Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video editing

Options
  • 24-12-2009 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm very new to video editing, and im just looking for a bit of advise. I've been using Fraps to record games me and a few friends are playing. I have fraps to record at 50fps as i notice at 30fps it is no where near as smooth as it would be while playing the game. The issue now is that a 1min clip is around 1GB in size. In one night i managed to record just under 1TB and i noticed on play back there are alot of pauses and skips, i wouldn't imagine this would be a problem with the pc i have (i7-860, 8gb ram, Primary SSD hdd, 4 x 1tb Samsung F hdd, Win7pro)

Does anyone know of a better program to use? Something that will record properly without all the jumps and jerkiness? Also, what is a good idiot proof video editing solution that hopefully would be free? And also, how would i go about compressing the file sizes from 1tb per min?

*edit*

Mods, if you feel this is better suited in another forum please feel free to move it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'm not aware of a better program, thats not to say it doesnt exist though. Problem is that the CPU is usually pretty taxed with the game already, leaving little overhead for on-the-fly compression. The reason for the filesize is that its impractical to compress video from a typical gaming resolution on the fly.

The dropping frames are probably happening during recording, it could be HD latency or a CPU bottleneck, yes, even with those specs. Use perf manager to see where its all going wrong. Try setting the affinity for the FRAPS process to one specific CPU core and remove the game from that core. That will "probably" fix the dropouts you are seeing, if its CPU based. Again tho, big res+uncompressed file will tax the fastest of modern HD's

If you want smaller files, you need to play the game in a lower res when you are recording with FRAPS or select the 1/2 screen option in FRAPS

Virtualdub will do the editing job for you with minimum fuss. You can chop out the stuff you dont want and then save it as Xvid or whatever. It doesnt do any fade-in or out, text or any of that jazz, but it is free.

Advertisement