Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train fully booked on IR site

• 24-12-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Just wondering if a train is shown as fully booked on irishrail.ie is there any point showing up there to just buy a ticket? Like do they only sell a certain % of tickets online?

TIA

gR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gerryR wrote: »
    Just wondering if a train is shown as fully booked on irishrail.ie is there any point showing up there to just buy a ticket? Like do they only sell a certain % of tickets online?

TIA

gR

afaik they only sell a couple of carriages worth of seats online - you can still buy at the station, and you can stand on the train as well. The maximum capacity of a train is generally higher than the number of people who could reasonably fit on it, they'll just keeping cramming people on as long as the doors can still be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ring and check first would be your best bet, may save an unnecessary trip to the station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Thanks for the replies, had to get a train so headed down anyway. as you said, they seem to keep the first few carriages for prebooking and therest are a free for all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Fully booked online only means the online seats are booked. That's one or two cartages out of six on most trains.

It's worth turning up early, but in all likelihood many trains leaving from now on will still have some free seats. From what I've seen other years, not too many people travel on Christmas Eve, with the bulk of people already left. Although there could be larger numbers with the bad weather and the state of many roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Your guranteed to get a sear usually only one carriage for online booking

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Forgot the train I was getting is only really a three-car set. Galway and Mayo three car sets travel as one half the way, and then split. Luckly I was here early, seats filling up fast.

All the signage and audio on the whole train is set for Galway. Confusing the hell out of passangers. Wait, manual audio just there saying which end was which.

Small sign at the platform enterance but few people bar myself seemed to have seen it. Also note at the end of the main timetable board, but that would not be clear for anybody who does not know about this spliting service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

monument wrote: »
    Forgot the train I was getting is only really a three-car set. Galway and Mayo three car sets travel as one half the way, and then split. Luckly I was here early, seats filling up fast.

All the signage and audio on the whole train is set for Galway. Confusing the hell out of passangers. Wait, manual audio just there saying which end was which.

Small sign at the platform enterance but few people bar myself seemed to have seen it. Also note at the end of the main timetable board, but that would not be clear for anybody who does not know about this spliting service.
    typical of irish rail keeping customers informed of changes to services and letting them knoe they are on the right train and in the right carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

foggy_lad wrote: »
    typical of irish rail keeping customers informed of changes to services and letting them knoe they are on the right train and in the right carriage.

True unfortiunately. On the other hand, splitting the set en route is a pretty good step forward IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fh041205 wrote: »
    True unfortiunately. On the other hand, splitting the set en route is a pretty good step forward IMO.
    and so easy to split the trains with the new carriages, would have needed two locos and several hours and "engineers" with the old trains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

foggy_lad wrote: »
    and so easy to split the trains with the new carriages, would have needed two locos and several hours and "engineers" with the old trains

I suppose in theory they could have had loco-car-car-car-loco-car-car-car on the old ones and simply of unhooked them. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement