodafone....

• 24-12-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies in advasnce if this is a repeat thread. I did a quick scan throught the first 4 pages and I couldn't find a similar thread. Anyway; I bought a new Ready to Go phone from the Vodafone shop in Castlebar and switched my number over from O2. Anyway, the switch took a bit longer than the shop said it would; I was told it would take between 2-4 hours. It eventually happened yesterday sometime! Anyway, I was out last night and I hd the new phone with me, the old one having been consigned to the bottom of the "various old rubbish" drawer. When I got back in I had a couple of calls on the landline asking me why I hadn't replied to texts and calls during the evening. I checked the old O2 phone and sure enough, the texts and calls had been routed through to that old phone. Yet I can't make calls or send texts from it (call barred!)! I was on to Vodafone and the lady who I was speaking to got onto their technical department and told me that the switching process had been only partially done (something about "porting"?) and that, due to the large numbers of people switching between networks, it could be another couple of days before the process might be complete. To be fair, she was very helpful and apologetic, but she said the only thing I could do in the meantime was to carry both phones around with me. She said to occasionally ring the mobile number from the landline and check if the problem still exists at various times over the next day or two. So I tried it and sure enough, the call went through to the old O2 number! To put it mildly, I'm annoyed. Anyone else suffering from the same problem out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Vodafone:mad::mad:

Convienent time for their porting system to break down, everbody must be jumping ship..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Yup I had the same issue but moving the other way. I can call and text anyone but the only calls and texts I receive are from o2 numbers. Everything else is going through to the old phone. No idea when it will be fully done but they told me too to keep checking every now and again. I think the vodafone servers are melting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zaraco101

I have a similar issue switching from Meteor to O2. The guys in the shop said it would take half an hour, that was two days ago! Currently my Meteor phone has been cut off, yet still no coverage on the new O2 phone. Annoying is an understatement. I guess I'll just have to wait it out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wealthyboris

The issue is that it is more than just transferring the number to another network - each "service" (e.g. Voice Inbound, Voice Outbound, SMS Inbound etc etc) needs to be transferred and re-enabled on the number on the new Network. Unfortunately this can mean during a really busy period like the Holidays when loads of port requests are in, people's ports as always can be partially completed, and then people are left without a working phone for an extended period.

This constantly happens that partial ports occur, just that with the Holidays on there's the double-fcuk of Carriers systems being inundated with port requests, and the dedicated porting teams being on holidays.

At the moment you have 2 options:
    1) keep doing battery pulls on the new device in the hope that their systems have eventually finalised your port in the meantime
    2) Wait until the Porting Teams are back working, which should be Tuesday, and call back then asking that they look at your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The issue is that it is more than just transferring the number to another network - each "service" (e.g. Voice Inbound, Voice Outbound, SMS Inbound etc etc) needs to be transferred and re-enabled on the number on the new Network. Unfortunately this can mean during a really busy period like the Holidays when loads of port requests are in, people's ports as always can be partially completed, and then people are left without a working phone for an extended period.

This constantly happens that partial ports occur, just that with the Holidays on there's the double-fcuk of Carriers systems being inundated with port requests, and the dedicated porting teams being on holidays.

At the moment you have 2 options:
    1) keep doing battery pulls on the new device in the hope that their systems have eventually finalised your port in the meantime
    2) Wait until the Porting Teams are back working, which should be Tuesday, and call back then asking that they look at your number.

Thanks
    Rob
    Tuesday? I'll have had the phone over a week at that stage! Just tried powering off and on; no good. Incoming calls are still going to my old O2 phone instead of the Vodafone handset. It's getting annoying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wealthyboris

blueser wrote: »
    Tuesday? I'll have had the phone over a week at that stage! Just tried powering off and on; no good. Incoming calls are still going to my old O2 phone instead of the Vodafone handset. It's getting annoying now.

There's nothing you will be able to do about it until Tuesday, when the dedicated Porting Teams will be back in place. Sorry the news isn't any better.

You can try calling Voda's customer service, but the "ground floor" staff are severely limited in what they can / cannot actually do. You may just have to wait until Tuesday I'm thinking.

Keep doing battery pulls in the meantime - if any automated changes do take place on your account, they won't be activated until the phone re-registers on the new network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

blueser wrote: »
    Porting will resume tomorrow at 10am between networks.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Cheers for the replies fellas (ladies?). Got a text last night from Vodafone on my Vodafone handset stating "Due to delays with porting your number you may only have partial service. We're working to resolve this for you and apologise for the inconvenience". I got this sometime yesterday evening, which is an improvement of sorts as I received a few texts yesterday afternoon and they came to my old O2 phone! Just tried powering off and on, but incoming calls are still going to the O2 handset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Sorry Captain I ment normail prting will resume this has nothing to do with Vodafones issues

Advertisement