Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell them about Santa

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Long, long ago, I (aged 5), could not sleep and so got up in the small hours of the morning to find my mum doing some last minute wrapping of my presents, having eaten the mince pie and drank the glass of milk left out for santa :( For a few years thereafter I did try to convince myself that santa existed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres an increasing number of kids in schools who do not celebrate xmas or santa. We got a note from the school, about being repecting this. But then they had an xmas fair and a santa at it. So bit of mixed message. But obviously causes some debate between the kids with different beliefs even from an earlier age than ever before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

chrisr001 wrote: »
    Patron Saint of Children?
    An Imaginary Being who answers their desires, not necessarily meant
    to be personified.
    The Spirit of Christmas.
    The Genie of Christmas.
    An expression of the creativity of innocent minds capable of
    believing in the "impossible" that can draw to them their heart's desires.

When did material personification of this aspect enter the picture?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Unless they are over at least 12, then do not be the one to tell them. Chances are they will know already, but I'd hate to be the one that OFFICIALLY told them. They'll not think kindly of you for it.

Personally I would never be the one to tell anyone. I'm pretty sure my 12 year old knows, but treated her the same as the younger two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

When my mother was 7, her mother took her aside a few days BEFORE Christmas and said to her "Now, T, you're old enough to know there's no such thing as Santa, and you won't be getting anything because we have no money" - she said over the years she had never forgiven her mother for doing that to her! Especially as she remembers there was always money for drink as every visitor got whiskey or brandy!!

So she told us when we were 9, after Christmas was over.

However, one brother found the presents hidden a few weeks before Christmas and some were exactly what he'd asked for - mum had no choice but to tell him even though he was only 6! To make it worse, he brought some into school the next day and told his friends about his find - that evening poor mum got an irate phone call from a parent!

Anyway, my oldest is almost 9 and I think he may already know but is not letting on! I'll continue to "play the game" until he's ready to disbelieve in Santa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

What do you say when the kids ask why Santa doesn't bring toys to the kids in the third world. They are more in need than us and yet we are expected to fill shoeboxes for them? Is Santa not meant to be nice. So why does he ignore the people who need something more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

What do you say when the kids ask why Santa doesn't bring toys to the kids in the third world. They are more in need than us and yet we are expected to fill shoeboxes for them? Is Santa not meant to be nice. So why does he ignore the people who need something more?

Tsk -That's when you tell them there's no god. Baby steps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

How would you break it to the kids that Santa is not real? What are you experiences? Have you any advice on how to go about doing it?

Thanks.

Actually he was real, so tell them the truth if the ask. The current Santa Claus is a Coca Cola invented figure from America. (Coca Cola invented the red dressed santa).

Tell them the truth, he was a Bishop who lived in modern day Turkey that gave presents to kids. Nicholas the Wonderworker. He had a reputation for secret gift-giving, such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him.

I have 3 kids and we never really taught them much about the "american" designed Santa. However we had to avoid that they would tell other kids at school and have a avalanche of crying kids and angry parents.

my 8yo got the message when she say the gifts were wrapped with the same paper as the rest of the family gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Im 30 and I dont believe what I'm reading here...:(

Lies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Ah now this is one of the things I used to test my parents with (along with requests left on christmas eve by the fireplace for a holiday in lapland the following year with an addendum "I'll never believe in you ever again unless I get it"). I'd leave a note saying "Please take my presents back and give them to needy kids oh and cure starvation in africa". Needless to say, none of this materialised. However, my parents came up with the handy explanation that they had to send a cheque to santa so he could cover his costs, which is why we couldn't get everything we asked for and why kids in africa got nothing - their parents couldn't afford to send a cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

ian_m wrote: »
    Im 30 and I dont believe what I'm reading here...:(

Lies...

Sorry you had to find out the truth here, Ian....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

OP, why do you feel you have to tell them? Why spoil it?

I have an 11 yr old Daughter and I will not for as long as I live admit or entertain the idea that Santa does not exist.

She questioned me inside out regarding Santa and I stuck to my guns. She often brings it up and I think what she is looking for is for me to admit something or other :eek:

Not a hope, not even when she's 40 and has a family of her own, will I ever ever admit such a thing. The words will never come out of my mouth. God forbid.

Maybe it's just a way I have of keeping something "alive" at Christmastime. Or just a " I know you know, or think you know something or other, but will not ever agree with what you're thinking" kind of thing. I hope ye understand what I mean.

Anyway, don't tell them. Let things progress naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Why do parents feel the need to tell their kids about Santa?

I will let my kids believe for as long as possible,My oldest brother kept it going for me and he was well in his 20's before I found out.. and even now he's 40 and has two kids of his own,and to be honest I think he believes all over again..If this (white lie) can bring a smile to a childs face for one day, Then what is wrong with that?

They are going to spend the rest of their adult life being told lies, bulls*hit and having people talking behind their backs..Let them live this moment for as long as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 free gaff?

my parents will never tell me but they no i no and ye why bother. im hardly not going to leave out prezzes for my kids lmao imagine tho if i did.

as you get older u simply dont care. i convince myself santa is real when xmas rolls around lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

text speak is forbidden on this site please don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

free gaff? wrote: »
    my parents will never tell me but they no i no and ye why bother. im hardly not going to leave out prezzes for my kids lmao imagine tho if i did.

as you get older u simply dont care. i convince myself santa is real when xmas rolls around lmfao

That's the attitude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

WHAT!!! theres no Santa???????????? NO.........................LOL

Advertisement